[Images] - The Psychology of Conspiracy Theorists and Theories | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

[Images] The Psychology of Conspiracy Theorists and Theories

Rium

• Total voters
Yeah different people know different amounts about what is going on

many of the people i debate with have little to no knowledge of these issues that they are so quick to try and dismiss

When they do seek information they turn to the VERY SAME people who hid all that stuff from them in the first place and start getting information from sites and sources created by the government and the wider corporatocracy

Look at all that crap stu is posting for example.....that stuff has MONEY behind it; its been created by paid hacks who are paid by the corporatocracy to try and discredit any criticisms of it

We are going to see more and more of that kind of nonsense because they are investing more and more money in what they call 'cyber warfare' but what is really a war over the minds of the public (an information war)

I was debating a guy on vaccines who was pulling his info from government sites!!!!!!!!!

Well, to be fair, when the government stats aren't in a controversial area, they are really darn accurate... they're definitely capable of doing it right.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, when the government stats aren't in a controversial area, they are really darn accurate...

But we were talking about something the government was trying to push on the public!

It is trying to pass laws to force you to inject their nanotechnology into you along with various nasty chemicals and metals

So stu can sit there pulling his corporatocracy propaganda from whatever hack site he is using where there is some idiot saying he is 'debunking chemtrails' or some such crap

And that shill we keep saying he is 'debunking chemtrails' right up until the point where it all becomes declassified and suddenly that shill will just go quiet and all the people who have been listening to that shill will suddenly not only have egg on their face but they will have in the meantime been breathing the toxic particulates from those chemtrails because instead of protesting them and growing public awareness about them they were too busy telling truth tellers that they are crazy and shoudl shut up

Man...the guys behind the corporations must be laughing at all of us

They must laugh their ass of at how some members of the public seek to police other member of the public while they carry on poisoning us

They're laughing as they profit by peddling toxic vaccines at how some members of the public are defending the very same product that is being used to destroy the health of their own children

Soon there will be so many kids going down with autism there will be no public left who are able to stand upto them

What a world.....i tell you.....i can't wait until this stuff has its edward snowden moment and we can start getting everyone working together to tackle these sickos (in the meantime i have to keep listening to the mind rot from people like stu as i try and talk some sense to them)

Last edited:
i have also noticed that it is impossible to discuss anything with them, because they have no respect for logical argument. when i was just beginning my undergraduate degree, i took an introductory philosophy course to do with the nature of argument. i have noticed that in argument (by which i mean, the act of reasoned discussion), they commit every logical fallacy that was described in the book i read for that course. and it is just impossible to argue with them rationally, because they continually respond to arguments by distorting and subverting them rather than addressing them. their argument style is in fact, highly irrational. but no matter how much you describe to them the logical fallacies they are committing, they persist in the conviction that their argument style is correct, and that their exposition simply reaches the ultimate core of matters. and so i just dont engage, because it seems so overwhelmingly futile. they themselves will not listen, they will not engage; they believe that they know "the truth" and there is no possibility that they will interrogate that notion.

I liked this paragraph. I can also confirm what invisible is saying here because I have seen much the same thing in a few different conspiracy theorists.

I liked this paragraph. I can also confirm what invisible is saying here because I have seen much the same thing in a few different conspiracy theorists.

You know the truth will keep coming out about vaccines and at some point you will have to admit you were wrong about them

And at that point all the crap you said and all the crap invisible said and all the crap stu said about so called 'conspiracy theorists' will be shown to be just what it is: crap

And instead people like myself will be shown to have been just normal, sane people telling the truth

Have you got your flu shot yet this year?

Stu said he didn't get his flu shot! (what a hypocrite huh?)

Last edited:
Oh [MENTION=11455]dogman6126[/MENTION] just for the record, do you believe:

• that 911 was an inside job?
  • that chemtrails are real?

It makes you look at things simplistically like a little child trying to make sense of an adults world
And you sir, are very rude. You wonder why a lot of people don't like discussing with you? It certainly isn't because you are correct....

Not true

I always encourage people to research further into what i'm talking about (because then i know they will find out what i'm saying is true)
Oh please muir. You don't even look deeper into what you are talking about. You a lot of the time just copy and paste articles that use the same buzz words that you agree with. Proof of that is in the Vaccines Debate thread

Yeah but if you used your critical thinking you would realise that a person who has learned that the government is lying to them would then behave in certain ways because that is some pretty heavy shit to deal with (especially when many other people haven't realised it yet)

Also if you look at the table objectively it is clear it is constructed in away to commit the logical fallacy of guilt by association by trying (through neuro-linguistic programming) to make you associate people who question the government line with other people that you have already decided you don't like like diet fad people
Muir the person you want to be is a rational skeptic. Basically a conspiracy theorist that actually has meat to their argument, and can both defend their argument and admit when they are wrong.

oh really well that's funny because marxism is all part of the conspiracy lasagna which you would know if you had looked at any of the indepth analysis i have provided on the forum over the years (but you don't look do you because i am not in a classroom)
Oh get off your high horse, will ya?

The psychology of anti-conspiracy theory people is that they like to talk the talk but they can't walk the walk

This is because they are full of shit
Says the person that has a worn out ctrl, c, and v key……

Listen.....forget all the argumentative bullshit for a minute......there was a group of jewish marxist intellectuals in germany called the 'frankfurt school'
Lol, yes, let’s completely ignore the entire point of a discussion and just take your view as the holy truth….Seriously muir? You are arguing for a position. It’s not our fault that you can’t defend it. That’s either a failing on your part or a failing of your view. If you are even a fraction of how smart you claim to be, then it should not be a failing on your part…..
You’re literally arguing that we ignore rational discourse…..

I want to highlight one of the points above in Glen Greenwalds article which he wrote form information Snowden leaked; he said the online agents like:

to inject all sorts of false material onto the internet in order to destroy the reputation of its targets

I'd say that pretty much matches what stu is doing
Establish that it’s false. WITHOUT pressing the ctrl+c or ctrl+v keys please…..

I was debating a guy on vaccines who was pulling his info from government sites as if the government trying to peddle the vaccines is going to give objective info about them!!!!!!!!!
I would hardly call it debate. You still haven’t responded to….well…any of my arguments…..

And actually most of my information came from journal articles. You just see .gov in the url and assume they are government reports. Did you even open any of the links? Now those articles might be archived on government websites, or routed through some .gov servers, etc., but that doesn’t make them government driven or even influenced. It just means the government has nice big library servers.
And last I checked, oxford or Harvard or stanfard aren’t government anyways…..you basically just said they are “close enough”, lol.

It is trying to pass laws to force you to inject their nanotechnology into you along with various nasty chemicals and metals
“nanotechnology”….was this a metaphore? We don’t have effective nanotech yet. At least not in any widely applicable way. We only recently have developed machines that are small enough to even manipulate single cells, let alone the science fiction nano-bots that go around in our bloodstream. See the recent tech for direct genetic modification of genes in a single cell zygote….China kinda got a slap on the wrist for that one, lol.

You know the truth will keep coming out about vaccines and at some point you will have to admit you were wrong about them
Oh my gosh, you are so hard headed that I don’t think you even store my words any further than your working memory.
I have said SEVERAL times that vaccines might actually be toxic. It’s just that your arguments fail miserably in such claims.

And at that point all the crap you said and all the crap invisible said and all the crap stu said about so called 'conspiracy theorists' will be shown to be just what it is: crap
Do you not realize that your claims are so vague that you actually will always be correct to some marginal degree? Yes, I and others have admitted that there are a number of people for whom vaccines are very harmful. Namely, those with allergies, or potentially severe genetic anomalies. To this extremely small subset of the population, yes, vaccines are toxic. But that’s hardly enough to outweigh the benefits! We must simply not give this group of people vaccines, which we already do, just as we have been doing with other medicine based allergies.

And instead people like myself will be shown to have been just normal, sane people telling the truth
No muir, even if you are correct in some marginal respect, you have still proven yourself a fanatic! You border on obsession in these discussions, sometimes suggesting a level of mania! Now I don’t know if you are just antisocial, or you were harmed in some way, or if it is just some sort of intellectual challenge you derive pleasure from, your obsession is obvious. And the level of psychological bias you use puts you in your own little world, separate from reality. That is NOT healthy. I wouldn’t call you crazy, but certainly someone who could use some help.

Have you got your flu shot yet this year?
This demonstrates your obsession. I have seen you ask this at least 5 times, and each time you have been basically ignored and yet you continue.
No, I have not gotten my flu shot yet this year. Why? Because I have been completing my exams and end of semester assignments as well as the psychology research projects that I’m assisting with at one of the leading research institutions in the nation. Excuse me for not being punctual with my shots. Although, in about a week I will be getting my flu shot as well as the vaccine for whooping cough (as well as every single shot that I have not already gotten that is available) so that I can hold my niece in a few weeks when she makes her appearance, so that I don’t end up killing her.

Stu said he didn't get his flu shot! (what a hypocrite huh?)
Or he, like myself, has a life beyond reading your conspiracy theories.

Oh @dogman6126 just for the record, do you believe:

•that 911 was an inside job?
•that chemtrails are real?

Actually, on chemtrails, I find it extremely unlikely, but I have not done very in depth research into the topic. Only cursory reviews. On the 911 claim, I have no idea because I barely know the basic idea behind that conspiracy theory.

However, considering your general disposition and approach to knowledge and truth, I find really any conclusion of your sketchy at best.

And you sir, are very rude. You wonder why a lot of people don't like discussing with you? It certainly isn't because you are correct....

Oh please muir. You don't even look deeper into what you are talking about. You a lot of the time just copy and paste articles that use the same buzz words that you agree with. Proof of that is in the Vaccines Debate thread

Muir the person you want to be is a rational skeptic. Basically a conspiracy theorist that actually has meat to their argument, and can both defend their argument and admit when they are wrong.

Oh get off your high horse, will ya?

Says the person that has a worn out ctrl, c, and v key……

Lol, yes, let’s completely ignore the entire point of a discussion and just take your view as the holy truth….Seriously muir? You are arguing for a position. It’s not our fault that you can’t defend it. That’s either a failing on your part or a failing of your view. If you are even a fraction of how smart you claim to be, then it should not be a failing on your part…..
You’re literally arguing that we ignore rational discourse…..

