Processing vs disassociation | INFJ Forum

Processing vs disassociation

I feel like I over analyze some things from all perspectives until I'm not sure which perspectives I actually agree with. Lol.

I looooove your username. That's me, seriously. I feel the need to tell everyone that I am just a ball of contradictions, so as they are getting to know me, they don't think I'm all over the place or weird. Lol. I just told somebody that today actually.

Reactions: Ginny and Free
I don't think it is the way it works. I think it's more the other way around: we dissociate to process. Our function stack is actually quite dissociative in itself, especially our judging functions allow us to be more objective than other types. We have to feel what others feel, noticed by Ni and Se, to know what we should feel. This is how we are able to become social chamelions and how we can understand before we judge with Fi, our "sixth" function, the function we are secretly good at, but don't value as much.

Moreover, isn't it what processing is about? Dissociate and understand? Isn't that what psychologists and therapists always make their patients do?

Missing information, which we can't get by an Ni-Ti loop, is the reason for overthinking. We try to simulate every possibility in our heads to get at the truth, but because there is information missing, we can't get there. This is when we tap also into the shadow functions, Ne sowing doubt in our conclusions, and Fi making us frantic (at times also fidgety and panicky), Te as the PoLR function making us hate ourselves for doing this in the first place because it knows we can't get anywhere (and we are unable to be efficient), and Si is so undervalued that we doubt what we thought we knew and try to remember and fill any gaps with Ni again, creating the illusion that events passed differently than we thought.