Is your ISP part of the anti piracy scheme?

Peppermint

MBTI
uwot
Enneagram
_
http://torrentfreak.com/isps-and-tr...-start-six-strikes-anti-piracy-scheme-120928/

Soon, five large U.S. Internet providers will begin to warn and punish alleged copyright infringers as part of the “six strikes” anti-piracy scheme. While details are still scarce, TorrentFreak is informed that MarkMonitor will be responsible for tracking down alleged infringers, and that an independent expert review of the evidence gathering technology has been completed. ISPs have also been making progress and several are now ready to start sending out warnings, although none of them wants to go first.

The MPAA and RIAA, helped by five major Internet providers in the United States, will start to warn and punish copyright infringers later this year.

After more than a year of uncertainty we can also confirm that MarkMonitor has been hired to track down alleged infringers. MarkMonitor, which often operates under the name DtecNet, is the only tracking outfit working with the CCI.

In 2010 DtecNet was acquired by MarkMonitor, but it continues to operate under its own name. DtecNet already works closely with the RIAA and MPAA and is also responsible for collecting data on copyright infringers as part of the Irish three-strikes program.

Although little is known about the accuracy of DtecNet’s tracking software, TorrentFreak previously pointed out that the company knows very little about how BitTorrent works. A whitepaper published by DtecNet was littered with painful errors and false assumptions and has since been retracted.

isp-strikes.png

Mediacom, one of the larger Internet providers in the United States, has not joined the controversial six-strikes anti-piracy scheme set to start later this year. But that doesn’t mean Mediacom customers can pirate without consequences, on the contrary. The Internet provider rigorously terminates the Internet access of subscribers who receive two DMCA notifications and after a third notice customers are permanently disconnected and banned for life.

Mediacom has a unique interpretation of their perceived obligations under the DMCA and they include cracking down on those who are accused of sharing files. Effectively, Mediacom has adopted the most rigorous three-strikes policy that we’ve ever encountered.

Customers who argue that someone else must have used their connection to share infringing material will also lose their Internet access. Mediacom argues that the account holder is responsible for whoever uses the connection, without exceptions. In some cases the the ISP adds to the injury by charging an early termination fee.

http://torrentfreak.com/us-internet-provider-disconnects-alleged-pirates-120925/

i'm not completely against this, and at heart, it's a good idea.

But things like this far too often end up with less than desirable results/consequences.

Good intentions can oft go awry.

**ETA**: and yes, my ISP is part of this so called "anti-piracy 'scheme'"

This will be used as one of a number of ways to crush political dissent, which there is going to be more and more of as the economy collapses

I'm with Verizon....but do not use torrent as I do not have enough bandwidth anyway.

Still.

In the old days.... [she says with a creaky voice].... we could loan or give a book to anyone we chose. We could also share our albums of music. To me - not being able to share or give or loan - what was legally purchased - is bullshit.

Comcast I hate you. And I'm not looking forward to going back to you! I'm surprised Centurylink hasn't yet decided to join this group.

You can download but you can't share. I think that's how law goes here, even lawyers say it's unclear. "Keep your mouth shut" kind of rule.

Piracy always existed, I think. I remember taping cassettes/VHS and loan them to someone else. I remember buying(!) xerox copies of the textbooks. We had no Internet, we had no chance of buying them. It was a piracy act too, wasn't it? As for now: I've bought dozens of DVDs in the past that deeply disappointed me. The same with going to the movies. Your opinion doesn't always match those of movie critics or other movie-goers. Such a waste! There's no Netflix or anything.

I know quite a few people in the U.S.A. who are afraid of downloading like a plague and are afraid of being taken down for it. It is sad, imo. Yes, I'm not from the anti-piracy camp. At the same time it doesn't mean I don't buy books, films, etc. I support the ones I favour. I still like real paper books, btw...

That is cute.

You know they can log your ISP and provide your personal information to authorities? And comcast even requires you to give them your SSN, so they'll really be able to check up on you and hit you with piracy fines and jail time if this goes through.

I hate comcast. I'm not for piracy per se, but I know that they'll just be using ISPs as instruments to help track and impose ridiculous fines on some teenagers who can't get over their bieber fever. If they only go after distributors like the creators of sharing websites, that wouldn't be so bad.

This will be used as one of a number of ways to crush political dissent, which there is going to be more and more of as the economy collapses

I for one would like to political disenters crushed if they're pirating lady gaga

I for one would like to political disenters crushed if they're pirating lady gaga

lol

The people who have helped lady ga ga to the top of the pop world are the same people who are trying to control the internet

The music industry is tightly controlled and only those who are favoured by the corporations will be given air time

The internet is great because it can allow anyone to get their music out there

For people against piracy, I have to ask - Why? This isn't about plagiarizing someone else's idea. This is about copying a physical product.

The organizations taking charge of this are not the artists; they are the companies profiting off of the artists. Out of a $15 CD (even if you go track by track for $.99 downloads), the artists making that music receive, on a good day, about $1.50 for each sale (or about 9 cents off the downloads if their contracts cover it). The way they make money is by touring and with actors, their rates are based on box office sales - neither of those things can be pirated.

A "Gold" record is classified as one that sells over 100,000 copies. That means, the group makes about $150,000 off the album - split about 4 ways per individual, you have each member making close to $35,0000 off the album. Considering it takes about 1 year for most groups to release an album, that's a $35,000 yearly salary for each member if they release at least a Gold album each time.

So in reality, artists make almost nothing off of the albums they create.

On the other hand...

If tickets at a box office cost about $40 artists can negotiate any percentage they want of that price. If they're good and their agents are good, they can get close to 50%. If a medium hall can hold 1,000 members and they sell out, that's a total of $40,000 with $20,000 going to the band. Split 4 ways is $5,000 a piece. Multiply that by 50 shows in a year... $250,000 per year.

The ones losing the money due to pirating are the multi-billion dollar publishers who do nothing but capitalize off of the artists initial creative works in the first place. If you want to support the bands, go to their concerts. If you want to support the actors, go to the theaters. The only ones you support by buying the commercially released products are the companies capitalizing off the creative ideas of others.

PS - And yes, I spent close to 10 years being a disgruntled, "indie" Rock musician....

Back