Merkabah | Page 73 | INFJ Forum
What Should We Do with Our Visions of Heaven—and Hell?

By John Horgan

Is heaven real? Eben Alexander thinks so.
He is a neurosurgeon who learned his craft at Duke and honed it at Harvard.

In 2008 he fell into a coma, his brain infected by bacterial meningitis.
He emerged from the coma with memories of a fantastical adventure, during which he rode on a butterfly beside an angelic blue-eyed girl into “an immense void, completely dark, infinite in size, yet also infinitely comforting.”

In Proof of Heaven (Simon and Schuster, 2012), his bestselling book about his experience, Alexander claims to have learned that “God and the soul are real and that death is not the end of personal existence but only a transition.”

In a cover story he wrote for NEWSWEEK and in an interview with The New York Times, Alexander sounds intelligent and sincere but a tad short on self-doubt.

Pulling his rank as a neurologist, he insists that what he experienced must have been “real,” because during his coma his neo-cortex was completely “shut down” and “there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent.”

Absolutely no way?
Really?

As Martin Samuel, who heads Alexander’s former department at Harvard, tells The Times, “There is no way to know, in fact, that his neo-cortex was shut down.
It sounds scientific, but it is an interpretation made after the fact.”

I understand why skeptics like biologist P.Z. Myers deride Alexander’s claims as “bullshit,” but I can’t dismiss them so easily.
I’m fascinated by mystical experiences, so much so that I wrote a book about them, Rational Mysticism (Houghton Mifflin, 2003), from which I’ve drawn some of the material that follows.

Many people conclude, as Alexander did, that their experiences revealed Ultimate Reality, God, whatever.
The problem is that different people discover radically different Absolute Truths.

In The Varieties of Religious Experience, more than a century old and still the best book ever written on mysticism, psychologist William James described experiences, like Alexander’s, that revealed a loving, immortal spirit at the heart of existence.

But James emphasized that some mystics have perceived absolute reality as terrifyingly alien, uncaring and meaningless.
James called these visions “melancholic” or “diabolical.”
James himself had at least one such vision, a kind of cosmic panic attack.

One mystical expert I interviewed, German psychologist Adolf Dittrich, told me that mystical visions–whether induced by trauma, drugs, meditation, hypnosis, sensory deprivation or other means–fall into three broad categories, or “dimensions.”

Borrowing a phrase that Freud used to describe mystical experiences, Dittrich called the first dimension “oceanic boundlessness.”
This is the classic blissful experience reported by Alexander and many other mystics, in which you feel yourself dissolving into some benign higher power.

Dittrich labeled the second dimension “dread of ego dissolution.”
This is the classic “bad trip,” in which your self-dissolution is accompanied not by bliss but by negative emotions, ranging from mild uneasiness to full-blown terror.

You think you are going insane, disintegrating, dying, and all of reality may be dying with you.
Dittrich’s third dimension, “visionary restructuralization,” consists of more explicit hallucinations, ranging from abstract, kaleidoscopic images to elaborate dream-like narratives.

Dittrich referred to these three dimensions as “heaven, hell and visions.”

During a drug trip in 1981, I experienced all three dimensions described by Dittrich.
The trip occurred in early summer, just after I had finished my junior year of college.

I had left my apartment in New York City to visit friends in suburban Connecticut.
One of these friends, whom I’ll call Stan, was a psychedelic enthusiast with an unusual connection: a chemist who investigated psychotropic drugs for a defense contractor in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.

The chemist had recently given Stan a thimble’s worth of beige powder that was supposedly similar to LSD.*

One morning we each ingested about a matchhead-worth, a dose that Stan’s friend had recommended.
Within a half hour, I felt as though a volcano was erupting within me.

Sitting on a lawn, barely holding myself upright, I told Stan that I feared I had taken an overdose.
Stan, who for some reason was less affected by the compound, tried to calm me down.

Everything would be fine, he said; I should just relax and go with the experience.
As Stan murmured reassuringly, his eyeballs exploded from their sockets, trailed by crimson streamers.

That was my last contact with external reality for almost twenty-four hours.
Stan and a couple of friends whose help he enlisted told me later that during this period I was completely unresponsive to them, although they could with some difficulty move me about.

