Evolution vs. Creationism | Page 17 | INFJ Forum

Evolution vs. Creationism

Is not love as such that has tremendous influence on our external world?

Religion ≠ Love

Well, at least love for your fellow man, which is sadly lacking in most religion. Love is wasted on make believe.

I dare say I hate it not when love picks a flower to hand to another. I dare not say anything against one whose love has them to fall on their knees in a moment of thanksgiving. Repressed lives are from those that fall short of finding that they search for; hearing the limb crack under foot, only to crawl back to the safety of the tree trunk. The fruit is out on the limb. We hold onto an overhead limb and reach with one hand while stretching one foot as far as we dare. We hear the cracking and stretch yet that last three inches to the fruit we seek. What a joy it is when we have it in our hand. It is no burden. It is joy.

You can have your fruit, but the branches you break off land squarely on the heads of those with their feet on the ground. The fruit is in the heart of your fellow human, not in some mystical being.

As for the things of the flesh; hate, envy, and the likes: is it not these things that cause that which you hate and grow weary of? It certainly is not love.

Religion is a breeding ground and a veil of acceptability for such things!

Last edited:
Religion ≠ Love

Well, at least love for your fellow man, which is sadly lacking in most religion. Love is wasted on make believe.

But it can = love. It sure as hell does for me.

Then they are not the same thing.

Last edited:
Duty:

Your argument is just as insensible and based on logical fallacy as you claim gloomy-optimist's is.
Human science is founded on human sensory data, whether with technological enhancements or not. The human physical sensory receptors are limited in their scope to certain types of input, i.e. limited wavelengths of light for the eyes and limited wavelengths of sound for the ears. Any scientific deductions and theories constructed are the results of the interpretation of human physical sensory reception.
To assume that the interpretation of the data received by human physical sensory reception is the only means of obtain 'truth' is not founded on any definable proof, therefore, does not follow a logical line of reasoning.
Is human logic and reasoning the only logic and reasoning?

Are you making the assumption that logical reasoning and deduction are the only means of discovering and confirming 'truth'?
If so, then the logical reasoning and deduction you are referring to is human logical reasoning and deduction. In other words, you believe that human logic is the only way to 'truth' and you have faith that Logic, Reasoning, and Science is the only means to discover 'truth', because there is no proof that this is a valid assumption.
What proof is there that human logic and reasoning is the only means to discover 'truth'? Historical proof? Argumentum ad populum proof?
How does this position differ from the position of the religious, spiritual, or mystical individual disclaiming Science as a path to 'truth'?
What evidence besides reference to the architectures of human Science, Logic, and Reasoning can be given to refute the experiences of spiritual, religious, and mystical individuals?
To assume that human Science, Logic, and Reasoning is the only means of discovering 'truth' is a bare assertion fallacy.

Because something cannot be measured, reconstructed, or experimented on by human science is not justification for its dismissal. It only demonstrates the limitations of the interpretations of the data received by human physical sensory receptors.

As example, you can be certain that the colour 'red' is the result of the physical properties of the human visual receptors, and there would be little refutation of that assumption yet, if a human is born colour-blind, how do you explain the 'truth' of the colour red?
For this colour-blind individual to accept your 'truth', this individual would have to take it on faith that you are correct even though this individual could not obtain personal experience of this 'truth' or confirm its validity by any empirical data available. This individual would have to assume and take a 'leap of faith' that what you are describing is 'true'.
I state this example not as "the exception proves the rule" or a "proof by example", but to demonstrate that human Science, which is grounded in human logic and reasoning and founded on the interpretation of the data received by of human physical sensory receptors is limited, at best, and may not be the only means of experiencing and exploring the mystery we call Existence.

There are multiple accounts of mystical experience from multiple sources around the world, from differing religious view-points, and at various times in human history which, when compared with one another, exhibit quantifiable and definable characteristics of what is termed 'the mystical path'. These characteristics can be examined and correlated, which can lead to theories concerning these experiences which human logic and science has not the means yet to encompass. I would cite the book Mysticism: A Study in the Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness by Evelyn Underhill as one such examination.

