British students “travelled” to the Hereafter
afterlife.jpg
A group of British students from a local technical university developed a computer program that allows human consciousness to visit the hereafter. In an interview, one of the creators of such unusual software shared fundamental mechanisms of its work. It turned out that for a few months the students have been conducting research in a British hospice.

People condemned to death were implanted with a special detector sensitive to the brain activity impulses, which, in their turn, were transmitted to a computer, and a specially developed program analyzed the received information. In the most tragic moment when a person died, the computer received the main signal. On the basis of a number of such signals, the program created an entire virtual image of how the brain behaves in the first minutes after the biological death of the human body. In most cases, the brain activity behaved like if it was following the same scenario.

The program gave out roughly the same operating parameters of the cerebral cortex in both men and women. With the help of a special impulse encoder, signals were transmitted not only in the computer memory for analysis, but also in a special system of electromagnetic clusters. Such clusters could remain stable for a sufficiently long period of time. Moreover, the young people decided to experience on their own what a person feels in the first moments after death. This experiment was so dangerous that it could be conducted only by truly courageous people.

Because, after receiving cluster signals, the living brain could easily stop working, “thinking” that nature gives it the signal to do so. In order to avoid the fatal outcome, the students used a program to block clusters obtained from deceased people. A daredevil, decided to try out the system, was found. For 48 seconds his brain was being subjected to pulse attack, and then moved into a phase of cell death. The experiment had to stop to save the student’s life. When he “came back” from the afterlife, he said that all the time he could see unfamiliar images, bright flashes and an odd glow and hear strange voices come and fade away again. At the last stage he saw a bright light that led him back to the ordinary world.

"Vae, puto deus fio."
988439_10203414675188229_3212246600314892204_n.jpg

British students “travelled” to the Hereafter
afterlife.jpg
A group of British students from a local technical university developed a computer program that allows human consciousness to visit the hereafter. In an interview, one of the creators of such unusual software shared fundamental mechanisms of its work. It turned out that for a few months the students have been conducting research in a British hospice.

People condemned to death were implanted with a special detector sensitive to the brain activity impulses, which, in their turn, were transmitted to a computer, and a specially developed program analyzed the received information. In the most tragic moment when a person died, the computer received the main signal. On the basis of a number of such signals, the program created an entire virtual image of how the brain behaves in the first minutes after the biological death of the human body. In most cases, the brain activity behaved like if it was following the same scenario.

The program gave out roughly the same operating parameters of the cerebral cortex in both men and women. With the help of a special impulse encoder, signals were transmitted not only in the computer memory for analysis, but also in a special system of electromagnetic clusters. Such clusters could remain stable for a sufficiently long period of time. Moreover, the young people decided to experience on their own what a person feels in the first moments after death. This experiment was so dangerous that it could be conducted only by truly courageous people.

Because, after receiving cluster signals, the living brain could easily stop working, “thinking” that nature gives it the signal to do so. In order to avoid the fatal outcome, the students used a program to block clusters obtained from deceased people. A daredevil, decided to try out the system, was found. For 48 seconds his brain was being subjected to pulse attack, and then moved into a phase of cell death. The experiment had to stop to save the student’s life. When he “came back” from the afterlife, he said that all the time he could see unfamiliar images, bright flashes and an odd glow and hear strange voices come and fade away again. At the last stage he saw a bright light that led him back to the ordinary world.

I wonder if we will ever have technology assisted access to other dimensional phenomena.

It would make sense if 'paranormal' is really natural but just beyond our capabilities but the mechanism could somehow be harnessed through physics, allowing us to build devices to become transhuman or metahuman. Just how nobody would consider being able to fly on their own but people have no problem with taking an airplane.

Like how they made Psychoscience in Orion, where some people had for example a voice manipulator implanted in them to allow them to quickly recite incantations well beyond normal human speed and accuracy, allowing them to quickly summon various Shinto, Buddhist and Hindu deities into material form.

Two New Video Talks on Noetic Sciences
by
Cassandra Vieten, PhD

I'm delighted to let you know that two TEDx talks I gave last year have both just been released on video. It was an honor to have these opportunities to represent IONS and to share information about Noetic Sciences.

In December I spoke at TEDx Napa Valley at the beautiful Napa Valley Opera House. The theme of the day was "Connected," and there were many wonderful presenters. My 20-minute talk was on "The Science of Interconnectedness." I began with an overview of how interconnectedness has inspired people in important ways throughout history. Then I shared some of what modern science is telling us about interconnectedness, and I ended with a discussion of the work that we're engaged in at IONS exploring interconnection in ways that go beyond the traditionally understood five senses. The results we've seen are intriguing and, while there is much more to be studied and understood, what we've learned so far could have implications for how we live our lives today.

Earlier in the year I gave another TEDx talk at Black Rock City in the Nevada Desert for Burning Man 2012, where I was working with colleagues on an experiment in collective consciousness. In addition to talking about the experiment we were doing, I also shared the value of Noetic Sciences and why I disagree with critiques of Noetic Sciences that we often encounter. A video of this talk is available online, along with a more detailed follow-up phone interview that I did with one of the TEDx producers.

These kinds of presentations introduce Noetic Sciences to thousands of people who may not be familiar with our work. I hope you enjoy these talks as much as I enjoyed giving them!

[video=youtube_share;NOVMb5t3HyQ]http://youtu.be/NOVMb5t3HyQ[/video]
[video=youtube;FoCABSb9KP0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FoCABSb9KP0[/video]

Cassandra Vieten, PhD, is a licensed clinical psychologist, Director of Research at the Institute of Noetic Sciences, co-director of the Mind-Body Medicine Research Group at California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, and co-president of the Institute for Spirituality and Psychology.

Funded by the National Institutes of Health, the State of California, and several private donors and foundations, her research has focused on spirituality and health; development and pilot testing of mindfulness-based approaches to cultivating emotional balance (primarily in the areas of addiction and pregnancy/postpartum well-being); and factors, experiences, and practices involved in psychospiritual transformation to a more meaningful, compassionate, and service-oriented way of life. Her primary interest lies in how psychology, biology, and spirituality interact to affect experience and behavior.

