Merkabah | Page 66 | INFJ Forum
Bonsai trees! They are very nice and relaxing and very meditative. These are mine in Go Bonsai! the bonsai simulator.

I have a real bonsai too (a slanted Juniper) because I'm legit like that but at least this way it doesn't take years if you're interested in trying new shapes.

mj6z9.jpg

2mq98ch.jpg

rr8r9h.jpg

[/FONT][/COLOR][video=youtube;DZGINaRUEkU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DZGINaRUEkU[/video]

“By choosing your thoughts, and by selecting which emotional currents you will release and which you will reinforce, you determine the quality of your Light. You determine the effects that you will have upon others, and the nature of the experience of your life.” -Gary Zukav [/SIZE]

Off topic, but I think this explains a lot.

[video=youtube;J8mTwCRZLWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8mTwCRZLWA[/video]

Reactions: Skarekrow
Bonsai trees! They are very nice and relaxing and very meditative. These are mine in Go Bonsai! the bonsai simulator.

I have a real bonsai too (a slanted Juniper) because I'm legit like that but at least this way it doesn't take years if you're interested in trying new shapes.

rr8r9h.jpg
This a my favorite one….but they all look very nice!
I have a large variety of houseplants at home…I can’t go without being surrounded by them…I don’t know why, it’s just always how I have been.

Reactions: t56hg2bv
I have a large variety of houseplants at home…I can’t go without being surrounded by them…I don’t know why, it’s just always how I have been.

Yeah I love plants but don't often keep them. Mainly outside plants. I had a mini rose plant in my window but my cat liked it a bit much and I suspect he wrecked it because I came home and it was destroyed everywhere.

Right now I just have my bonsai, a mint plant, and some chives outside. Chives are awesome, they have pretty flowers when blooming and are completely edible, and require no maintenance. They grow like crazy by themselves.

Yeah I love plants but don't often keep them. Mainly outside plants. I had a mini rose plant in my window but my cat liked it a bit much and I suspect he wrecked it because I came home and it was destroyed everywhere.

Right now I just have my bonsai, a mint plant, and some chives outside. Chives are awesome, they have pretty flowers when blooming and are completely edible, and require no maintenance. They grow like crazy by themselves.
Very nice! I have…..about 8-9 houseplants…and outside several more on the porch…then I have a big strawberry plant, some squash and several varieties of tomatoes (I usually look for the strangest varieties I can…right now I’m growing a “Green Zebra” heirloom).

Yes, I understand the need to be surrounded by nature. Luckily, in Ireland, you only need to drive a few miles before you reach a forest.

I had actually planned to be a forest ranger when I left school.

Reactions: say what
Yes, I understand the need to be surrounded by nature. Luckily, in Ireland, you only need to drive a few miles before you reach a forest.

Well, I would love to see Ireland one day and Wales…
Up here in Washington state we have our share of nature and trees…I actually have a really nice view of Mt. St. Helens where I live..and we have some fantastic forests just minutes away.

I'm glad I live where I live now because there are trees everywhere. Everywhere you look the skyline is full of tall trees because it's one of the old neighborhoods where every lot would have at least one tree planted on it, if not several, and there's some wooded lots, so there's many trees that are pretty old. Some places don't have that, some cities here have nary a tree anywhere - they look really bare to me.

Have you seen this?

[h=1]Concussion: 4 Cases Of Acquired Savant Syndrome That Turned Regular Folks Into Geniuses[/h]
Science is a slippery mess when it comes to acquired savant syndrome.
The closest scientists have come to understanding what happens in the
brain when a concussion leads to mathematical or artistic genius
is that more neural connections are being made. Psychologists generally regard creativity, in a basic sense, as the bridges your
brainbuilds between unrelated parts.
You see patterns where others don’t. Acquired savants stumble upon this dense web on accident, their talents mysteriously changed forever
. ...http://www.medicaldaily.com/rain-ma...syndrome-turned-regular-folks-geniuses-287426.

Have you seen this?

Concussion: 4 Cases Of Acquired Savant Syndrome That Turned Regular Folks Into Geniuses

. ...http://www.medicaldaily.com/rain-ma...syndrome-turned-regular-folks-geniuses-287426.[/FONT][/COLOR]
What is very interesting about this to me are all the articles I have been reading and researching lately that talk about magic mushrooms NOT causing damage to your brain like once was believed….but they actually are creating the growth of new brain cells!
I find this very amazing…it is just another example of the wisdom our ancient ancestors knew…to them, the mushrooms have always been a sacred right and ritual…it wasn’t looked down upon…the same with weed and other drugs out there. It makes you wonder…you know you see the stereo-typical old hippie in TV and movies, who’s mind has been blown by too many LSD trips or whatnot…and I’m sure there are a couple of guys out there who are that guy to a “T”…but I want to say that is just a bad stereo-type and not how it really is….maybe…because this stuff does indeed create the sense of “connectedness” because it is creating new cells and literally “expanding” that portion of the mind….it is developing the ability to see so incredibly far beyond the “self”.
I find this very exciting!

Last edited:

When Grammy Award-winning vocalist Ciara appeared in a 2013 video wearing a jacket emblazoned with "Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn," the legions of Illuminati-obsessed fundamentalist bloggers salivated with yet more proof of the ongoing Hollywood occult conspiracy to lead us all into worship of the Dark Lord.
Readers of this site would know better than most, however, that those foaming-at-the-mouth critics of the Hollywood/MKULTRA/mind control plot to enslave young minds through popular music have a very limited understanding of the rich and complex history of Western occultism.

The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, which originated in late 19th century London among a small group of Masonic Rosicrucians, remains the most influential and well-known occult society in Western history. Its story has been told in a number of popular books, and its prominent members–Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers, William Butler Yeats, A. E. Waite, Dion Fortune, and Israel Regardie–are icons of esoteric lore. Yet countless Neopagans and New Agers, along with those who dabble in esoteric practices like Kabbalah, Tarot, astral travel, and visualization, have no idea that their spiritual beliefs and practices are pulled directly from the pioneering work of this magical secret society.

Pick up any book on practical magic and you’re likely to find rituals, often without attribution, plagiarized from the Golden Dawn. One ritual in particular, the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, is found in nearly every modern occult tradition, from ceremonial magic to Wicca and the latest flavor of Neopaganism. It is the Swiss Army Knife of occultism, intended to clear ceremonial space of malign or obtrusive energies and entities, but its origination in the Golden Dawn frequently goes unmentioned. Before Golden Dawn members started tracing glowing pentagrams in the air while intoning Hebrew names of God, the idea of summoning and banishing demons and spirits was wrapped in the archaic, complex (and often perplexing) rituals gleaned from old medieval grimoires and the obscure books of 19th century occultist Eliphas Levi.

Levi also built upon the writings of French Freemason (and friend of Benjamin Franklin) Antoine Court de Gébelin, who originated the idea of the Tarot cards as a book of ancient wisdom and a tool of divination. Before Gébelin, the cards were seen as nothing more than a game, albeit with simple moral lessons illustrated by the Trump cards. Mathers and his associates drew upon the writings of Levi and grafted the Tarot to the Jewish Kabbalah by matching the 22 Trump cards with the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet and the 22 paths on the Kabbalistic Tree of Life.

The Rider-Waite deck, the most popular and influential of all time (recognizable from its ubiquity in pop culture), was created by Arthur Edward Waite, a member of the Golden Dawn, and published in 1910. Although Waite changed some of the imagery on the cards to avoid breaking his vow of secrecy, their symbolism and meaning are clearly based on the order's teachings, and any Tarot reader using his cards or the many decks based on them is–often unknowingly–drawing from the deep well of the Golden Dawn.

