RESEARCHERS UNCOVER THE LOST GEOMETRY OF MUSIC

More than 2000 years ago Pythagoras reportedly discovered that pleasing musical intervals could be described using simple ratios.

And the so-called musica universalis or “music of the spheres” emerged in the Middle Ages as the philosophical idea that the proportions in the movements of the celestial bodies — the sun, moon and planets — could be viewed as a form of music, inaudible but perfectly harmonious.

Now, three music professors — Clifton Callender at Florida State University, Ian Quinn at Yale University and Dmitri Tymoczko at Princeton University — have devised a new way of analyzing and categorizing music that takes advantage of the deep, complex mathematics they see enmeshed in its very fabric.
Writing in the April 18 issue of Science, the trio has outlined a method called “geometrical music theory” that translates the language of musical theory into that of contemporary geometry. They take sequences of notes, like chords, rhythms and scales, and categorize them so they can be grouped into “families.” They have found a way to assign mathematical structure to these families, so they can then be represented by points in complex geometrical spaces, much the way “x” and “y” coordinates, in the simpler system of high school algebra, correspond to points on a two-dimensional plane.
Different types of categorization produce different geometrical spaces, and reflect the different ways in which musicians over the centuries have understood music. This achievement, they expect, will allow researchers to analyze and understand music in much deeper and more satisfying ways.

The work represents a significant departure from other attempts to quantify music, according to Rachel Wells Hall of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia. In an accompanying essay, she writes that their effort, “stands out both for the breadth of its musical implications and the depth of its mathematical content.”

The figure shows how geometrical music theory represents four-note chord-types — the collections of notes form a tetrahedron, with the colors indicating the spacing between the individual notes in a sequence. In the blue spheres, the notes are clustered, in the warmer colors, they are farther apart. The red ball at the top of the pyramid is the diminished seventh chord, a popular 19th-century chord. Near it are all the most familiar chords of Western music.

The method, according to its authors, allows them to analyze and compare many kinds of Western (and perhaps some non-Western) music. (The method focuses on Western-style music because concepts like “chord” are not universal in all styles.) It also incorporates many past schemes by music theorists to render music into mathematical form.

“The music of the spheres isn’t really a metaphor — some musical spaces really are spheres,” said Tymoczko, an assistant professor of music at Princeton. “The whole point of making these geometric spaces is that, at the end of the day, it helps you understand music better. Having a powerful set of tools for conceptualizing music allows you to do all sorts of things you hadn’t done before.”
Like what?
“You could create new kinds of musical instruments or new kinds of toys,” he said. “You could create new kinds of visualization tools — imagine going to a classical music concert where the music was being translated visually. We could change the way we educate musicians. There are lots of practical consequences that could follow from these ideas.”
“But to me,” Tymoczko added, “the most satisfying aspect of this research is that we can now see that there is a logical structure linking many, many different musical concepts. To some extent, we can represent the history of music as a long process of exploring different symmetries and different geometries.”

Understanding music, the authors write, is a process of discarding information. For instance, suppose a musician plays middle “C” on a piano, followed by the note “E” above that and the note “G” above that. Musicians have many different terms to describe this sequence of events, such as “an ascending C major arpeggio,” “a C major chord,” or “a major chord.” The authors provide a unified mathematical framework for relating these different descriptions of the same musical event.

The trio describes five different ways of categorizing collections of notes that are similar, but not identical. They refer to these musical resemblances as the “OPTIC symmetries,” with each letter of the word “OPTIC” representing a different way of ignoring musical information — for instance, what octave the notes are in, their order, or how many times each note is repeated. The authors show that five symmetries can be combined with each other to produce a cornucopia of different musical concepts, some of which are familiar and some of which are novel.

In this way, the musicians are able to reduce musical works to their mathematical essence.
Once notes are translated into numbers and then translated again into the language of geometry the result is a rich menagerie of geometrical spaces, each inhabited by a different species of geometrical object. After all the mathematics is done, three-note chords end up on a triangular donut while chord types perch on the surface of a cone.
The broad effort follows upon earlier work by Tymoczko in which he developed geometric models for selected musical objects.
The method could help answer whether there are new scales and chords that exist but have yet to be discovered.
“Have Western composers already discovered the essential and most important musical objects?” Tymoczko asked. “If so, then Western music is more than just an arbitrary set of conventions. It may be that the basic objects of Western music are fantastically special, in which case it would be quite difficult to find alternatives to broadly traditional methods of musical organization.”
The tools for analysis also offer the exciting possibility of investigating the differences between musical styles.