She completed her pre- and post-doctoral research training at The University of California, San Francisco, working primarily on the biological and psychological underpinnings of addiction and alcoholism. She received her PhD in clinical psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies, where her clinical training focused on the integration of Eastern philosophy and spirituality into psychotherapy. She has authored books, chapters, and academic articles, as well as presenting at numerous international scientific conferences, trainings for colleagues and students, and workshops and events for the lay public.

She is a Huffington Post and Psychology Today blogger, co-author of Living Deeply: The Art and Science of Transformation in Everyday Life (New Harbinger/Noetic Books 2008), and author of Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child’s First Year (New Harbinger/Noetic Books 2009).

I wonder if we will ever have technology assisted access to other dimensional phenomena.

It would make sense if 'paranormal' is really natural but just beyond our capabilities but the mechanism could somehow be harnessed through physics, allowing us to build devices to become transhuman or metahuman. Just how nobody would consider being able to fly on their own but people have no problem with taking an airplane.

Like how they made Psychoscience in Orion, where some people had for example a voice manipulator implanted in them to allow them to quickly recite incantations well beyond normal human speed and accuracy, allowing them to quickly summon various Shinto, Buddhist and Hindu deities into material form.
I hope to see it in my lifetime...I hope.
If you look at science in the last 100 years, we have made incredible leaps and bounds...especially in the field of quantum physic/mechanics.
*fingers crossed* lol

Sea of Faith BBC Documentary excerpt on Carl Jung...enjoy.
[video=youtube_share;EcthKnvY2hE]http://youtu.be/EcthKnvY2hE[/video]

[h=1]The World Within - C.G. Jung in His Own Words[/h]A 1990 Documentary about Carl Gustav Jung that explains his standpoints mainly by using footage of him talking.
[video=youtube_share;O67a8_XXqK4]http://youtu.be/O67a8_XXqK4[/video]

[h=1]Is this just the natural evolution of science in society? Or is it proof of a collective consciousness?

Multiple discovery[/h]
The concept of multiple discovery is the hypothesis that most scientific discoveries and inventions are made independently and more or less simultaneously by multiple scientists and inventors.
Historians and sociologists have remarked on the occurrence, in science, of "multiple independent discovery". Robert K. Merton defined such "multiples" as instances in which similar discoveries are made by scientists working independently of each other. "Sometimes the discoveries are simultaneous or almost so; sometimes a scientist will make a new discovery which, unknown to him, somebody else has made years before.
[h=2]Pre-13th century[edit][/h]
  • Greenland was first discovered by early Paleo-Eskimo cultures. In several immigration waves originating from the islands north of the North American mainland, they started settlement circa 2500 BCE. In the early 10th century CE, i.e. more than three millennia later, Greenland was rediscovered by Norse when Gunnbjörn Ulfsson accidentally sighted islands lying close off the coast of Greenland. Based on his report, there was an unsuccessful settlement led by Snaebjörn Galti around 978 and a successful settlement led by Erik the Red (first visit in 982). The Norse settlement disappeared in the 14th and 15th centuries.
[h=2]13th century[edit][/h]
[h=2]14th century[edit][/h]
[h=2]16th century[edit][/h]
[h=2]17th century[edit][/h]
[h=2]18th century[edit][/h]
[h=2]19th century[edit][/h]
[h=2]20th century[edit][/h]

I normally abhor what I feel is "spiritual garbage" these days (sorry to those I spoke about it with in the past), but I feel now and again, and usually with increasing strength each time, that we are all moving towards the same fate.

Much much younger, I remember researching drugs (remember no internet back then) to try and gain an understanding of the effect they had on people. Psychedelics were said to leave people “insane” depending on the quantity and amount a person did along with time frame with variances in these criteria effecting people differently. Not to mention the person themselves.
Today I wonder if you can say someone is insane after their mind has been opened and they no longer see the world as most do. In my mind grasping quantum physics has the same effect. I question whether the people who refuse to contemplate its implication are not the ones who are truly living in a fantasy world.

I normally abhor what I feel is "spiritual garbage" these days (sorry to those I spoke about it with in the past), but I feel now and again, and usually with increasing strength each time, that we are all moving towards the same fate.
Define “spiritual garbage”? Please speak your mind....you won’t offend me...we each have our own belief systems...I don’t think anyone has it right enough to claim superiority over the next guy/gal.
I DO agree with there being “spiritual garbage” out there...in my definition it is any religious or spiritual path that creates strife, segregates people instead of bringing them together, gives someone a sense of moral superiority, justifies hating or looking down on others in the guise of commandments or teachings.
We are all moving toward the same fate of death....lol (obviously...duh)...no matter your beliefs, we will be dead soon than we think we will....hell, it feels like I just graduated HS a couple of years ago and next year is my 20 year reunion (not that you’ll catch me within 1000 miles of that place...ugh).
There are some things on this thread that I would classify as close to "garbage-like"....lol....some of the more out there thoughts and ideas...but I try to be inclusive of even some wacky things...you never know...I’m sure the world being round was a cuckoo-bananas insane idea at one time....lol.

Much much younger, I remember researching drugs (remember no internet back then) to try and gain an understanding of the effect they had on people. Psychedelics were said to leave people “insane” depending on the quantity and amount a person did along with time frame with variances in these criteria effecting people differently. Not to mention the person themselves.
Today I wonder if you can say someone is insane after their mind has been opened and they no longer see the world as most do. In my mind grasping quantum physics has the same effect. I question whether the people who refuse to contemplate its implication are not the ones who are truly living in a fantasy world.

You aren’t that much older than me that I can’t relate to growing up in the “just say NO” 80’s era....we were told that there were NO benefits to drugs whatsoever....we were told we would go insane, this and that....I can look back now and see what bullshit it was...not all of it....and I understand the reasoning behind scaring us to try and prevent us from trying it. But, we were still deceived...there are beneficial aspects of even the most illegal of drugs....magic mushrooms for cluster migraines and debilitating anxiety, MDMA or ecstasy has actually been shown in studies to prevent divorce believe it or not....I can expand on that if you like, Weed has many many uses, and it seems they find more each day....even methamphetamine has it’s uses for ADHD.
Sanity would be defined as not thinking in the same way as the majority consensus of society...so if your mind has indeed been expanded....then by all definitions you would be “insane”.

