Guided by intuition?

Jungian Trip

Community Hermit
Donor
MBTI
DADT
Enneagram
5 of SPadeSX
This query is for anyone really, but more specifically designed for those who have an iNtuitive preference as their dominant function.

What is it like to be guided by your intuition? Ne or Ni. I find that before I make any semi-major or major decision that I need to observe all angles as closely as possible before acting. My intuition works as a filter, but its primary function in my judgments are generally secondary to thinking. If my gut intuitions do not line up with reason (admittedly my own form of reasoning) and available evidence then I rarely act on them. The exception to this is when I write or use pastels. I allow a free play of intuition to emerge on paper and see where it leads me. It is a release to do so. Almost like floating and seeing where the winds will carry me.

So, do any of you make decisions based upon an inner knowing- even when that knowing does not align with empirical evidence or logical consistency? Would you mind sharing an example of a particular experience?

Thanks so much,

Paul

I wish I could answer this, but I have the same questions as you.

This question can only really be answered by an INFJ, an INTJ, an ENTP or an ENFP...

I'd be interested in seeing how the experience differs between Ni dominants and Ne dominants.

I wish I could answer this, but I have the same questions as you.

This question can only really be answered by an INFJ, an INTJ, an ENTP or an ENFP...

I'd be interested in seeing how the experience differs between Ni dominants and Ne dominants.

Me too, Agapooka. I think we can both see how the mannerisms and behaviors tend to differ between Ni and Ne, but hearing how they differ in underlying subjective perception/process analysis should be far more intriguing.

So, do any of you make decisions based upon an inner knowing- even when that knowing does not align with empirical evidence or logical consistency? Would you mind sharing an example of a particular experience?

I will look all the angles but my default mode to know what i want to do and do it. But i will consciously consider all the options before making a decision, although i usually have a Fi-ling i want to pursue. I feel guilty, now, not before if i didn't think about it logically before making a final decision. Actually, i find that in college, for example, there is some things i felt i needed to learn or understand before i could complete a paper, but without having that information or the necessary skills, i did things haphazardly - sometimes, it works, and sometimes it didn't. I worked my way through what i was doing in a way which made sense to me. I had no clue it was or wasn't going to work. If it worked, in many cases, it was a surprise. I couldn't tell you reason why it did or didn't work. Being more logically organized in my approach to tasks or projects would've helped but in the absence of such a structure, i just did things intuitively, as most probably do.

I will look all the angles but my default mode to know what i want to do and do it. But i will consciously consider all the options before making a decision, although i usually have a Fi-ling i want to pursue. I feel guilty, now, not before if i didn't think about it logically before making a final decision. Actually, i find that in college, for example, there is some things i felt i needed to learn or understand before i could complete a paper, but without having that information or the necessary skills, i did things haphazardly - sometimes, it works, and sometimes it didn't. I worked my way through what i was doing in a way which made sense to me. I had no clue it was or wasn't going to work. If it worked, in many cases, it was a surprise. I couldn't tell you reason why it did or didn't work. Being more logically organized in my approach to tasks or projects would've helped but in the absence of such a structure, i just did things intuitively, as most probably do.

Interesting. Thanks, Res. What is your major of study?

What is it like to be guided by your intuition?
I don't know about Ni, but being an Ne dom is kinda like being high ALL the time.

You make intuition sound like a crapshoot.
Intuition is the ability to take a situation, quickly run down all possible outcomes, and identify the most reasonable outcomes. It does not work independent of evidence or logic. Ah, no. Rather it expedites the process, resulting in what is very likely the best course of action.

I'm pretty new to this terminology but I would say my dominant function is Ni.

When posed with a problem I don't think in logical steps at first. Instead, I immediately begin eliminating the solutions that will obviously not work. I don't know how I know they won't work. I just do. This is a very fast process. Almost instantaneous. Then I'm left with the solutions that are practical. That's when I start looking at them logically comparing their attributes. The solutions that satisfies my values best, is the one I implement.

When I'm working in a group, I will tend to articulate my thoughts especially, that initial elimination of wrong solutions. Many people take offense to this and accuse me of pessimism but it isn't. Michaelangelo was once asked how he sculpted the David and his reply was that he chipped away all the marble that was not David. That is how Ni operates for me.

If I've completed misinterpreted what Ni is, then someone please let me know.

My intuition-guided actions are derived from multiple layers of input that have been gleaned from observation, intuition, thinking, or many, many other inputs. They may not all be complete, but the dots connect sufficiently, sometimes instantly without a thought, so I can see what I need to in order to move in a direction. This happens for me with personal interactions, family relations, work-related decisions, spirituality...it's all the same. I need those dots though (on some level and of some sort) to make the engine run. Over the years, one collects a good bit of this useful information, so it even more readily builds, refines, and connects in very interesting ways yeilding very interesting outcomes.

