deja vu

Erich_121

MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Sometimes I get deja vu and its really bad. Do you think its what people say it is? Missfires of nurons in the brain? I personally think is a supernatual event. Its strange the french are the only ones that have a word for it. What do you guys think?

I remember having this as early as first grade... I swore I had live that year before, the teacher, the friends, the conversations. It was so weird... I never told anyone I felt that way, because I knew they'd say I was full of it. I'm not sure what it means, or how I feel about it... I'm hoping to hear more theories on the subject.

Interesting thoughts. But what about if you are having deja vu and you predict what is going to happen next and it does. That has happened to me at least 5 times.

Interesting article, [MENTION=3710]kiu[/MENTION]. It does make a lot of sense.

I'm wondering now if there is a term for feeling the sense of deja vu and not knowing why (due to the hazy memory explanation), but then actually remembering why you feel that way, such as having a dream where you perform that exact same action, getting the deja vu feeling, then remembering you had a dream the night before where that exact same thing happened in the same sequence. Would that fall under the category of deja vu, or is it something completely different?

(I know that was an awful run-on sentence, but did it make any sense?)

I get deja vu quite often. I seem to dream things about reality and then they turn out to be real. Its a very....weird feeling.

Interesting thoughts. But what about if you are having deja vu and you predict what is going to happen next and it does. That has happened to me at least 5 times.

Maybe deja vu is really something much more awesome that our neurons are experiencing, like a ripple in spacetime.

I often experience situations where I could have sworn I've either done them before in real life or in a dream. Or I have memories where I can't remember if they actually happened, or if I just imagined them, or if I dreamed them.

deja vu is different from a precognitive experience. deja vu occurs in real time where as a precognitive experience is a prior understanding of events about to unfold.

This is an important distinction if you want to do further research on all of this, which I encourage.

Thanks, [MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION], I agree.

Also, I have experienced serial incidents of d

Interesting article, @kiu. It does make a lot of sense.

I'm wondering now if there is a term for feeling the sense of deja vu and not knowing why (due to the hazy memory explanation), but then actually remembering why you feel that way, such as having a dream where you perform that exact same action, getting the deja vu feeling, then remembering you had a dream the night before where that exact same thing happened in the same sequence. Would that fall under the category of deja vu, or is it something completely different?

(I know that was an awful run-on sentence, but did it make any sense?)

Okay, I'm going to rephrase this and give an example to make it more clear (I hope).

In grade school, I had been absent for a few days because of the flu and hadn't received an important permission slip to be signed by my parents. I had no knowledge of this. As I went to my desk the first day back and opened the top of it, I had this very odd sensation of deja vu, of looking for something. I then remembered having a dream the night before where I had found a paper with brown marker on it underneath my science book. So, I proceeded to look for that book. That is where the paper was.

So my question is, does that fall under the category of deja vu because of a hazy remembering of something that had already taken place, or is it something entirely different, because I remembered the original source of the information. If it is different what would be the term for it?

Whatever you call it, it was weird.

Okay, I'm going to rephrase this and give an example to make it more clear (I hope).

In grade school, I had been absent for a few days because of the flu and hadn't received an important permission slip to be signed by my parents. I had no knowledge of this. As I went to my desk the first day back and opened the top of it, I had this very odd sensation of deja vu, of looking for something. I then remembered having a dream the night before where I had found a paper with brown marker on it underneath my science book. So, I proceeded to look for that book. That is where the paper was.

So my question is, does that fall under the category of deja vu because of a hazy remembering of something that had already taken place, or is it something entirely different, because I remembered the original source of the information. If it is different what would be the term for it?

Whatever you call it, it was weird.

I think this is an example of precognitive experience, which as I understand it is a form of ESP. I really know nothing about this but perhaps [MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION] can enlighten us and tell us if there is any scientific evidence of such a phenomenon.

I have totally dreamt things that end up happening, and I predict what people I'm close to are about to say ALL the time. It's freaky... I'll say, get away from me, we're spending too much time together! I get accused of cheating w/ partners in games due to "mind reading," and with one male friend, I picked the exact number he wrote down 2 out of 3 times, & guessed all the answers right on apples to apples that he would pick. His fiance` got PISSED and said he should marry ME since I knew him so well! Crazy weird...

So if we are able to predict the future, then the events up to that point are set in stone, does that mean we have no choices in life? Or are we made to believe we have choices?

So if we are able to predict the future, then the events up to that point are set in stone, does that mean we have no choices in life? Or are we made to believe we have choices?

I don't see it as a prediction exactly, merely probability, but we can always choose not to choose; that, too, is a choice.

I see it more as possibility...If you know predicting one result that you will end up with an outcome you dislike, change your behavior...make a different choice and thus change the outcome.

If you like where you see yourself heading, then keep doing what you're doing.

Precognitive dreams are a whole other can of worms entirely. They are really three separate things.

Deja Vu
Precognitive Experiences
Precognitive Dreams

Deja Vu is scientifically documented. The other two are highly debatable, though have been tested with moderately substantive results. My father has had numerous precog dreams and has written and documented his dreams and found them to be a real occurrence. I've had a couple of precog experiences myself, as well as many many deja vu experiences.

Other things to research pertaining to all of this:

Subliminal Awareness
Unconscious Perceptions
Resonance Theory

Last edited:
Thanks, @Wyote

The meanings of those different things seem to blur together for me.

I think it's because I wonder what would happen if I didn't recall that I dreamed it, and would want to classify it as deja vu. Deja vu seems to be defined as a sense of feeling like you've been somewhere or done something and it feels familiar, but you can't remember why it seems so and there is no physical substantiation that it actually occurred.

But I do forget my dreams sometimes, so how would I really distinguish between deja vu vs. a precog dream which I had forgotten?

I am beginning to confuse myself, lol!

Last edited:
Back