“Our methods are not so great at distinguishing Aerosmith from the Rolling Stones,” Tymoczko said. “But they might allow you to visualize some of the differences between John Lennon and Paul McCartney. And they certainly help you understand more deeply how classical music relates to rock or is different from atonal music.”

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]

That reminds me of this somehow.
[video=youtube;UYkLz8BIS8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYkLz8BIS8k[/video]

That reminds me of this somehow.
[video=youtube;UYkLz8BIS8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYkLz8BIS8k[/video]

Whoa. Is it just me or is anyone thinking what I am thinking? The intersections look like a interference pattern. It makes me think about waves, music and photons and that maybe theres some sort of answer here concerning the double slit experiment. But then I have no idea why I think this.

Whoa. Is it just me or is anyone thinking what I am thinking? The intersections look like a interference pattern. It makes me think about waves, music and photons and that maybe theres some sort of answer here concerning the double slit experiment. But then I have no idea why I think this.

You're not the only one.

RESEARCHERS UNCOVER THE LOST GEOMETRY OF MUSIC

I wonder how they would analyze something like this. Not that even this is all that far out:
[video=youtube;i46sliG46P0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46sliG46P0[/video]

There's much more dimension to the sound space than mere notes, chords, rhythms and scales. There's sound shape and color, texture, harmonics, micro transitions, timbre, overlay, attack, decay... so many more things to make a rich sound space.

Well to be entirely fair, more serious and immediate implications tend to attract a higher veracity requirement, naturally.

And muir posts some very serious implications at times. What muir often posts about is
243j7nl.jpg

I post on a variety of subject matter which also incorporates the spiritual and the so called 'para-normal' because i see all of that as part of the puzzle

It is not seperate from economics, politics, religion or sociology...they are all part of the same puzzle and they all begin to merge into a picture that begins to make sense of everything that is happening

Its just the picture is so radically different from the picture that the mainstream media and education system create for us that it is not easy for people to make the leap in one go (its been an ongoing process for me over many years). Usually it is a process of undermining one false perception at a time until they get to the picture behind the picture

I've been accused of often bringing various discussions back to the 'conspiracy' but that's because all these discussions i get involved in here are all inter-related and i think that fundamental to all of it is understanding the nature of reality

So i think threads like this one are absolutely at the cutting edge of understanding what is going on in our world in many fields

I think this thread acts as a good partner to the Are we as a society being kept from discussing the big issues? thread. One thread covers predominantly the physical manifestations of the conspiracy whilst the other predominantly seeks to scratch beneath that into the metaphysical

Between the two there is a lot of exploring going on...which is cool to watch

Last edited:
I wonder how they would analyze something like this. Not that even this is all that far out:
[video=youtube;i46sliG46P0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46sliG46P0[/video]

There's much more dimension to the sound space than mere notes, chords, rhythms and scales. There's sound shape and color, texture, harmonics, micro transitions, timbre, overlay, attack, decay... so many more things to make a rich sound space.
Lol...well, you know if you slowed it down and played it on a pipe organ (minus the drums) it could be a church hymn...as could just about anything...there is a standard pattern behind it all showing us something.
We should pay attention.

I post on a variety of subject matter which also incorporates the spiritual and the so called 'para-normal' because i see all of that as part of the puzzle

It is not seperate from economics, politics, religion or sociology...they are all part of the same puzzle and they all begin to merge into a picture that begins to make sense of everything that is happening

Its just the picture is so radically different from the picture that the mainstream media and education system create for us that it is not easy for people to make the leap in one go (its been an ongoing process for me over many years). Usually it is a process of undermining one false perception at a time until they get to the picture behind the picture

I've been accused of often bringing various discussions back to the 'conspiracy' but that's because all these discussions i get involved in here are all inter-related and i think that fundamental to all of it is understanding the nature of reality

So i think threads like this one are absolutely at the cutting edge of understanding what is going on in our world in many fields

I think this thread acts as a good partner to the Are we as a society being kept from discussing the big issues? thread. One thread covers predominantly the physical manifestations of the conspiracy whilst the other predominantly seeks to scratch beneath that into the metaphysical

Between the two there is a lot of exploring going on...which is cool to watch

I just enjoy learning about things that catch my interest....that is why I am not a mathematician....lol.
If one really wants to look at the big picture then one has to understand the underlying nature of things and how they interrelate to society.
Many of the “phenomena” that have been explored here on this thread, have had huge influence on the Christian religion for example...it is all connected.
Thanks for reading and contributing to my thread...I try to keep new things flowing on here...and thanks for -Are we as a society being kept from discussing the big issues?.