Establish that it’s false. WITHOUT pressing the ctrl+c or ctrl+v keys please…..

I would hardly call it debate. You still haven’t responded to….well…any of my arguments…..

And actually most of my information came from journal articles. You just see .gov in the url and assume they are government reports. Did you even open any of the links? Now those articles might be archived on government websites, or routed through some .gov servers, etc., but that doesn’t make them government driven or even influenced. It just means the government has nice big library servers.
And last I checked, oxford or Harvard or stanfard aren’t government anyways…..you basically just said they are “close enough”, lol.

“nanotechnology”….was this a metaphore? We don’t have effective nanotech yet. At least not in any widely applicable way. We only recently have developed machines that are small enough to even manipulate single cells, let alone the science fiction nano-bots that go around in our bloodstream. See the recent tech for direct genetic modification of genes in a single cell zygote….China kinda got a slap on the wrist for that one, lol.

Oh my gosh, you are so hard headed that I don’t think you even store my words any further than your working memory.
I have said SEVERAL times that vaccines might actually be toxic. It’s just that your arguments fail miserably in such claims.

Do you not realize that your claims are so vague that you actually will always be correct to some marginal degree? Yes, I and others have admitted that there are a number of people for whom vaccines are very harmful. Namely, those with allergies, or potentially severe genetic anomalies. To this extremely small subset of the population, yes, vaccines are toxic. But that’s hardly enough to outweigh the benefits! We must simply not give this group of people vaccines, which we already do, just as we have been doing with other medicine based allergies.

No muir, even if you are correct in some marginal respect, you have still proven yourself a fanatic! You border on obsession in these discussions, sometimes suggesting a level of mania! Now I don’t know if you are just antisocial, or you were harmed in some way, or if it is just some sort of intellectual challenge you derive pleasure from, your obsession is obvious. And the level of psychological bias you use puts you in your own little world, separate from reality. That is NOT healthy. I wouldn’t call you crazy, but certainly someone who could use some help.

This demonstrates your obsession. I have seen you ask this at least 5 times, and each time you have been basically ignored and yet you continue.
No, I have not gotten my flu shot yet this year. Why? Because I have been completing my exams and end of semester assignments as well as the psychology research projects that I’m assisting with at one of the leading research institutions in the nation. Excuse me for not being punctual with my shots. Although, in about a week I will be getting my flu shot as well as the vaccine for whooping cough (as well as every single shot that I have not already gotten that is available) so that I can hold my niece in a few weeks when she makes her appearance, so that I don’t end up killing her.

Or he, like myself, has a life beyond reading your conspiracy theories.

Actually, on chemtrails, I find it extremely unlikely, but I have not done very in depth research into the topic. Only cursory reviews. On the 911 claim, I have no idea because I barely know the basic idea behind that conspiracy theory.

However, considering your general disposition and approach to knowledge and truth, I find really any conclusion of your sketchy at best.

Go and get your flu shot you big hypocrite!

Stop making excuses, put your money where your big mouth is and go and get your damn vaccine!

[h=1]Thirty shades of truth: conspiracy theories as stories of individuation, not of pathological delusion[/h]Marius H. Raab, Stefan A. Ortlieb, Nikolas Auer, Klara Guthmann, and Claus-Christian Carbon[SUP]*[/SUP]

Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ►

Go to:
[h=2]Abstract[/h]Recent studies on conspiracy theories employ standardized questionnaires, thus neglecting their narrative qualities by reducing them to mere statements. Recipients are considered as consumers only. Two empirical studies—a conventional survey (n = 63) and a study using the method of narrative construction (n = 30)—which were recently conducted by the authors of this paper—suggest that the truth about conspiracy theories is more complex. Given a set of statements about a dramatic historic event (in our case 9/11) that includes official testimonies, allegations to a conspiracy and extremely conspiratorial statements, the majority of participants created a narrative of 9/11 they deemed plausible that might be considered a conspiracy theory. The resulting 30 idiosyncratic stories imply that no clear distinction between official story and conspiratorial narrative is possible any more when the common approach of questionnaires is abandoned. Based on these findings, we present a new theoretical and methodological approach which acknowledges conspiracy theories as a means of constructing and communicating a set of personal values. While broadening the view upon such theories, we stay compatible with other approaches that have focused on extreme theory types. In our view, accepting conspiracy theories as a common, regulative and possibly benign phenomenon, we will be better able to understand why some people cling to immunized, racist and off-wall stories—and others do not.

Keywords: conspiracy theories, narrative construction, personality science, individual differences, external validity, regulation, psychological methods

Go to:
[h=2]Introduction[/h]
“Superstition is actually a symptom of enlightenment, whoever is superstitious is always, […] much more of a person; and a superstitious society is one in which there are many individuals and more delight in individuality”
(Nietzsche, 1882/1974, p. 96).
So far, many psychological studies on conspiracy theories have confined themselves to a simple—yet often misleading—paradigm: The assumption that a clear distinction between an official truth and delusive idiosyncratic explanations can be made, and that supporters of conspiracy theories must hence be considered as individuals who have lost touch with reality and are in need for clear-cut explanations. Unfortunately, this reproach of oversimplification also applies to the methods commonly used to investigate conspiracy theories: The frequent use of questionnaires implies that conspiracy theories can be reduced to simple statements and that recipients of conspiracy theories can be seen as passive consumers who can be “diagnosed” by specific items.
How do these basic assumptions account for the vast majority of conspiracy theories emerging from the highly interactive sphere of the new media? Why are conspiracy theories about 9/11 far more complex and disquieting than the official version if they are supposed to provide simple answers? Why are contradictory explanations for Princess Diana's “disappearance” deemed equally plausible (see Wood et al., 2012)? This contrasts Goertzel (1994) who noted that conspiracy thinkers “offer the same hackneyed explanation for every problem” (p. 741), and not several contradicting explanations for one discrete event. And finally: Why are conspiratorial plots nearly omnipresent in contemporary literature, in movies and on television? The entertainment value of conspiracies should also be taken into account when explaining the unsolicited, excursive, and mutating dissemination of such theories.
It seems that research on conspiracy theories has often emphasized cognitive peculiarities of people who adhere to conspiracy theories, suggesting that believers in conspiracy theories are specific cases who have not much in common with the majority of people. As such, the ordinary actor is often a blind spot of current research, as has recently been pointed out by Sapountzis and Condor (2013).
In sum, we feel that it is time to leave the beaten track and to acknowledge conspiracy theories as a vibrant phenomenon of popular culture which reflects far more than pathological delusions or xenophobic attitudes. Inspired by the ground-breaking work of Timothy Melley (2000) we interpret the increasing popularity of conspiracy theories as an attempt to emphasize a personal set of values and thus to organize and regulate one's life experience in a meaningful way. According to Melley (2000), the general motif behind conspiracy theories is to emphasize the values of autonomy and individuality by inducing an intensive fear of being controlled by concealed external forces. For this state of mind Melley has coined the term “agency panic.” By suggesting that our personal freedom is at stake, conspiracy theories create awareness for the (potential) threats to human autonomy and individuality. At this point we transcend Melley by stating that the self-affirmative mechanism behind conspiracy theories should work for any set of values a person wishes to emphasize (e.g., freedom of speech, integrity of the traditional family, mental and physical health, etc.). Based on this hypothesis, we interpret the widespread doubt in an official truth and the great popularity of conspiracy theories as a crisis of ideologies that goes hand in hand with a crisis of individuality. Especially in pluralistic Western societies where the “grands récits” (Lyotard, 2005) of the past have lost their credibility, conspiracy theories can help to express and to share an individual system of values. When there is no generally accepted frame of reference any more, individuation is in need for alternative explanations.
From our point of view empirical studies on conspiracy theories have so far neglected the creative potential, the dynamic, the interactive, and the narrative qualities of conspiracy theories. The predominant paradigm of psychological research in the field of conspiracy theories assumes that a clear distinction between an official truth and delusive idiosyncratic explanations can be made. For instance, Lewandowsky et al. (2013) showed that taking the moon landing for a hoax is correlated with a disbelief in climate change and a rejection of the fact that smoking causes lung cancer. One can either believe that smoking causes lung cancer, or one might not. Furthermore, as the authors point out, this is not a question of belief in the first place; there is overwhelming scientific evidence for negative side effects of smoking. To deny them means to negate the validity of scientific knowledge in general. We deem it questionable that doubts about the reasons for the invasion of Iraq should generally be explained by the same cognitive mechanisms.
Belief or disbelief in theories of conspiracy has been examined by reducing stories to simple statements (e.g., “9/11 was an inside job”) that may serve as questionnaire items. First and foremost, these items are designed to meet the psychometrical requirements of questionnaire construction. Naturally, such questionnaire items cannot reflect the complex and diverse narrations entwined around ideas of conspiracy. We see dangers in applying this approach to investigating conspiracy theories: Without a psychological model, one can merely speculate which latent variable or construct was measured after all. It gets hard to distinguish possible facets of a trait—a supposed predisposition to accept conspiracy theories—ex post without such a model. Goertzel (1994) has already pointed to the weakness of questionnaire data when it comes to people's belief systems.
For instance, Swami et al. (2010) were able to explain 53.1% of variance in “9/11 Conspiracist Beliefs” with a structural equation model including personality variables. Importantly, “General Conspiracy Beliefs” accounted for only 14.4% of variance. Wagner-Egger and Bangerter (2007) tried to identify predictors for belief in two types of conspiracy theories: Conspiracy theories that accuse minorities (Type A) and conspiracy theories blaming authorities (Type B). No less than 18 personality constructs were included. Regression analysis showed that these constructs only accounted for less than 10% of variance in terms of Type A theories (R[SUP]2[/SUP] = 0.09), respectively, 16% of variance in terms of Type B theories (R[SUP]2[/SUP] = 0.16). Although these studies have clearly delivered important insights, up to 90% of variance is left unexplained.
Based on these findings and on our own questionnaire studies, we doubt whether these procedures are able to grasp the appreciation and fascination of such theories in full. The low to intermediary values of explained variance not only indicate that the approaches did not cover some important factors. We also do not know if a participant has merely adopted some overheard notions; or if he or she has arrived at a conspiratorial belief after time-consuming, extensive research. We also do not know if the conspiratorial belief is stable, or if new information would be regarded and integrated; if it is a merely personal opinion or if the believer is eager to share his or her view with others; and finally, if the belief would be guiding the person's actions, e.g., if he or she would engage in political activities.
Apart from some recent studies—e.g., Sapountzis and Condor (2013) have evaluated the spontaneous use of conspiracy narratives in interviews of Greek citizens and Lewandowsky et al. (2013) investigated conspiracist ideation in the blogosphere—most studies have focused on the recipients of conspiracy theories using questionnaires and drawing an artificial red line between believers and disbelievers. To our understanding, this approach reveals some misleading basic assumptions about conspiracy theories: (a) Conspiracy theories are treated as invariant entities (b) that can be reduced to single statements and (c) that recipients of conspiracy theories can be regarded as passive consumers and (d) that believers are always believers independently from the “quality” of the regarding storyline. By contrast, we argue that a majority of conspiracy theories emerge from the highly interactive sphere of the new media. Today, millions of people around the world create, compile, discuss, and reproduce conspiracy theories on internet platforms, private websites, or blogs. This relentless process of creation, modification, and serial reproduction blurs the classic difference of a distinction of production (sender) and recipient. If our assumptions hold, people should—when given the chance—construct a wide variety of stories, differing greatly in conspiratorial characteristics. Questionnaires are hardly able to capture the narrative process of acquisition, compilation, and reproduction in an ecologically valid way. Consequently, we suggest the method of narrative construction as a new means to explore the multi-facet phenomenon of conspiracy theories. This method allows an individual to construct their own story for a given event like 9/11 from a set of pre-defined pieces of information.
If a conspiracy theory is a dynamic narration reflecting an individual's values—built around a dramatic historic event—there should be a plethora of different theories, not only concerning the story's nucleus, i.e., the historic event. The variety of personality should, according to this assumption, lead to an evenly manifold variety of conspiracy theories. Additionally, if it was a prevalent method of identity shaping, almost everyone should be prone to construct a conspiracy theory. We tested these assumptions empirically.
[h=3]The present paper[/h]In the first section, we shortly describe a study that sought for a link between cognitive self-efficacy and the belief in common conspiracy theories—yet yielded no results. Subsequently, the method of narrative construction[SUP]1[/SUP] is described. It was applied in a study with 30 participants. In the following section, we present the results of this study. Finally, we outline a theoretically framework which accounts for our findings and allows for an integration of other explanatory approaches. We then outline the common ground of our and other models and close with a short consideration of the dangers of conspiracy theories.

