Digital age...

Entyqua

Forgotten
Retired Staff
MBTI
INF
Enneagram
messed up
Do you think the digital age is destroying collectibles?

Rare records, vintage copies, baseball cards, first editions, ect...

The only things I think digital has destroyed as far as collectibles go are audio and video cassettes; I never see anyone trying to collect the darn things, anyway. The collectors themselves have more influence over what's a collectible than the current digital age. For example, I know several gamers that, even though you can emulate just about every 'vintage' game created on your home computer, still collect the old cartridges.

The only things I think digital has destroyed as far as collectibles go are audio and video cassettes; I never see anyone trying to collect the darn things, anyway. The collectors themselves have more influence over what's a collectible than the current digital age. For example, I know several gamers that, even though you can emulate just about every 'vintage' game created on your home computer, still collect the old cartridges.
Just because there are people out there still collecting, doesn't mean the digital age isn't killing it.

I think thats what I am getting at...My husband has a really rare album One on vinyl, and one CD they are no longer worth anything because of the digitizing age...they are available in a digital form...so what is the point of collecting a disk?

Records, we have 50+ records from 1930-1970, there are some really rare records in there, but no one wants to pay for them...(they are my roommates, they are trying to sell them)

Older games yes, we have an Original NES FF1 that we have no way to play but we keep it because its they symbol of our generation.
My brother still has our atari system we had when we were kids.

I understand that there are still collectibles out there...

And rare collectors cards...We have the ENTIRE collection of Monster in my pocket first edition...they are worth nothing. Also the entire original garbage pail kids collection. Same thing...Same with baseball cards...

I would not collect video content...not really my bag.

personally I could careless for the value of the items I have collected, they hold more of a centimental place for me...but it stands to reason, that once upon a time the things you collected had value...

I just watch a show where a baseball card that at one time sold for 20k wouldnt even fetch 400 bucks anymore...

Back