The Kabbalah (or Cabala or Qabalah) was an obscure Jewish mystical tradition and virtually unknown outside of Judaic circles until its popularization by the Golden Dawn. Mathers and company drew upon the syncretic fusion of this Jewish mystical tradition with Hermetic Christianity, most notably in the works of occultist Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa and Jesuit priest Athanasius Kircher (who also threw pagan and Egyptian elements into the mix). It’s hard to imagine the Kabbalah would have ever emerged from its religious niche into global pop culture had it not been for the Golden Dawn building a practical system of occultism on top of it. Even as the order disintegrated from the usual mix of battling egos and magical infighting in the early twentieth century, many of its practitioners–Dion Fortune and Aleister Crowley being among the most prominent–took the Kabbalistic teachings and practices and formed their own schools of magic and mysticism (several of which are still in existence).

Other magical practices revitalized, reinvented, and popularized by the Golden Dawn included astral travel, scrying, alchemy, guided visualization, and astrology–all foundations of what later came under the broader umbrella of New Age philosophy. Although a number of Golden Dawn lodges still exist (and are still engaged in feuding and bickering about who holds the “true” lineage), the influence of the order now is much more pervasive where it is least known and acknowledged.

Indeed, it’s hard to pick up a book off a shelf in a New Age bookstore that isn’t in some manner linked to the Victorian magicians of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn–from the simplistic pop magic of The Secret to popular books on the Kabbalah and nearly every book of practical magical techniques. In many respects, the goals of the original society have succeeded beyond the wildest clairvoyant visions of its early members, and the Golden Dawn magical “current” is flowing more powerfully and more widely now than when its first fraters and sorores gathered to make magic in their secret lodges over a hundred years ago.

A very curious story!!

Man without a Country: The Mystery Man from Taured

One of the most perplexing events of the 20th Century did not involve flying saucers, conspiracy theories, a criminal act, or even strange creature sightings. It took place on a seemingly normal day in one of the most tedious, mundane places one could imagine: Airport.

Yet to this day, no one knows exactly what happened there, or why one average business traveler became the heart of an enigma largely forgotten by our modern world.

Haneda Airport, as it appeared in 1954, photographed by Rodney Stich.

The year 1954 was hotter than normal in Tokyo, but at Haneda Airport it was business as usual. That is, of course, until one unknown date when a routine European inbound plane dropped off its passengers. As the crowd made its way through customs, a neatly-dressed middle-aged Caucasian man stepped up and told officials this was just a normal business trip or him, one of three so far this year to Japan. His primary language was French, yet he spoke Japanese and several other languages. In his wallet was a variety of currencies from various European countries, as if to verify his frequent flyer tendencies.

When they asked him for his country of origin, things became strange. He casually stated that he was from Taured, on the border between France and Spain. The officials told him that Taured didn’t exist, but he presented them with his passport–issued by the nonexistent country of Taured–which also showed visa stamps corroborating his previous business travels to Japan and other countries. Yet when they called the company he said he was having a meeting with, they had never heard of him or his company ever before that moment. The hotel he had reserved a room at had no reservation for such a person, and the bank listed on his checkbook appeared not to exist.

Map of the country of Andorra, believed to be “Taured”.

The bearded man scoffed; surely, this was some elaborate practical joke for his benefit. Customs officials showed him a world map and pointed to the tiny country of Andorra. Perhaps that was his real country of origin and somehow he was either mistaken or having his own little joke? The man became irate, saying that Andorra didn’t exist but it was right where Taured should be. His proud country had existed for a thousand years. Still in shock over his misplaced homeland, the mystery man was detained by customs and given a room at a nearby hotel for the night while officials tried to figure out what was going on.

The following morning, the mystery deepened. Taured’s one and only known resident completely vanished from his hotel room which had been guarded by immigration officials all night long. And to make matters worse, all of his personal documents–including his passport and drivers license issued by the mystery country–vanished from the airport’s security room. Police and airport officials searched in vain for the mysterious man. It was as if the whole encounter had never actually happened.

No documentation verifying this story has yet surfaced, but it was mentioned in several books, including The Directory of Possibilities (1981, p. 86) and Strange But True: Mysterious and Bizarre People (1999, p. 64). And given its puzzling ending, I doubt that any official would have written up a report concluding that the man and all his documented evidence simply vanished.

Could this man and other out-of-place travelers be from another dimension?

Surprisingly, misplaced travelers such as the business man from Taured have appeared on many occasions. In 1851, a man was found wandering Frankfurt an der Oder in northeast Germany who claimed he was from a country called Laxaria on the continent of Sakria. Another young man who spoke a completely unrecognizable language was caught stealing a loaf of bread in Paris in 1905; he said he was from Lizbia, which authorities assumed was Lisbon–or Lisboa in Portuguese, yet his language was not Portuguese nor did he recognize a map of Portugal as his homeland.

Is Taured out there somewhere? And what about Laxaria or Liziba? Did these men fall backward through time or pass through dimensions? Or were they simply perpetrating a hoax or mentally ill?

WHAT A SHAMAN SEE’S IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL
JUNE 16, 2014 KRISTOPHER LOVE http://thespiritscience.net/2014/06/16/what-a-shaman-sees-in-a-mental-hospital/
The Shamanic View of Mental Illness
In the shamanic view, mental illness signals “the birth of a healer,” explains Malidoma Patrice Somé. Thus, mental disorders are spiritual emergencies, spiritual crises, and need to be regarded as such to aid the healer in being born.

What those in the West view as mental illness, the Dagara people regard as “good news from the other world.” The person going through the crisis has been chosen as a medium for a message to the community that needs to be communicated from the spirit realm. “Mental disorder, behavioral disorder of all kinds, signal the fact that two obviously incompatible energies have merged into the same field,” says Dr. Somé. These disturbances result when the person does not get assistance in dealing with the presence of the energy from the spirit realm.

One of the things Dr. Somé encountered when he first came to the United States in 1980 for graduate study was how this country deals with mental illness. When a fellow student was sent to a mental institute due to “nervous depression,” Dr. Somé went to visit him.
I was so shocked. That was the first time I was brought face to face with what is done here to people exhibiting the same symptoms I’ve seen in my village.” What struck Dr. Somé was that the attention given to such symptoms was based on pathology, on the idea that the condition is something that needs to stop. This was in complete opposition to the way his culture views such a situation. As he looked around the stark ward at the patients, some in straitjackets, some zoned out on medications, others screaming, he observed to himself, “So this is how the healers who are attempting to be born are treated in this culture. What a loss! What a loss that a person who is finally being aligned with a power from the other world is just being wasted.”

Another way to say this, which may make more sense to the Western mind, is that we in the West are not trained in how to deal or even taught to acknowledge the existence of psychic phenomena, the spiritual world. In fact, psychic abilities are denigrated. When energies from the spiritual world emerge in a Western psyche, that individual is completely unequipped to integrate them or even recognize what is happening. The result can be terrifying. Without the proper context for and assistance in dealing with the breakthrough from another level of reality, for all practical purposes, the person is insane. Heavy dosing with anti-psychotic drugs compounds the problem and prevents the integration that could lead to soul development and growth in the individual who has received these energies.

On the mental ward, Dr Somé saw a lot of “beings” hanging around the patients, “entities” that are invisible to most people but that shamans and psychics are able to see. “They were causing the crisis in these people,” he says. It appeared to him that these beings were trying to get the medications and their effects out of the bodies of the people the beings were trying to merge with, and were increasing the patients’ pain in the process. “The beings were acting almost like some kind of excavator in the energy field of people. They were really fierce about that. The people they were doing that to were just screaming and yelling,” he said. He couldn’t stay in that environment and had to leave.