Go to:
[h=2]Methods[/h]In our first study on conspiracy theories, we followed the established research paradigm: A standardized questionnaire was applied to investigate the relationship between self-efficacy and belief in conspiracy theories. We shortly describe this study—that yielded no positive results—before we illustrate the method of narrative construction in detail.
In accordance with the premise that supporters of conspiracy theories share some kind of cognitive or emotional disposition, we expected people with a low level of self-efficacy to be more susceptible for any kind of conspiracy theory than people who reported a high level of self-efficacy.
[h=3]Method[/h]Our standardized questionnaire comprised the German version of the General Self-Efficacy Scale by Schwarzer and Jerusalem (1995). We modified some items to emphasize the cognitive component of self-efficacy. For example, the item “Thanks to my resourcefulness, I know how to handle unforeseen situations” was changed to “Thanks to my resourcefulness, I know how to interpret unforeseen situations.” In addition, a scale was designed for the assessment of endorsement in conspiracy theories. The scale consisted of 10 items. For each item, the gist of a popular conspiracy theory was condensed into a statement (e.g., “The terrorist attacks of 9/11 were planned and executed by the American government.”). The participants were asked to rate the plausibility of each statement on a five-point Likert-scale ranging from 1 (“very implausible”) to 5 (“very plausible”).

[h=3]Sample[/h]Twenty-two males and 41 females participated in this study. The sample included students, workers and senior citizens. The age of the participants ranged from 18–76 years and the average age was 29.6 years (SD = 13.3).

[h=3]Results[/h]The relation between self-efficacy and belief in conspiracy theories turned out to be non-significant, Pearson's r = −0.04, p = 0.73, n.s. There was no pattern to be found, neither linear trends between variables nor higher-order relations by mere inspection of plotted data. The analysis of particular items and ex-post-facto attempts (splitting the sample by gender, by age, etc.) yielded no results.

[h=3]Discussion[/h]The data did not justify—or even suggest—the assumption that self-efficacy is related to endorsement in common conspiracy theories. Nevertheless, this finding is relevant. These results are well in line with the results of a study by Wagner-Egger and Bangerter (2007) which examined the link between locus of control and belief in conspiracy theories. The authors reported a low inter-correlation between externality ratings and belief in a particular type of conspiracy theories which accuses minorities (r = 0.15; p < 0.05). These findings clearly challenge the basic assumption that supporters of conspiracy theories must be considered as helpless individuals in need for clear-cut explanations. Left with no direction how to refine the hypothesis or the questionnaires, we decided to develop a new approach for exploring conspiracy theories
[h=4]Thirty shades of truth: the method of narrative construction[/h]To analyze the phenomenon of conspiracy theories in an ecologically more valid way, we developed the method of narrative construction. Given a set of statements about an important event of contemporary history, people begin to build a narrative that is, for the most part, neither a pure official nor a clear conspiracy theory. Instead, people construct their idiosyncratic “shade of truth.” A more detailed description of this method can be found elsewhere[SUP]1[/SUP]. In the present paper, we focus on a different aspect, but give a short account of material and procedure so the present paper is coherent and understandable.
To test our hypotheses that conspiracy theories are frequently occurring and that they are diverse and idiosyncratic stories built around an important event, we developed the method of “narrative construction.” Participants are provided with a deck of cards, each card bearing a statement related to a specified event (in our case 9/11). The deck was built to represent conspiracy-specific categories we had generated before with an inductive procedure. For each “fact,” there was one version (card) holding an official/canonical claim, one version bearing a mildly conspiratorial allusion, and one version holding a claim only compatible with an extreme conspiracy.

[h=3]Material for a narrative construction[/h]To identify the typical constituents of conspiracy theories, we questioned 38 people to tell us which conspiracy theories they know of; and afterwards asked them to describe their favorite theory in detail. Subsequently, we asked “which elements are part of most conspiracy theories” as an open question. The answers were categorized by other interviewers; the resulting categories had to be defended in a discussion, as described by Mayring (2005), until all interviewers had agreed on a set of six categories for “elements of conspiracy theories,” including category definitions. The bottom-up generated items are odd event, evidence, non-transparency, publicity, group of conspirers, and myth. A more detailed description of this study and its results can be found elsewhere[SUP]1[/SUP].
We compiled 14 subsets for the deck of cards. With respect to the bottom-up derived elements of conspiracy theories: two for group of conspirers, one for non-transparency, one for publicity, three for odd event, three for evidence, and one for myth. Subset group consisted of three items (i.e., 3 cards) fueled with contents from typical (1) official, (2) limited conspiratorial, and (3) unlimited conspiratorial viewpoints. The official card always bore a category-related statement that was in accordance with official 9/11 reports and documents (drawing on respectable sources, e.g., governmental reports made public on the internet). For example, an official group of conspirers-item was: “9/11 masterminds were Islamist terrorists, led by Osama bin Laden, to attack the detested Western culture.”
The limited conspiratorial card was prepared with an item that contained an explanation describing a conspiracy of moderate strength. Specifically, this level was formed in accordance with Lutter's (2001) categorization of conspiracies, corresponding to a conspiracy limited in time and space. This can also be thought as matching 9/11-view “let it happen on purpose” (“LIHOP” in the terminology of Ganser, n.d.). In this view, the Bush administration did not initiate the attacks but knew beforehand and did not take countermeasures. We compiled information from web resources like Wikipedia that matched this level. The “group of conspirers”-item here read: “The US administration had let happen the 9/11 attack to justify the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.”
The unlimited conspiratorial card assumed a conspiracy with no clear bounds within space and time, or a “make it happen on purpose” (MIHOP) viewpoint in the sense of Ganser (n.d.) For example, it read: “The US administration had planned and conducted the 9/11 attack to justify the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.”
This three-level graduation was realized for each subset of cards. Finally, for each of the six categories (odd event, evidence, non-transparency, publicity, group of conspirers, and myth), there was at least one three-part subset of cards (one card with an official statement, one limited conspiratorial, and one unlimited conspiratorial).
Additionally, we compiled a triplet of cards where all statements were completely off-wall:

• – The group “Scholars for 9/11 truth” assumes that energy weapon fire, by killer satellites from outer space, led to the World Trade Center collapse.
  • – The former officer of nuclear intelligence and author Dimitri Khalezov postulates that the Twin Towers as well as building No. 7 were brought down by underground thermo-nuclear devices.
  • – The Syrian newspaper Al-Thawra has reported that 4000 Jewish WTC employees were warned beforehand and did not show up on work on 9/11.

The resulting 42 cards—13 canonical statements, 13 statements alluring to a limited conspiracy, 13 extremely/unlimited conspiratorial statements, and 3 off-wall assumptions—were printed on cards (each around 10 × 6 cm; serif typeface, 12 pt. size, black letters on white ground) and laminated.

[h=3]Participants[/h]Thirty persons (26 female, M[SUB]age[/SUB] = 22.4 years, range: 19–55 years) took part in the study. Some were students at the University of Bamberg and received course credit for participation; they were naïve to the aim of the study and had not been involved in any other study described in this paper. The participants were randomly assigned to two groups: (1) modest contents group and (2) extreme contents group. The first group received the off-wall, the canonical, and the limited conspiratorial items only. The extreme contents group was handed out the full set including the 13 unlimited conspiratorial items. The split-up was done to test a hypothesis not discussed in this paper.

[h=3]Procedure[/h]The modest contents group was handed out a card deck with 29 items, containing all official and limited conspiratorial items (plus the three-card subset absurd). The extreme contents group received the same deck and additionally 13 unlimited conspiratorial items. All were asked to “construct a plausible story of the events of September 11th 2001, as a single coherent story or consisting of coherent or controversial fragments,” without time restrictions. When the participant had considered the story finished, the chosen items and their layout were written down. The participant was then asked to rate “how plausible the 9/11 story version just laid out is” on a five-point Likert-scale (among other questions related to other hypotheses). Overall, the participants spent 21 min on average to construct their story, with a range from 8 min to well over 30 min.

