How do you judge remakes and sequels?

Detective Conan

Doesn't Cast Shadows
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I'm not sure why, but lately I've been thinking about how others judge movies/television shows, their remakes, and/or sequels. For quick clarification, when I mention the sequel to a TV show, I'm not referring to its seasons, but rather an actual sequel with a different title than the original. So, forum, how do you judge the remake or the sequel of a movie/tv show?

For me personally, I try not to compare the movie being judged with the original. I believe that, even in a series, movies should be compared to what's currently in theaters if they should be compared to anything. For example, the Rocky movies catch a lot of flack because they aren't as good as the original. I wholeheartedly agree with that statement, but I don't agree with how people completely dismiss the quality of a movie based on a gross blanket statement. If you compare the Rocky sequels to other movies released around the same time, I think you'll find they aren't as bad as public opinion claims. Not fantastic, but not exactly worthy of taking home the gold at the poopoo olympics. I think this is true for plenty of other movies that have a few sequels. Compared to the original, they're terrible, but compared to what else is on the market, they come up average.

You could even take this further and compare the movies to other movies in the same genre. For example, let's look at "Jaws 4: The Revenge" and "Shark Attack 3: Megaladon." Neither of these films are great. However, if you compare them side-by-side, you might see how one isn't as bad as it could've been (although that doesn't excuse it for being another terrible unnecessary sequel). I think this kind of comparison can also illuminate some of the underlying trends that are developing within a certain genre, so it's more than just a justification for watching a bad movie.

For remakes specifically, I find it unjust toward the directors/writers of the remake to use the original movie as the standard for measure. I've always judged remakes for their quality by what else has been recently released.

My whole process for this is a little more detailed, so I'll probably post later on this thread. This is pretty much all I had time to write given the current situation.

Depends on how much I liked the original. I find that I will judge book adaptations more harshly. I love Robert Ludlum and have read the Bourne series several times--cause yea, I re-read books I love. I think the Bourne movies suck because they changed the premise of the book(s).

Depends on how much I liked the original. I find that I will judge book adaptations more harshly. I love Robert Ludlum and have read the Bourne series several times--cause yea, I re-read books I love. I think the Bourne movies suck because they changed the premise of the book(s).

Exactly! I read the books written by Ludlum after seeing the first two Bourne movies. When I found out that Conklin and Marie were pillars of the original story and that both were killed off by the start of the second movie and that there was no Carlos, I was like WTF what's wrong with you Matt Damon!? You've got tons of money! Why are you ruining the name of such an epic spy saga with your ridiculous series of stunts?

Sorry, but I DO judge it and compare it to the original. How can you not? Same thing with a song remake. I always say if you can't make it better than the original, or at the very least come up with something that is fresh and unique, why both? Too much shit is redone simply to make a buck. Producers nowdays are afraid to go out on a limb. They would soon take a tested idea that they know will make some money due to the interest in the original, than take a chance that something might bomb, but could also end up being something great.

And there is the "that's my movie" factor too. The fear that putting out a new movie that Joe Smoe has a half assed script for that is somewhat similar. Joe then sues and gets a piece of the movie if he's lucky. If not they have spent time and money in court. We are now movie remake happy in Hollywood are we not??

Sorry, but I DO judge it and compare it to the original. How can you not?

Firstly, I didn't mean for the OP to sound condescending if it did.

Secondly, I avoid judging remakes and comparing them to the original by keeping in mind that the movies are only really the same in the underlying concept, and I don't think that's enough to compare two movies that are years apart in publication. Plus, the movies weren't made for my generation; different things today are going to work than what was done when the original was made. While I do wish Hollywood would stop remaking movies, I think the remakes are doing some good in that they are sparking an interest in the current generation to go see the original film/s. For example, I know I never would've pursued the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre without that remake/revival thing that came out a few years ago.

Firstly, I didn't mean for the OP to sound condescending if it did.

Secondly, I avoid judging remakes and comparing them to the original by keeping in mind that the movies are only really the same in the underlying concept, and I don't think that's enough to compare two movies that are years apart in publication. Plus, the movies weren't made for my generation; different things today are going to work than what was done when the original was made. While I do wish Hollywood would stop remaking movies, I think the remakes are doing some good in that they are sparking an interest in the current generation to go see the original film/s. For example, I know I never would've pursued the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre without that remake/revival thing that came out a few years ago.

No it did not. I just cannot see a remake of somethink and not think of the original if I have in fact seen it. You are able to do a bit better in staying apart it sounds like. I don't mind remakes, just give me something that's good or at least original in concept. The remake of Planet of the Apes by Tim Burton (love him btw) is a great example of failing to do either. Yes it had a bigger budget and better Special Effects, but it failed to surpass the original in story (didn't care about any of the characters) and failed miserably at being original. It did try though, but it all came out too confusing. I mean at the end... Aperham Lincoln? WTF was that about?

How about Shaft? Do you ever really want to make a "B" movie into an "A"? That just doesn't work. I did like the remake of "Lost in Space" a few years ago. Yes that remade a TV series but I thought it was well done. And it also had the distinction of knocking "Titanic" out of the number one box office spot after a gazillon weeks, so for that alone I will praise it! :D

I think a big problem with remakes is that at the moment the studios seem to be remaking everything, including films that were well done originally (Planet of the Apes, King Kong etc.).

What they should be doing is remaking things that were good concepts but were never done well or completely lost their way in the past. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were successful because the concept of Batman had never really been done right, the tv show was too campy and the 90s movies were also too campy. In this instance the concept was great but it was begging for better execution. That is the only time when a remake is appropriate. To a lesser extent the latest Star Trek movie achieved this by bringing the concept closer to the original after the TV shows had lost their way.

Movie studios should be remaking BAD movies, not good ones.

I think a big problem with remakes is that at the moment the studios seem to be remaking everything, including films that were well done originally (Planet of the Apes, King Kong etc.).

What they should be doing is remaking things that were good concepts but were never done well or completely lost their way in the past. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were successful because the concept of Batman had never really been done right, the tv show was too campy and the 90s movies were also too campy. In this instance the concept was great but it was begging for better execution. That is the only time when a remake is appropriate. To a lesser extent the latest Star Trek movie achieved this by bringing the concept closer to the original after the TV shows had lost their way.

Movie studios should be remaking BAD movies, not good ones.

Very well said! *taps beer flagon on counter*

Sorry, but I DO judge it and compare it to the original. How can you not? Same thing with a song remake. I always say if you can't make it better than the original, or at the very least come up with something that is fresh and unique, why both? Too much shit is redone simply to make a buck. Producers nowdays are afraid to go out on a limb. They would soon take a tested idea that they know will make some money due to the interest in the original, than take a chance that something might bomb, but could also end up being something great.

And there is the "that's my movie" factor too. The fear that putting out a new movie that Joe Smoe has a half assed script for that is somewhat similar. Joe then sues and gets a piece of the movie if he's lucky. If not they have spent time and money in court. We are now movie remake happy in Hollywood are we not??

I agree. It is laziness on the part of Hollwood to come up with an original idea.
When I see a remake advertised my first reaction is often, "Why?"
I do judge them against the original. In my opinion most remakes are inferior to the original. Often they seem dumbed down for today's audiences.

It really depends on the person, I think. Anyone has the capability to seek films from any age, so I guess statistically there are others like me that seek the originals of films remade today. Judging by my coworkers, most of which are

Last edited:
Back