Do you talk to your friends about music?

uuu

Donor
MBTI
I
I saw a quip somewhere—might have been a newspaper column—about how Gen Z doesn't talk about music the way previous generations did. You know, exchanging recommendations, trading records, that kind of stereotypical Boomer and Gen X thing.

Does this ring true to your experience?

I'm no Zoomer, but a younger millenial, and my memories of conversations about music were mostly being quizzed by hipsters about whether I knew this or that band, or people questioning whether I was a "real" fan because I claimed to like a band but didn't know all their albums. So I don't really like talking about music because I find it saps from my enjoyment of it, and I think Gen Z might be getting this one right.

I'm a xennial and I enjoy talking about music but only if others are receptive and open about it

I’m Gen X and married to a musician, so… yes, music is part of daily conversations. It really was a major part of social bonding for us when younger.

Although I don’t think there is much validity to generational categorizations, I was either the end of gen X or the beginning of gen Y, depending on the researcher. I do relate to X a bit more. I do recall sitting around with friends listening to entire albums. We would talk about the music, the lyrics, and meanings. Sometimes pick on each other’s tastes with the upmost immaturity. It brought us together in a way that helped define our friendships, our cliques, and our individuality.

Back