Last edited:
You aren’t that much older than me that I can’t relate to growing up in the “just say NO” 80’s era....we were told that there were NO benefits to drugs whatsoever....we were told we would go insane, this and that....I can look back now and see what bullshit it was...not all of it....and I understand the reasoning behind scaring us to try and prevent us from trying it. But, we were still deceived...there are beneficial aspects of even the most illegal of drugs....magic mushrooms for cluster migraines and debilitating anxiety, MDMA or ecstasy has actually been shown in studies to prevent divorce believe it or not....I can expand on that if you like, Weed has many many uses, and it seems they find more each day....even methamphetamine has it’s uses for ADHD.
Sanity would be defined as not thinking in the same way as the majority consensus of society...so if your mind has indeed been expanded....then by all definitions you would be “insane”.

Fair enough. I am these days of the mindset that anything that changes brain chemistry, messes with the brains normal function etc is not a good thing. At least for me, everyone has the right to make their own choices on the subject. And, I know it can be argued that the food you eat affects your brain as well so where does it stop.

What I know is that no matter what I do here, one day I will no longer be here. I am making my best attempt to live naturally. However thats kind of a joke because these days its impossible. Its possible to expand the mind without adding physical things to it. While the drugs you mentioned can undoubtedly be measured to have positive effects, given their nature and the complexity of the human brain, can you say with assured confidence they do not also have unforeseen negative affects as well?

Fair enough. I am these days of the mindset that anything that changes brain chemistry, messes with the brains normal function etc is not a good thing. At least for me, everyone has the right to make their own choices on the subject. And, I know it can be argued that the food you eat affects your brain as well so where does it stop.

What I know is that no matter what I do here, one day I will no longer be here. I am making my best attempt to live naturally. However thats kind of a joke because these days its impossible. Its possible to expand the mind without adding physical things to it. While the drugs you mentioned can undoubtedly be measured to have positive effects, given their nature and the complexity of the human brain, can you say with assured confidence they do not also have unforeseen negative affects as well?

No....perhaps they do have unintended negative consequences....but maybe our cell-phones pressed to our heads do too....*shrug*....like you said, where does it end?
Our air, water, food, vaccines, radio-waves, magnetic fields, radon, radiation, medications, masturbations (oh wait....)....who knows how all those things effect us.
I wrote a paper in college about the possible connection of endorphins in the mind and “enlightenment” through meditation.
We know that things like meditation, sex, running, etc. gives us a boost of endorphins (one of our pleasure chemicals in the mind)...so my thought was that maybe those meditating all day, every day, were NOT indeed reaching “enlightenment” but instead have steadily built up the endorphin levels in their mind that they go on a “trip”.
I am not out there just experimenting with drugs, nor have I ever done that....I would like to try mushrooms one day however.
Many, many cultures and ancients from around the world have used psychedelics to “expand consciousness”...it is not a new concept...I believe that we have lost some of the ancient knowledge that mankind once held dear....like our respect for nature.
http://animalnewyork.com/2012/12-drugs-from-ancient-cultures-and-where-to-get-them/

No....perhaps they do have unintended negative consequences....but maybe our cell-phones pressed to our heads do too....*shrug*....like you said, where does it end?
Our air, water, food, vaccines, radio-waves, magnetic fields, radon, radiation, medications, masturbations (oh wait....)....who knows how all those things effect us.
I wrote a paper in college about the possible connection of endorphins in the mind and “enlightenment” through meditation.
We know that things like meditation, sex, running, etc. gives us a boost of endorphins (one of our pleasure chemicals in the mind)...so my thought was that maybe those meditating all day, every day, were NOT indeed reaching “enlightenment” but instead have steadily built up the endorphin levels in their mind that they go on a “trip”.
I am not out there just experimenting with drugs, nor have I ever done that....I would like to try mushrooms one day however.
Many, many cultures and ancients from around the world have used psychedelics to “expand consciousness”...it is not a new concept...I believe that we have lost some of the ancient knowledge that mankind once held dear....like our respect for nature.
http://animalnewyork.com/2012/12-drugs-from-ancient-cultures-and-where-to-get-them/

I understand. Its a personal choice. I think though its a serious choice that should be given more thought than I did at the age I did. Only my opinion though.

Oh and that, I honestly believe very few people give it nearly as much thought as I did to begin with.

I understand. Its a personal choice. I think though its a serious choice that should be given more thought than I did at the age I did. Only my opinion though.

Oh and that, I honestly believe very few people give it nearly as much thought as I did to begin with.
I agree....most kids just take it to get fucked up....not to have a mind-expanding experience....they could care less about what it does to their mind....it’s just a fun party drug to them.

Seeing the Future

Exploring Presentiment with Eye Gaze and Pupillary and Eye Dilation

Principal Investigator Dean Radin, PhDCo-Investigator Ana Borges

A great deal of human activity is involved in anticipating the future, from predicting the next influenza strain to the expectations that underlie the placebo effect. Most models of anticipation take for granted that events unfold in a unidirectional flow of time, from past to future. Two experiments were conducted to test this assumption.

Design:
Pupillary dilation, spontaneous blinking, and eye movements were tracked before, during, and after participants viewed photographs with varying degrees of emotional affect. Photos were selected uniformly at random with replacement. Experiment one used 592 photos from the International Affective Picture System; experiment two used a custom-designed pool of 500 photos. Eye data before exposure to the photos were compared by using nonparametric techniques.

Outcome Measures:
Eye data were predicted to show larger anticipatory responses before randomly selected emotional photos than before calm photos, under conditions that excluded sensory cues, statistical cues, and other conventional means of inferring the future.

Results:
Data contributed by 74 unselected volunteers in two experiments showed that: (a) pupillary dilation and spontaneous blinking were found to increase more before emotional versus calm photos (combined P < .00009), (b) horizontal eye movements indicated a brain hemisphere asymmetry before viewing photos, appropriate to both the emotionality (P < .05) and the valence of the future images (P < .01), (c) participants selected for independently obtaining significant differential effects in pupillary dilation showed positive correlations between their eye movements before versus during exposure to randomly selected photos (P < .002), and (d) a possible “transtemporal interference” effect was observed when the probability of observing future images was varied (P < .05 [two-tailed]). Gender splits on these tests showed that overall females tended to perform better than males.