To dismiss another's experience because the architechture of the system you determine is the path which demonstrates 'truth' does not support the other's experience differs not from a religious architechture dismissing the claims of proof the system you adhere to advocates.

Duty:

Your argument is just as insensible and based on logical fallacy as you claim gloomy-optimist's is.
Human science is founded on human sensory data, whether with technological enhancements or not. The human physical sensory receptors are limited in their scope to certain types of input, i.e. limited wavelengths of light for the eyes and limited wavelengths of sound for the ears. Any scientific deductions and theories constructed are the results of the interpretation of human physical sensory reception.
To assume that the interpretation of the data received by human physical sensory reception is the only means of obtain 'truth' is not founded on any definable proof, therefore, does not follow a logical line of reasoning.
Is human logic and reasoning the only logic and reasoning?

Are you making the assumption that logical reasoning and deduction are the only means of discovering and confirming 'truth'?
If so, then the logical reasoning and deduction you are referring to is human logical reasoning and deduction. In other words, you believe that human logic is the only way to 'truth' and you have faith that Logic, Reasoning, and Science is the only means to discover 'truth', because there is no proof that this is a valid assumption.
What proof is there that human logic and reasoning is the only means to discover 'truth'? Historical proof? Argumentum ad populum proof?
How does this position differ from the position of the religious, spiritual, or mystical individual disclaiming Science as a path to 'truth'?
What evidence besides reference to the architectures of human Science, Logic, and Reasoning can be given to refute the experiences of spiritual, religious, and mystical individuals?
To assume that human Science, Logic, and Reasoning is the only means of discovering 'truth' is a bare assertion fallacy.

Because something cannot be measured, reconstructed, or experimented on by human science is not justification for its dismissal. It only demonstrates the limitations of the interpretations of the data received by human physical sensory receptors.

As example, you can be certain that the colour 'red' is the result of the physical properties of the human visual receptors, and there would be little refutation of that assumption yet, if a human is born colour-blind, how do you explain the 'truth' of the colour red?
For this colour-blind individual to accept your 'truth', this individual would have to take it on faith that you are correct even though this individual could not obtain personal experience of this 'truth' or confirm its validity by any empirical data available. This individual would have to assume and take a 'leap of faith' that what you are describing is 'true'.
I state this example not as "the exception proves the rule" or a "proof by example", but to demonstrate that human Science, which is grounded in human logic and reasoning and founded on the interpretation of the data received by of human physical sensory receptors is limited, at best, and may not be the only means of experiencing and exploring the mystery we call Existence.

There are multiple accounts of mystical experience from multiple sources around the world, from differing religious view-points, and at various times in human history which, when compared with one another, exhibit quantifiable and definable characteristics of what is termed 'the mystical path'. These characteristics can be examined and correlated, which can lead to theories concerning these experiences which human logic and science has not the means yet to encompass. I would cite the book Mysticism: A Study in the Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness by Evelyn Underhill as one such examination.

To dismiss another's experience because the architechture of the system you determine is the path which demonstrates 'truth' does not support the other's experience differs not from a religious architechture dismissing the claims of proof the system you adhere to advocates.
While human perception is flawed and easily fooled, the scientific method advocates the following methods of getting over this limitation:
- The utilization of machines and instruments in which to record data recieved from the experiment
- The method in which to duplicate the experiments and get the same results must be consistent.

Certainly human logic is fallable, however there are certain parts of it which are not. You can analyze something happening a thousand times and assume that it will always happen. The probability that it will happen again under the same conditions may not be 100%, but it is often higher than 99%.

In the example you mention, a spectrometer or similar instrument would be employed in order to convey and differentiate colors to the blind person. It may not have much inherent meaning to him but can still affect him (ie: how he is percieved, the fact that darker colors absorb more light and emit more heat), just as a radio wave that we cannot see has no inherent meaning to us, yet it still exists, and while we take it on faith that radio waves DO in fact exist, we can always experiment to prove what we believe.