Go to:
[h=2]Results[/h]We will present quantitative data analysis first. In order to acknowledge the diversity in story content, we will then present three single cases, i.e., three individual theories about 9/11.
[h=3]Statistical analysis[/h]We found no significant differences between groups with regard to the number of items taken from the off-wall set, tested by separate One-Way Analyses of Variance (ANOVA), F[SUB](1, 28)[/SUB] < 1, p = 0.836, n.s.; with regard to self-rated plausibility of the story, F[SUB](1, 28)[/SUB] < 1, p = 0. 451, n.s.; and with regard to the number of cards selected in total, F[SUB](1, 28)[/SUB] < 1, p = 0.80, n.s. In the aspects relevant for the argumentation and discussion here the groups do not differ, so we will aggregate both samples to a single one. Detailed further analyses on the given data set can be found elsewhere[SUP]1[/SUP].
On average, participants used 14.80 statements/cards (SD = 5.47; range: 5–28 cards) to construct a story, 0.50 cards (SD = 0.86, range: 0–3) of them were from the off-wall set. The average self-rated plausibility was 3.90 (SD = 0.71, range: 2–5).
There was a wide variety of length and content with regard to the theories produced. No two stories were alike; instead, highly idiosyncratic mixtures of statements were created. Figure ​Figure11 gives an impression of the diversity of compositions.
Figure 1
Each participant created a unique story, blending official, limited, and unlimited conspiratorial items to build a plausible 9/11 narrative.

To reduce complexity and to test our hypotheses, we segregated the stories according to the share of official vs. limited and unlimited conspiratorial items. Here, we regard stories containing less than 33% conspiratorial items to be an “official version” of 9/11. Stories containing between 33 and 66% conspiratorial content were classified as a “hybrid version.” When more than 66% conspiracy-items were present, we considered the narrative as a “conspiracy version.”
With this deliberate categorization, 5 out of 30 stories (16.7%) qualified as official, 16 out of 30 stories as hybrid (53.3%), and the 9 remaining stories (30.0%) as conspiracy versions. We could neither detect a significant correlation between the self-rated plausibility and the number of off-wall items selected (r = 0.28, p = 0.88, n.s.) nor between plausibility and the number of items selected in total (r = −0.09, p = 0.62, n.s.). Regarding the content of the off-wall items, the killer satellites from outer space were present in three stories. Nine times, the thermo-nuclear devices were part of a story. The allegation of Jews knowing about the attacks beforehand was selected four times.

[h=3]A game of conspiracies: examples for 9/11 narratives[/h]So far, we have analyzed only superficial information (e.g., number of items; composition of different item categories) of the generated versions. To understand the stories behind these numbers, we present three examples in detail (yet, each example is an abridged version; the full narratives were at least twice the length). We begin with a corner-case, the most canonical version that was produced. We proceed with a typical hybrid version that integrates many official statements as well as some propositions indicating a possible cover-up. Finally, we give an account of the most extreme conspiracy version that was built.
A canonical story: On 9/11, four passenger planes got hijacked by Islamist suicide attackers; two of these planes were directed into the WTC twin towers. The resulting structural damage to the buildings led to their collapse. When President Bush was told about the second plane crashing into the towers, he kept sitting for five minutes—with countenance unaffected and seemingly not surprised—in front of the class at school, without interrupting the visit. On the day of the attacks, there was great confusion among the leading action forces. The chain of command expended too much time, as the US administration was not prepared for this kind of attack. Thus, the plane heading for the Pentagon could not be brought down in time. The 9/11 course of events was examined by several US agencies, supporting the official view. This was written down, for example, in the ‘9/11 Commission Report’.
This is an abridged version of the only story (out of the sample of 30) that contains virtually no allegation to any conspiracy or cover-up. The originator, a 20-year-old woman, used seven items in total. Subsequently, she rated her story as most plausible (5 out of 5 points). The participant stated that she had “little interest on the issue of 9/11,” and that she had “recognized conspiratorial items,” but had discarded them as being “too speculative”; furthermore, she stated to have heard “about the unreliability of eye-witness in a lecture” some days before, and stated this might have made her “more cautious.”
A hybrid theory: The 9/11 perpetrators had been Islamist terrorists under guidance by Osama Bin Laden to attack the hated “West”. Islamist terrorists had hijacked four passenger planes, two of which were directed into the twin towers. Standard operating procedures for hijackings were bureaucratic and chain of command operated slowly. There were lapses, failures, and precious time was lost. There should be further inquiries to clear up the countless open questions. The attack on Pearl Harbor was let happen by the US administration to get the own, war-weary people into WW II. Similar could have happened on 9/11.
This is the abridged version of a typical hybrid story, constructed by a 25-year-old woman. The narrative combines official as well as mildly/limited conspiratorial items. While Islamist terrorists are identified as perpetrators, the possibility of a government letting happen the attack is included in the narrative. The creator of the story rated her story with 4 on the 5-point plausibility scale afterwards.
A conspiracy theory: The US administration has initiated 9/11 itself, to justify the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. There should be further inquiries to clear up the countless open questions. The US administration is lying. It was lying about the supposed nuclear weapons in Iraq, about Vietnam, Watergate, about many things. Why should one believe the ‘official’ 9/11 story? The WTC towers had been built with fire-resistant steel. The question remains: How could the towers had collapsed? The magazine Newsweek was reporting that high rank Pentagon officials had canceled flights scheduled for 9/11. According to the Syrian newspaper Al-Thawra, 4,000 Jewish employees did not show up at work on 9/11; they had been warned. There was and is one constant in the USA's policy: lie, deceit, and deception of her enemies and the public. This can be seen with Pearl Harbor, Watergate, the landing on the moon, and in recent times the 9/11 attacks.
This is the abridged version of the story constructed by a 26-year-old woman. She was the only participant to include not a single item from the pool of official statements, using nine mildly/limited and nine extremely/unlimited conspiratorial items. Concerning plausibility, she rated her story with 4 afterwards.

Go to:
[h=2]Discussion[/h]The multiplicity in the content of conspiracy theories that was predicted by our assumption is clearly reflected by the obtained data. There was no dichotomy between official and conspiratorial; instead, we found “thirty shades of truth.” There was no restriction regarding the combination of items, and the statements stemmed from real-world sources and had not been fitted for representativeness (regarding the levels official, limited, and unlimited conspiratorial). We therefore cannot infer a strict rank ordering of the stories. Our deliberate trifold categorization must hence be considered a rough measure. Yet, regarding the shares of official and conspiratorial items, our data shows the tendency to construct conspiracy theories, although in most cases, moderate ones. Interestingly, the only strictly canonical story was deliberately constructed by a person that reported to have no great interest in the matters of 9/11.
Furthermore, in the short survey after the experiment, many participants stated that it was fun to compile an explanation for the events on 9/11, while the plausibility of the stories was high, assessed by ratings afterwards. In our view, this is a strong argument for ecological validity; it implies that people were engaged in a cognitive as well as an emotional way.
A possible limitation can be seen in the fact that we asked German people to construct a 9/11 narrative; for sure, a sample from the USA would yield other results. Yet, our goal was to induce active story construction, so we deliberately chose this topic: We could be sure every participant knew of this event; and at the same time we could be fairly sure there was no personal involvement—in a sense that a participant might have known one of the 9/11 victims personally.
The hypothesis that people with a low feeling of security are particularly prone to conspiracy theories—a hypothesis derived from the literature (e.g., Goertzel, 1994)—was not confirmed by the data of our first study. Statistical power was not sufficient to refute this hypothesis in general, but low self-efficacy at least does not seem to be a major factor. General racist beliefs as common drivers for conspiracies (e.g., Grüter, 2010) did not appear to be a relevant factor of influence with our sample, either. Only a minority (4 out of 30) chose to integrate the card claiming that Jews knew of the attacks beforehand into their storyline. The item explicitly ascribed the statement to a Syrian newspaper, so choosing it would have left a cognitive back door—the anti-Semitic allegation could be attributed to the source; hence, picking this card could be justified in the sense of “I do not believe it, but I believe that a Syrian newspaper wrote it.” The claim that thermo-nuclear devices had been mounted in the Twin Towers seemed to be more plausible, as it was chosen by nine participants.
In sum, two of the most common explanations for inter-individual differences in terms of conspiracy endorsement—need for security and racist attitudes toward minorities—could not be confirmed as driving factors. What, then, could be motifs to construct conspiracy theories? In the following sections we present a theoretical framework which accounts for the subtle “shades of truth” revealed by narrative construction, as well as the common deficit-oriented approaches focusing on extreme tendencies of conspiracy beliefs. This theoretical framework is based on the assumption that conspiracy theories are means to express personal beliefs and values, to relate these values to contemporary history, and to engage in discussions about values and agency.
Our method of narrative construction does not aim at measuring a latent variable as, by contrast, an intelligence test does. Instead, its purpose is to initiate a process in an ecologically valid way. Thus, we cannot determine reliability in the sense of classical test theory. Stability, as a special case of reliability, will have to be determined in a further study. If our hypothesis holds and conspiracy theories are a means of expressing one's personal values, this does not imply that a participant chooses exactly the same items on the following day. Nevertheless, it implies that the set of values reflected by this individual's stories should remain stable even over the course of months or years.
Our next step will be to address reliability in terms of stability, as it is crucial for our claims. A data-driven system of analysis will be designed to categorize the beliefs and values implied by a story. Moreover, participants will be asked to state their most important values explicitly. By employing a longitudinal design changes and invariants will be examined.
[h=3]The twilight of myth[/h]The universality of certain narrative patterns and symbols has already been pointed out by Sigmund Freud and Carl Gustav Jung. They hypothesized that the exploration of myths—individual stories like dreams as well as universal ones—is a via regia for understanding the human psyche. Different academic disciplines try to fathom out the universality of myth and religion, emphasizing an interplay of nature and culture (Burkert, 2009) or cognitive operators that were shaped by evolution (Newberg et al., 2003). According to Bischof (1998), the structural universality of myths about world creation can be explained without assuming a collective unconscious. He argues that myths about world creation reflect the development of consciousness every individual experiences during early ontogenesis.
The existence of myths was a cultural constant and served to exemplify and consolidate group norms. The advent of the “self-expressive individual” (Campbell, 2008), however, rendered these myths meaningless and left the individual in the dark about desirable goals in life. With the beginning of enlightenment, assigning an individual his or her place in society by a story has begun to lose its importance. In return, the individual has to bear the burden of shaping society: “It is not society that is to guide and save the creative hero, but precisely the reverse. And so every one of us shares the supreme ordeal—carries the cross of the redeemer—not in the bright moments of his tribe's great victories, but in the silence of his personal despair” (Campbell, 2008, p. 337).
When stories, oral and written, have been the primordial and most important means to negotiate the relation between individual and society, we might assume that the means might prevail, even when the focus changes. It is desirable to know one's own motifs. At least, we deem it worthwhile to take this stance—and to see if it will be generative. Consequently, we will consider conspiracy theories as narrations that help people to recognize themselves, to define and express their system of values, and also to help them to articulate their demands on society. This does not necessarily imply that conspiracy theories are modern myths. In the first place, they are stories intertwined with defining society and ourselves; and successors of stories called myths, which had a distinctly different function, and distinctly different structural features.
A similar viewpoint was taken by Kelley-Romano (2008). She examined the television series The X-Files and concluded that the function of ubiquitous conspiracy in the series “defines what it means to be good or evil and simultaneously questions the process of identity formation itself” (Kelley-Romano, 2008, p. 106). Although the author recognized the psychological functions of the series' conspiratorial motives as crucial for its success, she did not describe the psychological parts of her theory in more detail.
Today, identity formation (at least in Western cultures) might be considered as the challenge to shape society and oneself. This does not necessarily have to be a painful process. For some, anxiety and a loss of control might be predominant, probably those of them who show a low degree of ambiguity tolerance in the sense of an “emotional and perceptual personality variable” (Frenkel-Brunswik, 1949). Some will meet this challenge with indifference. For others, it might appear as a playful and exciting endeavor to shape one's identity, probably on basis of the mere attempt to bring order into the story (see the “Aesthetic Aha” effect in Muth and Carbon, 2013), although a final solution might not be the ultimate source of reward (Muth and Carbon, 2013; Muth et al., in press). Embracing this full range might help to understand why conspiracy theories are not a well-separated niche of psychology and society—but, according to our data, pervasive.