Conclusions:
These studies, which replicate conceptual similar experiments, suggest that sometimes seers do see the future. This implies that developing comprehensive models of anticipatory behavior, from understanding the nature of intuition to the placebo effect, may require consideration of transtemporal and teleological factors.

Feeling Psychic: How Emotion May Shape Anomalous Experience

by Michael A. Jawer

I once spoke with a woman — a travel writer — who, in an article I’d read, made passing mention of her sensitivity to particular places reputed to be haunted. Her account is remarkable:

I’ve been overly sensitive for as long as I can remember. I was sickly and deeply affected by any hardships I witnessed as a child. I suffered a lot of growing pains …If someone walked into the room with a headache, I would get a headache. If they pulled their back, mine would begin aching the minute I made eye-contact. I was definitely more in tune with my environment and the feelings of others than almost everyone else I knew. I really envied everyone else’s insensitivity.
I continue to be sensitive to the pain levels of others, including pets. I give new meaning to the term “I feel your pain.” I am also able to pick up on the energies of my surroundings. For example, when we were looking for a new home, we found a great fixer upper that we really liked, but the moment I set foot inside, I could sense a heavy/angry atmosphere that practically took my breath away. Sure enough, when we went down to the basement, the walls were peppered with fist-holes. I can also pick up on the vibes of places that have especially happy or peaceful atmospheres.
I also have had encounters with spirits. I have seen things move, radios turn themselves on, and other types of phenomena. My husband has seen enough in our 17 years of marriage not to scoff at my experiences.

Her depiction reflects many of the commonalities I’ve noted in my study of self-described “sensitives.”[SUP]i[/SUP]They tend to have pronounced or longstanding allergies, migraine headaches, chronic fatigue, chronic pain, irritable bowel, even synesthesia (overlapping senses) and heightened sensitivity to light, sound, touch, and smell. Women make up three-quarters of this sensitive population but there are other markers as well: being ambidextrous, for instance, or recalling a traumatic childhood. Sensitives also report that their immediate family members often suffered from the same conditions. And, most intriguingly, they’re inclined toward anomalous perceptions, e.g., seeing an apparition, sensing a presence, noting auras or energies around people, or having precognitive/clairvoyant experiences.
With anywhere from one-third to two-thirds of the public saying they’ve had an extra-sensory experience (depending on the survey[SUP]ii[/SUP]), anomalous perceptions are nothing to shrug off. But the association with physical sensitivities — and, especially, emotional sensitivities — may distinguish the people who are likely to have anomalous perceptions. What is it that makes a person super sensitive, though, and others not?

Sensitivities and Boundaries
You might be surprised to know that an extensive literature exists on “highly sensitive people,” “sensory defensives,” “high reactors,” and the like. The accumulated evidence suggests that, from an early age, such people respond quite strongly to sensory stimuli and can become stressed or fatigued by exposure to bright lights, loud sounds, particular aromas, tastes, or textures. They also tend to

• * more strongly register pain (whether physical or emotional) in themselves and others;
  • * feel things deeply and have a need for strong emotional attachments;
  • * have a surfeit of energy, curiosity, and imagination;
  • * summon up imagery and memories easily;
  • * be creative or artistically inclined;
  • * have vivid dreams and a penchant for recalling what they dream; and
  • * have overactive immune systems that can result in allergies, chronic pain, and fatigue.

In short, these individuals are like a walking aerial, primed (in the words of psychologist Elaine Aron) “to notice more in their environment….to detect and understand more precisely whatever comes in.”[SUP]iii[/SUP]
By comparison, there are those considerably less empathetic and more oriented toward facts than feelings. A useful way of considering such personality differences is through the framework of boundaries. According to Tufts University psychiatrist Ernest Hartmann, who developed the concept, everyone can be characterized on a spectrum of boundaries from thick to thin:

There are people who strike us as very solid and well organized; they keep everything in its place. They are well defended. They seem rigid, even armored; we sometimes speak of them as “thick-skinned.” Such people, in my view, have very thick boundaries. At the other extreme are people who are especially sensitive, open, or vulnerable. In their minds, things are relatively fluid…Such people have particularly thin boundaries….I propose thick and thin boundaries as a broad way of looking at individual differences.[SUP]iv
[/SUP]

Thick-boundary people tend to brush aside emotional upset in favor of “handling” a situation and maintaining a calm demeanor. In practice, they suppress or deny strong feelings. Experiments show, however, that thick-boundary people don’t actually feeltheir feelings any less. Bodily indicators (such as heart rate, blood pressure, blood flow, hand temperature, and muscle tension) betray their considerable agitation despite surface claims of being unruffled.[SUP]v [/SUP]This is a crucial distinction, as we’ll see.

The Chronically Dissociated Person
In my book with Dr. Marc Micozzi, The Spiritual Anatomy of Emotion (Park Street Press, 2009), I theorize that thin-boundary people are most likely to register anomalous influences while thick-boundary people are more likely to create anomalies. The key, I suggest, is the extent to which a person is aware of his/her feelings — mindful of them, you might say — versus being unaware of them, holding them at bay, or unconsciously repressing them. Micozzi and I believe that feelings have an energetic existence in the body as well as within the brain. In this regard, a personality type known as “Type C” deserves our attention.

As opposed to the Type A (who angers easily and has difficulty keeping his/her feelings under wraps) and Type B (who has a healthier balance of emotional expressiveness), the Type C personality is a suppressor, a stoic, a denier of strong feelings. He/she has a calm, outwardly rational and unemotional demeanor, but also a tendency to conform to the wishes of others, a lack of assertiveness, and an inclination toward feelings of helplessness or hopelessness. The Type C is a perfect illustration of Hartmann’s thick-boundary type.

