Glorifying Mental Willpower

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I wonder why does society as a whole are prone to glorifying our mental willpower to the point of treating it as some sort of panacea?

Willpower is good. I acknowledge that completely.
I do get that personal growth is important. And that a lot of personal growth is fueled and kept running by our willpower.
I also get that putting responsibilities at the world and everything outside us can be destructive and just as imbalanced. Surely all of us know someone who keeps blaming the world and never moving, never growing, never trying.
Not to mention people who deludes themselves into seeing invisible hands and conspiracies playing behind everything happening in this world/ in their life.

But this seems to be more than that.
From social injustice, poverty, to psychological disorders and abuse, it is treated as if just your mind alone is enough to solve them all. Or at least, that your mind alone can drive you to the exit.

"If you keep your mind to it, you'll succeed."
bootstrap economy,
"just leave them!" whenever talking about people in abusive relationship,
"you're just not trying hard enough,"
"you're just lazy".

these sort of thing.

Because from my standpoint an unhealthy (do note of this) fixation of putting responsibility to ourselves do seems to cause a great dose of self-blame -- bearing the weights of the world on your shoulder, having to change oneself to keep everyone happy, always thinking one is not good or worthy enough...

Not to mention that not every problem are caused from inside. Abusive relationships, systemic discrimination, drug abuse, poverty... they have external factors playing; something that may be beyond our reach. Something that should not be accepted (much less with serenity), but cannot be changed. We can nudge ourselves to reach something better-- and truly for some, it's just what they need, a nudge-- but......

It seems to be just as imbalanced and risky as entirely blaming the world for the bad things that happened in one's life.

And yet, people seem to dislike those who complain about the world more.
Those who failed to break through their barriers and conditions are seen as morally or spiritually or intellectually or personally inferior.
Worse, they are deemed as if they aren't trying.
While those who bears the responsibility are hailed as paragons of virtue and bravery-- which, to some point, they are, but it was made as if everyone can do this.
Which is definitely not the case.

I wonder why.

(of course, opposing viewpoints are welcomed too, after all surely this matter is more complex than what I'm depicting.)

Can anyone learn to be "strong"? No, I don't think so. Some people just get destroyed. Why should we expect them to be "strong"? They can't do it! Protect them, leave them in peace, stop pressuring them to perform a personality development that is not their inclination. They can do other things, they can do what they want, they don't have to be "strong".

It's social energy exchange. Some people borrow energy and return a net gain. This attracts people because it charges them up. Other people just seem to drain energy. A lot of people guard their energy and their energy sources quite fiercely.

Can anyone learn to be "strong"? No, I don't think so. Some people just get destroyed. Why should we expect them to be "strong"? They can't do it! Protect them, leave them in peace, stop pressuring them to perform a personality development that is not their inclination. They can do other things, they can do what they want, they don't have to be "strong".
I agree.

On one hand, strength is a good trait to have. And to be a well-rounded individual is a good thing.
But...there are more than one standard.

For some reason strength (of physical and of mental) tend to be seen as the golden standard.
Determination. Willpower. Brute strength. Stoicism. Endurance.

It's social energy exchange. Some people borrow energy and return a net gain. This attracts people because it charges them up. Other people just seem to drain energy. A lot of people guard their energy and their energy sources quite fiercely.
So are you positing that part of it is ...charisma? That people seek strong people in hopes they can get a fragment of their strength-- whether metaphorically or literally?

So are you positing that part of it is ...charisma? That people seek strong people in hopes they can get a fragment of their strength-- whether metaphorically or literally?
It's vitality. It's how they keep their motivation and not have their life sucked out of them.

That's how it starts to feel for some people to be around somebody who seems to be in perpetual distress. It sucks their life away and pretty soon they're also in distress with them.

We see it quite constantly in our media and society…it’s the attributes people give professional athletes, it’s the idea that it was by sheer mental determination alone and not that they have the golden gene pool to match that got them to where they are.
It’s in our politics like you said…the idea of only having to work harder, to put your shoulder to the grind stone and pull up your bootstraps.
Like Ted Cruz recently said - “We need more welders than philosophers.”
Which is wholly stupid on so many levels, welders average 35,000 to 37,000 a year…not all that great.
While an average for a philosophy major is 81,200 a year.
To me, this is an example of the backlash from those who feel that a university level education is nothing more than liberal propaganda…laughable in itself.

There is nothing wrong with having a certain level of mental willpower…life would be meaningless and we would die from a failure to thrive.
We all have our gifts we are innately born with, and not everyone will fully realize the extent of what may lay dormant for years, or perhaps their entire life.
Here is a fantastic article about mental willpower and why it can fail us.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddi...-willpower-fails-you-and-what-to-do-about-it/

In the face of great difficulty/obstacles, one can either try to overcome it, or adopt a defeated attitude towards it.

No difficulty can be solved/overcome by a defeatist mentality. Even worse is defeatism pretending to try, but applying inadequate/insufficient means/effort/thought/resources to the task. If something is truly too much, I think it is better to humbly admit defeat and move on to something one can actually achieve, instead of fixating on a lost cause.

Back