In the Dagara tradition, the community helps the person reconcile the energies of both worlds–”the world of the spirit that he or she is merged with, and the village and community.” That person is able then to serve as a bridge between the worlds and help the living with information and healing they need. Thus, the spiritual crisis ends with the birth of another healer. “The other world’s relationship with our world is one of sponsorship,” Dr. Somé explains. “More often than not, the knowledge and skills that arise from this kind of merger are a knowledge or a skill that is provided directly from the other world.”

The beings who were increasing the pain of the inmates on the mental hospital ward were actually attempting to merge with the inmates in order to get messages through to this world. The people they had chosen to merge with were getting no assistance in learning how to be a bridge between the worlds and the beings’ attempts to merge were thwarted. The result was the sustaining of the initial disorder of energy and the aborting of the birth of a healer.
“The Western culture has consistently ignored the birth of the healer,” states Dr. Somé. “Consequently, there will be a tendency from the other world to keep trying as many people as possible in an attempt to get somebody’s attention. They have to try harder.” The spirits are drawn to people whose senses have not been anesthetized. “The sensitivity is pretty much read as an invitation to come in,” he notes.

Those who develop so-called mental disorders are those who are sensitive, which is viewed in Western culture as oversensitivity. Indigenous cultures don’t see it that way and, as a result, sensitive people don’t experience themselves as overly sensitive. In the West, “it is the overload of the culture they’re in that is just wrecking them,” observes Dr. Somé. The frenetic pace, the bombardment of the senses, and the violent energy that characterize Western culture can overwhelm sensitive people.

Schizophrenia and Foreign Energy
With schizophrenia, there is a special “receptivity to a flow of images and information, which cannot be controlled,” stated Dr. Somé. “When this kind of rush occurs at a time that is not personally chosen, and particularly when it comes with images that are scary and contradictory, the person goes into a frenzy.”
What is required in this situation is first to separate the person’s energy from the extraneous foreign energies, by using shamanic practice (what is known as a “sweep”) to clear the latter out of the individual’s aura. With the clearing of their energy field, the person no longer picks up a flood of information and so no longer has a reason to be scared and disturbed, explains Dr. Somé.
Then it is possible to help the person align with the energy of the spirit being attempting to come through from the other world and give birth to the healer. The blockage of that emergence is what creates problems. “The energy of the healer is a high-voltage energy,” he observes. “When it is blocked, it just burns up the person. It’s like a short-circuit. Fuses are blowing. This is why it can be really scary, and I understand why this culture prefers to confine these people. Here they are yelling and screaming, and they’re put into a straitjacket. That’s a sad image.” Again, the shamanic approach is to work on aligning the energies so there is no blockage, “fuses” aren’t blowing, and the person can become the healer they are meant to be.
It needs to be noted at this point, however, that not all of the spirit beings that enter a person’s energetic field are there for the purposes of promoting healing. There are negative energies as well, which are undesirable presences in the aura. In those cases, the shamanic approach is to remove them from the aura, rather than work to align the discordant energies

Alex: Crazy in the USA, Healer in Africa
To test his belief that the shamanic view of mental illness holds true in the Western world as well as in indigenous cultures, Dr. Somé took a mental patient back to Africa with him, to his village. “I was prompted by my own curiosity to find out whether there’s truth in the universality that mental illness could be connected with an alignment with a being from another world,” says Dr. Somé.
Alex was an 18-year-old American who had suffered a psychotic break when he was 14. He had hallucinations, was suicidal, and went through cycles of dangerously severe depression. He was in a mental hospital and had been given a lot of drugs, but nothing was helping. “The parents had done everything–unsuccessfully,” says Dr. Somé. “They didn’t know what else to do.”

With their permission, Dr. Somé took their son to Africa. “After eight months there, Alex had become quite normal, Dr. Somé reports. He was even able to participate with healers in the business of healing; sitting with them all day long and helping them, assisting them in what they were doing with their clients . . . . He spent about four years in my village.” Alex stayed by choice, not because he needed more healing. He felt, “much safer in the village than in America.”
To bring his energy and that of the being from the spiritual realm into alignment, Alex went through a shamanic ritual designed for that purpose, although it was slightly different from the one used with the Dagara people. “He wasn’t born in the village, so something else applied. But the result was similar, even though the ritual was not literally the same,” explains Dr. Somé. The fact that aligning the energy worked to heal Alex demonstrated to Dr. Somé that the connection between other beings and mental illness is indeed universal.
After the ritual, Alex began to share the messages that the spirit being had for this world. Unfortunately, the people he was talking to didn’t speak English (Dr. Somé was away at that point). The whole experience led, however, to Alex’s going to college to study psychology. He returned to the United States after four years because “he discovered that all the things that he needed to do had been done, and he could then move on with his life.”
The last that Dr. Somé heard was that Alex was in graduate school in psychology at Harvard. No one had thought he would ever be able to complete undergraduate studies, much less get an advanced degree.
Dr. Somé sums up what Alex’s mental illness was all about: “He was reaching out. It was an emergency call. His job and his purpose was to be a healer. He said no one was paying attention to that.”
After seeing how well the shamanic approach worked for Alex, Dr. Somé concluded that spirit beings are just as much an issue in the West as in his community in Africa. “Yet the question still remains, the answer to this problem must be found here, instead of having to go all the way overseas to seek the answer. There has to be a way in which a little bit of attention beyond the pathology of this whole experience leads to the possibility of coming up with the proper ritual to help people.

Longing for Spiritual Connection
A common thread that Dr. Somé has noticed in “mental” disorders in the West is “a very ancient ancestral energy that has been placed in stasis, that finally is coming out in the person.” His job then is to trace it back, to go back in time to discover what that spirit is. In most cases, the spirit is connected to nature, especially with mountains or big rivers, he says.
In the case of mountains, as an example to explain the phenomenon, “it’s a spirit of the mountain that is walking side by side with the person and, as a result, creating a time-space distortion that is affecting the person caught in it.” What is needed is a merger or alignment of the two energies, “so the person and the mountain spirit become one.” Again, the shaman conducts a specific ritual to bring about this alignment.
Dr. Somé believes that he encounters this situation so often in the United States because “most of the fabric of this country is made up of the energy of the machine, and the result of that is the disconnection and the severing of the past. You can run from the past, but you can’t hide from it.” The ancestral spirit of the natural world comes visiting. “It’s not so much what the spirit wants as it is what the person wants,” he says. “The spirit sees in us a call for something grand, something that will make life meaningful, and so the spirit is responding to that.”
That call, which we don’t even know we are making, reflects “a strong longing for a profound connection, a connection that transcends materialism and possession of things and moves into a tangible cosmic dimension. Most of this longing is unconscious, but for spirits, conscious or unconscious doesn’t make any difference.” They respond to either.
As part of the ritual to merge the mountain and human energy, those who are receiving the “mountain energy” are sent to a mountain area of their choice, where they pick up a stone that calls to them. They bring that stone back for the rest of the ritual and then keep it as a companion; some even carry it around with them. “The presence of the stone does a lot in tuning the perceptive ability of the person,” notes Dr. Somé. “They receive all kinds of information that they can make use of, so it’s like they get some tangible guidance from the other world as to how to live their life.”
When it is the “river energy,” those being called go to the river and, after speaking to the river spirit, find a water stone to bring back for the same kind of ritual as with the mountain spirit.
“People think something extraordinary must be done in an extraordinary situation like this,” he says. That’s not usually the case. Sometimes it is as simple as carrying a stone.
A Sacred Ritual Approach to Mental Illness
One of the gifts a shaman can bring to the Western world is to help people rediscover ritual, which is so sadly lacking. “The abandonment of ritual can be devastating. From the spiritual view, ritual is inevitable and necessary if one is to live,” Dr. Somé writes in Ritual: Power, Healing, and Community. “To say that ritual is needed in the industrialized world is an understatement. We have seen in my own people that it is probably impossible to live a sane life without it.”
Dr. Somé did not feel that the rituals from his traditional village could simply be transferred to the West, so over his years of shamanic work here, he has designed rituals that meet the very different needs of this culture. Although the rituals change according to the individual or the group involved, he finds that there is a need for certain rituals in general.
One of these involves helping people discover that their distress is coming from the fact that they are “called by beings from the other world to cooperate with them in doing healing work.” Ritual allows them to move out of the distress and accept that calling.
Another ritual need relates to initiation. In indigenous cultures all over the world, young people are initiated into adulthood when they reach a certain age. The lack of such initiation in the West is part of the crisis that people are in here, says Dr. Somé. He urges communities to bring together “the creative juices of people who have had this kind of experience, in an attempt to come up with some kind of an alternative ritual that would at least begin to put a dent in this kind of crisis.”
Another ritual that repeatedly speaks to the needs of those coming to him for help entails making a bonfire, and then putting into the bonfire “items that are symbolic of issues carried inside the individuals . . . It might be the issues of anger and frustration against an ancestor who has left a legacy of murder and enslavement or anything, things that the descendant has to live with,” he explains. “If these are approached as things that are blocking the human imagination, the person’s life purpose, and even the person’s view of life as something that can improve, then it makes sense to begin thinking in terms of how to turn that blockage into a roadway that can lead to something more creative and more fulfilling.”

