INFJ Causes

subwayrider

Into the White
Sep 26, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
"INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. Those who are activists -- INFJs gravitate toward such a role -- are there for the cause, not for personal glory or political power. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless.

Strongly humanitarian in outlook, INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally "doers" as well as dreamers. This rare combination of vision and practicality often results in INFJs taking a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn.

INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. In their own way, INFJs are just as much "systems builders" as are INTJs; the difference lies in that most INFJ "systems" are founded on human beings and human values, rather than information and technology. Their systems may for these reasons be conceptually "blurrier" than analogous NT ones, harder to measure in strict numerical terms, and easier to take for granted -- yet it is these same underlying reasons which make the resulting contributions to society so vital and profound."

Thom Yorke, a famous, alleged INFJ (he probably is), is shown below protesting against "Star Wars" US Missile Defense. He is also a vegetarian, showing he cares about animals.

View attachment 10207

Do any of you INFJs have any causes you fight for? What are they? If you don't have a cause now, have you ever? What made you give up on it, if this is the case? Do you think having these causes is an essential part of being INFJ?

I wouldn't say I have a particular "cause" now, but I'm always looking to help people in some way, shape, or form (with volunteer work and what not). I think I may have stumbled into a cause worth following (in my morality course)... but at this point I'm not sure how to best approach/solve problems on such a large scale. I'm not well versed in this typology stuff, but I can say that I've always felt compelled to help those in trouble/and find justice for those who have been wronged (especially those cases involving victims who were children/innocent).

Last edited:
"INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. Those who are activists -- INFJs gravitate toward such a role -- are there for the cause, not for personal glory or political power. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless.

View attachment 10207

Do any of you INFJs have any causes you fight for? What are they? If you don't have a cause now, have you ever? What made you give up on it, if this is the case? Do you think having these causes is an essential part of being INFJ?

I don't fight for a cause, but I do spiritual counseling once a month at a local Rescue Mission for the homeless.

It may not be essential to being infj, but it is certainly useful for both parties.

This is one of the things that makes it really difficult for me to find work right about now. Let me count them!

The "top" on the list are:
Animal Rights
Vegan/Vegetarian Lifestyles

The not-too-distant seconds are:
Labor Unions/AFL-CIO
Equal Rights/Pay/Work/Etc.
Endangered Species Protection
"Food" Rights - Non-GMO, Organic, local, etc.
Environmental/Clean Energy

Some of these are a product of my environment, so to speak; growing up and living in the urban sprawl of New York City. Others have just happened over time.

I used to have quite a number of causes. Somewhere in the hurricane of emotions that was my adolescence, I was a vegetarian for a year.

Most recently, I started being involved with SOS Children's Villages, which is a charity organization that builds homes for orphaned children. They have villages set up in most countries in the world.

I've done 100 hours of volunteer work, only because I wanted to. I used to be obsessed with the idea of helping other people, and that being my path in life. I managed to lose sight of this somewhere in there. I think of myself as a "Fallen" INFJ, in that respect. I hope I'm able to regain my goodwill and idealism in the future.

Reactions: endersgone
I don't fight for a cause, but I do spiritual counseling once a month at a local Rescue Mission for the homeless.

It may not be essential to being infj, but it is certainly useful for both parties.

How has your experience in counseling been?

i'm a magician with a deck of cards.

I don't even buy the magic that went with the deck.

I guess that's one of the ways that I diverge from the "typical" INFJ description. I've never really gone out to do charity work and I wouldn't call myself a champion of some sort of cause.

I don't even buy the magic that went with the deck.

I guess that's one of the ways that I diverge from the "typical" INFJ description. I've never really gone out to do charity work and I wouldn't call myself a champion of some sort of cause.

That's because you're an INTJ.

Yeah...maybe. Do you want me to be intj?

Hehe. No, based on your appearance, I wouldn't say you are. But, appearance isn't much to go on.
I just want you to be happy, bickelz!

Reactions: bickelz
Mostly growth.

Maybe gay rights, but I don't think I'm as.....verbal as I am with growth, as far as gay rights are concerned. :|

I'm trying to get a trap-neuter-return program started for the feral cats in my area. Unfortunately I live in a semi-rural community and people don't understand the concept. They're fine with ferals but the population is exploding. And, three of these cats in my neighborhood could actually be adopted if they had someone willing to work with them on the finer points of being a cat. (ie don't scratch the hand that feeds you. It's in play but it still hurts.) So I'm trying to find homes for these three. They're all attention hogs that try to trip me up on the way inside the house. And yes, they were true ferals. They appeared on my doorstep three months ago, when they were five months old, though I'd seen them before and watched them from some distance. Then I started feeding them and they soon learned that the price for being fed was that I touched them. Now one of them will climb into my lap, and ironically he's the one who accepted the petting last. All three will accept petting without food now, and the longhair calico will accept a full brushing.

I'd love to be their home but we may have to leave this summer to pursue an internship, and also we're not allowed indoor pets although we do let them in occasionally to warm up.

I don't understand people and people don't really understand me. But I have always felt an affinity to animals. Having been adopted rather late (I was eight, and by then the chance of being adopted is almost nothing by the way) I feel a connection to the homeless, the abused, the rejected animals. The ones who once had a home but came home pregnant one day and tossed out. And yes, that happens around here. Or the ones who were cute as kittens but when they grew up were just tossed outside. I feel for them and it pains me that I can't do more for them.

I have given free lessons and tuition on various arts for 6 years to people who can't afford, mainly guitar.