Riddles

technics

On Holiday
MBTI
Yes
My friend and I are currently texting each other riddles. And I couldn't help noticing that he prefers to send me mathematical riddles while I send him linguistic/conceptual riddles. I think this is him prefering Ti for problem solving while I use Ni. I sent him one yesterday which appears like a logical riddle when in fact it's a conceptual one. He's still working on it, I think.

What are your preferences?

(You might also want to post/solve some riddles)
http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?p=485978#post485978

Last edited:
Oooooh... I LOVE riddles. No math. Linguistic/conceptual, please. :)

I prefer logic problems. I've never been good at riddles because I've never been good at connecting dots between two objects, no matter how commonly associated they are with each other. E.g. "What goes around the world, but stays in a corner?" - well, I've never paid attention long enough to notice!

Actually, the interesting thing is, riddles are more of an Si-Ne thing. But of course no one wants to be an Si-dom.

I prefer logic problems. I've never been good at riddles because I've never been good at connecting dots between two objects, no matter how commonly associated they are with each other. E.g. "What goes around the world, but stays in a corner?" - well, I've never paid attention long enough to notice!

Actually, the interesting thing is, riddles are more of an Si-Ne thing. But of course no one wants to be an Si-dom.

That's a bad riddle. It only provides two points for you to go off of and doesn't scan like a riddle should. One of the better ones (though everyone should know the answer by now:

I have a bed but do not sleep,
I have a mouth but do not eat.

E.g. "What goes around the world, but stays in a corner?" ... Actually, the interesting thing is, riddles are more of an Si-Ne thing. But of course no one wants to be an Si-dom.

A Si-dom will use Si to scan through all the things the person has experienced. A Ni-dom will try to imagine all things that could go around the world, yet stays in a corner.

That's a bad riddle. It only provides two points for you to go off

Well, in my opinion, a riddle with less points is a better riddle because it leaves you with a greater unknown, thus making the riddle more difficult. The more points you add, the easier it gets.

A Si-dom will use Si to scan through all the things the person has experienced. A Ni-dom will try to imagine all things that could go around the world, yet stays in a corner.

Well, in my opinion, a riddle with less points is a better riddle because it leaves you with a greater unknown, thus making the riddle more difficult. The more points you add, the easier it gets.
the more you add, the more red herrings there are

A Si-dom will use Si to scan through all the things the person has experienced.

Not strictly experienced, but rather made associations and connections with based on concrete Sensation. Most riddles are designed so as to incite certain images based on prior associations and connections (Si), and then brainstorming through them to find the correct answer (Ne).
"What goes around the world, but stays in a corner?" incites such images, which one brainstorms through to find the answer.

Ni-users strip the riddle away from all explicit, concrete associations, e.g. "I have a bed but do not sleep, I have a mouth but do not eat." - The keywords being "mouth" and "bed", and the only connection to make here is between mouth and bed, everything else being irrelevant.
The first riddle cannot be reduced, there's no underlying concept/idea. One simply needs to go through the number of things that they have experienced in order to know the answer, which seems more Si-Ne.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Back