I'm a Personist.

Is this about completely dismissing stereotypes, or about not locking into stereotypes but still using them just as much as anyone else? Like, would a personist feel threathened if he saw a shark swimming near him, even though the shark had yet to actually show any interest in him (ideally)?

Seeing as a shark isn't a person, this analogy isn't especially valid.

Being a personist means that people can fit stereotypes just as easily as not. Both are possible and both are valid. Most importantly, both are subjective to the individual person in question.

Trying to resist...trying...
Okay, Failed.

I am a whateverist. *breathes sigh of relief*

I like the concept presented here but @corndogman; cracked me up too.

For a youngin, @Artsu Tharaz; makes so much sense. Now we just need @Flavus Aquila; to weigh in with his logical wisdom and this thread will be complete!

Last edited:
Seeing as a shark isn't a person, this analogy isn't especially valid.

Being a personist means that people can fit stereotypes just as easily as not. Both are possible and both are valid. Most importantly, both are subjective to the individual person in question.

Is it contradictory for one personist to categorise another personist as a personist?

The essence of personism, seems to be the refusal to use mental categories in respect of persons. This implies that mental categories are not for the assistance of our understanding, but rather are deterimental to our understanding.

It would seem that mental categories are useful for understanding, because the ability to distinguish between diverse things seems a prerequisite for any understanding whatsoever.

Categorising persons. I propose that categorising people into preconceived definite categories is simply an unrefined mental process.

Attributing categoricals to persons. A more developed mental process would seem to be the process of applying preconceived mental categories to persons - this process could be termed "identifying attributes" - or more litterally - attributing certain qualities to certain persons.

Distinguishing attributes. A further refinement would be the distinction (across a continuous spectrum) between essential attributes and uncharacteristic attributes - so that shyness in some people may be said to be virtually essential to their personality - with occasional exceptions; whereas attention seeking may be said to be uncharacteristic of that person.

Is this about completely dismissing stereotypes, or about not locking into stereotypes but still using them just as much as anyone else? Like, would a personist feel threathened if he saw a shark swimming near him, even though the shark had yet to actually show any interest in him (ideally)?

A distinction between judgment of Object and judgment of Subject needs to be made. Objective judgments are scientific and causal, and basically ignore that any Subjective aspect of Being exists. When we predict that by throwing something in the air that it will come down, or that X chemical + Y chemical = Z chemical, or less certain predictions like "this animal is dangerous", through even to "this human is dangerous" we are making an Objective judgment, cause and effect. This in itself is fine.

The problem is when you treat a person as though the Subjective aspect of them did not exist, or that their Subject could also be treated in a cause and effect manner. In this way we treat a person not as a person, but as an Object. Human behaviour is predictable, sure, but when we assume that this predictability is a result of the essence of the person, we err, and err in a morally damaging way.

You do raise an interesting point of how this applies to animals. Now, for the Objective view to wholly be valid in judging a case, the Subjective causes must be zero, and as Objective causes are by nature deterministic causal relations, Subjective causes must be due to something else. In particular, they are due to (Free) Will - so the question reduces to whether animals have (Free) Will.

Subjective effects, however, must always be considered. Thus, even one who denies the aspect of (Free) Will of animals must still take into account the emotional state an action imposes on the animal. Thus, to cause unneeded pain is nonetheless an immoral act.

That's a very taoist way of thinking. A very healthy one, too. Think, if we truly start taking everyone for just who they are how many tensions will fall and give ways to harmony. But it's an idealistic thinking, we can try to be this way and I hope we succeed enough but to make our minds to become so truly open... well not sure if that's possible.

Reactions: VH
I had no idea though that personism would counted as a religion. What you stated in the OP sounds like how I like to work with people as a Christian (with the exception of complementarianism - accepting differences while giving equal respect). It sounds like common sense thinking and etiquette.

I had no idea though that personism would counted as a religion. What you stated in the OP sounds like how I like to work with people as a Christian (with the exception of complementarianism - accepting differences while giving equal respect). It sounds like common sense thinking and etiquette.

It is the "love thy neighbour" aspect of Christianity. "Personism" as it has here been stated is not a religion, for
religion entails aspects which cannot be contained in such a concept.

Also, interesting that there is actually a term for complementarianism. I assumed the concept to be self-evident,
though I've found that it is a less common view than I would have initially assumed.

Sure I'm a Personist, unless this person is a cannibal who intends on eating me. Then, screw that. All bets are off.

Eh, it is what it is. o_o; If they're good they're good, if they're bad they're bad. People can be good and bad at the same time. Sorry.

I don't think I can fit this entirely, but this type of belief shows how much prejudice and stereotyping had prevailed, and in that aspect, my own probably is, and it's a nice reminder to -see- in entirety, not just aspects, and definitely not clouded by some preconception.

True, not every person acts because of ideological issues, some people just act very randomly and seeing it meaningful is just a fail.

Okay. If that's what "personist" is..

Can someone explain to me what the difference between being "accepting" and being "tolerant"?

and how do they fit with the notion that's being explained in this thread?

Can someone explain to me what the difference between being "accepting" and being "tolerant"?

Being tolerant is being polite toward and putting up with what you don't accept.

and how do they fit with the notion that's being explained in this thread?

In order to be a personist, you have to accept that sometimes you (and everyone else) can only be tolerant.

I've decided I'm a Personist.

Am qua am?
Could you re-state your assertion in English Prime?

People are people.

And a tautology IS a tautology.
And tornadoes ARE tornadoes.
And Et cetera ARE Et cetera.

Trying to apply any form of centric thinking to other people is always going to fail in the long run, since everyone is different.

Life itself fails in the long run, doesn't it?
That I'm aware of my mortality entails living as an act of procrastination ... putting of the inevitable.

Being a Personist means that you accept people for who they are, regardless of what that is, and don't need them to fit into any boxes - even though most people do (which is also their right as people to be whoever they want).

And `who they are', in E-Prime, IS determined or assessed ... how, precisely?

I certainly agree that mentally placing them into boxes, pigeon holes, or categories for categorical discrimination tends to promote categorical discrimination while offering precious little value in predicting their exact behaviors/acts/deeds.
Seems to me that `identity' and `identification' ... by name, title, job, etc ... result in the same sort of boxing and pigon-holing.
Personally, I'm ready to a return to behaviorism so that persons ARE as they function, act, perform, behave.

Being tolerant is being polite toward and putting up with what you don't accept.

As opposed to `being' authentic so OTHERS can accurately KNOW what you don't accept while you're mental masurbating that you're being qua BEING `tolerant' while perhaps co-dependently enabling unacceptable behavior?

As a child I was tasked by my mother to `be' both honest and polite.
She would have been kinder to place me a round room and insist that I sit in the corner.

To whatever extent that NFs are on a life-long quest for both authenticity and identity this two-faced acting-polite-while-not-accepting must surely qualify as a core issue

Back