For the most part I lay or sat quietly, staring into space.
Occasionally I flailed about, raving, grunting or emitting other peculiar sounds.

For a while I stuck my arms out and hissed like a five-year-old boy pretending to be a jet-fighter: “Fffffffffffffff!”
My expressions tended toward extremes: beatific, enraged, terrified, lewd.

Occasionally I furiously clawed holes in the lawn.
My eyes were for the most part wide open, the pupils dilated to the rim.

My companions said I never seemed to blink, even when particles of dirt from my excavations were visible on my eyeballs.

Subjectively, I was immersed in a visionary phantasmagoria.
I became an amoeba, an antelope, a lion devouring the antelope, an ape man squatting on a savannah, an Egyptian queen, Adam and Eve, an old man and woman on a porch watching an eternal sunset.

At some point, I attained a kind of lucidity, like a dreamer who realizes he’s dreaming.
With a surge of power and exaltation, I realized that this is my creation, my cosmos, and I can do anything I like with it.

I decided to pursue pleasure, pure pleasure, as far as it would take me.
I became a bliss-seeking missile accelerating through an obsidian ether, shedding incandescent sparks, and the faster I flew, the brighter the sparks burned, the more exquisite was my rapture.

This was probably when I was making the “fffffff” noise.

After eons of superluminal ecstasy, I decided that I wanted not pleasure but knowledge.
I wanted to know why.

I traveled backward through time, observing the births and lives and deaths of all creatures that have ever lived, human and non-human.
I ventured into the future, too, watching as the Earth and then the entire cosmos was transformed into a vast grid of luminous circuitry, a computer dedicated to solving the riddle of its own existence.

Yes, I became the Singularity!
Before the term was even coined!

As my penetration of the past and future became indistinguishable, I became convinced that I was coming face to face with the ultimate origin and destiny of existence, which were one and the same.

I felt overwhelming, blissful certainty that there is one entity, one consciousness, playing all the parts of this pageant, and there is no end to this creative consciousness, only infinite transformations.

At the same time, my astonishment that anything exists at all became unbearably acute.
Why?

I kept asking.
Why creation?
Why something rather than nothing?

Finally I found myself alone, a disembodied voice in the darkness, asking, Why?
And I realized that there would be, could be, no answer, because only I existed; there was nothing, no one, to answer me.

I felt overwhelmed with loneliness, and my ecstatic recognition of the improbability–no, impossibility–of my existence mutated into horror.
I knew there was no reason for me to be.

At any moment I might be swallowed up, forever, by this infinite darkness enveloping me.
I might even bring about my own annihilation simply by imagining it; I created this world, and I could end it, forever.

Recoiling from this confrontation with my own awful solitude and omnipotence, I felt myself disintegrating.

I awoke from this nightmarish trip convinced that I had discovered the secret of existence.

There is a God, but He is not the omnipotent, loving God in Whom so many people have faith.
Far from it.

He’s totally nuts, crazed with fear of his own existential plight.
In fact, God created this wondrous, pain-wracked world to distract Himself from his cosmic identity crisis.

He suffers from a severe case of multiple-personality disorder, and we are the shards of His fractured psyche.
Since then, I have found hints of this theology in Gnosticism, the Kabbalah and the writings of Nietzsche, Jung and Borges.

So which mystical visions should we believe?
The heavenly, blissful ones, like Alexander’s, or the hellish ones, like mine?

Or are both somehow true?
The reasonable answer is: None of the above.

The sensible, skeptical part of me knows that I was projecting my own fearful nihilism onto the universe, just as Alexander, a Christian, projected his yearnings.

Our experiences were delusions brought about by aberrational brain states. The differences between our experiences—like the differences between our dreams–can be explained by our different backgrounds and personalities.

But another part of me is dissatisfied with this dismissal.
My drug-induced visions possessed a mythical, archetypal quality that my dreams lack.

The visions seemed not absurd and meaningless, like most of my dreams, but almost too meaningful.
They seemed too artful—too laden with metaphorical and metaphysical significance—to be the products of my puny, personal brain.