[h=3]Shaping the pillars of the self[/h]Dan McAdams assumed that “we are all tellers of tales” (McAdams, 1993) by the mere fact. Tales appear to him as a means to achieve self-insight, as a very basic way of organizing information—and a way to share this information, also about the coordinates of oneself within the society, in the world. McAdams integrates biological, developmental and cognitive aspects to explain why certain characters (like the Teacher, the Warrior, the Maker, the Friend, and the Survivor) frequently appear in such stories. During adolescence certain questions arise. For instance: “What is good? What is true? What is beautiful? How does the world work? How should the world work?” (McAdams, 1993, p. 82) The benefit of stories for self-awareness, their potential to render non-conscious ideas and values explicit, is also emphasized by Wilson (2002).
Right after puberty, stories like legends and myths are replaced by “theories and creeds and other systematic explications” (McAdams, 1993, p. 85). Such theories offer the opportunity to define the goodness (and badness) of very specific actions, and to evaluate them. The acquired belief and value system is likely to stay—with changes in detail—for the rest of one's lifetime forming the basis for the story that reflects and forges our self in adulthood.
It is noteworthy that a theory “impressively differentiated and integrated” (McAdams, 1993, p. 90) might be considered “particularly mature, advanced and enlightened” (p. 90). McAdams did not have conspiracy theories in mind; from a formal point of view, however, conspiracy theories also match his criteria. Particularly, the high degree of differentiation is one of the most striking features of conspiracy theories. We also observe that several story parts of a conspiracy theory are imperatively held together, at least by ad-hoc explanations or flexible interpretations of several parts toward a coherent Gestalt. This is also an important difference between a conspiracy “theory” and a truly scientific theory—the first one might be driven and put together by scientifically invaluable arguments but will yield a story which attracts people and which invites to fill the logical gaps by own considerations. This will raise the mere consumer to the position of the narrator and the creator her/himself.
The shift from society to the individual when it comes to defining values, however, should not be seen as a burden alone. Gergen (2006) sums up a debate about the consequences of emphasizing the distinction between oneself and the others: Becoming an individual implies the danger of isolation and alienation. Melley (2000) makes a similar point by hypothesizing that a certain amount of paranoia is not only a defense, but even a part of liberal individualism.
In La condition postmoderne, Jean-Francois Lyotard claims that the collapse of the grand narratives does not necessarily imply an atomization of society. Being part of a fabric of relations, even “the most underprivileged self” (Lyotard, 2005, p. 55) is not powerless in the language games of global communication. The self can treat messages as if it were the sender, the receiver, or the relator (Lyotard, 2005). Likewise, a conspiracy theory is an invitation to receive information, to share information, and also to add new information, in the end: to be a part of the generation and evolution process of a story.
Thus, conspiracy theories offer a further dimension interesting from a psychological standpoint. They offer the possibility to transfer one's value system into the social domain: According to Mason (1997), the moral self must learn to discern the values held by other persons and institutions; and should encourage others to act morally. Fivush and Buckner (1997) argue that language is not only a medium, but is both necessary to construct a self-concept and to engage in moral-based interaction with others. From this point of view, making stories that describe the ethics of institutions as well as one's own is not a possibility, but a necessity in moral development. Also, sharing these narratives is desirable.
A conspiracy theory, thus, could be seen as a differentiated story of our beliefs and values helping us to understand and express our non-conscious moral feelings. Historic or contemporary events and developments which threaten these values may become the initial nucleus for such a story. The need to construct such a story arises from living in a society where the generally acknowledged goal of individuation is no longer a mere adoption of common beliefs, but where becoming individual is the preferred goal.
Furthermore, a conspiracy theory would allow us to share our beliefs with others and to make us (and others) cautious about the violation of ethical standards. Horstmann (2012) even hypothesizes that apocalyptic scenarios, for example about World War III, are the main reason such scenarios have not become reality so far. Narratives about dystopian developments make us aware of such developments in the first place.
Likewise, in conspiracy theories such scenarios are a common topic. This need not end in a feeling of helplessness, or, as Melley (2000) termed it, agency panic. A conspiracy theory might be considered as a remedy; yet, not only in the way described by Melley as a defense mechanism of individualism: social exchange about a supposed conspiracy is comforting and reassuring. Taking part in such language games requires a widely known story nucleus (e.g., the terrorist attacks of 9/11), so others recognize the importance of the story and can affiliate. We might consider a good conspiracy theory as a kind of interface to find like-minded people and to overcome alienation.

[h=3]The conspiracy code[/h]So far, we have considered:

• – The importance of stories, to be more precise, of mythical stories, in human history.
  • – The importance of stories that mirror a person's belief and value system as a means of individuation. They explicate what is good or bad and can be considered helpful to shape one's value system by organizing one's life experience in a meaningful way.
  • – The potential to find like-minded people by engaging in the active exchange of value-expressing stories.

However, the psychological importance of narratives does not explain: Why is a conspiracy theory a method of choice? A story about morale, i.e., what is right and wrong, will necessarily include both moral extremes. A rivalry between good and bad allows the storyteller to make clear which side he or she is on. However, it would be comforting if evil deeds are done by a manageable part of society, not by the majority; otherwise, one would cast himself an outsider. Additionally, these deeds must be concealed, too; in other respects, the majority of society would have noticed and would either approve of these deeds, or be indifferent. Both options would be discomforting.
Here we meet with existing approaches to the phenomenon of conspiracy theories. Many observed features suit perfectly with our assertions sketched here:

• – An immunization against counter-evidence makes a narration invulnerable. If the story reflects a person's most important beliefs and values, it is quite understandable why immunization is desirable.
  • – Four people had selected the item alleging to a Jewish involvement. The result suggests that anti-Semitic beliefs were present in our sample; but four out of 30 people might indicate that xenophobia is not the heart of every conspiracy theory. Yet, a conspiracy is in need for conspirers. We acknowledge the danger that some people might rely upon existing stereotypes—e.g., prejudice about Jews or Muslims. Exploiting such biases would indeed be a result of, not a reason for, conspiracy theories. An exemption would be a person who holds racist beliefs as most important conviction. The whole theory would be built around these convictions then—and mirror the psychological motifs described by Moscovici (1987).
  • – A powerless and underprivileged person might be in need to understand why he or she has failed in life; that means him or her as a person, with beliefs about right and wrong. We indeed could expect him or her to construct a rather extreme narrative that mirrors the severity of his failure in life. Here, attributional mechanisms to uphold the belief in a just world (Lerner, 1980) would be relevant, as described by Farr (1987).

Of course, a highly immunized, racist, and extreme conspiracy theory stands out. It attracts the attention of society and, consequently, of psychologists—and we indeed need to understand and explain the person behind such stories. In our sample, at least the one conspiracy theory we have stated in detail here would qualify for this extreme. But aside from this extreme shade of truth: there were 29 stories that demand deeper and more differentiated psychological analysis. When we regard conspiracy theories as a continuum of identity-shaping potential, the phenomenon is demystified. This will be an important step toward the appreciation “to what extent conspiracy theories reflect everyday cognitions” (Swami and Coles, 2010, p. 563).
This, of course, does not render research on individual differences useless. Actually, this specific research is highly relevant for our approach. Stories in general—and life stories in particular—are highly intertwined with a storyteller's personality. We assume that individual values determine the content of a conspiracy theory. We further assume that personality moderates if this theory is, for example, open for new evidence or highly immunized. Consequently, we suggest to further explore and analyze these interdependencies between content and shape. The mere form—a story about secret and potentially harmful deeds—would then be of lesser psychological relevance.
However, we must not neglect the fact of the harmful potential these theories bear. Considering them as an omnipresent and—in principle—benign psychological phenomenon helps us to explore why some people fall for extreme conspiratorial constructs of ideas which might lead to xenophobic or even racist arguments. It might also help us to understand how agitators deliberately use conspiracy theories to transport hateful ideology—wrapped up in a plausible plot that masks these foul intentions (Byford and Billig, 2001; Wood and Finlay, 2008). The question should not be: Why does one believe a racist conspiracy theory? Rather, we should ask: Why does one believe a racist conspiracy theory?

