Resilience

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Part 1 of 2. (I apologize if the topic has been made before. I tried searching it and it wasn't there)
What do you think about resilience, as a personal trait?

Personally speaking, I consider both resilience and adaptability as a trait overlapping/part of/connecting with mental toughness as a trait, but it's also a different entity on its own.

Do you believe you have this particular trait? How do you develop it-- or how does one develop it?
What is important to develop this particular trait?
What differs between resilience with perseverance and/or patience?

Resilience is really important if you want to do anything in life, it's up there with persistence. Fortunately it tends to develop quite naturally with experience and age; I'd imagine on a biological level, the same kinds of stimuli will stop having as much effect on you over time, as your body adapts and equilibriates physiologically to its environment.

Am I resilient? In some respects. In others, I'm inordinately fragile.

In order:

1) It is highly economical to have, frustration tolerance is vital for growth and achievement.

2) Yes and no. I flow like water, but am as glass when actually struck.
3) The presence of and acclimation to pressure.
4) Struggle and a sense of self to demarcate gains and denials with.
5) I'm not sure what the difference would be if one even exists. Resilience, the ability to "bounce back" from adversity, seems like a product of endurance, which contains the coupling of thoughtfulness (patience) for at least some forethought and the willingness to follow through with them (perseverance). All of which contribute to personal growth, what I consider in this bleary-eyed response a fancy term for pain management. /noncommittal shrug

It is a great trait to have. It CAN be obtained through natural levels of stress or uncomfortable situations, but I obtained mine much quicker by using self-verbal abuse on my part and placing myself in stressful situations early on so I wouldn't falter later in life.

Back