As we’ve seen, however, the fact that such a person claims to be calm and doesn’t get easily riled doesn’t mean that his/her feelings are any less intense than those of a thin-boundary person. It’s just that, for the Type C, emotion is a bit like a foreign language; feelings that are contained in their bodies tend not to register in their minds. So what happens to the energy of those feelings when something gets “under their skin” but they don’t know it — and don’t ever express it?
Psychologically, a pattern whereby someone fails to feel their feelings is known as dissociation. Occasional dissociation is quite common and harmless enough. We can become “lost” in a good book or a daydream, for instance, or while away hours in work or at a hobby, scarcely realizing the time that’s gone by. Dissociation can become pathological, however, in forms such as amnesia, identify confusion, depersonalization (an extreme sense of detachment), or the creation of multiple personalities (clinically termed Dissociative Identity Disorder).

A chronically dissociated person is not living a healthy life, either emotionally, psychologically, or spiritually. He/she is apt to feel empty or unconnected, and to wonder why things are happening the way they are. While any personality type can experience dissociation, the consequences may be particularly pronounced for a thick-boundary person, for whom feelings are a challenge anyway. Let’s look at one such consequence — the phenomenon known as phantom pain.

Dissociation and Phantom Pain
Anomalies need not be considered strictly in terms of apparitions, spooks, and spirits. A more “down to earth” form is phantom pain. It’s well known that certain people who have lost a limb will complain vigorously about strange sensations where their arm or leg, hand or foot, used to be. Cramping and itching, burning and shooting, are the adjectives most commonly used. In every case, the person is convinced that the limb (or whatever the body part may be) is still there. Sometimes the phantom sensations occur immediately after a patient’s surgery; sometimes they manifest after weeks, months, or even years. In some cases they abate, only to return later. The phenomenon is quite common, affecting upwards of 70 percent of amputees.[SUP]vi
[/SUP]

These cases are quite strange and, despite the advances of medical science, still unaccounted for. But phantom pain can perhaps be explained through feelings and the energy they harbor. The first question we must pose is: What distinguishes the 30 percent of amputees who don’t experience phantom pain from the majority who do? Similarly, why should some people’s sensations come and go while others’ remain constant? The answer, I propose, has to do with the extent to which an amputee is dissociated from his/her feelings. A chronically dissociated person is much more likely to feel phantom pain.

Initial evidence to this effect has been gathered by Eric Leskowitz, a Boston-based psychiatrist and energy healer who is director of the Integrative Medicine Project at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital. Leskowitzhas raised a number of intriguing issues on the possible relationship between stress, emotion, and the successful treatment of PLP (phantom-limb pain). For example, he treated two patients whose reaction to their respective predicaments differed quite a bit.[SUP]vii[/SUP] The first patient, “Mr. A,” was
a 37-year-old cargo loader, who lost his left leg just below the knee after suffering a massive crush injury when a cargo dolly jackknifed into his leg. He developed stump and phantom pain which was not responsive to two years of rehabilitation treatments, including…anti-depressants to treat his concurrent major depression. Formerly an avid athlete, he appeared to withdraw from life due to the loss of his old self-image as a hockey player and “tough guy.” He was also quite invested in a Worker’s Compensation suit against his former employer, which consumed much of his emotional energy….

He described this process of releasing his pain as frightening to him. Somehow, he was holding onto the pain and preventing it from totally leaving his body. He realized that if he could no longer feel any pain in his phantom leg, he would have to experience the true absence of his leg for the first time since his injury…doing so would also involve accepting the fact that he would never play hockey again. He stated quite clearly that he was not ready to proceed with further energy healing, because he wasn’t yet ready to accept his disability.

Contrast this patient’s reaction and outlook with that of another patient, “Ms. B,”
a 65-year-old widow whose severe diabetic peripheral vascular disease necessitated a below-the-knee amputation of her right leg. However, she apparently misunderstood her surgeon’s plans, because she went into surgery with the expectation that only two of her toes would be removed (the painful and gangrenous ones). Needless to say, she was shocked to wake up and find her lower leg missing. Within hours of her [surgery], she developed phantom pain of the two toes she had expected to lose…

She proved to be a feisty yet trusting woman who was primarily upset that her esteemed surgeon has so misled her. Part of her psychotherapeutic work with me involved venting her frustration, and also communicating her distress directly to her surgeon. These conversations allowed her to feel as though a load was lifted from her shoulders….
The differences between these two instances are striking. Mr. A desperately wished to retain his old self-image as the rough-and-ready hockey player, whereas Ms. B. was able, after venting her anger and frustration, to accept to some degree her predicament. To the extent that the individual is able to feel his/her feelings — and accept their genuineness — dissociation will be reduced. The phantom pain, I submit, reflects the “unresolved” energy of the person’s feelings around the limb (or other body part) that has been removed. The 30 percent of amputees who don’t suffer from phantom pain are those whose feelings are felt more readily and whose emotional energy is apt to be expressed more than suppressed, whose boundaries, in Hartmann’s parlance, are thinner.

Interpersonal Interactions
While phantom pain is an outcome of thwarted or displaced energy within an individual, there are other situations where the interplay of emotions between people might be the trigger for anomalous experiences. In these cases, I surmise, a thick-boundary person is likely to be the source of the disturbance while a thin-boundary person is likely to not only register the displaced energy but effectively to draw it out.

The flow of this dynamic came to me during a site investigation with parapsychologist William Roll. We visited a woman who had a history of appearing to attract odd goings-on, ranging from ghostly sights and sounds to anomalous movement of objects. She lived with her husband in a small Pennsylvania town and the couple had requested Roll’s assistance. Roll, a renowned poltergeist investigator, obliged her and gathered a small team together. We interviewed the woman, took electromagnetic measurements of her home, and tried to put two and two together. At no time over the several days we were there did we witness anything in the least paranormal. However, a few noteworthy observations stood out.

First, the woman involved fit the thin-boundary profile to a “T.” She claimed to not only be psychically sensitive but to be affected by allergies, migraine headaches, and electrical and chemical sensitivities. Several of these conditions, she attested, ran in her family, affecting parents and siblings as well as her own children. She’d had a troubled childhood (parental infighting, divorce) but, to her credit, was energetic and outgoing with a good sense of humor. Nothing in her manner betrayed anything pathological; only the accounts she and her husband gave suggested anything weird.
Second, if her story was to be taken as truthful, the house we were investigating was not haunted so much as were its occupants. Paranormal oddities apparently followed this woman regardless of where she lived.