I felt as though I had left my individual mind behind and traveled into another, much more expansive realm.
Alexander clearly feels the same way about his visions.

For the most part, I’m a hard-core materialist, but my experience—and those reported by Alexander and others—makes me suspect that our minds have untapped depths that conventional science cannot comprehend.

And although I’ve reluctantly abandoned my neurotic-deity theology, I have an abiding sense of reality’s profound weirdness and improbability.
What William James said in Varieties still holds true:

“Our normal waking consciousness, rational consciousness as we call it, is but one special type of consciousness, whilst all about it, parted from it by the filmiest of screens, there lie potential forms of consciousness entirely different.

We may go through life without suspecting their existence; but apply the requisite stimulus, and at a touch they are there in all their completeness… No account of the universe in its totality can be final which leaves these other forms of consciousness quite disregarded… [T]hey forbid our premature closing of accounts with reality.”

Let me ask you skeptics this:
If scientists invented a technology—a drug or brain-stimulating device–that could safely induce a mystical experience, wouldn’t you seize that opportunity?

Wouldn’t you like to see heaven, even if you don’t believe in it?

[*After hearing me describe this drug’s effects, Harvard psychologist John Halpern, an authority on psychedelics, guessed it was 3-quinuclidin-3-yl benzylate, otherwise known BZ, or an analog thereof.
BZ is a potent hallucinogen developed as a chemical "incapacitant" by the U.S. Army in the 1950's.

Although BZ was apparently never deployed, the Army stockpiled canisters of the drug through at least the early 1970's, when President Richard Nixon ordered the stockpiles destroyed.
Whatever the drug I took was, I don't recommend it.]
This is getting closer....

Consider that each moment in time is a universe in and of itself. Imagine all movement stops around you but that you can still move. Do you not still have an entire universe to explore and experience? What if in death the conciouness is freed into a place like this even though the body dies. Though time on this plain moves on without you, it is still only one aspect of movement. ...

This is getting closer....

Consider that each moment in time is a universe in and of itself. Imagine all movement stops around you but that you can still move. Do you not still have an entire universe to explore and experience? What if in death the conciouness is freed into a place like this even though the body dies. Though time on this plain moves on without you, it is still only one aspect of movement. ...
Well, the thing I find really interesting about the story of this guy’s trip…was the ego-disassociation that is experienced with such psychedelic experiences…you no longer feel just as an individual…but part of the whole.
Isn’t that kind of what everyone seeks for most if not all of their life - to belong somewhere?
As a kid (hopefully not as an adult) you tried to belong to this group or that one…and if you were an INFJ that didn’t work so well for you. Then as you get older, people ry to keep up with the Jones’s…but more than that…people seek out a spouse, have children, make significant connections of “belonging”.
Then we must consider those who seek belonging via religion or spirituality…isn’t the reassurance of there being a God make one feel secure…that no matter what you “belong” to God. It’s like emotional gravity that wills our spirit to connect…because we are all just bags of matter…dust spins into suns….which explode after billions of years shooting matter into space and creating everything else including “us”.
So why wouldn’t it be our nature to make connections with one another? Even atoms on the smallest scale group together rather than remain alone.
To me, the above story resonates more with the side of me that believes in an after-life…I think it was possible that he left his body yet remained connected even across the universe or beyond. DMT has been shown to make the person taking it to feel that ego-disassociation…that out of body feeling…the connection to everything. What if it isn’t just them tripping on drugs but the drug is a key to “unlock” your psyche and allow your soul to escape for a while?
*shrug* Just a thought.