Last edited:

That reminds me of:

Mulder: Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.

^ Proof Mulder was definitely an N (as if we didn't know already).

Anyways I'd say when something is beyond human perception and measurement then it's pretty much irrelevant untill we are able to measure it. Otherwise we are just making guesses, and that doesn't seem fair in a world full of rational beings.

re you making the assumption that logical reasoning and deduction are the only means of discovering and confirming 'truth'?
You are trying to logically denounce logic. Logic has nothing to do with believing something. Maths:It doesnt matter what you believe. And they are not influenced by human sensory data.

[SIZE=Default]Because something cannot be measured, reconstructed, or experimented on by human science is not justification for its dismissal. It only demonstrates the limitations of the interpretations of the data received by human physical sensory receptors.[/size]
Perhaps. What then do you proppose as a justification to dismiss something that cannot be(or rather, has not yet been) measured if you also consider logic to be inadequate?

What you are propposing here is 18th(edited) century Hume's empiricism. "If I am not aware of something, it doesnt exist".

Last edited:
Religion ≠ Love

You can have your fruit, but the branches you break off land squarely on the heads of those with their feet on the ground. The fruit is in the heart of your fellow human, not in some mystical being.

Religion is a breeding ground and a veil of acceptability for such things!

My friend, do not take my words so lightly. The branch underneath my feet did not break; it only sounded as if it would break. It did not fall, it only sounded like it would break and I would fall. I did grasp that fruit, quite literally, as in a pear tree. The point is few dare to step out on a limb; but that is where the fruit is. Reminds me of another saying; Behold the turtle: he only makes progress when he sticks his neck out. We speak of different fruit; possibly a different tree. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Last edited:
My friend, do not take my words so lightly. The branch underneath my feet did not break; it only sounded as if it would break. It did not fall, it only sounded like it would break and I would fall. I did grasp that fruit, quite literally, as in a pear tree. The point is few dare to step out on a limb; but that is where the fruit is. Reminds me of another saying; Behold the turtle: he only makes progress when he sticks his neck out. We speak of different fruit; possibly a different tree. The fruit of the Spirit is

But there are many people up that tree, grasping for fruit and as they clamber around they knock all sorts of branches and debris down onto the heads of those below, you are so focused on grasping your fruit you fail to realise the hurt you cause to your fellow human beings. I suppose those people are irrelevant because they have no interest in the fruit?

While human perception is flawed and easily fooled, the scientific method advocates the following methods of getting over this limitation:
- The utilization of machines and instruments in which to record data recieved from the experiment
- The method in which to duplicate the experiments and get the same results must be consistent.
Our technological enhancements and the data they record are still interpreted by our own senses. These instruments do not prove true or false, rather they suggest probability.

Certainly human logic is fallable, however there are certain parts of it which are not. You can analyze something happening a thousand times and assume that it will always happen. The probability that it will happen again under the same conditions may not be 100%, but it is often higher than 99%.
Probabilities I have no problem with. Absolutes, I do have a problem with. Even the experiences of the deepest mystics are interpreted by the mystic with the mystic's own senses.

In the example you mention, a spectrometer or similar instrument would be employed in order to convey and differentiate colors to the blind person. It may not have much inherent meaning to him but can still affect him (ie: how he is percieved, the fact that darker colors absorb more light and emit more heat), just as a radio wave that we cannot see has no inherent meaning to us, yet it still exists, and while we take it on faith that radio waves DO in fact exist, we can always experiment to prove what we believe.
But the colour-blind individual would still have to make a 'leap of faith' in order to accept that 'red' actually existed as an interpretation of the human visual sensory receptors, because 'red' has no meaning for this individual.

Anyways I'd say when something is beyond human perception and measurement then it's pretty much irrelevant untill we are able to measure it. Otherwise we are just making guesses, and that doesn't seem fair in a world full of rational beings.
Rather than guesses, I would rather term it as probabilities. The probability that a supranatural being, or a mystical experience exists still remains whether there is a method of measurement or experimentation or not. The degree of probability of a given 'truth' or 'fact' becomes greater or lesser with experience of it.