The example of issues with an ancestors touches on rituals designed by Dr. Somé that address a serious dysfunction in Western society and in the process “trigger enlightenment” in participants. These are ancestral rituals, and the dysfunction they are aimed at is the mass turning-of-the-back on ancestors. Some of the spirits trying to come through, as described earlier, may be “ancestors who want to merge with a descendant in an attempt to heal what they weren’t able to do while in their physical body.”
“Unless the relationship between the living and the dead is in balance, chaos ensues,” he says. “The Dagara believe that, if such an imbalance exists, it is the duty of the living to heal their ancestors. If these ancestors are not healed, their sick energy will haunt the souls and psyches of those who are responsible for helping them.” The rituals focus on healing the relationship with our ancestors, both specific issues of an individual ancestor and the larger cultural issues contained in our past. Dr. Somé has seen extraordinary healing occur at these rituals.

Taking a sacred ritual approach to mental illness rather than regarding the person as a pathological case gives the person affected–and indeed the community at large–the opportunity to begin looking at it from that vantage point too, which leads to “a whole plethora of opportunities and ritual initiative that can be very, very beneficial to everyone present,” states. Dr. Somé.
The Shamanic View of Mental Illness
by Stephanie Marohn (featuring Malidoma Patrice Somé)
(Excerpted from The Natural Medicine Guide to Schizophrenia,
pages 178-189, or The Natural Medicine Guide to Bi-polar Disorder)

@invsible

Science, Magic & Meaning: Deepak Chopra Interviews Rupert Sheldrake & Jill Purce

Screen-shot-2014-06-16-at-7.37.22-PM-728x400.png

Wild genius conversation is a rare thing these days. This fresh, psychedelically-shot new interview of (the recently ‘banned’ by TED) biologist and former Cambridge professor Rupert Sheldrake and author of Dogs Who Know When There Owners Are Coming Home, The Sense of Being Stared At, The Science Delusion, and 8 others books and 80 scientific papers, by Deepak Chopra is just that–a virtuoso romp through the cutting-edge of our understanding of consciousness.

Sit back and enjoy two men delighting in the sharing of ideas. Able to fluidly float through areas of mystery and unknown territory, they never fall into the reflexive pitfall of always needing to be the-man-with-all-the-answers that traps most authority figures in our culture.
In the first video, Rupert describes his educational beginnings and how he’s always seen the pervasiveness of consciousness throughout nature.

He explains the genesis of his theory of morphogenetic fields through his recognition that chemical reaction in plants is not enough to explain how the same cells produce their different parts, and suggests these fields as a kind of form memory in nature. To Rupert’s clear delight, Chopra then introduces a corresponding example from Vedanta. How refreshing it is to see two icons actually listening to each other. They place their views into each other’s models without ego getting in the way and their mutual enjoyment of the dialogue is palpable.

Science Beyond the Superstitions of Materialism

[video=youtube;l1CcOQnG0uM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l1CcOQnG0uM[/video]​

The second video begins with a cheesy joke at Richard Dawkins’ expense and then proceeds into a revelatory undermining of the view of human beings–and animals–as biological robots. Rupert points out the evidence of purposiveness and intention in animals and extends that demonstration into a meaning-filled view of the whole of existence.

“I’m taking the radical view that living organisms are living organisms–not machines. They’re just what most people would think they are . . . I think the whole universe is like an organism. It’s born small in the Big Bang, it’s like the hatching of the cosmic egg and after that it grows and as it grows new forms and structures appear within it, like a developing plant or animals. It’s not like any machine we know.”

This view highlights the deep hubris of our culture–we use human-made metaphors (robot, clock) to (mis-)understand the world around us. He goes on to recount how our mistaken view of the world as a random meaningless machine comes from a reverse engineering of the materialists, who started by looking at plants and animals as machine and were eventually forced to take the same view of people.

The error here is easy to see as machines have no purpose, but people, and all living things do have goals, desires and intentions. “And if the Universe isn’t a machine, it’s an organism then why shouldn’t the whole universe have a purpose? ”
The dialogue continues to be gripping as Deepak recounts his correspondence with renown physicist Freeman Dyson. It finally peaks in a discussion of creativity as “the ultimate mystery.”

Science Set Free

[video=youtube;3NTFo41zXKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3NTFo41zXKI[/video]​

A truly incredible journey into the power of the voice to enchant and transform is served up next in Deepak’s conversation with the formative Jill Purce. They discuss sound’s capacity to invoke healing and dissolve boundaries. Speaking literally on the out-of-tune nature of the Western harmonic system, Purce conjures images of that fact’s deeper symbolic truth.

The potency of this dialogue is difficult to sum up with the words; watch it for yourselves and see what I mean. The strength of tone she summons in her demonstration is impacting at first and then transforms into a tonal prism–it’s a sonic magic trick, yet healing too and hard to forget; sound is made to produce “an induction of order.”

The Healing Voice

[video=youtube;vZJWsub8tyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vZJWsub8tyU[/video]​

I invite you to a conversation bursting with life-filled, embodied intelligence. You will be moved.
You’ll feel smarter–and better connected to the world’s true wonder–after you watch it. Rupert Sheldrake and Jill Purce will be speaking together, along with (the also recently ‘banned’ by TED) Graham Hancock and others, at the
SYNCHRONICITY: Matter & Psyche Symposium in Joshua Tree, CA this September.

Personally the "rabbit hole" that I flinch from involves the idea of small particles of matter. I fear if I delve too deeply into the nature of energy that I will allow it to consume me.

I think a lot of the so-called unexplained (even scoffed at) phenomena attributed to non-Christian spirituality involves a lack of human understanding on the properties of energy and the forces at work when energy binds itself together. I think that mushrooms and other psychotropic drugs enable the mind to comprehend those ideas. The idea being that some of the concepts are too vast to comprehend and the drugs allow one to touch upon a higher conscious shared/created by the energy of all things. In some ways it is about expanding one's POV from the individual stance of "this is what I think is" more along the continuum of "this is"...a position that an individual conscious has trouble understanding or grasping.

