Is it just me? (INTJ'S)

middle1

Hellur
Feb 21, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Undecided
Or do they know exactly how to hit below the belt? I love intj's, I suspect my Dad is one, I know a few others, but my God, they know exactly what to say that will inflict the most pain. If I had to define it by type, they are the only ones I feel threatened by most but at the same time I ♥ them the most out of other types.

Honestly, I'd have to say I disagree. The type most likely to hit below the belt is an NJ, but not INTJ. It could be that I've not met too many angry INTJs, but I think an ENTJ/ENFJ would be more likely to. Just look at my posts. :m159:

Yeah, I think that we have that ability too but we resist because of Fe. I think this is a very Ni trait to know just how do kill one's spirit or feeling of self worth. I think of random stuff to say that would hurt all the time but I never do because, it would hurt them.

Reactions: middle1
Honestly, I'd have to say I disagree. The type most likely to hit below the belt is an NJ, but not INTJ. It could be that I've not met too many angry INTJs, but I think an ENTJ/ENFJ would be more likely to. Just look at my posts. :m159:

I can definetly see the ENTJ/ENFJ issues. I don't know why, but I can get over those types and our natural conflicts (I think) but intj's seem to be more intuitive about me then myself and that scares me?

Or do they know exactly how to hit below the belt? I love intj's, I suspect my Dad is one, I know a few others, but my God, they know exactly what to say that will inflict the most pain. If I had to define it by type, they are the only ones I feel threatened by most but at the same time I ♥ them the most out of other types.

Yes. They seem so unaware of how to deal with emotions that it's ridiculous.
But I've only dealt with one so maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, I think that we have that ability too but we resist because of Fe. I think this is a very Ni trait to know just how do kill one's spirit or feeling of self worth. I think of random stuff to say that would hurt all the time but I never do because, it would hurt them.

ESFJs do it well, but do it very, very, very, very rarely.

[MENTION=3615]aerosol[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3545]bickelz[/MENTION]

You both have good points, Fe! Maybe they are too objective compared to me and don't realize the impact of their words? I know at times, I can say things I regret, but I always feel remorse and feel the need to clarify or apologize.

[MENTION=3156]saru[/MENTION] My husband is ESFJ, hehe. I have a coworker who could be his double plus 30 yrs. age. Ahhh!!! :p

@aerosol and @bickelz

You both have good points, Fe! Maybe they are too objective compared to me and don't realize the impact of their words? I know at times, I can say things I regret, but I always feel remorse and feel the need to clarify or apologize.

@saru My husband is ESFJ, hehe. I have a coworker who could be his double plus 30 yrs. age. Ahhh!!! :p

I am the complete opposite of my INTJ friend. He would never understand a decision based on emotions or taking a risk. Everything is logic and rationality. The worst part is that it's no point trying to discuss anything, because you'll come off looking like an emotional mess. He seems to think he is just being a "realist" with his thinking, but that's not true at all. Or at least I see a lot of pessimism in his way of looking at the world.

Mmm...I'd say an INFJ can hit below the belt the best. Mostly because we do it intentionally when we do it, and we know exactly how to say it to do the most damage. INTJs don't necessarily hit below the belt for an emotional reaction. If they hit below the belt it's because they're seeing something inefficient and they want to streamline the process. I really don't think INTJs hurt people intentionally; intentional damage is more of an Fe thing.

It really is. Fe has a need to show the inside of itself to its environment to accomplish closure and satisfaction. Thus it tends to whack below the belt when its deemed necessary.

[MENTION=442]arbygil[/MENTION] Good point. I have worked with a particular intj for 6 years now. Thinking we were comfortable enough with each other, I teased her today about a typing error she had made that somebody else pointed out to me (cause we can usually do that with no harm, no feelings), but she said something extremely hurtful a few hours later. I guess being emotional, I thought she might have taken my joke seriously, because she brought something up that really hurt me but managed to laugh the whole time she said it. The reason why I took this to heart is because she always says things that are so abrasive (usually in front of the people she is referring to) that I assume that she does this purposefully.

And when I say something (insulting or not), I usually have some sort of personal reaction for saying it at all, with much regards to the people I am saying it to.

Mmm...I'd say an INFJ can hit below the belt the best. Mostly because we do it intentionally when we do it, and we know exactly how to say it to do the most damage. INTJs don't necessarily hit below the belt for an emotional reaction. If they hit below the belt it's because they're seeing something inefficient and they want to streamline the process. I really don't think INTJs hurt people intentionally; intentional damage is more of an Fe thing.
I agree with this. I'm one to keep the peace with my friends, and go to great lengths not to step on any toes. If I seriously say something really nasty, it tends to hit home and people know that it had to be said that way.

Last edited:

This is correct. If there is a function that is capable of identifying your (and others) values and morals, then it would Fe. Ni+Fe is more capable of finding your value system what you hold dearest and what you care about, and if it so wishes to target it with an attack, it will know exactly what to say to hit hard.

Ni+Te will be able to identify your reasoning and what you deem as correct and incorrect, rather than what you deem worthy or not. It doesn't care much for attacking you personally, but rather attack whatever it thinks to be inconsistent in your understanding when interested.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Eh, I intentionally say a lot of 'horrid' things to people to get them thinking.

I don't think this has anything to do with type. That said, I do have this ability, especially, if I become suddenly angry. My tongue turns into a razor. If I get to this point the relationship is over. You are now officially out of my life.

Mmm...I'd say an INFJ can hit below the belt the best. Mostly because we do it intentionally when we do it, and we know exactly how to say it to do the most damage.

It hurts to think about it, but I fully agree. An furious INFJ can inflict severe emotional damage. We are like psychic berserkers. Although we deeply regret it afterwards.

It could just be the witty-sarcastic charm that us INTJ females are blessed with :m027:

Otherwise, my INTJ husband does (also) seem to say things that could be taken wrong if I thought he meant them that way, but honestly they're usually not meant to be rude. We're not mean, our humor is often just misunderstood :)

Slightly offtopic, but...

I don't think this has anything to do with type. That said, I do have this ability, especially, if I become suddenly angry. My tongue turns into a razor. If I get to this point the relationship is over. You are now officially out of my life.

This interests me greatly because Fe-types don't do this. We show anger when we want the other person to recognize our emotions and react according to how we want them to. If you hang around ESFJs, you will notice they cycle between a lot of different emotions at short intervals, including laughter, anger, sadness, etc. but none of them last for long. In contrast, when Fi types show anger, it is used as their last resort, and out of genuine frustration rather than as a manipulative tool.

Fascinating. :)

Hmm. Maybe it's more of a foot-in-mouth syndrome? Saying something, and having it come out in a different way than intended? I'm guilty of that often.