How Not To Be Offended — The Secret To Peace

There is an ancient and well-kept secret to happiness which the Great Ones have known for centuries. They rarely talk about it, but they use it all the time, and it is fundamental to good mental health. This secret is called The Fine Art of Not Being Offended. In order to truly be a master of this art, one must be able to see that every statement, action and reaction of another human being is the sum result of their total life experience to date.

In other words, the majority of people in our world say and do what they do from their own set of fears, conclusions, defenses and attempts to survive. Most of it, even when aimed directly at us, has nothing to do with us. Usually, it has more to do with all the other times, and in particular the first few times, that this person experienced a similar situation, usually when they were young.

Yes, this is psychodynamic. But let’s face it, we live in a world where psychodynamics are what make the world go around. An individual who wishes to live successfully in the world as a spiritual person really needs to understand that psychology is as spiritual as prayer. In fact, the word psychology literally means the study of the soul.

All of that said, almost nothing is personal. Even with our closest loved ones, our beloved partners, our children and our friends. We are all swimming in the projections and filters of each other’s life experiences and often we are just the stand-ins, the chess pieces of life to which our loved ones have their own built-in reactions. This is not to dehumanize life or take away the intimacy from our relationships, but mainly for us to know that almost every time we get offended, we are actually just in a misunderstanding. A true embodiment of this idea actually allows for more intimacy and less suffering throughout all of our relationships. When we know that we are just the one who happens to be standing in the right place at the right psychodynamic time for someone to say or do what they are doing–we don’t have to take life personally. If it weren’t us, it would likely be someone else.

This frees us to be a little more detached from the reactions of people around us. How often do we react to a statement of another by being offended rather than seeing that the other might actually be hurting? In fact, every time we get offended, it is actually an opportunity to extend kindness to one who may be suffering–even if they themselves do not appear that way on the surface. All anger, all acting out, all harshness, all criticism, is in truth a form of suffering.

When we provide no Velcro for it to stick, something changes in the world. We do not even have to say a thing. In fact, it is usually better not to say a thing. People who are suffering on the inside, but not showing it on the outside, are usually not keen on someone pointing out to them that they are suffering. We do not have to be our loved one’s therapist. We need only understand the situation and move on. In the least, we ourselves experience less suffering and at best, we have a chance to make the world a better place.

This is also not to be confused with allowing ourselves to be hurt, neglected or taken advantage of. True compassion does not allow harm to ourselves either. But when we know that nothing is personal, a magical thing happens. Many of the seeming abusers of the world start to leave our lives. Once we are conscious, so-called abuse can only happen if we believe what the other is saying.

When we know nothing is personal, we also do not end up feeling abused. We can say, “Thank you for sharing,” and move on. We are not hooked by what another does or says, since we know it is not about us. When we know that our inherent worth is not determined by what another says, does or believes, we can take the world a little less seriously. And if necessary, we can just walk away without creating more misery for ourselves or having to convince the other person that we are good and worthy people.

The great challenge of our world is to live a life of contentment, regardless of what other people do, say, think or believe. The fine art of not being offended is one of the many skills for being a practical mystic. Though it may take a lifetime of practice, it is truly one of the best kept secrets for living a happy life.

How Negative Energy Affects Your Life And How To Clear It

negative-energy.jpg
You know that like attracts like, right? So here’s the deal: Positive people are drawn to positive energy; negative people are drawn to negative energy. We tend to perceive negative energy as something other people have. Sure, sometimes we feel negative — as in, “go away and leave me alone, world!” but did you know that negativity can be so ingrained in you that it goes unnoticed?

That’s because negativity sometimes wears a disguise called ‘reality’. It’s easy to rationalize that you’re ‘just being realistic’ in not daring to act on a dream — and believe it! You may assume that positive people are not being realistic — that they’re being naive, that they are in denial with their heads stuck in the sand, that they put on fake smiles in the face of difficulty and so forth. But are they really happy idiots or is there something to their positivity?