You are trying to logically denounce logic. Logic has nothing to do with believing something. Maths:It doesnt matter what you believe. And they are not influenced by human sensory data.
I am not trying to denounce Logic, rather I am attempting to express that human logic and reasoning are not the sole arbitrators of 'truth', and to state so makes a false assumption.
Before Copernicus, logic dictated by the observation of celestial bodies that all things revolved around the Earth. We know now that this was false, but at the time, logic and reasoning dictated otherwise. Then, logic and reasoning dictated that all celestial bodies revolved in perfect circles. Again, we know this to be false. Logic and reasoning demonstrate probabilities, not truths.

Perhaps. What then do you proppose as a justification to dismiss something that cannot be(or rather, has not yet been) measured if you also consider logic to be inadequate?
I propose to dismiss nothing, no matter how radical or absurd, rather consider its probability. Probability assumes no 'right or wrong', only the likelyhood of its occurance.

I do not consider logic and reasoning inadequate, per se, rather I would that those who promote logic and reasoning to be the only measure to consider its current short-comings, to consider that human logic and reasoning may not be the only logic and reasoning, and to not dismiss or discount something which does not fit into the limited parameters of human logic and reasoning. Probability is a more just manner of measure.

What you are propposing here is 18th(edited) century Hume's empiricism. "If I am not aware of something, it doesnt exist".
No, I was illustrating the point that there are those events and experiences which cannot be expressed or explained to those who have no means to or cannot experience them.
I have not seen, nor is the probability high that I will see, the Earth from space. Do I discount the experiences of the astronauts who have? They cannot bring back tangible evidence of their experience, nor can they adequately relate the experience to others.
I have seen them launch into space and to return, but their experience is their own. What words do they use to describe seeing the Earth from space? Marvelous? Extraordinary? Unexplainable?
These would be the same terms used by mystics.
I can see the mystic in deep meditation or in the rapture of ecstasy, and I can see this mystic return. Do I discount the experience of the mystic because she cannot adequately explain to me her experience in terms I can understand or bring me tangible proof of that experience?

We would do much better as a species if we refrained from judging 'right or wrong' or 'true or false' and instead, considered the probabilities of events and experiences.

This is all I am getting at.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance

A lot of religion only fosters these things towards god or fellow believers, the rest of us are forgotten or persecuted.

OK EloquentBohemian, now tell me how god is more probable than possible?

Okay... joking aside, there is a probability that existence could have been created, i.e. the result of a master craftsperson, so to speak, whom many of us name 'God'; just as there is a probability that existence 'came into being' spontaneously.
Neither position can be proven true or false as of yet, therefore the probability of each position lies at 50%, given an either yes or no conclusion.

I am not trying to denounce Logic, rather I am attempting to express that human logic and reasoning are not the sole arbitrators of 'truth', and to state so makes a false assumption.
Before Copernicus, logic dictated by the observation of celestial bodies that all things revolved around the Earth. We know now that this was false, but at the time, logic and reasoning dictated otherwise. Then, logic and reasoning dictated that all celestial bodies revolved in perfect circles. Again, we know this to be false. Logic and reasoning demonstrate probabilities, not truths.
So this is about truth then? I admit I missed your point. The word "truth" itself is a controversial matter. Even in philosophy, very few agree upon a single definition. I myself avoid defining truth. I was thinking about what is more functional and closer to reality, so that in can be used in society. I don't think I can debate with "truth" as a basis, so more or less we can't agree or disagree here. As for whether it's evolution or creationism, that's just a personal choice. Anyone can believe what they want, as long as they do not become a hindrance to social proggress.
I propose to dismiss nothing, no matter how radical or absurd, rather consider its probability. Probability assumes no 'right or wrong', only the likelyhood of its occurance.
I do not consider logic and reasoning inadequate, per se, rather I would that those who promote logic and reasoning to be the only measure to consider its current short-comings, to consider that human logic and reasoning may not be the only logic and reasoning, and to not dismiss or discount something which does not fit into the limited parameters of human logic and reasoning. Probability is a more just manner of measure.
I agree here. But, the fact is, that history has shown that logic seems to be more effective, and that's why I prefer it.:p