The Revolutionary Quantum Computer That May Not Be Quantum at All

dwave-2.jpg

Google owns a lot of computers–perhaps a million servers stitched together into the fastest, most powerful artificial intelligence on the planet. But last August, Google teamed up with NASA to acquire what may be the search giant’s most powerful piece of hardware yet. It’s certainly the strangest.

Located at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, California, a couple of miles from the Googleplex, the machine is literally a black box, 10 feet high. It’s mostly a freezer, and it contains a single, remarkable computer chip–based not on the usual silicon but on tiny loops of niobium wire, cooled to a temperature 150 times colder than deep space. The name of the box, and also the company that built it, is written in big, science-fiction-y letters on one side: D-WAVE. Executives from the company that built it say that the black box is the world’s first practical quantum computer, a device that uses radical new physics to crunch numbers faster than any comparable machine on earth. If they’re right, it’s a profound breakthrough.
The question is: Are they?

Hartmut Neven, a computer scientist at Google, persuaded his bosses to go in with NASA on the D-Wave. His lab is now partly dedicated to pounding on the machine, throwing problems at it to see what it can do. An animated, academic-tongued German, Neven founded one of the first successful image-recognition firms; Google bought it in 2006 to do computer-vision work for projects ranging from Picasa to Google Glass.

He works on a category of computational problems called optimization–finding the solution to mathematical conundrums with lots of constraints, like the best path among many possible routes to a destination, the right place to drill for oil, and efficient moves for a manufacturing robot. Optimization is a key part of Google’s seemingly magical facility with data, and Neven says the techniques the company uses are starting to peak. “They’re about as fast as they’ll ever be,” he says.

That leaves Google–and all of computer science, really–just two choices: Build ever bigger, more power-hungry silicon-based computers. Or find a new way out, a radical new approach to computation that can do in an instant what all those other million traditional machines, working together, could never pull off, even if they worked for years.

That, Neven hopes, is a quantum computer.
A typical laptop and the hangars full of servers that power Google–what quantum scientists charmingly call “classical machines”–do math with “bits” that flip between 1 and 0, representing a single number in a calculation. But quantum computers use quantum bits, qubits, which can exist as 1s and 0s at the same time. They can operate as many numbers simultaneously. It’s a mind-bending, late-night-in-the-dorm-room concept that lets a quantum computer calculate at ridiculously fast speeds.

Unless it’s not a quantum computer at all. Quantum computing is so new and so weird that no one is entirely sure whether the D-Wave is a quantum computer or just a very quirky classical one. Not even the people who build it know exactly how it works and what it can do. That’s what Neven is trying to figure out, sitting in his lab, week in, week out, patiently learning to talk to the D-Wave. If he can figure out the puzzle–what this box can do that nothing else can, and how–then boom. “It’s what we call ‘quantum supremacy,’” he says. “Essentially, something that cannot be matched anymore by classical machines.” It would be, in short, a new computer age.

A former wrestler short-listed for Canada’s Olympic team, D-Wave founder Geordie Rose is barrel-chested and possessed of arms that look ready to pin skeptics to the ground. When I meet him at D-Wave’s headquarters in Burnaby, British Columbia, he wears a persistent, slight frown beneath bushy eyebrows. “We want to be the kind of company that Intel, Microsoft, Google are,” Rose says. “The big flagship $100 billion enterprises that spawn entirely new types of technology and ecosystems. And I think we’re close. What we’re trying to do is build the most kick-ass computers that have ever existed in the history of the world.”

The office is a bustle of activity; in the back rooms technicians peer into microscopes, looking for imperfections in the latest batch of quantum chips to come out of their fab lab. A pair of shoulder-high helium tanks stand next to three massive black metal cases, where more techs attempt to weave together their spilt guts of wires. Jeremy Hilton, D-Wave’s vice president of processor development, gestures to one of the cases. “They look nice, but appropriately for a startup, they’re all just inexpensive custom components. We buy that stuff and snap it together.” The really expensive work was figuring out how to build a quantum computer in the first place.

Like a lot of exciting ideas in physics, this one originates with Richard Feynman. In the 1980s, he suggested that quantum computing would allow for some radical new math. Up here in the macroscale universe, to our macroscale brains, matter looks pretty stable. But that’s because we can’t perceive the subatomic, quantum scale. Way down there, matter is much stranger. Photons–electromagnetic energy such as light and x-rays–can act like waves or like particles, depending on how you look at them, for example.

Or, even more weirdly, if you link the quantum properties of two subatomic particles, changing one changes the other in the exact same way. It’s called entanglement, and it works even if they’re miles apart, via an unknown mechanism that seems to move faster than the speed of light.

Knowing all this, Feynman suggested that if you could control the properties of subatomic particles, you could hold them in a state of superposition–being more than one thing at once. This would, he argued, allow for new forms of computation. In a classical computer, bits are actually electrical charge–on or off, 1 or 0. In a quantum computer, they could be both at the same time.

[video=youtube;CMdHDHEuOUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CMdHDHEuOUE[/video]​

It was just a thought experiment until 1994, when mathematician Peter Shor hit upon a killer app: a quantum algorithm that could find the prime factors of massive numbers. Cryptography, the science of making and breaking codes, relies on a quirk of math, which is that if you multiply two large prime numbers together, it’s devilishly hard to break the answer back down into its constituent parts.

You need huge amounts of processing power and lots of time. But if you had a quantum computer and Shor’s algorithm, you could cheat that math–and destroy all existing cryptography. “Suddenly,” says John Smolin, a quantum computer researcher at IBM, “everybody was into it.”

That includes Geordie Rose. A child of two academics, he grew up in the backwoods of Ontario and became fascinated by physics and artificial intelligence. While pursuing his doctorate at the University of British Columbia in 1999, he readExplorations in Quantum Computing, one of the first books to theorize how a quantum computer might work, written by NASA scientist–and former research assistant to Stephen Hawking–Colin Williams. (Williams now works at D-Wave.)

Reading the book, Rose had two epiphanies. First, he wasn’t going to make it in academia. “I never was able to find a place in science,” he says. But he felt he had the bullheaded tenacity, honed by years of wrestling, to be an entrepreneur. “I was good at putting together things that were really ambitious, without thinking they were impossible.” At a time when lots of smart people argued that quantum computers could never work, he fell in love with the idea of not only making one but selling it.

With about $100,000 in seed funding from an entrepreneurship professor, Rose and a group of university colleagues founded D-Wave. They aimed at an incubator model, setting out to find and invest in whoever was on track to make a practical, working device.

The problem: Nobody was close.

At the time, most scientists were pursuing a version of quantum computing called the gate model. In this architecture, you trap individual ions or photons to use as qubits and chain them together in logic gates like the ones in regular computer circuits–the ands, ors, nots, and so on that assemble into how a computer thinks. The difference, of course, is that the qubits could interact in much more complex ways, thanks to superposition, entanglement, and interference.
But qubits really don’t like to stay in a state of super*position, what’s called coherence.

A single molecule of air can knock a qubit out of coherence. The simple act of observing the quantum world collapses all of its every-number-at-once quantumness into stochastic, humdrum, non*quantum reality. So you have to shield qubits–from everything. Heat or other “noise,” in physics terms, screws up a quantum computer, rendering it useless.

You’re left with a gorgeous paradox: Even if you successfully run a calculation, you can’t easily find that out, because looking at it collapses your superpositioned quantum calculation to a single state, picked at random from all possible superpositions and thus likely totally wrong. You ask the computer for the answer and get garbage.

Lashed to these unforgiving physics, scientists had built systems with only two or three qubits at best. They were wickedly fast but too underpowered to solve any but the most prosaic, lab-scale problems. But Rose didn’t want just two or three qubits. He wanted 1,000. And he wanted a device he could sell, within 10 years. He needed a way to make qubits that weren’t so fragile.