Well, the thing I find really interesting about the story of this guy’s trip…was the ego-disassociation that is experienced with such psychedelic experiences…you no longer feel just as an individual…but part of the whole.
Isn’t that kind of what everyone seeks for most if not all of their life - to belong somewhere?
As a kid (hopefully not as an adult) you tried to belong to this group or that one…and if you were an INFJ that didn’t work so well for you. Then as you get older, people ry to keep up with the Jones’s…but more than that…people seek out a spouse, have children, make significant connections of “belonging”.
Then we must consider those who seek belonging via religion or spirituality…isn’t the reassurance of there being a God make one feel secure…that no matter what you “belong” to God. It’s like emotional gravity that wills our spirit to connect…because we are all just bags of matter…dust spins into suns….which explode after billions of years shooting matter into space and creating everything else including “us”.
So why wouldn’t it be our nature to make connections with one another? Even atoms on the smallest scale group together rather than remain alone.
To me, the above story resonates more with the side of me that believes in an after-life…I think it was possible that he left his body yet remained connected even across the universe or beyond. DMT has been shown to make the person taking it to feel that ego-disassociation…that out of body feeling…the connection to everything. What if it isn’t just them tripping on drugs but the drug is a key to “unlock” your psyche and allow your soul to escape for a while?
*shrug* Just a thought.
Interesting association. I never thought that much about "grouping" to that extent. Cant grouping be extrapolated further to include "order"?

Interesting association. I never thought that much about "grouping" to that extent. Cant grouping be extrapolated further to include "order"?
Perhaps that is part of some cosmic “order”…yes, I mean if something is predisposed to behave in a certain way either by the laws of physics or other programing.
But it’s also chaos with an underlying current of mathematics…it’s beyond our comprehension to make sense of it as humans yet I think.
We don’t have a full picture of anything yet really. We can’t even say for sure what is going on on the surface of some of our nearest planets, much less, the distant universe or universes beyond our own.
The good news is we will all die before we know it and find out one way or another.
There is either instant blackness and no consciousness, or, there is something more and it will be revealed to us then.
I honestly view the human race and our existence and part of the consciousness of the universe…we are the universe thinking and experiencing itself….trying to figure out it’s own existence and it's reasons for being. Each one of us like a single neuron amongst billions of trillions perhaps…spread across the universe.

Last edited:
Saw this today, and thought of you [MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]

I think this is an interesting example of our mind. I think this is important stuff in understanding how our mind shifts during disease, and how that changes our perception of the world and ourselves. I think researchers and practitioners could learn a lot from these images! And even if they can't, it's just a pretty interesting story!

***********************************************************************************

Alzheimer-Suffering Artist Drew His Self-Portrait for Five Years until He Forgot How to Draw
Source: http://www.odditycentral.com/art/al...r-five-years-until-he-forgot-how-to-draw.html

When American artist William Utermohlen was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 1995, he decided to make the best use of his limited time and memory. He began to use his art to understand himself better – for five years, he drew portraits of himself before he completely forgot how to draw.

Through this unique series of self-portraits, viewers can observe the London-based artist’s quiet descent into dementia. As the terrible disease took control of his mind, his world began to tilt and his perspectives flattened. The details in his paintings melted away and they became more abstract. At times, he seemed aware of the technical flaws in his work, but he simply could not figure out how to correct them.

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer-550x350.jpg

“The spacial sense kept slipping, and I think he knew,” said Patricia Utermohlen, William’s wife and a professor of art history. “In these pictures we see with heart-breaking intensity William’s efforts to explain his altered self, his fears and his sadness. Even the time he was beginning to be ill, he was always drawing, every minute of the day.”

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer2-550x541.jpg

According to Dr. Bruce Miller, a neurologist at the University of California, “Alzheimer’s affects the right parietal lobe in particular, which is important for visualizing something internally and then putting it onto a canvas. The art becomes more abstract, the images are blurrier and vague, more surrealistic. Sometimes there’s use of beautiful, subtle color.”

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer3-550x594.jpg

The paintings were later studied by a psychoanalyst, who wrote that they depicted sadness, anxiety, resignation and feelings of shame.

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer4-550x578.jpg

William stopped painting in the year 2000, when he was moved to a nursing home. He remained there until his death in 2007, at the age of 74. Ironically, his work received more recognition after he had ceased to dra, than it ever did when he was at the heights of his career. His self-portraits and other paintings have been exhibited in many cities around the world.

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer5-550x576.jpg

“He’s always been the outsider,” said Patricia. “He was never quite in the same time slot with what was going on. It’s so strange to be known for something you’re doing when you’re rather ill. I say he died in 2000, because he died when he couldn’t draw anymore. He actually died in 2007, but it wasn’t him by then.”