Third — and least expected — was the role her husband seemed to be playing in whatever drama was taking place. As opposed to his wife, he came across as diffident. While he supported her accounts, she overshadowed him to the point that he seemed almost to blend into the background. He, too, revealed significant childhood trauma in our questionnaire (parental alcoholism, suicide) but was so soft-spoken that we needed to draw him out during our questioning.
The day before we were to leave, the husband and I were talking when he said, out of the blue, “Come on upstairs, there’s something I want to show you.” In a bedroom he went to a gun cabinet and took out one of the rifles. We were in a rural part of Pennsylvania with a hunting tradition so I wasn’t unduly alarmed. What did shake me, however, was his next gesture. He asked me to hold out my hands, placed the gun in my grasp, and said almost matter-of-factly, “This is the gun my daddy used to kill himself.” I wasn’t sure whether to feel horrified or honored — I suppose I felt both. What did occur to me later, though, was how much difficulty this man must have lived through and how much trauma he must harbor well under the surface.

My supposition is that he and his wife are doing a kind of psychic dance — not necessarily psychic in the anomalous sense but a dance between psyches in which one projects and amplifies not only her own troubled feelings but those of her partner. Where one of them is exceptionally thin boundary and the other exceptionally thick boundary, anomalies may result. This would be the outcome if we grant the possibility that feelings are fluid, energetic, and body-based.
Numerous investigations of hauntings and poltergeist phenomena have evidenced not one person in isolation but families and emotional dynamics gone awry. As the saying goes, it takes two to tango and, quite often, there is some shared trauma that a thin-boundary person and a thick-boundary person will deal with in their own way. Most people, of course, are somewhere in the middle of the spectrum from thin- to thick-boundaried. Where the ‘outliers’ meet is the most fertile ground for anomalies, especially if that ground has been seeded through trauma, dissociated feeling, and stored-up tension.

None of this, I hasten to add, is meant to suggest that thick boundary people aren’t capable of anomalous perception themselves. In our phantom pain illustration, “Mr. A” experienced phantom pain just as real to him as that felt by “Ms. B.” Similarly, the husband described above heard and saw strange things in the house he shared with his wife just as much as she did. What I’m advancing, though, is the notion that a thin-boundary person is generally more “attuned” to environmental goings-on in the same way that he/she tends to be more aware of how he/she is feeling at any given moment.

Our Feelings, Our Bodies
A therapist I know (undoubtedly thin boundary) says that she feels her patients’ concerns manifested though her own aches and pains during therapy. Not only that, she’s become aware of “more and more [clients] who feel, in their bodies, the connections between the harming of the planet and their own emotional and physical ailments.”[SUP]viii[/SUP] An educator and ecologist I read about likewise remarks, “The Earth speaks to us through our bodies and psyches. She often cries, and many of us feel her tears and see her pain. I experience it as a force of nature entering me, like light.”[SUP]ix
[/SUP]

Notice the connection in her statement between “body” and “psyche.” Each one of us, regardless of boundary type, is a feeling creature, and feeling cannot take place absent a body. We are more than the sum total of our neurons. We are whole people, interacting with other whole people and the environment around us. The state of our bodies — the feelings or symptoms we have — is inevitably an indicator of our psyches, our deeper selves, as well as our reactions at any given moment.
Someone who has anomalous or psychical experiences is fundamentally no different than other people who keenly register environmental distress, the tumult of war, or the heartbreak of natural disasters. It makes no difference how far away those news events are; the thin-boundary person feels them viscerally and immediately.
The fact of our embodied existence is crucial if we are to understand how and why anomalies occur. This emotional, somatic perspective offers a window into our dual physical/spiritual nature. As trenchantly put by philosopher Morris Berman, “Soul is another name for what the body does.”[SUP]x[/SUP]

[SUP]i[/SUP] Michael Jawer, “Environmental Sensitivity: A Neurobiological Phenomenon?” Seminars in Integrative Medicine 3 (3) (2005): 104-109.

[SUP]ii[/SUP] David Lukoff, “From Spiritual Emergency to Spiritual Problem: The Transpersonal Roots of the New DSM-IV Category,” Journal of Humanistic Psychology 38 (2) (1998): 21-50.

[SUP]iii[/SUP] Elaine Aron, The Highly Sensitive Person (New York: Carol Publishing Group, 1996), 7.

[SUP]iv [/SUP]Ernest Hartmann, Boundaries in the Mind (New York: Basic Books, 1991), 4-7.

[SUP]v[/SUP] James J. Lynch, The Language of the Heart (New York, Basic Books, 1985), 209-13, 220-22.

[SUP]vi[/SUP] Ronald Melzack, “Phantom Limbs,” Scientific American 266 (April 1992): 120.

[SUP]vii[/SUP] Eric Leskowitz, “Phantom Limb Pain: Subtle Energy Perspectives,” Subtle Energies & Energy Medicine8 (2) (2001): 135-137.

[SUP]viii[/SUP]Miriam Greenspan, Healing through the Dark Emotions (Boston: Shambhala, 2003), 219, 231.

[SUP]ix[/SUP] Laura Sewall, “The Skill of Ecological Perception,” in Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth, Healing the Mind, Theodore Roszak, Mary Gomes, and Allan Kanner, eds. (San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1995), 214.

[SUP]x[/SUP] Kat Duff, The Alchemy of Illness (New York: Pantheon Books, 1993), 33.

It's About Time: The Scientific Evidence for Psi Experiences

by Cassandra Vieten

OK readers, later in this article, I'm going to use an example that will involve either a garden, a sailboat, a running man or a train. Can you accurately guess which one? In a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (JPSP), Cornell psychology professorDaryl Bem has published an article that suggests you can, possibly more often than the 25 percent of the time on average you might expect just by chance.

Entitled "Feeling the Future: Experimental Evidence for Anomalous Retroactive Influences on Cognition and Affect," the paper presents evidence from nine experiments involving over 1,000 subjects suggesting that events in the future may influence events in the past -- a concept known as "retrocausation." In some of the experiments, students were able to guess at future events at levels of accuracy beyond what would be expected by chance. In others, events that took place in the future appeared to influence those in the past, such as one in which rehearsing a list of words enhanced recall of those words, with the twist that the rehearsal took place after the test of recall.