“WHAT WE’RE TRYING TO DO IS BUILD THE MOST KICK-ASS COMPUTERS THAT HAVE EVER EXISTED IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.”

In 2003, he found one. Rose met Eric Ladizinsky, a tall, sporty scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab who was an expert in superconducting quantum interference devices, or Squids. When Ladizinsky supercooled teensy loops of niobium metal to near absolute zero, magnetic fields ran around the loops in two opposite directions at once. To a physicist, electricity and magnetism are the same thing, so Ladizinsky realized he was seeing superpositioning of electrons.

He also suspected these loops could become entangled, and that the charges could quantum-tunnel through the chip from one loop to another. In other words, he could use the niobium loops as qubits. (The field running in one direction would be a 1; the opposing field would be a 0.) The best part: The loops themselves were relatively big, a fraction of a millimeter. A regular microchip fab lab could build them.

The two men thought about using the niobium loops to make a gate-model computer, but they worried the gate model would be too susceptible to noise and timing errors. They had an alternative, though–an architecture that seemed easier to build. Called adiabatic annealing, it could perform only one specific computational trick: solving those rule-laden optimization problems.

It wouldn’t be a general-purpose computer, but optimization is enormously valuable. Anyone who uses machine learning–Google, Wall Street, medicine–does it all the time. It’s how you train an artificial intelligence to recognize patterns. It’s familiar. It’s hard. And, Rose realized, it would have an immediate market value if they could do it faster.

In a traditional computer, annealing works like this: You mathematically translate your problem into a landscape of peaks and valleys. The goal is to try to find the lowest valley, which represents the optimized state of the system. In this metaphor, the computer rolls a rock around the problem-*scape until it settles into the lowest-possible valley, and that’s your answer. But a conventional computer often gets stuck in a valley that isn’t really lowest at all.

The algorithm can’t see over the edge of the nearest mountain to know if there’s an even lower vale. A quantum annealer, Rose and Ladizinsky realized, could perform tricks that avoid this limitation. They could take a chip full of qubits and tune each one to a higher or lower energy state, turning the chip into a representation of the rocky landscape. But thanks to superposition and entanglement between the qubits, the chip could computationally tunnel through the landscape. It would be far less likely to get stuck in a valley that wasn’t the lowest, and it would find an answer far more quickly.

INSIDE THE BLACK BOX

The guts of a D-Wave don’t look like any other computer. Instead of metals etched into silicon, the central processor is made of loops of the metal niobium, surrounded by components designed to protect it from heat, vibration, and electromagnetic noise. Isolate those niobium loops well enough from the outside world and you get a quantum computer, thousands of times faster than the machine on your desk–or so the company claims. –Cameron Bird
ff_dwave-sb_f.jpg
gallery-illo@2x.png
Thomas Porostocky

A. Deep Freezer A massive refrigeration system uses liquid helium to cool the D-Wave chip to 20 millikelvin–or 150 times colder than interstellar space.

B. Heat Exhaust Gold-plated copper disks draw heat up and away from the chip to keep vibration and other energy from disturbing the quantum state of the processor.

C. Niobium Loops A grid of hundreds of tiny niobium loops serve as the quantum bits, or qubits, the heart of the processor. When cooled, they exhibit quantum-mechanical behavior.

D. Noise Shields The 190-plus wires that connect the components of the chip are wrapped in metal to shield against magnetic fields. Just one channel transmits information to the outside world–an optical fiber cable.

Better yet, Rose and Ladizinsky predicted that a quantum annealer wouldn’t be as fragile as a gate system. They wouldn’t need to precisely time the interactions of individual qubits. And they suspected their machine would work even if only someof the qubits were entangled or tunneling; those functioning qubits would still help solve the problem more quickly. And since the answer a quantum annealer kicks out is the lowest energy state, they also expected it would be more robust, more likely to survive the observation an operator has to make to get the answer out. “The adiabatic model is intrinsically just less corrupted by noise,” says Williams, the guy who wrote the book that got Rose started.

By 2003, that vision was attracting investment. Venture capitalist Steve Jurvetson wanted to get in on what he saw as the next big wave of computing that would propel machine intelligence everywhere–from search engines to self-driving cars. A smart Wall Street bank, Jurvetson says, could get a huge edge on its competition by being the first to use a quantum computer to create ever-smarter trading algorithms.

He imagines himself as a banker with a D-Wave machine: “A torrent of cash comes my way if I do this well,” he says. And for a bank, the $10 million cost of a computer is peanuts. “Oh, by the way, maybe I buy exclusive access to D-Wave. Maybe I buy all your capacity! That’s just, like, a no-brainer to me.” D-Wave pulled in $100 million from investors like Jeff Bezos and In-Q-Tel, the venture capital arm of the CIA.

The D-Wave team huddled in a rented lab at the University of British Columbia, trying to learn how to control those tiny loops of niobium. Soon they had a one-qubit system. “It was a crappy, duct-taped-together thing,” Rose says. “Then we had two qubits. And then four.” When their designs got more complicated, they moved to larger-scale industrial fabrication.

As I watch, Hilton pulls out one of the wafers just back from the fab facility. It’s a shiny black disc the size of a large dinner plate, inscribed with 130 copies of their latest 512-qubit chip. Peering in closely, I can just make out the chips, each about 3 millimeters square. The niobium wire for each qubit is only 2 microns wide, but it’s 700 microns long. If you squint very closely you can spot one: a piece of the quantum world, visible to the naked eye.

Hilton walks to one of the giant, refrigerated D-Wave black boxes and opens the door. Inside, an inverted pyramid of wire-bedecked, gold-plated copper discs hangs from the ceiling. This is the guts of the device. It looks like a steampunk chandelier, but as Hilton explains, the gold plating is key: It conducts heat–noise–up and out of the device. At the bottom of the chandelier, hanging at chest height, is what they call the coffee can, the enclosure for the chip. “This is where we go from our everyday world,” Hilton says, “to a unique place in the universe.”

By 2007, D-Wave had managed to produce a 16-qubit system, the first one complicated enough to run actual problems. They gave it three real-world challenges: solving a sudoku, sorting people at a dinner table, and matching a molecule to a set of molecules in a database. The problems wouldn’t challenge a decrepit Dell. But they were all about optimization, and the chip actually solved them.

“That was really the first time when I said, holy crap, you know, this thing’s actually doing what we designed it to do,” Rose says. “Back then we had no idea if it was going to work at all.” But 16 qubits wasn’t nearly enough to tackle a problem that would be of value to a paying customer. He kept pushing his team, producing up to three new designs a year, always aiming to cram more qubits together.

When the team gathers for lunch in D-Wave’s conference room, Rose jokes about his own reputation as a hard-driving taskmaster. Hilton is walking around showing off the 512-qubit chip that Google just bought, but Rose is demanding the 1,000-qubit one. “We’re never happy,” Rose says. “We always want something better.”

“Geordie always focuses on the trajectory,” Hilton says. “He always wants what’s next.”

In 2010, D-Wave’s first customers came calling. Lockheed Martin was wrestling with particularly tough optimization problems in their flight control systems. So a manager named Greg Tallant took a team to Burnaby. “We were intrigued with what we saw,” Tallant says. But they wanted proof. They gave D-Wave a test: Find the error in an algorithm. Within a few weeks, D-Wave developed a way to program its machine to find the error. Convinced, Lockheed Martin leased a $10 million, 128-qubit machine that would live at a USC lab.

The next clients were Google and NASA. Hartmut Neven was another old friend of Rose’s; they shared a fascination with machine intelligence, and Neven had long hoped to start a quantum lab at Google. NASA was intrigued, because it often faced wickedly hard best-fit problems. “We have the Curiosity rover on Mars, and if we want to move it from point A to point B there are a lot of possible routes–that’s a classic optimization problem,” says NASA’s Rupak Biswas.