Consider this: since when does ‘being realistic’ necessarily mean that things will go wrong and that you have to accept that as the truth? That doesn’t mean that being realistic is automatically negative. When you view the world from a ‘realistic’ standpoint, you can’t help but be negative IF your version of reality is negative. If your version of reality is negative, you are conditioned to believe that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong and whatever can go right, will probably go wrong too.
Your unconsciously held beliefs make you into a negative person without your being aware of it! So — if this negativity is so ingrained in you that you don’t notice it, how do you determine whether you’re stuck in a cloud of negative energy that is attracting the wrong people, wrong situations and wrong feelings? And how can you be sure you’re not perpetuating that negativity?

Here’s a quick quiz to gauge the level of negative energy within you: — Do you complain? All the time or just sometimes? — Do you often discuss what’s wrong in the world more than what’s right? This includes the ‘terrible’ weather, ‘horrible’ traffic, ‘idiotic’ government, ‘lousy’ economy, ‘stupid’ in-laws, etc. — Do you criticize? All the time or just certain people? — Are you attracted to drama and disaster (can you unglue yourself from the TV when there’s a news story of a disaster and can you avoid getting involved in the lives of dysfunctional celebrities?)

Do you blame? All the time or just certain situations? — Do you believe that you have no control over most of your results? — Do you feel like a victim? Do you talk about people doing things to you? — Are you grateful for what is or will you be grateful when things finally start going right for you? — Do you feel like things are happening to you? Or do you feel that they are happening through you?

These last two points are important: If you’re not grateful except when things go right, you are negative. Gratitude is positive. If you are grateful for what is (including the unpleasant school of life lessons, then you can invite more and more positive energy into your life. Believing that things happen to you puts you in the role of victim; then it’s easy to be negative because it’s convenient to give up that power.

So consider this alternative: who or what is to blame when GOOD things happen to you? Do you acknowledge that you are responsible for the good things — as in, you worked hard, you earned it, etc… but blame external events or other people for your failures? So how come, when good things happen, they are a result of what you do, but when bad things happen, they are not your fault? Nobody likes to hear that. It takes courage to accept that you create your life experience!
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you are holding on to negative energy to some degree! To clear your negative energy and raise your vibration, you will need to retrain yourself to choose a positive attitude. Here’s another interesting idea to consider: have you noticed that positive people seem to get what they want out of life, and even if things don’t go their way, they still enjoy their lives… while negative people whine and moan about their misfortunes and even the good things in their lives?

To clear negative energy, try this 3 -step process:

1.Take ownership: “When you think everything is someone else’s fault, you will suffer a lot. When you realize that everything springs only from yourself, you will learn both peace and joy.” — the Dalai Lama

2. Cancel negative thoughts and replace them with positive thoughts. This takes practice, dedication and making a decision to see the world through the eyes of “what can go right” instead of “what can go wrong.” You’ll have to catch yourself anytime you are acting out or speaking out your negativity, and immediately change your tune.

3.Visualize the positive instead of getting sucked into negativity; overcome past conditioning; think intuitively from the soul instead from ‘reality’; create a new, desired reality in your imagination and manifest it in the outer world. Nobody wants negative energy to permeate their lives, yet many of us allow it. But we allow it unconsciously, based on past conditioning that suggests an inevitable outcome to certain situations.

When you overcome that conditioning and realize that the future is NOT cast in stone but that you have more control over your circumstances than you believe — then you can begin to consciously design your life. What’s going to happen then? Your positive energy will magnetically attract what you consider to be good and right for you: people, situations, things… and you’ll notice a huge, huge increase in your happiness and inner peace. Why not choose positive energy? Make some changes within, and you’ll quickly see positive changes in your life. Enjoy the good feelings and abundance!

A War On Consciousness — Graham Hancock Banned TED Talk

ted-talk.jpg

In January of 2013, British author and researcher Graham Hancock presented to a TEDx audience a summary (titled “The War on Consciousness”) of his various investigative work into the historical origins of human consciousness, with key insights addressed along with his own personal experiences. Hancock makes a contrast between the traditional cultural values and practices centered around visionary states of consciousness with the values and practices of the modern industrial world.

The TEDx event was titled “Visions for Transition: Challenging existing paradigms and redefining values (for a more beautiful world)”. The event was intended to be paradigm-busting, but apparently Hancock wasn’t conservative enough in his message, because his TED talk got banned and removed from their website and their Youtube channel.