[h=3]Conflict of interest statement[/h]The authors declare that the research was conducted in the absence of any commercial or financial relationships that could be construed as a potential conflict of interest.

Go to:
[h=2]Footnotes[/h][SUP]1[/SUP]Explained in more detail in a separate manuscript recently submitted to the same Frontiers Research Topic

Go to:
[h=2]References[/h]
  • Bischof N. (1998). Das Kraftfeld der Mythen. Signale aus der Zeit, in der wir die Welt erschaffen haben [The force field of myths]. München: Piper
  • Burkert W. (2009). Kulte des Altertums. Biologische Grundlagen der Religion [Worship of antiquity]. München: C. H. Beck
  • Byford J., Billig M. (2001). The emergence of antisemitic conspiracy theories in Yugoslavia during the war with NATO. Patterns Prejudice 35, 50–63 10.1080/003132201128811287 [Cross Ref]
  • Campbell J. (2008). The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Novato, CA: New World Library
  • Farr R. M. (1987). Self/other relations and the social nature of reality, in Changing Conceptions of Conspiracy, eds Graumann C. F., Moscovici S., editors. (New York, NY: Springer; ), 203–217 10.1007/978-1-4612-4618-3_12 [Cross Ref]
  • Fivush R., Buckner J. (1997). The self as socially constructed: a commentary, in The Conceptual Self in Context. Culture, Experience, Self-understanding, eds Neisser U., Jopling D. A., editors. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; ), 176–181
  • Frenkel-Brunswik E. (1949). Intolerance of ambiguity as an emotional and perceptual personality variable. J. Pers. 18, 108–143 10.1111/j.1467-6494.1949.tb01236.x [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
  • Ganser D. (n.d.). 911 Untersuchen [Investigating 9/11]. Available online at: http://911untersuchen.ch/wissenschaft/daniele-ganser/ [Accessed March 1, 2013].
  • Gergen K. J. (2006). The relational self in historical context. Int. J. Dial. Sci. 1, 119–124
  • Goertzel T. (1994). Belief in conspiracy theories. Polit. Psychol. 15, 731–742 10.2307/3791630 [Cross Ref]
  • Grüter T. (2010). Freimaurer, Illuminaten und andere Verschwörer: Wie Verschwörungstheorien funktionieren [Freemasons, Illuminates and Other Conspirors: How Conspiracy Theories Work]. Frankfurt am Main: Fischer
  • Horstmann U. (2012). Abschreckungskunst. Zur Ehrenrettung der apokalyptischen Phantasie [The Art of Deterrence]. München: Wilhelm Fink
  • Kelley-Romano S. (2008). Trust no one: the conspiracy genre in American television. Southern Commun. J. 73, 105–121 10.1080/10417940802009509 [Cross Ref]
  • Lerner M. J. (1980). The Belief in a Just World. A Fundamental Delusion. New York, NY: Plenum; 10.1007/978-1-4899-0448-5 [Cross Ref]
  • Lewandowsky S., Cook J., Oberauer K., Marriott M. (2013). Recursive fury: conspiracist ideation in the blogosphere in response to research on conspiracist ideation. Front. Psychol. 4:73 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00073 [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
  • Lutter M. (2001). Sie kontrollieren alles! Verschwörungstheorien als Phänomen der Postmoderne und ihre Verbreitung über das Internet [They Control Everything! Conspiracy Theories as Phenomenon of the Post Modern Time and Their Dissemination to the Internet]. Munich: Edition Fatal
  • Lyotard J.-F. (2005). Das postmoderne Wissen [Postmodern Knowledge]. Wien: Passagen Verlag
  • Mason S. (1997). The self and contemporary theories of ethics, in The Conceptual Self in Context. Culture, Experience, Self-understanding, eds Neisser U., Jopling D. A., editors. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; ), 233–248
  • Mayring P. (2005). Neuere Entwicklungen in der qualitativen Forschung und der Qualitativen Inhaltsanalyse [New Developments for Qualitative Research and the Qualitative Content Analysis], eds Mayring P., Gläser-Zikuda M., editors. (Weinheim: Beltz; ), 7–19
  • McAdams D. P. (1993). The Stories We Live By. Personal Myths and the Making of the Self. New York, NY: William Morrow and Company
  • Melley T. (2000). Empire of Conspiracy: The Culture of Paranoia in Postwar America. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press
  • Moscovici S. (1987). The conspiracy mentality, in Changing Conceptions of Conspiracy, ed Moscovici C. F. G. A. S., editor. (New York, NY: Springer; ), 151–169 10.1007/978-1-4612-4618-3_9 [Cross Ref]
  • Muth C., Carbon C. C. (2013). The Aesthetic Aha: on the pleasure of having insights into Gestalt. Acta Psychol. (Amst) 144, 25–30 10.1016/j.actpsy.2013.05.001 [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
  • Muth C., Pepperell R., Carbon C. C. (in press). Give me Gestalt! Preference for Cubist artworks depicting highly detectable objects. Leonardo. [Epub ahead of print].
  • Newberg A., D'Aquili E., Rause V., Stadler H. (2003). Der gedachte Gott: Wie Glaube im Gehirn entsteht [The Imagined God]. München: Piper
  • Nietzsche F. (1882/1974). Die fröhliche Wissenschaft [The Gay Science]. New York, NY: Random House
  • Sapountzis A., Condor S. (2013). Conspiracy accounts as intergroup theories: challenging dominant understandings of social power and political legitimacy. Polit. Psychol. 10.1111/pops.12015.[Epubaheadofprint]. [Cross Ref]
  • Schwarzer R., Jerusalem M. (1995). Generalized self-efficacy scale, in Measures in Health Psychology: A User's Portfolio. Causal and Control Beliefs, eds Weinman J., Wright S., Johnson M., editors. (Windsor: NFER-NELSON; ), 35–37
  • Swami V., Chamorro-Premuzic T., Furnham A. (2010). Unanswered questions: a preliminary investigation of personality and individual difference predictors of 9/11 conspiracist beliefs. Appl. Cogn. Psychol. 24, 749–761 10.1002/acp.1583 [Cross Ref]
  • Swami V., Coles R. (2010). The truth is out there. Psychologist 23, 560–563
  • Wagner-Egger P., Bangerter A. (2007). The truth lies elsewhere: correlates of belief in conspiracy theories. Rev. Int. Psychol. Soc. Int. Rev. Soc. Psychol. 20, 31–61
  • Wilson T. D. (2002). Strangers to Ourselves: Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press
  • Wood C., Finlay W. M. L. (2008). British National Party representations of Muslims in the month after the London bombings: homogeneity, threat, and the conspiracy tradition. Br. J. Soc. Psychol. 47, 707–726 10.1348/014466607X264103 [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
  • Wood M. J., Douglas K. M., Sutton R. M. (2012). Dead and alive: beliefs in contradictory conspiracy theories. Soc. Psychol. Personal. Sci. 3, 767–773 10.1177/1948550611434786 [Cross Ref]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705173/

http://www.naturalnews.com/028887_vaccines_Bill_Gates.html

[h=1]Bill Gates funds covert vaccine nanotechnology[/h]
MikeAdams.jpg
Friday, May 28, 2010
by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is gaining a reputation for funding technologies designed to roll out mass sterilization and vaccination programs around the world. One of the programs recently funded by the foundation is a sterilization program that would use sharp blasts of ultrasound directed against a man's scrotum to render him infertile for six months. It might accurately be called a "temporary castration" technology. Read more about it here: http://www.naturalnews.com/028853_ultrasound...

Now, the foundation has funded a new "sweat-triggered vaccine delivery" program based on nanoparticles penetrating human skin. The technology is describes as a way to "...develop nanoparticles that penetrate the skin through hair follicles and burst upon contact with human sweat to release vaccines."

The research grant money is going to Carlos Alberto Guzman of the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research in Germany and Claus-Michael Lehr and Steffi Hansen of the Helmholtz-Institute for Pharmaceutical Research.

These are both part of the Gates Foundation's involvement in the "Grand Challenges Explorations" program which claims to be working to "achieve major breakthroughs in global health."

...breakthroughs like mass sterilization and nanoparticle vaccines that could be covertly administered even without your knowledge, it turns out. These nanoparticles could be used in a spray mist that's sprayed on to every person who walks through an airport security checkpoint, for example. Or it could be unleashed through the ventilation systems of corporate office buildings or public schools to vaccinate the masses. You wouldn't even know you were being vaccinated.

This technology is potentially very dangerous to your health freedom. Using it, governments or drug companies (which are all the same thing these days) could create a vaccine skin cream that's handed out and described as "sunscreen." But when you put it on, you're actually vaccinating yourself as the nanoparticles burrow underneath your skin and burst, releasing foreign DNA inside your body.

[h=1]A history of covert mass medication[/h]But why would the government medicate people without their knowledge or consent, you ask? They already do it with water fluoridation. Fluoride is a drug, and regional and national governments all over the world are using the water supply as a way to deliver the fluoride drug to people whether they need it or not -- and without any proper medical diagnosis or prescription.

So if governments are already covertly medicating people with fluoride in the water supply, they've set the stage mass-vaccinating people through similar channels, such as the air supply in buildings. And thanks to Bill Gates, this nanotechnology needed to pull this off is now being funded.

Is this really a "major breakthrough in global health?"

I suppose it is if you believe in covert medicine where you dose people with drugs or vaccines without their knowledge. Western medicine is so offensive to rational people that it can't even operate out in the open. That's why it resorts to covert contamination of the water supply in order to force the public to swallow its drugs.

[h=1]Fluoride and covert medicine[/h]Oh, by the way, to anyone who argues that fluoride is not a drug, remember this: According to the FDA, any chemical substance that has a biological effect on the human body is, by definition, a drug. Therefore fluoride is a drug, too.

