Which Flash Drive Would You Buy?

Which one of these?

• 256GB, 90% of the speed of the fastest, $35 USD

• 1TB, the fastest available, $70 USD (normally $130)

Results are only viewable after voting.

aeon

Amoureux des Chatons
Staff member
Administrator
MBTI
ENFP
Enneagram
947 sx/sp
So I was looking for a fast flash drive and a couple of options were available. Which do you think you would choose?

Which one is longer lasting, less prone to breaking etc. Go with that.
Otherwise 1TB is a no brainer.

Which one is longer lasting, less prone to breaking etc. Go with that.
Otherwise 1TB is a no brainer.
Let us assume they are equally well-built and longevity for read-write cycles is the same.

Cheers,
Ian

Depends what it’s needed for. Why pay extra if you don’t need the extra capacity or a slight improvement in speed? Or you could buy two of the cheaper ones for the price of the dearer, which gives you some redundancy against accidental loss or damage if you needed it.

I’ve never needed more than 64 GB in my camera for still photography for example, but I need several TB to hold my photo archive, though the archive doesn’t need exceptionally high speed retrieval.

Now video capture and playback would be another matter entirely, as would other real time high bandwidth data capture and retrieval. An other example from the SSD world would be a sophisticated cache / buffer disk in a multi user NAS? The higher capacity and extra speed would then make the 1 TB drive look like a bargain.

For low cost anything goes but for raw capacity one can diy a 4TB for around $200 give or take. Personally I go for large capacity for long term use as higher capacity drive have much better write endurance and less likely to go bad from normal use.

Back