Maybe something you did not know

Thank you for posting this, @Eventhorizon . Overall, I found the technical aspect interesting, but felt that the rest of the video suffered from a heavy dose of generality more synchronous with the MBTI than Jung's original conceptualization of personality. I wonder: according to the information presented, is one considered a personality because of their neural wiring or does one have the neural wiring because of their personality? If the first, a complex gathering of genetics presumably plays a large role in scripting individual brains, their activity, and responses to stimuli. If the second, some degree of fluidity and, well, control is implied. Can one permanently change their personality by manipulating, say, the sensitivity of their RAF to input? Would psychological issues result from this as a result of lifestyle changes and reformed behavioral patterns? Has any of this ever been done? Something for me to think about...

Thank you for posting this, @Eventhorizon . Overall, I found the technical aspect interesting, but felt that the rest of the video suffered from a heavy dose of generality more synchronous with the MBTI than Jung's original conceptualization of personality. I wonder: according to the information presented, is one considered a personality because of their neural wiring or does one have the neural wiring because of their personality? If the first, a complex gathering of genetics presumably plays a large role in scripting individual brains, their activity, and responses to stimuli. If the second, some degree of fluidity and, well, control is implied. Can one permanently change their personality by manipulating, say, the sensitivity of their RAF to input? Would psychological issues result from this as a result of lifestyle changes and reformed behavioral patterns? Has any of this ever been done? Something for me to think about...

Awesome post and good questions. I just found the video in a haphazard way while surfing.

Of interest perhaps. Recently I have found I have little energy among other issues. Read up about it and it seems this can be caused by not getting enough sleep. I also read about a drug called Provigil that is supposed to keep you awake and focused. After doing some research, it seems this drug focuses people and while I can not give you specific measurable reasons for this, I think it makes people more "intoverted". This because of watching several videos of people taking it and their friends video taping to record the effects. In a few of them, the friend says, he wasn't his normal out going self...etc.

Couple this with the most recent video above, I have to guess if this drug isnt causing more brain activity. I know, I am implying introvert brains are more active. Honestly though this is the way I have always thought, it seemed to me I was simply thinking more than most people I knew. I felt more, "conscious." All this before I knew there were other people like me.

Anyway turns out I got a prescription for this drug (I cant tell you how exhausted I felt, I needed something) but the drug was (stupidly, unbelievably expensive) couldnt afford it so I never took it. Maybe a good thing because after some blood tests it turns out I had deeper issues than just losing sleep.

Oh just read this over... Losing sleep does not equate to taking a drug that keeps you up. The idea was because of my odd shift hours, stay awake when I need to be awake so I dont fall asleep while working or driving etc...

I'd say it is both. You have to have some kind of pre wiring in order to have for example a first experience. After developing in a womb there's going to be a first thing that you see, or feel, or think about, or react to, so there must be a mechanism in place in order for this to occur.

Also to an extent the brain has plasticity so that experiences shape personality. Yet your personality shapes your actions, which effect your environment, your environment effects your experiences in a feedback loop.

You have some control over your experiences by choosing things like where to be, and to some extent how to act, this of course effects what you experience. It determines what your brain receives as input which of course eventually effects your thoughts and emotions.

There's most likely a limit to plasticity though especially as one gets older and there's likely some kind of limit with the threshold of how much can be changed with a given amount of effort. Kind of like a rubber band - yes it will stretch but only so far.

I'd say it is both. You have to have some kind of pre wiring in order to have for example a first experience. After developing in a womb there's going to be a first thing that you see, or feel, or think about, or react to, so there must be a mechanism in place in order for this to occur.

Consciousness and its handmaiden of perception are distinct from personality. One unit is an awareness apparatus and the other is an interpreter, though I will grant that perception is a bit of both because it changes and is changed by experience and personality. To use a rough analogy, the former form the cornea of our mind's eye that allows information to pass into us and the latter is the lens that shifts and flexes to accommodate and refract that information through our psyche.

Also to an extent the brain has plasticity so that experiences shape personality. Yet your personality shapes your actions, which effect your environment, your environment effects your experiences in a feedback loop.

After pondering this thread for a few hours and recollecting a few lectures, this is the conclusion that I arrived at. Pruning (1) is the primary mechanism by which learning and memory operate; neurally, we either use connections or lose them. Using Dr. Nardi's brain imaging study on different personality types as a reference, I wonder if we are primed by our neural maps to give extra attention to certain angles of information such that we prune together some kinds faster or slower than others. I, for example, am identified as an INFJ and tend to naturally pick up humanistic strains of thought very quickly, particularly where behavior, motivation, and morals are concerned. *Shrug* I tend to think that personalities are inherently neural in nature and evolve - but do not fundamentally change - through conscious effort (i.e, developing the Ni-Fe-Ti-Se ladder of cognitive functions).

Anyway. The "nature versus nurture" debate is outdated: they're intertwined, not separated. Each has their own sphere of influence that contributes to a greater whole.

You have some control over your experiences by choosing things like where to be, and to some extent how to act, this of course effects what you experience. It determines what your brain receives as input which of course eventually effects your thoughts and emotions.

There's most likely a limit to plasticity though especially as one gets older and there's likely some kind of limit with the threshold of how much can be changed with a given amount of effort. Kind of like a rubber band - yes it will stretch but only so far.

I agree completely.

yep i did know this. i did however enjoy looking at her lovely breasts. don't judge me - you noticed them too!

Consciousness and its handmaiden of perception are distinct from personality. One unit is an awareness apparatus and the other is an interpreter, though I will grant that perception is a bit of both because it changes and is changed by experience and personality. To use a rough analogy, the former form the cornea of our mind's eye that allows information to pass into us and the latter is the lens that shifts and flexes to accommodate and refract that information through our psyche.

Yes they are distinct. I define personality as one's behavioral and emotional response patterns, and these are typically present from birth (not yet well defined or complex, but present)
One has a personality at that point, even if not their fully developed and complex personality. It's a bootstrap that initiates development.

Or in other words it's not only how you consciously see yourself responding to the world inwardly, it's also how you actually and visibly respond to the world outwardly as well, and can even include unconscious elements.

Ah, the classic Nature versus Nurture. Yeah, it's hard to know.

For some reason, seeing Laci Green on that caught me a bit off guard :P
Good post.

yep i did know this. i did however enjoy looking at her lovely breasts. don't judge me - you noticed them too!

Absolutely.

Back