Even more, fluoride is promoted with outlandish claims about "preventing cavities" by swallowing it, making it an "unapproved drug" according to the FDA. So how is it that this unapproved drug can be dripped into the water supply and forced upon hundreds of millions of people without a single diagnosis of fluoride deficiency or even a single prescription from a doctor?

The answer is that western medicine is so arrogant that it does not believe it needs to follow any rules, regulations or laws. It is a system of "bully" medicine where drugs are shoved down your throat by being covertly dripped into the water supply without your consent. So why should we believe vaccines will be any different? If mainstream medicine can find a way to force every person to unknowingly be injected with vaccines, make no mistake they will pursue it!

And such efforts will no doubt have the continued financial support of Bill Gates.

Sources for this story include:
The Daily Tell: http://www.thedailytell.com/2010/05/gates-fo...

Puget Sound Business Journal: http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2...

Lol stu!

That's ridiculous!

that study seems to be saying that people grab onto a conspiracy theory because it reflects themself but once again it is a rationalisation to hide the fact that people are now learning more and more about what is actually going on in the world because of the development of the internet and the alternative media allowing easier whistleblowing and the sharing of information

You know if you spent less time rationalising why you don't want to believe conspiracy theories and more time researching them you might have a better grasp of what is really going on in the world

Do you not realize that your claims are so vague that you actually will always be correct to some marginal degree?

I amd still waiting for the food riots over here.

Reactions: dogman6126
I amd still waiting for the food riots over here.

If you go back you will find that i actually said 'civil unrest' which we have seen, so i was correct

I did also predict food riots though yes....we will have to wait a little longer for that one as they have managed to stave them off by creating food banks and stamps

Or maybe it will be water first

[h=2]Schizophrenics used to see demons and spirits. Now they talk about actors and hidden cameras – and make a lot of sense[/h]

Mike Jay is a UK author and cultural historian. His latest book is The Influencing Machine (2012), now out in the US under the title A Visionary Madness.
3,300 words

• Read later

Clinical psychiatry papers rarely make much of a splash in the wider media, but it seems appropriate that a paper entitled ‘The Truman Show Delusion: Psychosis in the Global Village’, published in the May 2012 issue of Cognitive Neuropsychiatry, should have caused a global sensation. Its authors, the brothers Joel and Ian Gold, presented a striking series of cases in which individuals had become convinced that they were secretly being filmed for a reality TV show.
In one case, the subject travelled to New York, demanding to see the ‘director’ of the film of his life, and wishing to check whether the World Trade Centre had been destroyed in reality or merely in the movie that was being assembled for his benefit. In another, a journalist who had been hospitalised during a manic episode became convinced that the medical scenario was fake and that he would be awarded a prize for covering the story once the truth was revealed. Another subject was actually working on a reality TV series but came to believe that his fellow crew members were secretly filming him, and was constantly expecting the This-Is-Your-Life moment when the cameras would flip and reveal that he was the true star of the show.
Few commentators were able to resist the idea that these cases — all diagnosed with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, and treated with antipsychotic medication — were in some sense the tip of the iceberg, exposing a pathology in our culture as a whole. They were taken as extreme examples of a wider modern malaise: an obsession with celebrity turning us all into narcissistic stars of our own lives, or a media-saturated culture warping our sense of reality and blurring the line between fact and fiction. They seemed to capture the zeitgeist perfectly: cautionary tales for an age in which our experience of reality is manicured and customised in subtle and insidious ways, and everything from our junk mail to our online searches discreetly encourages us in the assumption that we are the centre of the universe.
But part of the reason that the Truman Show delusion seems so uncannily in tune with the times is that Hollywood blockbusters now regularly present narratives that, until recently, were confined to psychiatrists’ case notes and the clinical literature on paranoid psychosis. Popular culture hums with stories about technology that secretly observes and controls our thoughts, or in which reality is simulated with virtual constructs or implanted memories, and where the truth can be glimpsed only in distorted dream sequences or chance moments when the mask slips. A couple of decades ago, such beliefs would mark out fictional characters as crazy, more often than not homicidal maniacs. Today, they are more likely to identify a protagonist who, like Jim Carrey’s Truman Burbank, genuinely has stumbled onto a carefully orchestrated secret of which those around him are blandly unaware. These stories obviously resonate with our technology-saturated modernity. What’s less clear is why they so readily adopt a perspective that was, until recently, a hallmark of radical estrangement from reality. Does this suggest that media technologies are making us all paranoid? Or that paranoid delusions suddenly make more sense than they used to?
The first person to examine the curiously symbiotic relationship between new technologies and the symptoms of psychosis was Victor Tausk, an early disciple of Sigmund Freud. In 1919, he published a paper on a phenomenon he called ‘the influencing machine’. Tausk had noticed that it was common for patients with the recently coined diagnosis of schizophrenia to be convinced that their minds and bodies were being controlled by advanced technologies invisible to everyone but them. These ‘influencing machines’ were often elaborately conceived and predicated on the new devices that were transforming modern life. Patients reported that they were receiving messages transmitted by hidden batteries, coils and electrical apparatus; voices in their heads were relayed by advanced forms of telephone or phonograph, and visual hallucinations by the covert operation of ‘a magic lantern or cinematograph’. Tausk’s most detailed case study was of a patient named ‘Natalija A’, who believed that her thoughts were being controlled and her body manipulated by an electrical apparatus secretly operated by doctors in Berlin. The device was shaped like her own body, its stomach a velvet-lined lid that could be opened to reveal batteries corresponding to her internal organs.
Although these beliefs were wildly delusional, Tausk detected a method in their madness: a reflection of the dreams and nightmares of a rapidly evolving world. Electric dynamos were flooding Europe’s cities with power and light, their branching networks echoing the filigree structures seen in laboratory slides of the human nervous system. New discoveries such as X-rays and radio were exposing hitherto invisible worlds and mysterious powers that were daily discussed in popular science journals, extrapolated in pulp fiction magazines and claimed by spiritualists as evidence for the ‘other side’. But all this novelty was not, in Tausk’s view, creating new forms of mental illness. Rather, modern developments were providing his patients with a new language to describe their condition.
At the core of schizophrenia, he argued, was a ‘loss of ego-boundaries’ that made it impossible for subjects to impose their will on reality, or to form a coherent idea of the self. Without a will of their own, it seemed to them that the thoughts and words of others were being forced into their heads and issued from their mouths, and their bodies were manipulated like puppets, subjected to tortures or arranged in mysterious postures. These experiences made no rational sense, but those who suffered them were nevertheless subject to what Tausk called ‘the need for causality that is inherent in man’. They felt themselves at the mercy of malign external forces, and their unconscious minds fashioned an explanation from the material to hand, often with striking ingenuity. Unable to impose meaning on the world, they became empty vessels for the cultural artefacts and assumptions that swirled around them. By the early 20th century, many found themselves gripped by the conviction that some hidden operator was tormenting them with advanced technology.
A desert nomad is more likely to believe that he is being buried alive in sand by a djinn, and an urban American that he has been implanted with a microchip and is being monitored by the CIA
Tausk’s theory was radical in its implication that the utterances of psychosis were not random gibberish but a bricolage, often artfully constructed, of collective beliefs and preoccupations. Throughout history up to this point, the explanatory frame for such experiences had been essentially religious: they were seen as possession by evil spirits, divine visitations, witchcraft, or snares of the devil. In the modern age, these beliefs remained common, but alternative explanations were now available. The hallucinations experienced by psychotic patients, Tausk observed, are not typically three-dimensional objects but projections ‘seen on a single plane, on walls or windowpanes’. The new technology of cinema replicated this sensation precisely and was in many respects a rational explanation of it: one that ‘does not reveal any error of judgment beyond the fact of its non-existence’.
In their instinctive grasp of technology’s implicit powers and threats, influencing machines can be convincingly futuristic and even astonishingly prescient. The very first recorded case, from 1810, was a Bedlam inmate named James Tilly Matthews who drew exquisite technical drawings of the machine that was controlling his mind. The ‘Air Loom’, as he called it, used the advanced science of his day — artificial gases and mesmeric rays — to direct invisible currents into his brain, where a magnet had been implanted to receive them. Matthews’s world of electrically charged beams and currents, sheer lunacy to his contemporaries, is now part of our cultural furniture. A quick internet search reveals dozens of online communities devoted to discussing magnetic brain implants, both real and imagined.
The Gold brothers’ interpretation of the Truman Show delusion runs along similar lines. It might appear to be a new phenomenon that has emerged in response to our hypermodern media culture, but is in fact a familiar condition given a modern makeover. They make a primary distinction between the content of delusions, which is spectacularly varied and imaginative, and the basic forms of delusion, which they characterise as ‘both universal and rather small in number’.
Persecutory delusions, for example, can be found throughout history and across cultures; but within this category a desert nomad is more likely to believe that he is being buried alive in sand by a djinn, and an urban American that he has been implanted with a microchip and is being monitored by the CIA. ‘For an illness that is often characterised as a break with reality,’ they observe, ‘psychosis keeps remarkably up to date.’ Rather than being estranged from the culture around them, psychotic subjects can be seen as consumed by it: unable to establish the boundaries of the self, they are at the mercy of their often heightened sensitivity to social threats.
In this interpretation, the Truman Show delusion is a contemporary expression of a common form of delusion: the grandiose. Those experiencing the onset of psychosis often become convinced that the world has undergone a subtle shift, placing them at centre-stage in a drama of universal proportions. Everything is suddenly pregnant with meaning, every tiny detail charged with personal significance. The people around you are often complicit: playing pre-assigned roles, testing you or preparing you for an imminent moment of revelation. Such experiences have typically been interpreted as a divine visitation, a magical transformation or an initiation into a higher level of reality. It is easy to imagine how, if they descended on us without warning today, we might jump to the conclusion that the explanation was some contrivance of TV or social media: that, for some deliberately concealed reason, the attention of the world had suddenly focused on us, and an invisible public was watching with fascination to see how we would respond. The Truman Show delusion, then, needn’t imply that reality TV is either a cause or a symptom of mental illness; it might simply be that the pervasive presence of reality TV in our culture offers a plausible explanation for otherwise inexplicable sensations and events.
Here was what Hollywood executives always assumed audiences hated: filmmakers playing smart with their audiences, pulling the rug from under their feet
Although the formation of delusions is unconscious and often a response to profound trauma, the need to construct plausible scenarios gives it many commonalities with the process of writing fiction. On rare occasions the two overlap. In 1954, the English novelist Evelyn Waugh suffered a psychotic episode during which he thought he was persecuted by a cast of disembodied voices who were discussing his personality defects and spreading malicious rumours about him. He became convinced that the voices were being orchestrated by the producers of a recent BBC radio interview, whose questions he had found impertinent; he explained their ability to follow him wherever he went by invoking some hidden technology along the lines of a radionics ‘black box’, an enthusiasm of one of his neighbours. His delusions became increasingly florid but, as Waugh described it later, ‘it was not in the least like losing one’s reason… I was rationalising all the time, it was simply one’s reason working hard on the wrong premises.’
Waugh turned the experience into a brilliant comic novel, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold (1957). Its protagonist is a pompous but brittle writer in late middle age, whose paranoia about the modern world is fed by an escalating regime of liqueurs and sedatives until it erupts in full-blown persecution mania (a familiar companion for Waugh, who abbreviated it discreetly to ‘pm’ in letters to his wife). Although the novel smoothes the edges of Waugh’s bizarre associations and winks knowingly at Pinfold’s surreal predicament, the fictionalisation blurs into the narrative that emerged during Waugh’s psychosis: even for his close friends, it was impossible to tell exactly where the first ended and the second began.
By the time that Gilbert Pinfold was published, narratives of paranoia and psychosis were starting to migrate from psychiatry into popular culture, and first-person memoirs of mental illness were appearing as mass-market paperbacks. The memoir Operators and Things: The Inner Life of a Schizophrenic (1958), written under the pseudonym of Barbara O’Brien, told the remarkable story of a young woman pursued across America on Greyhound buses by a shadowy gang of ‘operators’ with a mind-controlling ‘stroboscope’, but was presented and packaged like a sci-fi thriller. Conversely, thrillers were incorporating plot lines that assumed the reality of mind-controlling technologies. Richard Condon’s best-selling novel The Manchurian Candidate (1959) turned on the premise that a hypnotised subject might be programmed to respond unconsciously to pre-arranged cues. In the book’s memorable and, with hindsight, eerily prescient climax, an unwitting agent is triggered to assassinate the US president. Condon’s deadpan satire was informed by Cold War anxieties about brainwashing and communist infiltration, but it also drew upon recent popular exposés of the ‘subliminal’ techniques of advertising, such as The Hidden Persuaders (1958) by Vance Packard. It was expertly pitched into the disputed territory of psychology’s black arts: a paranoid tale for paranoid times, which still informs a thriving netherworld of internet-driven conspiracy theories.
Perhaps the emergence of the influencing machine into modern fiction can be most clearly traced through the career and afterlife of Philip K Dick, who combined the profession of prolific pulp novelist with an intense hypochondriacal fascination with psychotic disorders. He diagnosed himself as both paranoid and schizophrenic at various times, and included schizophrenic characters in his fiction; many of his novels and short stories have a closer kinship with memoirs of mental illness than with the robots-and-spaceships tales of his sci-fi contemporaries. They play out restless iterations of the idea that consensus reality is in fact the construct of some form of influencing machine: a simulation designed to test our behaviour, a set of memories generated artificially to maintain us in our daily routines, a consumer fantasy sold to us by power-hungry corporations or obligingly furnished by mind-reading extraterrestrials. Dick’s novel Time Out of Joint came out the same year as The Manchurian Candidate and was a clear ancestor of The Truman Show. Its protagonist, Ragle Gumm, inhabits a bland suburban world that is gradually revealed to be a military simulation; the sole purpose of the set-up is to keep Gumm happily playing what he believes to be a battleship puzzle in the daily paper, while in reality his solutions are directing missile strikes in a war of which he is kept unaware.
Throughout his lifetime, Dick remained a cult author. His devoted but limited fan base prized his work for its uncompromising weirdness, never imagining that it might be assimilated into the popular mainstream. Indeed, after a series of visionary episodes in 1974, which he elaborated into a complex personal theology, Dick’s work became still more hermetic, remote even to his core sci-fi readership. He died in 1982, just as his novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968) was being adapted into Ridley Scott’s Bladerunner, its storyline soft-pedalled by a studio that believed audiences would reject the climactic revelation that its protagonist was himself an android. Subsequent film adaptations of Dick’s work, such as Paul Verhoeven’s Total Recall (1990), also toned down the radical reality switches of the source, limiting them to an opening set-up before settling into a final reel of uncomplicated action.
In 1999, however, The Matrix struck boxoffice gold with a script that presented a classic Dickian influencing machine in stark and undiluted form. An inquisitive hacker stumbles onto the ultimate secret: the so-called ‘real world’ is a simulation, concealing a reality in which all humanity has been enslaved and harvested by machines for centuries. Buttressed by reams of dialogue exploring the scenario’s existential implications, here was precisely what Hollywood executives previously assumed audiences hated: filmmakers playing smart with their audiences, pulling the narrative rug from under their feet, even toying with the fourth wall of the drama. And yet it was a sensational success, resonating far beyond the multiplex and inserting its memes deep into a wider culture that was now hosted by the internet.
As the American screenwriter William Goldman observed in his memoir Adventures in the Screen Trade (1983), in the movie business, nobody knows anything. It might be that a similarly bold metafiction could have been successful years earlier, but it feels more likely that the cultural impact of The Matrix reflected the ubiquity that interactive and digital media had achieved by the end of the 20th century. This was the moment at which the networked society reached critical mass: the futuristic ideas that, a decade before, were the preserve of a vanguard who read William Gibson’s cyberspace novels or followed the bleeding-edge speculations of the cyberculture magazine Mondo 2000 now became part of the texture of daily life for a global and digital generation. The headspinning pretzel logic that had confined Philip K Dick’s appeal to the cult fringes a generation earlier was now accessible to a mass audience. Suddenly, there was a public appetite for convoluted allegories that dissolved the boundaries between the virtual and the real.
[h=4]Explore Aeon[/h] Film & Television
Psychiatry & Psychotherapy
Stories & Literature
Surveillance