Hancock gave an impassioned description of shamanic spirituality as an effective healing discipline offering to reconnect the disenchanted with the experiential world of “spirit”. Our modern industrial establishments have denied, ignored, and demonized such states of consciousness as meaningless, aberrant, or otherwise pathological alterations of normal brain functioning.

This treatment by Western establishments, Hancock mentions, is related to the value it places in what he calls the “alert problem-solving state of consciousness”, one that’s good for “the more mundane aspects of science, the prosecution of warfare, commerce, politics”. However, as Hancock mentions, the over-investment in such a state has failed us, given the inequality, destruction, and pollution that has resulted. Here is the video:

[video=youtube;Y0c5nIvJH7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y0c5nIvJH7w[/video]

In a podcast Hancock did with Joe Rogan after the was banned from TED, he mentioned that TED accused his talk of being “pseudoscientific” because he claimed that DMT allowed you to come into contact with ancient cultures, even though Graham claimed nothing of the sort. Graham concludes that he believes that the scientific community has a stigma towards altered states of consciousness, especially when these altered states threaten the materialistic worldview and consumerist philosophy, and that they dismissed the video before even watching it.

Yet even during the presentation, Hancock doesn’t go overboard in making assumptions about the true nature of consciousness and the entities people seem to often encounter during ayahuasca and other psychedelic experiences, clearly stating: ”I am making no claim one way or another as to the reality status of these entities we encounter” and “it could be that the brain generates consciousness the way a generator makes electricity — if you hold to that paradigm, then of course you can’t believe in life after death, when the generator is broken, consciousness is gone.”

Two outspoken atheist professors of biology were apparently amongst those who complained. Later the video, along with Rupert Sheldrake’s (also removed), was posted to the blog section of the TED website after a certain amount of criticism was received for the apparent censorship move by TED. All of the claims made against Hancock by TED, a combination of factually incorrect and biased perspectives, were addressed and dismissed by Hancock in a reply he sent to them.

“Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap. Lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination. For in a civilization equipped with immense technological power, the sense of alienation between man and nature leads to the use of technology in a hostile spirit–to the “conquest” of nature instead of ntelligent co-operation with nature.” — Alan Watts

1. Tour inner essence: Words, thoughts, actions, ambitions, convictions, all mean nothing unless they spring from that certain inner essence called the Supermind. Honey contains sugar, flavor, color, liquid, but if you mix these ingredients you will not get honey. The essence of honey is required.

2. Self-unity: The self-united man easily accomplishes that which the self-divided man finds difficult or impossible. Inner unity expands our achievements in all areas of living. We are no longer harvesters who pick one grape at a time; we take them by the bunch.

3. Leave yourself alone: If you do not identify with a physical defect,that is, if you do not see it as part of the essential you, it is the same as if it did not exist. Psychologically, it does not exist and, therefore, cannot bother you. So stop nagging at yourself; leave yourself alone. The reverse of the Golden Rule is equally valuable: Do unto yourself as you would have others do unto you.

4. The wonderful truths: Beyond the terrible facts about human beings, reside the wonderful truths. But no man ever has or ever will find the wonderful truths without first facing the terrible facts. We find our heaven by experiencing fully and without resistance, what we assume is our hell.

5. Correcting blunders: You can take the sting out of your mistakes by realizing that you make them because you wrongly assumed that your action was right or necessary. Operating from a false notion, you received a false effect. But now, by operating from the Supermind, everything can be different.

6. The mystery of hope: Never hold your hopes in reserve. Dare to exhaust them completely, the sooner the better, for they keep you tense.Have you noticed the anxiety in hope? Human hope is not comforting;it is subtle slavery. Beyond shattered hopes is what you really want. In that true life there is no need to hope. You don’t hope for the sun on a bright day.

7. How insight works: When you do something because you first see something, your action is right. In fact, the seeing is the doing. When you solve this mystery, life will never again have a sorry sense of sameness.

8. Avoid distractions: Don’t take side trips–that is, pay no attention to useless items, like traditions and popular opinions. It is also useless to wonder whether you can make it or not; keep trying. It is pointless to chase from one teaching to another; seek within yourself. Never mind what other people do with their lives; do what is right for you.

9. The richer life: The greater distance a man is from the truth, the more he will be indifferent or hostile to it, though he may give public lip service to it. The closer one is to the truth the more he welcomes it.Spiritually speaking, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

10. Sailing forward: Just as a ship sails through opposing winds by setting its sail at a certain angle, so can we, by right insight, sail through all seeming opposition. Forget opposition. Remember insight.