But before Google executives would put down millions, they wanted to know the D-Wave worked. In the spring of 2013, Rose agreed to hire a third party to run a series of Neven-designed tests, pitting D-Wave against traditional optimizers running on regular computers. Catherine McGeoch, a computer scientist at Amherst College, agreed to run the tests, but only under the condition that she report her results publicly.

Rose quietly panicked. For all of his bluster–D-Wave routinely put out press releases boasting about its new devices–he wasn’t sure his black box would win the shoot-out. “One of the possible outcomes was that the thing would totally tank and suck,” Rose says. “And then she would publish all this stuff and it would be a horrible mess.”

IS THE D-WAVE ACTUALLY QUANTUM? IF NOISE IS DISENTANGLING THE QUBITS, IT’S JUST AN EXPENSIVE CLASSICAL COMPUTER.

McGeoch pitted the D-Wave against three pieces of off-the-shelf software. One was IBM’s CPLEX, a tool used by ConAgra, for instance, to crunch global market and weather data to find the optimum price at which to sell flour; the other two were well-known open source optimizers. McGeoch picked three mathematically chewy problems and ran them through the D-Wave and through an ordinary Lenovo desktop running the other software.

The results? D-Wave’s machine matched the competition–and in one case dramatically beat it. On two of the math problems, the D-Wave worked at the same pace as the classical solvers, hitting roughly the same accuracy. But on the hardest problem, it was much speedier, finding the answer in less than half a second, while CPLEX took half an hour.

The D-Wave was 3,600 times faster. For the first time, D-Wave had seemingly objective evidence that its machine worked quantum magic. Rose was relieved; he later hired McGeoch as his new head of benchmarking. Google and NASA got a machine. D-Wave was now the first quantum computer company with real, commercial sales.

That’s when its troubles began.

Quantum scientists had long been skeptical of D-Wave. Academics tend to get suspicious when the private sector claims massive leaps in scientific knowledge. They frown on “science by press release,” and Geordie Rose’s bombastic proclamations smelled wrong. Back then, D-Wave had published little about its system.

When Rose held a press conference in 2007 to show off the 16-bit system, MIT quantum scientist Scott Aaronson wrote that the computer was “about as useful for industrial optimization problems as a roast-beef sandwich.” Plus, scientists doubted D-Wave could have gotten so far ahead of the state of the art. The most qubits anyone had ever got working was eight. So for D-Wave to boast of a 500-qubit machine? Nonsense. “They never seemed properly concerned about the noise model,” as IBM’s Smolin says. “Pretty early on, people became dismissive of it and we all sort of moved on.”

That changed when Lockheed Martin and USC acquired their quantum machine in 2011. Scientists realized they could finally test this mysterious box and see whether it stood up to the hype. Within months of the D-Wave installation at USC, researchers worldwide came calling, asking to run tests.

The first question was simple: Was the D-Wave system actually quantum? It might be solving problems, but if noise was disentangling the qubits, it was just an expensive classical computer, operating adiabatically but not with quantum speed. Daniel Lidar, a quantum scientist at USC who’d advised Lockheed on its D-Wave deal, figured out a clever way to answer the question. He ran thousands of instances of a problem on the D-Wave and charted the machine’s “success probability”–how likely it was to get the problem right–against the number of times it tried.

The final curve was U-shaped. In other words, most of the time the machine either entirely succeeded or entirely failed. When he ran the same problems on a classical computer with an annealing optimizer, the pattern was different: The distribution clustered in the center, like a hill; this machine was sort of likely to get the problems right. Evidently, the D-Wave didn’t behave like an old-fashioned computer.

Lidar also ran the problems on a classical algorithm that simulated the way a quantum computer would solve a problem. The simulation wasn’t superfast, but it thought the same way a quantum computer did. And sure enough, it produced the U, like the D-Wave shape. At minimum the D-Wave acts more like a simulation of a quantum computer than like a conventional one.

Even Scott Aaronson was swayed. He told me the results were “reasonable evidence” of quantum behavior. If you look at the pattern of answers being produced, “then entanglement would be hard to avoid.” It’s the same message I heard from most scientists.
But to really be called a quantum computer, you also have to be, as Aaronson puts it, “productively quantum.” The behavior has to help things move faster. Quantum scientists pointed out that McGeoch hadn’t orchestrated a fair fight. D-Wave’s machine was a specialized device built to do optimizing problems. McGeoch had compared it to off-the-shelf software.
Matthias Troyer set out to even up the odds. A computer scientist at the Institute for Theoretical Physics in Zurich, Troyer tapped programming wiz Sergei Isakov to hot-rod a 20-year-old software optimizer designed for Cray supercomputers. Isakov spent a few weeks tuning it , and when it was ready, Troyer and Isakov’s team fed tens of thousands of problems into USC’s D-Wave and into their new and improved solver on an Intel desktop.

This time, the D-Wave wasn’t faster at all. In only one small subset of the problems did it race ahead of the conventional machine. Mostly, it only kept pace. “We find no evidence of quantum speedup,” Troyer’s paper soberly concluded. Rose had spent millions of dollars, but his machine couldn’t beat an Intel box.
What’s worse, as the problems got harder, the amount of time the D-Wave needed to solve them rose–at roughly the same rate as the old-school computers.

This, Troyer says, is particularly bad news. If the D-Wave really was harnessing quantum dynamics, you’d expect the opposite. As the problems get harder, it should pull away from the Intels. Troyer and his team concluded that D-Wave did in fact have some quantum behavior, but it wasn’t using it productively. Why? Possibly, Troyer and Lidar say, it doesn’t have enough “coherence time.” For some reason its qubits aren’t qubitting–the quantum state of the niobium loops isn’t sustained.

One way to fix this problem, if indeed it’s a problem, might be to have more qubits running error correction. Lidar suspects D-Wave would need another 100–maybe 1,000–qubits checking its operations (though the physics here are so weird and new, he’s not sure how error correction would work). “I think that almost everybody would agree that without error correction this plane is not going to take off,” Lidar says.

Rose’s response to the new tests: “It’s total bullshit.”

D-Wave, he says, is a scrappy startup pushing a radical new computer, crafted from nothing by a handful of folks in Canada. From this point of view, Troyer had the edge. Sure, he was using standard Intel machines and classical software, but those benefited from decades’ and trillions of dollars’ worth of investment. The D-Wave acquitted itself admirably just by keeping pace. Troyer “had the best algorithm ever developed by a team of the top scientists in the world, finely tuned to compete on what this processor does, running on the fastest processors that humans have ever been able to build,” Rose says. And the D-Wave “is now competitive with those things, which is a remarkable step.”

But what about the speed issues? “Calibration errors,” he says. Programming a problem into the D-Wave is a manual process, tuning each qubit to the right level on the problem-solving landscape. If you don’t set those dials precisely right, “you might be specifying the wrong problem on the chip,” Rose says. As for noise, he admits it’s still an issue, but the next chip–the 1,000-qubit version codenamed Washington, coming out this fall–will reduce noise yet more. His team plans to replace the niobium loops with aluminum to reduce oxide buildup. “I don’t care if you build [a traditional computer] the size of the moon with interconnection at the speed of light, running the best algorithm that Google has ever come up with.

It won’t matter, ’cause this thing will still kick your ass,” Rose says. Then he backs off a bit. “OK, everybody wants to get to that point–and Washington’s not gonna get us there. But Washington is a step in that direction.”

Or here’s another way to look at it, he tells me. Maybe the real problem with people trying to assess D-Wave is that they’re asking the wrong questions. Maybe his machine needs harder problems.

