Motive

Zebraf301

Community Member
MBTI
Infj
Enneagram
Does an investigator investigate, because he needs to be investigated?

Everybody needs to be discovered, but does an investigator have a stronger sense of urgency?

Last edited:
Uh [MENTION=5530]Zebraf301[/MENTION], that's kind of a strange question. Why do you ask? Are you being investigated? I thought they investigated cause they were excops or something and the pay was pretty good, they can be their own boss, and they don't have to deal with being shot at. Granted everything I just said has nothing to do with real life and has come completely from every TV show I've watched about PI's.

Seriously though, why do you ask?

Uh [MENTION=5530]Zebraf301[/MENTION], that's kind of a strange question. Why do you ask? Are you being investigated? I thought they investigated cause they were excops or something and the pay was pretty good, they can be their own boss, and they don't have to deal with being shot at. Granted everything I just said has nothing to do with real life and has come completely from every TV show I've watched about PI's.

Seriously though, why do you ask?

Oh geez, my worst offense was a speeding ticket 6 years ago. Really. No, I don't know if it's a cop/nurse thing, but you know how you just tend to be a magnet to some people, and then invisible to others? Well I feel like I lighthouse to these investigator types, and they make me nervous as hell. I don't trust, or quite understand yet, what the nature of their invasive curiosity is with me. They do it in a way that makes me feel like I've done something wrong when I really haven't.

I can feel how creeped out you are. Is this happening in a professional setting or is it personal like they're coming on to you? Pardon my curiosity. If it's too personal you don't have to respond - I undersatnd. I've found with certain professions people will sometimes use tactics from their profession to impress people. It could be some control/intimidation tactic that investigators use. If someone was making me feel that uncomfortable I would report them either to my superior or theirs. Unless you're in a professional situation where you have to comply, but even in that scenario there are boundaries. You can probably find out what those boundaries are by asking your supervisor or theirs. I don't know the exact situation but I can definitely hear how creeped out you are. SOmething doesn't sound right.

Don't let it. It means he has more secrets than he can handle. That is frightening in and of itself.

Last edited:
Does an investigator investigate, because he needs to be investigated?
Everybody needs to be discovered, but does an investigator have a stronger sense of urgency?

Wow, my post is going to be unpopular.

In a non-professional day-to-day sense I tend to investigate the following:
  • Character, because it takes time for it to be revealed and is a better measure of a person than most anything else and thus valuable.
  • Any issues of consequence, because I have a sense of responsibility to not let stupid things pass under my watch.

If only people discovered each other. Instead too often they tend to cast suspicions and supersitions instead of having the character and discipline of intelligence to investigate the evidence and employ rational examination. Sometimes you need to just sit back and understand what is going on instead of listening to people's spin on things.

Secrets are not others business unless they impact others. When they do impact others, depending on the severity, they become the business of more than just the secret keeper. But that is or should be subject to common sense and not acting out of fear or poor character in dealing with such things, as one would hope. Some secrets are harmless. Some are less so.

The way I see it, to pry into others for no good reason except cowardice to the unknown or that outside of control (in effect the suspected secret) is usually hypocrisy unless the motive of childish fear isn't kept a secret but revealed with the forthrightness expected for the other party to reveal the secret. Which tends to be rare.

When someone tries to pry, I usually just tell them I have nothing I want to say about it. When I do pry, I give the other person the option not to reveal anything they don't want to and the time and space to make that decision. Everything has run smoothly thus far. No faith has been breached, but so far instead it seems to have strengthened between people and myself.

Last edited:
If all else fails get a tshirt that says "back off you're creeping me out" :becky:

Or, maybe I'll just wear my Spock, and Dr. Who shirts more often, and not wash them. Wear lipstick all around my mouth, with a fancy pear of swimming goggles. :).

Or, maybe I'll just wear my Spock, and Dr. Who shirts more often, and not wash them. Wear lipstick all around my mouth, with a fancy pear of swimming goggles. :).

Can't say I wouldn't stay away from you if you looked like that :becky: but then you might scare off the ones you actually want to get to know. If only you could have that wierd stuff on one side and then on the other side it says something like "just kidding". But only show the "just kidding" side when you want to. On second thought, you might end up walking away backwards from a lot of creepy investigators :becky: You might end up a patient on a different floor in the hospital if you look and act like that too though :becky:

Seriously though. I think I would be creeped out if investigators were asking me invasive personal questions. Try saying "why do you ask" or "why do you want to know", or if it's a professional situation, "what does this have to do with the investiagtion". I don't know if all of that would just engage them more though. You could make up a juicy fictitious background of being a previous serial killer that has been reformed, etc., etc.,

I hope it works out for you. I attract my own kind of creepy people. I think we all have some strange groupies of sorts. Our own personal dysfunctional fan club :becky:

Last edited:
Back