Suffering humanity is like a group of people living alongside a raging river that threatens to overflow its banks.
One man says, “I’ll escape by staying in my home and occupying myself with my stamp collection.” Another thinks, “I’ll escape by getting involved in a love affair.” A third believes, “The river won’t get me if I go around doing good things for other people.”

All miss the point. So does mankind. The flood is within. That is the only place for our attention and effort.
Anything else is dangerous distraction, like looking in one direction but walking in another.

What should you do when suffering a loss of any kind, whether of spouse, friend, popularity, comfort, happiness or anything at all? The first impulse is to escape the heartache by chasing after a replacement for whatever you lost. You miss the pleasure and the sense of security it gave you. Having lost the familiar, you now seek something else you hope will become equally familiar and comforting.

This is all wrong. Sooner or later, it will leave you in even deeper despair. Even the pursuit itself is frightening. With some quiet self-observation you can detect the increased anxiety brought about by an attempt to escape anxiety.

What you then must do is really very simple, though at first it will seem difficult because it goes against all your habitual reaction to loss. You must face your new and unfamiliar situation with a sense of wonderment. Think, “How strange. Here I am, perplexed and worried. That is my state–perplexed, worried and empty. No hope, no expectations, no comfort. Well, what a new and interesting experience.
I will remain with this state and not run away, in order to listen to its story.”
In this state of pure wonderment, you make possible a miracle of transformation.
Exterior conditions may change or they may not, but that is unimportant. The miracle does not occur in the Outer World, but in the Inner World. You are the miracle. And then, there is never again any such thing as loss. There is only change, which is Reality, which is happiness.

There is a special kind of suffering encountered by the man or woman who deeply wishes to snap the spell of psychic sleep. It is the “dark night of the soul” frequently mentioned in esoteric literature.
It begins when we first sense our pretensions and our emptiness. Having come consciously face to face with our own fakery, we shudder. We feel naked, alone, on the brink of disaster. This is a critical point which we must and can pass beyond. We do so simply by remaining with the emptiness and not fleeing back to our shaky shelters of external authorities, smooth words or crowded places.

It is only from our emptiness that we can learn anything new. But first we must become conscious; yes, painfully conscious of that vacancy. Pretense of fullness bars progress. But by living with the inner void, wondering at it in spite of our shudders, it fills itself by itself with new insight and peace. With that, sorrow ends.

Lol...well, you know if you slowed it down and played it on a pipe organ (minus the drums) it could be a church hymn...as could just about anything...there is a standard pattern behind it all showing us something.
We should pay attention.

Yeah, doing that changes it though. It won't be the same vibrations and frequencies anymore if it's on the organ. And taking out the percussion would change the color of the notes that play over and under the percussion.

Which is kind of the point I was making - every piece is unique and not only for its composition.

Edit:
Or basically I'm talking about the phenomena that makes a nylon guitar note sound different from a steel guitar note even though it's the same pitch.

Last edited:

Psychoacoustic evidence
Often, listeners can identify an instrument, even at different pitches and loudness, in different environments, and with different players. In the case of the clarinet, acoustic analysis shows waveforms irregular enough to suggest three instruments rather than one. David Luce (1963, 16) suggests that this implies that, "Certain strong regularities in the acoustic waveform of the above instruments must exist which are invariant with respect to the above variables." However, Robert Erickson argues that there are few regularities and they do not explain our "...powers of recognition and identification." He suggests borrowing the concept of subjective constancy from studies of vision and visual perception (Erickson 1975, 11).

Psychoacoustic experiments from the 1960s onwards tried to elucidate the nature of timbre. One method involves playing pairs of sounds to listeners, then using a multidimensional scaling algorithm to aggregate their dissimilarity judgments into a timbre space. The most consistent outcomes from such experiments are that brightness or spectral energy distribution (Grey 1977), and the bite, or rate and synchronicity (Wessel 1979) and rise time (Lakatos 2000), of the attack are important factors.

Proof that Group Meditation can Change the World

group-meditation-e1386987713101.jpg

Meditation has the potential to literally transform the world. In 1978, what is known as the “Maharishi Effect” took place when a group of 7000 individuals over the course of 3 weeks were meditating in hopes of positively effecting the surrounding city. They were able to literally transform the collective energy of the city which reduced global crime rates, violence, and casualties during the times of their meditation by an average of 16%. Suicide rates and automobile accidents also were reduced with all variables accounted for. In fact, there was a 72% reduction in terrorist activity during the times at which this group was meditation.