When James Tilly Matthews drew the invisible beams and rays of the Air Loom in his Bedlam cell, he was describing a world that existed only in his head. But his world is now ours: we can no longer count all the invisible rays, beams and signals that are passing through our bodies at any moment. Victor Tausk argued that the influencing machine emerged from a confusion between the outside world and private mental events, a confusion resolved when the patient invented an external cause to make sense of his thoughts, dreams and hallucinations. But the modern word of television and computers, the virtual and the interactive, blurs traditional distinctions between perception and reality.
When we watch live sporting events on giant public screens or follow breaking news stories in our living rooms, we are only receiving flickering images, yet our hearts beat in synchrony with millions of unseen others. We Skype with two-dimensional facsimiles of our friends, and model idealised versions of ourselves for our social profiles. Avatars and aliases allow us to commune at once intimately and anonymously. Multiplayer games and online worlds allow us to create customised realities as all-embracing as The Truman Show. Leaks and exposés continually undermine our assumptions about what we are revealing and to whom, how far our actions are being monitored and our thoughts being transmitted. We manipulate our identities and are manipulated by unknown others. We cannot reliably distinguish the real from the fake, or the private from the public.
In the 21st century, the influencing machine has escaped from the shuttered wards of the mental hospital to become a distinctive myth for our times. It is compelling not because we all have schizophrenia, but because reality has become a grey scale between the external world and our imaginations. The world is now mediated in part by technologies that fabricate it and partly by our own minds, whose pattern-recognition routines work ceaselessly to stitch digital illusions into the private cinema of our consciousness. The classical myths of metamorphosis explored the boundaries between humanity and nature and our relationship to the animals and the gods. Likewise, the fantastical technologies that were once the hallmarks of insanity enable us to articulate the possibilities, threats and limits of the tools that are extending our minds into unfamiliar dimensions, both seductive and terrifying.
23 August 2013
http://aeon.co/magazine/psychology/how-reality-caught-up-with-paranoid-delusions/

Go and get your flu shot you big hypocrite!

Stop making excuses, put your money where your big mouth is and go and get your damn vaccine!

Ok. Now I'm going to call you crazy.

I'd rather get sleep than vaccines.....

Ok. Now I'm going to call you crazy.

I'd rather get sleep than vaccines.....

Get the vaccine and it might give you narcolepsy and then you'll kill two birds with one stone

I expect you to get your vaccine in the next month or i'm calling bullshit on your argument...in fact don't do that man....seriously....don't get the vaccine

[video=youtube;L5is16A8pfw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5is16A8pfw[/video]

[video=youtube;DPnWaBsMYnY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPnWaBsMYnY[/video]

Get the vaccine and it might give you narcolepsy and then you'll kill two birds with one stone

I expect you to get your vaccine in the next month or i'm calling bullshit on your argument...in fact don't do that man....seriously....don't get the vaccine

To be completely honest with you muir, whether or not I get a vaccine in no way establishes that my argument is false. That's blatantly ridiculous. Perfect example btw for this thread on the psychology of conspiracy theories. Thank you for that demonstration muir.

To make sure everyone got that....
I expect you to get your vaccine in the next month or i'm calling bullshit on your argument
Perfect example of the kind of argumentation that conspiracy theorists take as proof of something. Doesn't hold up in the least.
What if I get hit by a bus and die in two weeks muir? What if zombies attack within the next three weeks? Does that mean vaccines are toxic because I didn't get my vaccine? Well, I suppose if the zombies were created by vaccines......
(btw muir, that was a joke)

Even your own claims of vaccine toxicity suggest that the only threat is to infants. Or did you forget about what your own argument hinged on...?

You twist your arguments for buzz words. Not if they are consistent or even intelligible.

[video=youtube;RF2JY5abNXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF2JY5abNXQ[/video]

[video=youtube;L5is16A8pfw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5is16A8pfw[/video]

[video=youtube;DPnWaBsMYnY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPnWaBsMYnY[/video]

^ predictable spamming of articles and videos by muir.

Here's a prediction for you muir. I predict that you will CONTINUE to spam videos and articles.....

Now either of two things will happen:
1. You continue and prove my point that vague, and wide scoped predictions mean almost nothing
2. You stop and do all of us on this thread a favor....