Disadvantages of MBTI

uuu

Donor
MBTI
I
I've been thinking about whether knowing (or at least assuming we know) so much about ourselves might backfire. I often here praise for the MBTI and Jungian functions to the effect of, "It's so great, you can bring out all you're awesome functions, Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, and make yourself a better person...."
However, I'm worried that folks around here might start to take their type or function descriptions too seriously, and start to act to fit the mold rather than modify the mold to fit themselves. (And I bet there's a function that defines that difference...). Might people trip over the differences they have with a "typical" member of their type, and end up with their own internal issues?

I searched and couldn't find a thread like this, but merge away if there's already one.

that's an issue of any system. some see it as a measure to reach whilst others a means to see their faults and grow from it. both can be taken to unhealthy extremes and it's just a matter of moderation that is needed to keep everything in check.

The flaw that I always point out is that the system is clearly a generalization of only 16 personality types for billions of people on a planet. Some people will fit the stereotypes and others will not fit them. I happen to be someone who takes the test and if I get a result, the description just isn't fitting. It is based on surveys of sample groups that tend to be misleading. It is especially discriminatory when they use it for tests in order to gain access to a career/job.

On a less technical social level, this is mostly pure opinion now, I think that MBTI leads people to thinking like they're playing Pokemon. When I say that I'm being completely serious.

"What type are you?"

"What types get along?"

"What types are going to beat each other out?"

A lot of people will mistake the test for some sort of guide that's going to teach them who is going to be 'good' for them and who is going to be 'bad' for them. People who understand MBTI the best usually see it as more of a tool and something that is, obviously, nothing to base your life around, but something that can be useful to certain groups of people when they match the description...which a lot do , there are just a few whom really don't fit. All in all it's just one of many types of personality theories, I was never one for those sort of 'sciences'.

sometimes i wish i could just be the only type in the world.

other times i wish this type system never existed.

I think what slant and Indy said are true. That being said, I believe it becomes bad when it's overdone. I guess as a tool personality types, like everything else, shouldn't hinder our perception nor halt our movements; that's when it's becoming disadvantageous. When done properly, it can help you see people. (when you want to see people as 'hues' instead of personalized colors, for instance)

The thing that adds to more disadvantages is that assuming that all types are all the same in every aspect. Way of thinking, life perspective, political views, hobbies, favorite artists, genre of musics, favorite type of sex.....

Another thing is to avoid / condemn a certain thing / action by applying functional / MBTI codes on it, and later simply avoiding those. Am guilty of this.

You can sum it up simply: Personality is a gift, it is not an excuse.

+1
-----------------------------
Its important to note that MBTI personality theory is just that. A theory.

So why is everyone so worked up about it? I don't see people describing physical theory-which can be just as flawed, confusing, and sometimes downright contradictory- as disadvantageous. We simply say there are flaws... and when it is necessary to apply theory we take the useful parts that are generally shown to be reliable....

People get fair warning... This is a Theory.... this does not account for... not everyone is going to fit perfectly into one of these 16 types... no shit sherlock.

Granted... I can see how it would be easy to just ignore these warnings (wanna know why there aren't a lot of physicists?) but I don't see that as a problem with personality theory... just our treatment of it.

Last edited:
I don't like how types have forced people to categorize themselves. I do like how they have brought us together.

I think that personality typing is useful for learning to accept people but in fact is often used to divide people and establish superiority. Also, not enough emphasis is placed on the fact that MBTI and related theories are intended to type healthy people, not mentally ill people.

I think it has helped me a lot actually, I've always felt very different and I now know that I'm not just "weird" I will say however that I think the system is nowhere close to perfect and can only really be used with a bit of skepticism.

You can sum it up simply: Personality is a gift, it is not an excuse.
Pretty much this.

How many times have I found myself trying to blame other people's less-than appropriate behaviour on their type?

And as Slant and others have said, the system can be very overly generalized, and it isn't fool proof. Nobody is going to fit perfectly into the mold of a type.

I often here praise for the MBTI and Jungian functions to the effect of, "It's so great, you can bring out all you're awesome functions, Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, and make yourself a better person...."

Well no, because you can't do that.

However, I'm worried that folks around here might start to take their type or function descriptions too seriously, and start to act to fit the mold rather than modify the mold to fit themselves.

Not really, because people who truly do take it seriously, develop the knowledge to know differently.

I consider myself to take it seriously but I use that to develop my knowledge in the subject, changing my behaviour to fit the mold would be the opposite of learning and understanding it better.

and start to act to fit the mold rather than modify the mold to fit themselves.

But who outside of MBTI/Typology forums does this to the point where it affects their everyday lives? Or do people only do this to fit into an internet community? If they do, they probably don't take it seriously at all.

I relate the MBTI on the level that it helps to understand my cognitive functions. I consider it more of a legend on the roadmap of life.

PS: [MENTION=528]slant[/MENTION]; Pokeman???!!! REALLY!! I have to take away cool points for knowing how Pokeman works...

The main problem with MBTI is people too often fall into the trap of seeing the functions as skills rather than preferences, they also somehow manage to make a hierarchy out of a system that is supposed to be flat.

Back