Almost 50 studies have been done further confirming the benefits of global meditation and it’s direct impact on everything in the world, even so far as to have the results published in the Journal of Crime and Justice in 1981. We know meditation has endless health and psychological benefits, but it is now being explored by politics and sociology because of its undeniable energetic impact.

For example, a day-by-day study of a two-month assembly in Israel during August and September of 1983 showed that, on days when the number of participants at a peace-creating assembly was high, the intensity of an ongoing war in neighboring Lebanon decreased sharply. When the number of participants was high, war deaths in Lebanon dropped by 76%.

When the study was repeated in Wales, they got amazing results. In 1987 Merseyside had the third highest crime rate of the eleven largest Metropolitan Areas in England and Wales; by 1992 it had the lowest crime rate. 40% below levels predicted by the previous behaviour of the series. There were 255,000 less crimes in Merseyside from 1988 to 1992 than would have been expected had Merseyside continued to follow the national crime trend.

The secret of the Global Maharishi Effect is the phenomenon known to Physics as the ‘Field Effect’, the effect of coherence and positivity produced from the field of infinite correlation–the self-referral field of least excitation of consciousness–the field of Transcendental Consciousness, which is basic to creation and permeates all life everywhere. Meditation takes your consciousness to the implicate levels of existence where your intentions have consequential effects on the explicate level that we interact with before it even manifests. Consciousness gives rise to the material. The key idea is that all of existence emanates out of a field of universal consciousness, called the Unified Field or Super String Field.

“I think the claim can be plausibly made that the potential impact of this research exceeds that of any other ongoing social or psychological research program. It has survived a broader array of statistical tests than most research in the field of conflict resolution. This work and the theory that informs it deserve the most serious consideration by academics and policy makers alike.” – David Edwards Ph.D., Professor of Government, University of Texas at Austin.
This effect is still ripe with investigation to this day. The power of ground meditation:

[video=youtube;lNZXimxJ1qM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lNZXimxJ1qM[/video]

Sources:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J076v36n01_12#.UqFl2ZFtdFJ
http://maharishi-programmes.globalgoodnews.com/maharishi-effect/
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10683169608409775
http://www.permanentpeace.org/evidence/war.html
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J076v36n01_12#.UqFl2ZFtdFJ

I have been meaning to post something about this guy’s NDE...some have called him a big fake, you can judge for yourself..here’s a pretty good article and video I found about him...enjoy!

Readers Join Doctor’s Journey to the Afterworld’s Gates
By Jennifer Taylor for The New York Times

For years Dr. Eben Alexander III had dismissed near-death revelations of God and heaven as explainable by the hard wiring of the human brain. He was, after all, a neurosurgeon with sophisticated medical training.

Dr. Eben Alexander III

But then in 2008 Dr. Alexander contracted bacterial meningitis. The deadly infection soaked his brain and sent him into a deep coma.
During that week, as life slipped away, he now says, he was living intensely in his mind. He was reborn into a primitive mucky Jell-o-like substance and then guided by “a beautiful girl with high cheekbones and deep blue eyes” on the wings of a butterfly to an “immense void” that is both “pitch black” and “brimming with light” coming from an “orb” that interprets for an all-loving God.

Dr. Alexander, 58, was so changed by the experience that he felt compelled to write a book, “Proof of Heaven,” that recounts his experience. He knew full well that he was gambling his professional reputation by writing it, but his hope is that his expertise will be enough to persuade skeptics, particularly medical skeptics, as he used to be, to open their minds to an afterworld.

Dr. Alexander acknowledged that tales of near-death experiences that reveal a bright light leading to compassionate world beyond are as old as time and by now seem trite. He is aware that his version of heaven is even more psychedelic than most — the butterflies, he explained, were not his choice, and anyway that was his “gateway” and not heaven itself.

Still, he said, he has a trump card: Having trained at Duke University and taught and practiced as a surgeon at Harvard, he knows brain science as well as anyone. And science, he said, cannot explain his experience.
“During my coma my brain wasn’t working improperly,” he writes in his book. “It wasn’t working at all.”
Simon & Schuster, which released the book on Oct. 23, is betting that it can appeal to very different but potentially lucrative audiences: those interested in neuroscience and those interested in mystical experiences. Already Dr. Alexander has been a guest on “The Dr. Oz Show” and is scheduled to appear as the sole guest of an hourlong special with Oprah Winfrey on Sunday.