As Director of Research at the Institute of Noetic Sciences, where, among other things, we study experiences that seem to transcend the usual boundaries of time or space (generically called "psi" experiences), I've already received a slew of comments and queries regarding the pre-print of the article that is making the rounds.
The comments range from, "Wow, that's amazing!" to, "That's not possible -- there must be some mistake." But most responses are along the lines of "Hello?? This isn't news. Hundreds of articles reporting significant results on psi experiments have already been published in dozens of academic journals. What's the big deal?"
So what is notable about the current publication? To begin, Bem is not just any psychologist; he is one of the most prominent psychologists in the world (he was probably mentioned in your Psych 101 textbook, and may have even co-authored it).

And JPSP is not just any journal but sits atop the psychology journal heap; the article, especially given its premise, was subjected to a rigorous peer-review (where scientific colleagues critique the article and decide whether it is worthy of publication). Also, Bem intentionally adopted well-accepted research protocols in the studies, albeit with a few key twists, that are simple and replicable (they don't require lots of special equipment, and the analyses are straightforward). Even so, whether the larger scientific community will pay attention to this study remains to be seen.

Which begs the question: Why is the existing literature on psi phenomena routinely dismissed by the scientific community and virtually ignored within the broader academic community? As science journalist Jonah Lehrer says about research findings on psi phenomena, "They've been demonstrated dozens of times, often by reputable scientists ... Why, then, do serious scientists dismiss the possibility of psi? Why do rational people assume that parapsychology is bullshit? Because these exciting results have consistently failed the test of replication."

Such assertions drive some of my colleagues crazy, who point to a large body of literature in which psi experiments have been replicated numerous times over many decades, involving dozens of independent scientists and thousands of subjects, and published in peer-reviewed journals. Still, the majority of the scientific community has largely dismissed the concept of psi -- no matter how reputable the investigator or prestigious his or her affiliation -- as frivolous, artifactual, not replicable, or having effect sizes that are so small as to be meaningless regardless of statistical significance.

Worse, skeptics accuse psi researchers of being outright fraudulent, or well-meaning but delusional. Young scientists are regularly advised to stay far away from studying psi and warned about the ATF (the anti-tenure factor) that is associated with such interests. Senior scientists, including Nobel Laureates, have been known to be disinvited from giving talks if their interest in psi is discovered. Even religious scholars, who make it their business to examine the spiritual aspects of human experience, have trouble with psi.

With respect to effect sizes, yes, if you look at the results of lots of studies combined, psi effects are statistically significant, though small. However, a double standard is applied to the potential importance of small effects. The effect sizes reported in Bem's and many previous psi studies were frequently much larger than the effect sizes associated with many well-accepted scientific facts, like taking aspirin to prevent heart attacks, for example, or the risks of blood clots from taking Tamoxifen.
More importantly, though, even if we were to agree that "size does matter" and that these effects are generally small, let's remember that it shouldn't be possible to peer into the future at all, even a little, given what we generally understand about how the world works. Time is only supposed to go one way. Perception is supposed to be limited to the past or the present and only to those phenomena immediately and locally accessible by our five senses. When exceptions to these rules are observed, particularly under controlled laboratory conditions, they deserve a closer look.

Take running the four-minute mile. If we as scientists had studied even thousands of people in the 1950s, we might have concluded that running a four-minute mile was not humanly possible. Over time, however, it was found that a few people could actually do it -- an extremely small effect to be sure, but these anomalies proved that it was, in fact, possible. Not only do we now know that running a four-minute mile is possible, it is the standard for professional middle-distance runners (for those of you paying attention, that was the example with the running man).

Perhaps the oft-quoted maxim "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" should be accompanied by a counter-maxim: "extraordinary anomalies deserve special attention." For example, a new drug to treat depression that resulted in some relief in one out of 100 people might not be worth a second glance, but if a new drug was claimed to cure AIDS in one out of 100 patients, it would justify further examination. When evidence runs contrary to prior probabilities, it calls for special consideration, not a knee-jerk out-of-hand dismissal.

As for replication, as noted earlier, psi proponents argue that there have been numerous replications -- often far more than many other scientifically supported "facts" that are taken for granted. Indeed, scientists familiar with this area of research view Bem's studies as clever conceptual replications that rest upon a large body of previous work. These scientists are now going beyond the idea of mere existence of these effects and forging ahead into studying what conditions may enhance them -- inherent individual traits, training, genetics? In small, underfunded labs around the world, scientists are working to improve research designs, measures and methods to better study psi.

There is also a growing recognition that it might not be quite so simple as developing one good experiment and then replicating it to death. An article published in the Dec. 13, 2010 issue of The New Yorker highlights a phenomenon that is well known to scientists, not only in the field of psi but across many disciplines: Initial experiments can show very strong results, but when the experiments are repeated again and again, the effects can decline. Gamblers may recognize this phenomenon as "beginner's luck." Of course this isn't true for all natural phenomena. When you drop a rock it will head toward the ground pretty much every time. But for more complex phenomena, we may need to contend with the "decline effect," along with observer effects and other design and measurement complexities.

Does this mean that the effects aren't real and that these topics are inherently "unscientific" and shouldn't be studied? Of course not. Recall that in the early 19th century, it took many years for Faraday to demonstrate the existence of electromagnetism to his colleagues, and still, he did not live to see his theory that electromagnetic forces extended out into empty space around a conductor validated. Many research topics are extremely complex, requiring decades of research, and all kinds of new measures, methods, controls and technologies to adequately explore them. Cancer remains a profound mystery despite the efforts of tens of thousands of scientists and billions of dollars spent looking for a cure. Sequencing the human genome was a vast and complicated undertaking. Even "evidence-based" drugs for treating depression, on which a multi-billion dollar industry is based, are being called into question as being not much better than a placebo after all. Unless the object of study is extremely simple, science is mostly a long, winding, painstaking, incremental and challenging pursuit.