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer6-550x562.jpg

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer7-550x584.jpg

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer8-550x618.jpg

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer9-550x621.jpg

Saw this today, and thought of you @Skarekrow

I think this is an interesting example of our mind. I think this is important stuff in understanding how our mind shifts during disease, and how that changes our perception of the world and ourselves. I think researchers and practitioners could learn a lot from these images! And even if they can't, it's just a pretty interesting story!

***********************************************************************************

Alzheimer-Suffering Artist Drew His Self-Portrait for Five Years until He Forgot How to Draw

Source: http://www.odditycentral.com/art/al...r-five-years-until-he-forgot-how-to-draw.html

When American artist William Utermohlen was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 1995, he decided to make the best use of his limited time and memory. He began to use his art to understand himself better – for five years, he drew portraits of himself before he completely forgot how to draw.

Through this unique series of self-portraits, viewers can observe the London-based artist’s quiet descent into dementia. As the terrible disease took control of his mind, his world began to tilt and his perspectives flattened. The details in his paintings melted away and they became more abstract. At times, he seemed aware of the technical flaws in his work, but he simply could not figure out how to correct them.

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer-550x350.jpg

“The spacial sense kept slipping, and I think he knew,” said Patricia Utermohlen, William’s wife and a professor of art history. “In these pictures we see with heart-breaking intensity William’s efforts to explain his altered self, his fears and his sadness. Even the time he was beginning to be ill, he was always drawing, every minute of the day.”

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer2-550x541.jpg

According to Dr. Bruce Miller, a neurologist at the University of California, “Alzheimer’s affects the right parietal lobe in particular, which is important for visualizing something internally and then putting it onto a canvas. The art becomes more abstract, the images are blurrier and vague, more surrealistic. Sometimes there’s use of beautiful, subtle color.”

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer3-550x594.jpg

The paintings were later studied by a psychoanalyst, who wrote that they depicted sadness, anxiety, resignation and feelings of shame.

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer4-550x578.jpg

William stopped painting in the year 2000, when he was moved to a nursing home. He remained there until his death in 2007, at the age of 74. Ironically, his work received more recognition after he had ceased to dra, than it ever did when he was at the heights of his career. His self-portraits and other paintings have been exhibited in many cities around the world.

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer5-550x576.jpg

“He’s always been the outsider,” said Patricia. “He was never quite in the same time slot with what was going on. It’s so strange to be known for something you’re doing when you’re rather ill. I say he died in 2000, because he died when he couldn’t draw anymore. He actually died in 2007, but it wasn’t him by then.”

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer6-550x562.jpg

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer7-550x584.jpg

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer8-550x618.jpg

William-Utermohlen-alzheimer9-550x621.jpg

I actually saw this the other day…it is very interesting isn’t it!
It’s amazing what the human mind can and cannot do...in a physical sense of course.

I actually saw this the other day…it is very interesting isn’t it!
It’s amazing what the human mind can and cannot do...in a physical sense of course.

What's weird to me is that some facets of me can draw while others can't. o.o

Moreover some parts are out of this world creative, some are average creative, and some aren't creative at all.

What's weird to me is that some facets of me can draw while others can't. o.o

Moreover some parts are out of this world creative, some are average creative, and some aren't creative at all.

I feel the same way…like, somehow I know if I took the time to learn how to write music, I would be really good at it.
Yes, it’s very hit and miss with me too. I am usually my own worst critic either way though…lol.

10300528_10152613513772264_3510437903208504465_n.jpg

New State Of Matter Discovered in Chicken Eyes

disordered-hyperuniformity.jpg

photo credit: Joseph Corbo and Timothy Lau, Washington University in St. Louis

The retina of the eye is home to rods and a variety of cones, which help the brain perceive color.
When studying the retina of the chicken, researchers found that the five different types of cones are arranged in what is known as “disordered hyperuniformity” and has never before been seen in biology until now.

The research was co-led by Salvatore Torquato and Joseph Corbo and was published in Physical Review E.

When a small section of the pattern is viewed, the position of the individual components (in this case, the different types of cones) appears to be random.