No, I was illustrating the point that there are those events and experiences which cannot be expressed or explained to those who have no means to or cannot experience them.
I have not seen, nor is the probability high that I will see, the Earth from space. Do I discount the experiences of the astronauts who have? They cannot bring back tangible evidence of their experience, nor can they adequately relate the experience to others.
I have seen them launch into space and to return, but their experience is their own. What words do they use to describe seeing the Earth from space? Marvelous? Extraordinary? Unexplainable?
These would be the same terms used by mystics.
I can see the mystic in deep meditation or in the rapture of ecstasy, and I can see this mystic return. Do I discount the experience of the mystic because she cannot adequately explain to me her experience in terms I can understand or bring me tangible proof of that experience?
Yes, but you can't actually say that space doesn't exist, for they have brought evidence for it. You could, as you suggested, doudt the astronauts experience, as well as you could doudt the experience of the mystic. But the fact that space is real, cannot be debated. The mystic relies solely on her experience. The astronauts rely on what already is.

We would do much better as a species if we refrained from judging 'right or wrong' or 'true or false' and instead, considered the probabilities of events and experiences.
Possibly.

And this is why I'm no longer going to reply to you until you make a sensible point of view. You're just ok with making logical fallacy after fallacy, and then demanding that your viewpoint...which is completely unreasonable...should be shown respect or is in any way relevant. Your viewpoint by definition is unreasonable because it is in complete violation of logic. This is like trying to play a game of Scrabble with someone who thinks "DOPRodopeed" is a word because it feels fine to them for it to be a word, and then refuses to accept the Scrabble dictionary as having any authority whatsoever.

Yes, I realize this sounds unnecessarily crappy, but if you're just ok with making fallacious, irrelevant arguments, then your point of view just isn't relevant and conversation is irrelevant.

Oh, it's fine, I've already given up arguing with you before I posted that. You see, we've been arguing different things, I think, and in different ways. My "logic" was not so off as you claim it to be; it just required a different mode of thinking, which I understand might be hard for you to switch gears into. But, instead of working with me, you simply denounced that I knew anything about what I was talking about. It's a fairly typical NTP argument; I reside in a dorm where I see it a lot. I just am not interested in spending my free time trying to get results out of something with which I get such irritation from in real life.

The scrabble metaphor doesn't work like that. I'm not making up words; I think we're just playing in different languages. Neither of us is "right" and neither of us is "wrong." That's the problem with creationism vs. evolution, or religion (spirituality) vs. science in general; neither is necessarily "wrong," but both sides end up pointing fingers at each other and trying to establish some sort of blame.

I do continue to disagree on several points, though; I think I have every right to demand respect, regardless of whether you agree with me or not, personally. That's one thing that turns me off of a debate, whether I'm right or wrong -- I don't put up with that crap. I'd rather just walk away. Secondly, I don't really get the impression that you have any more authority than me to decide what "words" are "spelled right," and there's really nothing that says that you own the dictionary. Remember that when you enter an argument ;)

As another point towards the discussion -- there is no point in trying to prove God. You'll spin yourself in circles. However, not everything that can't be proven doesn't exist. It's a pointless argument that really doesn't solve anything and just polarizes people.

It's not about the God issue; it's about the organized religion. Remember, SPIRITUALITY and the presence of a deity is not the same thing as organized religion. Trust me on that; I'm fine with all the stuff that goes with spirituality and God, but organized religion is what irks me most of the time. However, even then, thinking it's all bad is a very polarized, black-and-white point of view that doesn't really do justice to it. Religion is huge, and although sometimes it's a pain, it's not all bad.

Duty et al, what would consistute logical, rational proof of God? What would be good logical grounds for ascribing to a certain religion or spirituality? You're asking for proof, I'd like to know what proof is.