Problems with fluctuating effect sizes, experimenter effects, finding adequate controls and so on, are inherent in studying phenomena with complex interactions and poorly understood mechanisms. So I don't think we can attribute resistance to evidence for psi to these, nor can we blame complexities of measurement, difficulties with replication or even the challenge of pinning down an underlying theory. I think it's fear that some of our most cherished beliefs about how the world works and about who and what we are may be wrong. On a deeper level, there may be a collective, protracted, post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from that period in human history when reliance on blind faith in supernatural explanations of reality led to a very dark time when priests determined what was true and rational thought and systematic observation were prohibited.

Bem's article and its supporting body of literature, combined with serious discussions of retrocausation in physics, suggest that retrocausation in human experience may indeed be possible. But the real significance of the article lies in the fact that the dialogue about psi has been brought once again into the arena of intelligent debate in a public forum, where it deserves to be. While a long period of cautiousness regarding the commingling of science and anything considered supernatural -- like perceiving the future or the impact of consciousness on physical systems -- has been an understandable and adaptive response, surely we can trust ourselves in the 21st century to examine these issues intelligently without losing our heads. Such examination may lead to radical revisions in our understanding of how the world works and our human potentials.

Thanks for the big response and thoughtful debate. I've written a follow-up to this post -

So, I posted this article on my Huffington Post blog Friday morning and by Friday evening it had received nearly 1000 views and 250 comments. It spent several days in Huff Po's “Most Popular” section…

It’s been so interesting to read the comments – now nearly 900. I don’t think I’ve ever been flamed by so many strangers! But for the most part, I’m enjoying the debate.
People loved it when they correctly chose the running man in the guessing game at the beginning but many pointed out that the game seemed a little rigged – saying that people are in general more likely to choose an option with a human in it, or the third option, or something that is moving rather than static. As one reader pointed out, it was meant to be a thought experiment, not a rigorous psi test, but the critique is fair enough.

Other critiques were harsher – calling the post, my “claims,” and the entire concept of psi everything from silly to crazy to wishful thinking to one tweet sent to my personal account letting me know that I’m “no better than other religious fraudsters” and should be ashamed of myself. These comments were represented well by this one: “Hogwash. As I read this, I just felt like I was reading something by someone who does a lot of wishful thinking, but does not know what science is, and knows very little statistics and probability.” Ouch! Another said reading the first paragraph actually made them physically ill!

The vehemence with which people responded to the post has been fascinating – mostly falling into the categories of “pro” psi and skeptic. The “pro” responses were things like “psi definitely exists and there is no need to study it to prove it,” and the skeptical responses were basically, “this is crap, it always has been crap, and it always will be crap.” Neither of which I think forwards our understanding of our capabilities or the nature of reality.

If you read the post, you’ll see that my main “claim” is not that this one paper proves the existence of precognition or retrocausation. It’s the idea that “psi” should no longer be a taboo field of study. It deserves the same kind of rigorous examination, thoughtful inquiry, and critical debate that other topics receive.
There have already been (several months before publication) at least one quasi-replication and onereanalysis that claim to refute the Bem paper, some harsh critiques, and a thorough response from Bem, and some commentary.
There will likely be more replications conducted, more critiques and responses, and more commentaries. This is all a good thing. However, unwavering faith in any perspective that does not allow itself to be disproven or modified by new data is not. It would be great if the debate could go beyond the same stagnant polarization and ad hominem attacks that have characterized it historically…

But I’ll put my cards on the table – given all that I’ve read – scientific studies yielding evidence both for and against, theories for and against, and data from the thousands of people I’ve surveyed and interviewed about their noetic (subjective) and psi experiences, combined with recent discoveries in serious physics that provide possible underlying theories - there are enough data to warrant a much closer look at experiences that seem to transcend the currently understood boundaries of time and space.

I think I agree with what English astronomer Sir Arthur Eddington said (in reference to the uncertainty principle in physics) in 1927: “something unknown is doing we don’t know what.” And whatever it is, I think like the Facebook relationship status: "it's complicated." My proposition here is that we work to figure out what.
Let’s take the lid off of the box and use the power of science, reasoning and systematic observation to explore this realm of our human experience.

Why? Because experiences of “psi,” real or imagined, have profound influences on people’s lives. Because it’s possible, in fact quite probable, that our current ideas about the structure and function of reality are probably not complete. And, because it’s totally fascinating – at least to me and, it appears, many others.

Define “spiritual garbage”? Please speak your mind....you won’t offend me...we each have our own belief systems...I don’t think anyone has it right enough to claim superiority over the next guy/gal.
http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

I don't really think some of it is garbage per se. I just said that to be hyperbolic.

I do think a lot of this stuff makes people spend too much time engaging in and believing in fantastical things that have negligible basis for their existence in reality thus far. Most people who are into this stuff don't do all that much reading into the research side of things or they stretch the truth to themselves when they find something that fits their ideas and tastes. And many who are into these things believe in contradictory ideas existing. A lot of it can be very fun and interesting to think about and I'm glad people are out there doing real work on these ideas (well, I hope they are doing a good job). As for the rest of the people it's like they're trying to do the microwave water and feeding plants experiment and holding up their "results" and experience for people to see while everyone else facepalms at them.

http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

I don't really think some of it is garbage per se. I just said that to be hyperbolic.

I do think a lot of this stuff makes people spend too much time engaging in and believing in fantastical things that have negligible basis for their existence in reality thus far. Most people who are into this stuff don't do all that much reading into the research side of things or they stretch the truth to themselves when they find something that fits their ideas and tastes. And many who are into these things believe in contradictory ideas existing. A lot of it can be very fun and interesting to think about and I'm glad people are out there doing real work on these ideas (well, I hope they are doing a good job). As for the rest of the people it's like they're trying to do the microwave water and feeding plants experiment and holding up their "results" and experience for people to see while everyone else facepalms at them.

Let me repost this video and some previous thread posts for you as an answer to your post.
There is a strong taboo against anything “metaphysical” or “psi”, etc...
The evidence is there...studies have been done by our government and others around the world....results have been duplicated over and over again...and yet...there is the mainstream group yelling - “Bullshit!”.
There are a lot of contradictory things...but no more than anything else in well known scientific theories and ideas.
[video=youtube;qw_O9Qiwqew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=qw_O9Qiwqew[/video]
http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27025&page=49&p=740113&viewfull=1#post740113
http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27025&page=44&p=738242&viewfull=1#post738242

Back