Reading comprehension

Aaron Hepi

Regular Poster
MBTI
INFJ
Does anyone else have problems reading text about history?

I am perfectly capable of read text that is thick with ideas and abstraction; but find it very difficult to read anything about history. I struggle to comprehend it all.

Are there any other INFJ's with this problem? Do I have a learning disability?

How many times have you tried?

Are you genuinely interested in history or just like the idea of being interested in it?

How many times have you tried?

Are you genuinely interested in history or just like the idea of being interested in it?

A lot. Ive picked up all sorts of books on politics and recent history to educate myself. The latest one was called This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein. I can't read it. Im not too interested in history though.

In order to retain information you need something to generalise it to. If the concepts and words are entirely new to you it is very difficult to process. If this doesn't apply to you then i don't know.

I get the same same thing with neurology books because of the absurd number of technical terms and similar sounding words

You could try skimming first. Read the index at the front of the book then leaf through the entire book in one sitting reading only chapter and section headings and bold text. Also look at any diagrams or drawings. Do not read the main text no matter how tempted you are. Once you've done this go back to the beginning and start reading normally.

This is an excellent way of improving knowledge retention and should help

I enjoy reading theories and concepts, but I also struggle with reading heavily detailed content as well, especially history because there is an overabundance of facts, one after the other without explanation. The following tips have helped me.

Segment the writing. Globs of text are hard to filter because they present so much detail at once, sometimes without explanation. It's just fact after fact after fact. Tedious writing is also difficult because it simply states facts without narrative or story behind it. In other words, the big picture or overall meaning is unclear, so it's hard to process the details.

To begin, don't always start reading from the beginning. Flip through the article, book, or section and read a passage which catches your eye or interest. Skip around and read what interests you most. Research a few terms or facts online between readings. This makes reading more interactive, and fun.

If you want a more structured approach, try this. Break down the chapter, section, or article you are reading into parts. Organize those parts by themes. Then, determine the main idea or purpose of the first section in the article or passage. Identify the main idea or topic sentence/thesis, and set this aside from the supporting details. This way, you're not paying attention to every single detail all at once. If the text is available online, copy it in parts to a Word document, and read it there, using colored text or highlighting to feature passages which stand out as significant because you have a question about it or you want to explore this idea in more detail.

Don't worry about remembering the information when you read it the first or second time. This is the biggest mistake made by readers of dense material, they worry too much about remembering rather than reading to understand. First rule is read just to get a sense of the passage, not to store information or amass data. Don't stress yourself out about it. Don't worry about remembering or paying attention to every detail or fact. If you are new to the topic or subject, just read for general knowledge or reference. Later on when you are more familiar with the area, you can embrace the details.

All the best!

Don't worry; reading history is hard for me as well, and I happen to like history, which in my opinion makes it worse.

I find that watching a CrashCourse video or other introductory video before delving into dense textbooks has been really helpful to grasp the bigger picture and acquaint myself with the terms. If that's not possible, I go to the end of each chapter in my textbook and study the terms, important dates, and themes, before reading the chapter. Then, I segment my reading, reading one section, taking a short five-minute break to digest, and then moving on.

Of course, sometimes, I don't have time for that, and the quality of my knowledge retention suffers, but this is something I try to do if possible.

For history, when I was younger I realized that I comprehend and retain it MUCH better when I put what I am reading in context. I absolutely need some sort of visual representation of an event if I'm going to remember it after the final exam. If I set up a scenario with action figures or models or just draw out the scene it is very helpful in placing it into my mind and how it relates to everything.

My reading comprehension is quite good to boot, never had a problem with Shakespeare or Homer or any "complicated" journals I've taken the time to sift through, but knowing your strengths and how you absorb information goes a long way in giving yourself the best and most effective learning process.

To give you an example; for the Civil War I set up actual battles with generals and mapped out areas. I played out their tactics with high ground and sunrise and supplies availability. It gave me a broader view of how everything transpired and I aced the exam, plus I still remember a lot of particulars about Grant, Sherman, Lee, McClellan, Fort Sumter, Antietam, Gettysburg, Bull Run etc.

Back