As a dominant function, for me, intuition does not feel like intuition. Those type descriptions may be correct when they say that we "trust" Ni, but there's no faith involved. It's no different from "trusting" any of the five senses. It seems like a given. There have been few times where my Ni came to a conclusion seemingly out of nowhere, and I had to make a conscious decision to trust this feeling or not (and may have even decided against it because it felt more "feeling" and less "logic" based), but these instances are rare. By and large, Ni is just a cognitive skill like any other when it's your dominant function.

I agree, nicely written.

What can I say about being guided by intuiton?
well. It fucks up my life.
and SENSORS DO NOT GET IT.
which turns into me = very annoyed.
I dunno about all of them, but yeah, seems like a lot.
When I say I know something without hard facts to go with it they just think I'm stupid.

For a better comparison, maybe you should ask,
"Here's a particular situation: what would be your thought processes when confronted with this situation?"

For even better results: make it something we can go out and try, take note of what goes through our minds, and then get back to you.

Last edited:
For a better comparison, maybe you should ask,
"Here's a particular situation: what would be your thought processes when confronted with this situation?"

For even better results: make it something we can go out and try, take note of what goes through our minds, and then get back to you.

You do sound like an S. :D

I think iNtuition works differently for each type which have it as dominant function.

Ni and Ne have a more or less clearly defined characteristic and it has these special applications according to each type which is described in detail on Type Logic, Personality Page, etc.

As for me specially I have a hard time answering your question. (I. e. my exact way of using N, in my case Ni.) Largely because in tests I'm always a 'borderline' intuitive. (Something like 53%-47%.) I interpret this result as having a sort of underdeveloped dominant function, and a quite intensive least function (Se).

So I don't exactly know when and how I use iNtuition I can only rely on the descriptions mainly and have some kind of 'eureka' moments like 'now *that* was nothing short of a great intuitive insight'. I mostly get these when around other people. I can put together the emotional state of the person I speak with in no time without the need for him verbally explaining his mood or his motives.

You do sound like an S. :D

Quiet, you. :m047:

So I don't exactly know when and how I use iNtuition I can only rely on the descriptions mainly and have some kind of 'eureka' moments like 'now *that* was nothing short of a great intuitive insight'. I mostly get these when around other people. I can put together the emotional state of the person I speak with in no time without the need for him verbally explaining his mood or his motives.
I would say don't worry too much about the descriptions. Just describe what goes on in your mind and how you understand things and chances are it's Ni. Afterall, the eureka moments are only the end product of a great deal of mental activity, and the putting together of someone's emotional state is a way of understanding that can apply to just about anything.

i think there's this pang or sense of knowing which hits you when you're on the right track. it's interesting.

Last edited:
What is it like to be guided by your intuition? Ne or Ni.

For me, it's an experience of inner voice that I've learned to trust.

The understanding I've reached about how it is working for me is that it is a perceptive sense feeding my judgment functions, but my perception is drawing on something broader/deeper than my consciously aware 5-main senses.

I believe there is a great oneness to existence and the multitudes of individual experiences are only able to consciously experience a limited amount of information--which leads to limited conclusions. I believe there is more information beyond that conscious experience and I suspect that when I draw on that inner voice, something within me is connecting to that bigger pool of information. I don't consciously understand what it presents me with and I couldn't consciously deconstruct it and analyze why it makes sense. Yet, I do experience it as a prompting that I have learned is usually wise to follow.

This is really difficult to describe. I just know that I have an inner voice that guides me and when I listen to it, I am guided well. I don't think it's crazy or mystical. I think it's real and tangible. I just think it's perception of something beyond individual and conscious experience for use in decision-making, but which I do not have the faculties to fully deconstruct and analyze.

To me it's a mental (not emotional or instinctive) process, sort of like being able to synthesize a few gathered "dots" and quickly construct the whole picture in my head. I can't always trace the logical process that leads me to a conclusion, but I just know it's right.

I think the description I made above is more for those significant experiences that I have in maturity learned to trust, but what Saraphim says here strikes me as a good description for the day-to-day experience that allows me to continually function. It's a mapping function that is always taking in information and charting everything and then as points are plotted, a picture develops. I have a sense of seeing something because in an abstract way, I actually am seeing the picture developing. It seems right because I can see it. In these cases, I probably could do some deconstruction and follow the points back (or at least some key ones) and explain myself if necessary. I also however have learned to be cautious with my perception. I know it is only perception. I do not have an absolute sense of it being "right". Not because I don't see it and it doesn't seem right, but because I've learned that what I see can be deceptive and an abstract mental version of optical illusion.

Last edited:
For me, Intuition is my subconscious taking what I know and giving me a good answer, without telling me how it got the answer. It's like when you go to grade a math worksheet and all there is are questions and answers; no work. The more I know about a problem, the better my intuition is, but I still depend on it to do all the work.

being an Ne dom is kinda like being high ALL the time

Yeah, pretty much. It's kinda fun. :D

I hope whoever is interested in this is detecting the commonalities, because from where I sit I can most definitely relate experientially to what has been shared here. Different descriptions, very similar workings.

Back