Recommendations?

Nixie

Resurrected
MBTI
ENTP
So, I don't have internet or cable at my house---uh, by choice. I read alot and watch movies. I also have a 40 minute drive to and from work everyday.

@Korg recommended A People's History of the United States (by Howard Zinn) to me and I am engrossed in it right now. He told me that I would have to dedicate some serious time to reading it and I didn't believe him. I usually read very fast and can zip through a book, but I find with Zinn's book I have to go slower to savor it. I had to go buy it this weekend cause I found myself wanting to highlight stuff.

So Anyway....I am looking for other recommendations. Movies, books, music. Especially some good CD's to listen to on my commute. I like to listen to entire CD's at a time in the car---very loud. So keep in mind, I am looking for entire CD's that you think are good, not just one song.

If anybody else tries out someone's suggestion, also feel free to leave feedback--I know I will. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stu
i enjoy looking at allmusic.com on the internet because they rate albums critically and i can find ones that might interest me personally. my favourite cd is complete swan lake conducted by antal dorati, i like the drama, and the sense of beauty, the orchestra is shimmering and it is so fascinating to hear something like that in mono as it makes me aware of how unnecessary stereo is. and lately i am trying to listen to to bach's brandenburg concertos played by orchestra of the age of enlightenment, it's an absolute trip, i have to stop because it makes me feel too much.

Morphine----"cure for pain" "yes" ,"good" and "like swimming" I listen to these guys alot

@Korg recommended A People's History of the United States (by Howard Zinn) to me and I am engrossed in it right now. He told me that I would have to dedicate some serious time to reading it and I didn't believe him. I usually read very fast and can zip through a book, but I find with Zinn's book I have to go slower to savor it. I had to go buy it this weekend cause I found myself wanting to highlight stuff.

Yeah, I'm not even a 1/5th of the way through it. It's just something that I want to really pay attention to and consider along the way. And I tend to fall asleep when I read while tired so that makes my opportunities limited. But I'm not in any rush - although I'd like to finish by Thanksgiving (how ironic), I suppose.

For CD's I'd recommend Crepusculum's Sky Diaries or Sing on in Silhouettes. Both are free. They're quite relaxing though, so if you're tired they might not be the best choice. Still you'd have to download them somehow. Could use a flash drive at a library or other public access point.

Took a look at some passages from that book and now I want to read it.

Back