“This book covers topics that are of interest to a lot of people: consciousness, near death, and heaven,” said Priscilla Painton, the executive editor at Simon & Schuster, who acquired the book.
The company took the unusual step of releasing the book in hardcover, paperback and e-book format, so it could simultaneously sell to a wider range of readers — at Walmarts and grocery stores as well as independent bookstores and online. It rose instantly to No. 1 on The New York Times’s paperback best-seller list and is there again for next week.

Ms. Painton would not elaborate on what type of audience the book had attracted so far, but she did say she expected it to continue to be a big seller. The publisher has printed nearly one million copies, combined hardcover and paperback, to be snapped up at airports and as stocking stuffers at big retailers like Target. Another 78,000 digital copes have been sold.

In a recent interview at the Algonquin Hotel lobby in Manhattan, however, Dr. Alexander made it clear that he was less interested in appealing to religious “believers,” even though they had been a core audience for similar books.
He rejected the idea that readers of his book would be the same as those who bought “Heaven Is for Real,” a 2010 mega best-seller about a preacher’s son who sat on Jesus’ lap during a near-death experience.

“It is totally different,” he insisted. “Those who believed in heaven when they read the book were not happy. They didn’t like the title. They say, ‘This is not scientific proof.’ ”
In fact, he said, “Proof of Heaven” was not his idea for a title. He preferred “An N of One,” a reference to medical trials in which there is only a single patient.
Wearing a yellow bow tie, Dr. Alexander talked about his career and his years at Harvard, sounding every bit the part of a doctor one might trust to drill open skulls and manipulate their contents.

He left Harvard in 2001, he said, because he was tired of “medical politics.” In 2006 he moved to Lynchburg, Va., where he did research on less invasive forms of brain surgery through focused X-rays and digital scanners. Then the meningitis felled him.
After recovering, he originally planned to write a scientific paper that would explain his intensely vivid recollections. But after consulting the existing literature and talking extensively to other colleagues in the field he decided no scientific explanation existed.

“My entire neocortex — the outer surface of the brain, the part that makes us human — was entirely shut down, inoperative,” he said.
He hesitated nevertheless. It took him two years, he said, to even use the word God in discussing his experience. But then he felt an obligation to all those dealing with near-death experience, and particularly to his fellow doctors. He felt compelled to let them know.

So far he has spoken at the Lynchburg hospital, where he was treated, and said he has been invited to address a group of neurosurgeons at Stanford.
But these invitations, he acknowledged, do not mean that his theory is gaining ground among doctors. In private conversations, he said, very few of his colleagues offered counterarguments. Some agreed with his conclusion that science could not explain what he saw, but none of them were willing to be named in his book.
Other former colleagues reached for comment were not convinced. Dr. Martin Samuels, chairman of the neurology department at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, a Harvard teaching affiliate, remembered Dr. Alexander as a competent neurosurgeon. But he said: “There is no way to know, in fact, that his neocortex was shut down. It sounds scientific, but it is an interpretation made after the fact.”

“My own experience,” Dr. Samuels added, “is that we all live in virtual reality, and the brain is the final arbiter. The fact that he is a neurosurgeon is no more relevant than if he was a plumber.”
Dr. Alexander shrugs off such analysis. He still hopes to tour “major medical centers and hospices and nursing homes,” he said, to relate his experience in distinctly medical environments.
His messages to those who deal with dying is one of relief. “Our spirit is not dependent on the brain or body,” he said. “It is eternal, and no one has one sentence worth of hard evidence that it isn’t.”

[video=youtube_share;QOSb3G53HsA]http://youtu.be/QOSb3G53HsA[/video]

Last edited:
Years ago, I encountered shadow people pretty regularly at night, along with sleep paralysis. It went on for a while and it really took a toll on me physically and emotionally. I was afraid to sleep in my apartment alone because it was happening so frequently. I would keep myself up all night and suffer the next day.

I can most certainly say that it was not my imagination, but I can see how someone who hasn't experienced something of this nature would think so.

The next time you see a shadow person you punch it in the face and rip its ass apart and make it a shadow of a shadow person [MENTION=4459]Sensiko[/MENTION] fuck shadow people how dare they interrupt your sleep

Back