On its face, this sounds crazy. If plain old Intels are beating the D-Wave, why would the D-Wave win if the problems got tougher? Because the tests Troyer threw at the machine were random. On a tiny subset of those problems, the D-Wave system did better. Rose thinks the key will be zooming in on those success stories and figuring out what sets them apart–what advantage D-Wave had in those cases over the classical machine. In other words, he needs to figure out what sort of problems his machine is uniquely good at. Helmut Katzgraber, a quantum scientist at Texas A&M, cowrote a paper in April bolstering Rose’s point of view.

Katzgraber argued that the optimization problems everyone was tossing at the D-Wave were, indeed, too simple. The Intel machines could easily keep pace. If you think of the problem as a rugged surface and the solvers as trying to find the lowest spot, these problems “look like a bumpy golf course. What I’m proposing is something that looks like the Alps,” he says.

In one sense, this sounds like a classic case of moving the goalposts. D-Wave will just keep on redefining the problem until it wins. But D-Wave’s customers believe this is, in fact, what they need to do. They’re testing and retesting the machine to figure out what it’s good at. At Lockheed Martin, Greg Tallant has found that some problems run faster on the D-Wave and some don’t. At Google, Neven has run over 500,000 problems on his D-Wave and finds the same.

He’s used the D-Wave to train image-recognizing algorithms for mobile phones that are more efficient than any before. He produced a car-recognition algorithm better than anything he could do on a regular silicon machine. He’s also working on a way for Google Glass to detect when you’re winking (on purpose) and snap a picture. “When surgeons go into surgery they have many scalpels, a big one, a small one,” he says. “You have to think of quantum optimization as the sharp scalpel–the specific tool.”

The dream of quantum computing has always been shrouded in sci-fi hope and hoopla–with giddy predictions of busted crypto, multiverse calculations, and the entire world of computation turned upside down. But it may be that quantum computing arrives in a slower, sideways fashion: as a set of devices used rarely, in the odd places where the problems we have are spoken in their curious language.

Quantum computing won’t run on your phone–but maybe some quantum process of Google’s will be key in training the phone to recognize your vocal quirks and make voice recognition better. Maybe it’ll finally teach computers to recognize faces or luggage. Or maybe, like the integrated circuit before it, no one will figure out the best-use cases until they have hardware that works reliably. It’s a more modest way to look at this long-heralded thunderbolt of a technology.

But this may be how the quantum era begins: not with a bang, but a glimmer.

As regular readers of this site would know, I think the topic of end-of-life experiences (ELEs) deserves a lot more attention than it has so far received, as there is a plethora of fascinating reports out there that have largely been ignored (see for example my posts on both George Harrison's and Steve Job's passing).

I devoted a chapter to the topic in my own book on research into the afterlife question, but was recently happy to discover another new book out there that also discusses it in an intelligent manner: Opening Heaven's Door: Investigating Stories of Life, Death, and What Comes After, by award-winning writer/journalist Patrica Pearson:

What happens when we die? People have been guessing since humans first began to think. Spirituality and religion provided the answers in the past, but in the age of science we're thrown back into the dark. If science cannot 'prove' there is life - or something - after death, then it doesn't exist. And yet ordinary people continue to experience unexplained phenomena when a friend or family member dies. These are normal people, even sceptics like Patricia Pearson. Prompted by her family's surprising experiences around the deaths of her father and her sister, Pearson set out on an open-minded journey of inquiry as a journalist. She discovered that far more people were having uncanny and transcendent experiences than generally let on: roughly half the bereaved population, plus all those who observe the dying (nurses, hospice workers, soldiers, etc.). With many years of examination into current grief research under her belt, she concludes that we cannot simply deprive people the legitimacy of these experiences until there is more solid evidence that 'we inhabit a purely material and mechanistic universe'. Pearson points to new scientific explanations around how dying is experienced, giving these luminous moments credence and understanding. As she says, 'The dying may finally be able to convey to us what they are feeling, and where they glimpse themselves to be going.' Opening Heaven's Door recounts deeply affecting stories of messages from the dying and the dead in a fascinating work of investigative journalism, pointing to new scientific explanations that give these luminous moments the importance felt by those who experience them.

Pearson recently gave a wonderful radio interview exploring the topic, and how the modern world reacts to personal anecdotes about ELEs, which I highly recommend - you can listen to it here (I tried to embed it but unfortunately it autoplays).
For those with the vague feeling that you've heard Patricia Pearson's thoughts on this subject before, it might be because we posted a TEDx Talk she gave last year in which Pearson describes her own personal experience, and how it pushed her to research the topic in more depth - here's a repost of the video for those who don't have time to listen to the 53 minute radio interview above:

[video=youtube;eneB6u3kGu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eneB6u3kGu4[/video]​

Patricia Pearson's Opening Heaven's Door: Investigating Stories of Life, Death, and What Comes After is available from Amazon US and Amazon UK
(thanks to Kat for the heads-up)
Related:

Sooo awesome and beautiful!
360 degree time-lapse videos by photographer Vincent Brady.
He made them using a multiple camera 360-degree time-lapse panorama after years spent experimenting and customizing.

[video=youtube;azJaOQAGTJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=azJaOQAGTJo[/video]

And now for something different.... how about combining Meditation, Love, and Politics....

I have signed up to sit in meditation tonight on this Solstice - turn of the season for Earth - with 1000,s of others who plan to transmit the energy of Love to financial sectors around the globe. The organizers are beyond ecstasy with the amount of people who have signed up to do this act of love for our world. I believe you have posted research showing the synergy effects of groups of people meditating on common focus?
Let's see what happens with this one - shall we?
Oh...of course you're welcome to join me in this endeavor if you wish.

Isn't this just the coolest life ever?!?!?!?!?!
Namaste' :love:

ImageProxy.mvc

ImageProxy.mvc
* WE ARE ONE HEART PULSE OF TRANSFORMING ENERGY *

HAPPY SOLSTICE

We wanted to share the good news about the tremendous response from people around the world assisting in this pivotal transmission.

The Foundation has received nearly 9000 registrations and people are continuing to sign up. If you consider meditation research numbers, this is enough to sincerely light up this world with big time transforming change.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for such a great outpouring of your love and support. We are connected, meet you soon in our super charged matrix!!!

ImageProxy.mvc

THIS SOLSTICE SATURDAY
8 pm across all time zones

ImageProxy.mvc

THE NUMBER OF TRANSMITTERS AT EACH LOCATION...

538 The Vatican
403 London's Financial District
358U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
353Walton Enterprises - Wal-Mart Stores
342The NASDAQ Stock Market
322 International Monetary Fund
297World Bank
278Buenos Aires Financial District
265The Federal Reserve
254Club of Rome
245New York Stock Exchange
242The United Nations
239 NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization)
212 U.S. Department of the Treasury
212Bank of International Settlements (BIS)
211 Central American Bank Economic Integration
207 Exxon Mobil
197 Central Bank of Brazil
196 Goldman Sachs Group
185 N M Rothschild & Sons
184World Trade Organization
179BlackRock Inc.
175Citigroup Inc.
173The Pentagon
168 European Central Bank
159Wells Fargo
158Tokyo Stock Exchange
158Bank of America
154Australian Securities Exchange (ASX)
150JP Morgan Chase
144Royal Dutch Shell
135Intercontinental Exchange
134 India Ministry of Finance
127China's Financial District
121Business Roundtable
118Council on Foreign Relations
111Trilateral Commission
107Brazil's Financial District (Paulista Avenue)
93Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
90Chatham House - The Royal Institute for International Affairs
89 Saudi Aramco
75Central Bank of the Russian Federation
74Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation
70Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE)

[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]

Reactions: muir and Skarekrow