What books shaped your destiny?

Lucidmoon

Community Member
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Say what?
images

This book about ascended masters, aliens, time travel and other dimensions blew my mind and actually propelled me down a path viewed as conventional by most.

images

This was one I least expected but the influence this book had on me cannot be understated. I literally went from being an atheist to becoming a born again Christian while reading it though I do not think that was the author's intent.

Reactions: the
Books....very interesting subject. For me, it was particular lectures/presentations and/or places that most shaped my destiny. Based on these initial encounters further study and reading came. The book titles may not make much sense without the context, now that I think about it.

images

gave up drumming within 4 months of reading this book and am now applying to colleges to become a counselor. even beyond whatever path im taking in life, it's what began to open my eyes to the biases and subjectivity i see reality through, thus allowing me to recognize the truth of myself and my environment, though it's just the beginning and i've still got a long way to go.

67210827.jpg

On an abstract level:
Gandhi's autobiography struck a chord with me because of how open and honest he was (with himself and others) about his continual search for truth. Just reading about how he tried so many different things, learning through experience what worked for him and what didn't, has made me more open to experimenting in the name of finding spiritual truth for myself. Nothing has ever presented the search for truth in such a clear and personable way to me.

and-the-band-played-on-politics-people-and-the-aids-epidemic.jpg

On a practical level:
I had absolutely no interest in public health or epidemiology before reading this book (I didn't even really know what they actually were). Now I'm planning on making my career in one of those two fields. I've always been interested in diseases but had no idea how to incorporate that into my future. It was a light bulb moment--reading it made me realize exactly what I wanted to do with my life.

images

This book about ascended masters, aliens, time travel and other dimensions blew my mind and actually propelled me down a path viewed as conventional by most.

images

This was one I least expected but the influence this book had on me cannot be understated. I literally went from being an atheist to becoming a born again Christian while reading it though I do not think that was the author's intent.

I agree that Anne Rice's ability to bring us to the spiritual is unparalleled. That book was awesome, as well as the Mummy and all the Witching Hour series.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (I can honestly say this book brought me from living in the future and the past to living and understanding what it is means to live in the present moment. For those on the spiritual path it also holds profound meanings of what it is to be connected to earth as well as the spiritual realm.)

and

The Ultimate Secrets of Self Confidence by Robert Anthony ( the title is a cliche self help oriented; but the book is completely practical tool for anyone struggling with self esteem, self hatred, depression, etc)...i always return to this book whenever i am down and out.

breakfast.jpg

Vonnegut had always been one of my favorite authors, but Breakfast of Champions put into words so many things I had been thinking, and how so many 'fundamental' aspects of society really just do not make sense to me.

200px-DanielQuinn_Ishmael.jpg

Recommended to me by [MENTION=564]bananaphone[/MENTION], and is possibly my favorite book. It was so captivating and enthralling, that I read it within two sittings at work. It challenged me to deconstruct almost all of my views of humanity into their basic building blocks, and put them back together in a rather horrifying way...but a way that makes perfect sense. I recommend this book to everyone and anyone.

zinn.jpg

I haven't finished it yet, but I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a different perspective on American history.

Reactions: acd
on Howard Zinn

zinn.jpg

I haven't finished it yet, but I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a different perspective on American history.

@mf

I'm thinking I'd like to read that book. Coincidentally I had emailed myself a speech given by Bill Moyers about Howard Zinn...

here is part of what he said:

Obviously Howard Zinn would not have us leave it there. Defeat was never his counsel. Look at this headline above one of his essays published posthumously this fall by the Progressive magazine: DON

I agree that Anne Rice's ability to bring us to the spiritual is unparalleled. That book was awesome, as well as the Mummy and all the Witching Hour series.

Agreed. The way she described Jesus and Lestat relating to him awakened a long dormant longing to have the same thing. I loved The Mummy and The Witching Hour series though I no longer read books like that. Still a huge fan of sci-fi, fantasy and fiction in general but not any of the darker stuff.

images

A poetic narrative of the life of the Troubadour and the Father spirit who places him on Terra to call his people back to him. Stunning, sweeping, powerfully simple.

I think that a book can shape your view about the world only in combination with your other experience and conclusions. Most books I 've read were important at their time, until I was finding the counter-argument and they were becoming graphic. Most of the books I 've read are not an important part of my personality but an important part of my history.

Let me introduce you to what I consider life-changing staff:
It was only when I had met some particularly religious muslims, some really committed spiritualists and vegeterians and it was when I had doubts about the morality of my stick-to-the-tradition grandma, when I read "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris. I don't know the extent of the discussion of that book in the US, but I do recommend this book to anyone who ever questioned the global phenomenon of different religions and if anyone can find a rational argument against his owns please do send me an e-mail.

Another very important book for me is "Fields of wheat, Hills of Blood: passages to nationhood in Greek Macedonia" by Anastasia Karakasidou. This book is not a great novel or has changed peoples' life, but this book is the end of my (non professional) research in Balkan History. Although this book is quite academic and it does not result in an obvious way to my conclusions, while I was reading it I created doubts about states, institutions, parties and personal choices in creating what we call a "nation". I am eventually able to say that because of that book I stopped thinking in "national" terms and I wrote at the end of it "I am not proud for where I come from but for who I am".

A book that affected me in a negative way is "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coehlo. This guy really got me into believing that if I want something too much it will happen. I was believing into the battle between good and evil, randomness and signs for several years. I had to study a lot to overcome these perceptions. Until I found "The road less traveled" by Scott Peck. This was what I needed in my life, a method for self-awareness.

Another psychiatrist whom I consider charismatic is Viktor Frankl. In his book "Man's Search for Meaning" he did not give me any new ideas but he wrote down what it took me years of hard experiences to realise. Not only life has a meaning but we have the responsibility of not letting it unnoticed.

Lastly, I cannot not mention some classic books: "Thus spoke Zaratustra"by Fr.Nietze, I did not really read it, it was too tiring to follow but it was quite good help to realise that there are more ways of thinking, maybe better than the ones I knew.
I did read "Crime and Punishment" and "The idiot" by Dostoyevski and I was shocked by the description of vivid characters and the depiction of the depth of the human soul. It opened my eyes. Everyone should read a Russian writer at least once in their lifetime.
And there is only one book that made me say "I found my favorite book": "The Saviors of God: Spiritual Exercises", translated by Kimon Friar, an essay on humanity by N.Kazantzakis, but there is no particular reason for that. Maybe it was because I was young and it was the first book that spoke aloud what I was feeling, or because it is well-written.

I hope I did not get anyone as tired as I am now that I mentioned all the above, but it was an enjoyable exercise. :m118:

Waking Maya - It's about a woman who discovers a path to find her father whom she never met, and it takes her on a spiritual journey and sees how the world is being altered by a small group of people working vortex's.

51DpQcQBxNL._SS500_.jpg

Custer Died for Your Sins by Vine Deloria
I also enjoyed Joseph Campbell

For self help, I would agree that The Road Less Traveled by Peck was better than most of the guru books out there.

0140449248.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just the absolute best fiction I've ever read in my life. Dostoevsky's writing is beyond words. The Grand Inquisitor bit, especially, is something that will always stay with me.

Holy Bible influenced my life more than the rest combined.

Thank you to those suggesting Dostoyevsky. I've been told to read him more than once and feel almost a physical pull to his work. I've been putting it off for far too long.

Grace Livingston Hill's series of books
The Secret Garden
The Basket of Flowers

Back