Is it harder to believe in God or not to believe in God?

Peace

Community Member
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I find it an interesting thought.

There are those who say that a belief in God requires a "leap of faith" because it is not based on reason or observable evidence, which in turn means it would be harder to believe in God than not to believe in God.

However, there are some who say that a belief in God and other such mystic experiences is simply a part of the human genome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_gene

That would mean a belief in God is biological which would then mean it is not truly a choice and therefore it would be much harder to not believe in God.

So which do you think it is? Do you think that everyone, regardless of what they might say, believes in God or some mystical force?

I would speculate that life is easier if you believe in God. First of all, you have a large group of people that you automatically belong in. Secondly, to be moderately religious is highly socially acceptable. Third, it gives a person purpose in life. Fourth, belief can be a source of comfort.

speaking as just one single individual voice i assure you that i believe there is no god and that this belief is very easy and natural to me.

IMO, it's harder to believe what with all the evidence contra the existence of a living God. That, or lack of evidence for it.

IMO, it's harder to believe what with all the evidence contra the existence of a living God. That, or lack of evidence for it.
Tons of people don't need, and don't care for, evidence to hold a belief.

I think believing or disbelieving is an act of faith. Confidence that there is not a God is the same to me as confidence that there is one (or more). Blind faith either way.

However, there are some who say that a belief in God and other such mystic experiences is simply a part of the human genome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_gene

That would mean a belief in God is biological which would then mean it is not truly a choice and therefore it would be much harder to not believe in God.

A goal also focused on identifying individual variations in the human genome. Although more than 99% of human DNA sequences are the same across the population, variations in DNA sequence can have a major impact on how humans respond to disease; environmental insults such as bacteria, viruses, toxins, and chemicals; and drugs and other therapies.
It must be part of that 1%. Though, it would just give those that do believe in a God more reason to do so "look, He gave me a gene so that I would believe! Divine destiny!!" lol
So which do you think it is? Do you think that everyone, regardless of what they might say, believes in God or some mystical force?

Yeah, I think people are genetically wired to be conscious, aware of something. They have a God, they just dont have a map for it [yet]. The use of religion and other spiritual foods just assign a label to it to help you better understand it and use it to your benefit.

If your definition of God includes: 'that/it/he that causes/caused the universe to exist' - then it seems equally easy to believe or not believe in God.

One can either choose to believe that the universe is un-caused in its existence; or caused. There is no evidence to support either position.

I think believing or disbelieving is an act of faith. Confidence that there is not a God is the same to me as confidence that there is one (or more). Blind faith either way.
+1
I find it as difficult to believe as I do to disbelieve.
Logistically, a lot of things don't add up and I'm skeptical.
But I have had experiences that make me wonder if there is a divinity.
For instance, being overwhelmed with feelings of forgiveness and compassion for someone that I couldn't help but attribute to having tapped into some sort of hidden, but ever- present divine vein coursing through life, as if I was too small a being to feel and comprehend these things myself... and I remember wondering if I was lucky enough to have just had a glimpse of God's feelings towards people.

If you are asking what is the singular root cause for human spirituality despite all the variation in the world, then the answer is an individual being's recognition of mortality. Death is simultaneously life's greatest surety and unknown variable; the one thing we find to be inevitable and the greatest cause of confusion and doubt. All the various world religions are built upon this core argument either explicity or implicitly.

Last edited:
Tons of people don't need, and don't care for, evidence to hold a belief.

"If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people."

If you are asking what is the singular root cause for human spirituality despite all the variation in the world, then the answer is an individual being's recognition of mortality. Death is simultaneously life's greatest surety and unknown variable; the one thing we find to be inevitable and the greatest cause of confusion and doubt. All the various world religions are built upon this core argument either explicity or implicitly.

Yeah, being an Atheist is as much a leap of faith as being religious. Me, I prefer to stay in the realm of uncertainty. How can anyone really know? Maybe one day.

I believe it harder to not believe in God, as I believe in God. I might propose it may be harder for those who do not believe in God to believe in God.

Belief is rather circumstantial, no?

Last edited:
One of many, many ways to look at it. Copied from Wikipedia.

Share the link to this, please?
--
At the OP's questions:

Human biology is centered around the physical world and does not strictly coincide with possible metaphysical realms. Loosely speaking, religion can meet psychological wants - comfort, competence, community/belonging, and status, namely - that can indirectly boost one's health. But other philosophies can lead to the same, so theology does not appear to be necessary, though it can be useful.

(Pardon typos and grammatical mistakes, it is very late.)

Last edited:
Can anything exist without purpose? Why would we experience this existence if existing had no purpose?

From my perspective, it is harder to believe that no God could exist.

Atheism is not logically sound. Adherence to such a belief requires a closed mind.

I went through an agnostic phase but I can no longer deny the existence of the Source from which I came.

Can anything exist without purpose?

Yes.

Why would we experience this existence if existing had no purpose?

Because we think.

From my perspective, it is harder to believe that no God could exist.

Okay.

Atheism is not logically sound.

The same could be said of theism.

Adherence to such a belief requires a closed mind.

The same could be said of theism.

I went through an agnostic phase but I can no longer deny the existence of the Source from which I came.

So you think anyone who thinks differently than you is in denial?

Yes, we think.

But why do we think?

Do we do it for the fun of it?

Does this existence want us to be here, to merely think about it?

Thinking is not necessarily a big part of everyones life... but Feeling is universal.

Whether it be pain or pleasure, great joy or sorrow, we do Feel something at least once or twice while here on Earth.

We do learn to deny our thoughts and feelings, but it takes practice and motivation to remain steadfast in denial.

Back