How would you act differently if you knew.... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How would you act differently if you knew....

Hmm, I would like to think that I wouldn't act differently..but I don't know. Believing in the afterlife gives me so much hope and solace in knowing I'll see my loved ones again, and that they are continually with me. I'm not sure how I would cope with the death of those I loved if I didn't believe I would see them again. I would like to be able to say that I wouldn't change a thing in how I act, but I think it would change me- and for the worse.

It's the assumption I already operate under, so little if any of my behavior would change.

At first I would be very sad, because I believe in afterlife and seeing all my dear ones. Dream would be live like every day is last... Enjoy every moment, because there wouldn't be anything, just black empty space. Nothing. ;_;

So I am an atheist who belives in the possibility of an after life I think primarily because my brain is unable to process ceasing to exist. Its a conflict sometimes.

I say this though to get a point across. If you KNEW beyond all doubt there really was nothing more, most of you say you would not act any differently. That is very hard for me to understand.

So I am an atheist who belives in the possibility of an after life I think primarily because my brain is unable to process ceasing to exist. Its a conflict sometimes.

I say this though to get a point across. If you KNEW beyond all doubt there really was nothing more, most of you say you would not act any differently. That is very hard for me to understand.

I dont really see that an afterlife per se would influence decisions making, its just a continuation of existence or consciousness. However an afterlife in which decisions you made make for the kind of existence you have, that's different.

Natural and logical consequences would influence decision making in any case, whether there is an afterlife or not, if there is an afterlife and it involves reward or punishment then it factors into that natural and logical consequences.

I wouldn't. There is no heaven, or no afterlife anyhow. Why would I change?

What about not yet existing? What about before you were born?

If an afterlife is necessary then it may follow that there's a beforelife as well. Before you came to be should be just as incomprehensible oblivion as after you leave, but people don't seem to have a problem with the former for some reason.

This is the meaning behind the probably fake quote attributed to Mark Twain: “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

You already know what it's like to cease to exist. It's the same as before you existed, but backwards.

What about not yet existing? What about before you were born?

If an afterlife is necessary then it may follow that there's a beforelife as well. Before you came to be should be just as incomprehensible oblivion as after you leave, but people don't seem to have a problem with the former for some reason.

This is the meaning behind the probably fake quote attributed to Mark Twain: “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

You already know what it's like to cease to exist. It's the same as before you existed, but backwards.

It depends on how you think about it. Just because you cant remember what you were doing before you were born doesn't mean you didnt exist. You are right of course but I can hold both ideas in my head. They do conflict though.

I take it you have not looked at my signature recently. :)

You could exist without consciousness without actually living, there's a lot of people who I actually suspect want to return to that state, its like the prebirth life of human beings in the womb and they do drunks, abuse alcohol etc. etc.

In terms of the thinking about God and the afterlife that actually happen I think the does/doesnt exist is pretty shallow or superficial, instead of considering the likelihood that God exists but is oblivious or a malign force or that there is an afterlife but it is an existence so different from this one as to be impossible to consider life in a conventional sense and is likely to be experienced as heaven or hell in accordance with whether or not the attachment to this life was complete and whether or not anyone experiencing its end was ready for it or fatally traumatised by it.

You could exist without consciousness without actually living, there's a lot of people who I actually suspect want to return to that state, its like the prebirth life of human beings in the womb and they do drunks, abuse alcohol etc. etc.

In terms of the thinking about God and the afterlife that actually happen I think the does/doesnt exist is pretty shallow or superficial, instead of considering the likelihood that God exists but is oblivious or a malign force or that there is an afterlife but it is an existence so different from this one as to be impossible to consider life in a conventional sense and is likely to be experienced as heaven or hell in accordance with whether or not the attachment to this life was complete and whether or not anyone experiencing its end was ready for it or fatally traumatised by it.
At least you think outside the box.

I would act the same because even if it is known fact there is no afterlife, what good is it getting all anxious about it and feeling you need to alter your behavior accordingly? If you want to get the most out of life or make yourself a better person etc., you should do it regardless of what happens after you die because it's not like we have a say in it anyways.

...Unless I'm totally wrong and when we die an angel or something comes and says: "Hi Horatio, sorry you're dead. You have three options to choose from: move onto another life and start over from the beginning - you would loose all your experience and memories; go to the afterlife and await final judgement; or watch Adam Sandler's entire filmography. You have one hour to choose."

little-nicky.jpg

It would be a special kind of Hell.

Im still finding it hard to believe most say they would not act differently. I wonder if it is because they have not really thought about it or believe foundationally it would be impossible to change anyway.
I would change my life, doing everything I could to find a way to live as long as possibe. Currently though I do not because I believe that in death, there are more answers to be had then can be answered here. But also that if there are not, there is absolute peace.

I would act the same because even if it is known fact there is no afterlife, what good is it getting all anxious about it and feeling you need to alter your behavior accordingly? If you want to get the most out of life or make yourself a better person etc., you should do it regardless of what happens after you die because it's not like we have a say in it anyways.

...Unless I'm totally wrong and when we die an angel or something comes and says: "Hi Horatio, sorry you're dead. You have three options to choose from: move onto another life and start over from the beginning - you would loose all your experience and memories; go to the afterlife and await final judgement; or watch Adam Sandler's entire filmography. You have one hour to choose."

little-nicky.jpg

It would be a special kind of Hell.

Little Nicky is a perfect example to comedians why they should not smoke pot. Things that seem very funny while stoned just dont transfer well to those who are not...

Reactions: Rcs6r
It depends on how you think about it. Just because you cant remember what you were doing before you were born doesn't mean you didnt exist. You are right of course but I can hold both ideas in my head. They do conflict though.

I take it you have not looked at my signature recently. :)

Oh but now you're really getting into the deep stuff. If your awareness is not you then what is? Your essence? What is that? What is it made of? In what manner does it exist?

You see, it is hard to maintain individuality without your awareness being present. It is like claiming your body as your own but not the carbon it is made of. What if your carbon structure was a tree a thousand years ago? Is that you? When did it become you - when the sperm touched the egg and the first cells divided? How about before then?

Im still finding it hard to believe most say they would not act differently. I wonder if it is because they have not really thought about it or believe foundationally it would be impossible to change anyway.

I think it's because the question aligns with their existing worldview. It's like asking a Chinese man "what would you do if you woke up tomorrow and discovered you were Chinese"?

He'd answer: "nuffring!"

As for myself, I believe (cautiously) in some sort of survivability of consciousness, but I'd still live my life the same way if it were proven that this doesn't occur.

Oh but now you're really getting into the deep stuff. If your awareness is not you then what is? Your essence? What is that? What is it made of? In what manner does it exist?

You see, it is hard to maintain individuality without your awareness being present. It is like claiming your body as your own but not the carbon it is made of. What if your carbon structure was a tree a thousand years ago? Is that you? When did it become you - when the sperm touched the egg and the first cells divided? How about before then?

Well if we assume "you" can only ever be definded by "matter" than that does rasie some irreconcilable differences in my mind. I however look at energy as being the foundational proponent of all things physical and non physical. Carbon is just one form energy takes...
I think of my soul, essence, consciousness. ..whatever you wish to call it as being bound and trapped by this physical body. Consider as a best example that I can currently come up with, a person controling a mars rover from many miles away. My body the rover, my mind existing in a completely different location. Not the best comparison but it will have to do.

Well if we assume "you" can only ever be definded by "matter" than that does rasie some irreconcilable differences in my mind. I however look at energy as being the foundational proponent of all things physical and non physical. Carbon is just one form energy takes...
I think of my soul, essence, consciousness. ..whatever you wish to call it as being bound and trapped by this physical body. Consider as a best example that I can currently come up with, a person controling a mars rover from many miles away. My body the rover, my mind existing in a completely different location. Not the best comparison but it will have to do.

Well my point wasn't to define you as matter. The point was to ask - if you're not matter, and you're not awareness, then what is left that matters?

Well my point wasn't to define you as matter. The point was to ask - if you're not matter, and you're not awareness, then what is left that matters?

I clearly cant answer that. Perhaps because words cant describe it or I lack the thought process with which to do so.

I full admit that it doesnt make sense to have a consciousness separate from the physical realm. My mind functions because neurons move here and there. Without matter in place to at least partially control how those neurons move...what am I?

Its highly likely I believe in consciousness separate from the physical because I both need and want to.

I clearly cant answer that. Perhaps because words cant describe it or I lack the thought process with which to do so.

I full admit that it doesnt make sense to have a consciousness separate from the physical realm. My mind functions because neurons move here and there. Without matter in place to at least partially control how those neurons move...what am I?

Its highly likely I believe in consciousness separate from the physical because I both need and want to.

I believe in out of body co consciousness as well. But co consciousness is not me. It's also not not me.

How would you act differently in this life if you knew this life was the only thing there was for you? That when you die, thats it nothing more?

I think most people operate under this notion. IE that there is nothing more.

I think for most people, a lot of their actions are influenced by the law, their
environment, their friends, etc... As individuals our actions are influenced by
society. Nobody acts solely without thinking of the consequences all of the time.
We have to be mindful of the law whether or not we are reborn or only have the
one shot at life.

Why do you think people would act differently than they already do? I am really curious about this.
I am eager to understand where this question and thread is stemming from.