On the large scale, there appears to be more some order to the perceived madness.
This hyperuniform state of matter has been seen before in plasmas and liquid helium (which occurs at -269 degrees C, -450 degrees F) and allows the substance to act both as a crystal and a liquid.

Because the different types of cones are different sizes, this arrangement allows the retina to take on the crystal-like ability of maintaining the density throughout.
However, all of the cones also have the same physical properties, just like a liquid.

Chickens and other birds depend on acute eyesight, which is aided by their five types of photoreceptive cells that are densely packed into the retina.
It is speculated that this ordered arrangement lends to the integrity of the retina while allowing them to perceive light and colors evenly.

Each type of cone has a set pattern that, when viewed individually, appears pretty obvious.
When all of the patterns are put together, it has a very complicated order that is described as a “uniform disarray.”

Each cone appears to have a zone around it which helps space out cones of the same type. This is a multi-hyperuniformity that has not been seen before, and the researchers believe it calls for a new state of matter to be used to describe it.

Beyond just being a neat fact about avian vision, disordered hyperuniformity is used to develop optical circuits which operate or restrict based on certain wavelengths.

Now that this type of patterning has been found in a biological system, the field may be expanded in future research.
Researchers hope that other scientists will go back and reexamine old data to determine if there are more instances of disordered hyperuniformity that may have gone unnoticed.

John Oliver Hilariously Interviews Stephen Hawking

PWTG%20Hawking.jpg

John Oliver, host of “Last Week Tonight” on HBO, recently featured Stephen Hawking for the first installment of the show’s new “People Who Think Good” series.

Right out of the bag, Hawking puts Oliver on his toes, sarcastically agreeing that the interview was “the single greatest honor” that he has ever been given.

Hawking and Oliver discuss the implications of the possibilities of parallel universes, the potential for artificial intelligence to overthrow mankind, and the chances of nuclear annihilation.

Check out the hilarious interview here:

[video=youtube;OPV3D7f3bHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OPV3D7f3bHY[/video]

John Oliver Hilariously Interviews Stephen Hawking

PWTG%20Hawking.jpg

John Oliver, host of “Last Week Tonight” on HBO, recently featured Stephen Hawking for the first installment of the show’s new “People Who Think Good” series.

Right out of the bag, Hawking puts Oliver on his toes, sarcastically agreeing that the interview was “the single greatest honor” that he has ever been given.

Hawking and Oliver discuss the implications of the possibilities of parallel universes, the potential for artificial intelligence to overthrow mankind, and the chances of nuclear annihilation.

Check out the hilarious interview here:

Bahahahahahah!!!! Stephen made me laugh out loud again and again!

10400869_10153126701073986_8149386064529884312_n.jpg

metatron__s_cube_wallpaper-672x372.png

ASCEND ACADEMY: THE ARCHETYPAL ELEMENTS

The Universal Consciousness has manifested itself in a plethora of ways, all of which represent some aspect of it’s infinite and perfect nature.
One of the most archetypal yet physically pervading representations of Source’s vast unfolding personality is the Sacred Geometry known as Metatron’s Cube.

This array (shown as the featured image above the article title) can be viewed as an arrangement of 13 circles (12 around 1) with all of their centers being connected by straight lines (representing the female and male aspects of creation).

What becomes nested in the completed image are 5 very important polygons known as The Platonic Solids, which directly correlate to the 5 Elements.
These 5 shapes are the only structures in our world that all have the same amount of faces and vertices.

The ancient Greeks, including Pythagoras and Plato used to consider them sacred and they as well as Alchemists understood them to be the very structure of physical reality on the microscopic scale.

Even though Metatron’s cube is being viewed in 2D, these polyhedra appear as three dimensional outlines, denoting that the Metatron’s cube can actually be a 3D structure as well. When you imagine what it would be like to turn the image in 3D, you actually see a tesseract folding in on itself, translating to a 4D Hypercube.

The 2D array that we’re viewing is but a shadow of a shadow, revealing hints of the true archetypal form this great tool of creation holds.
With the principle of Correspondence in mind(as above, so below), we understand that this geometry has it’s place on all planes of existence, infusing itself in all forms of experience.

With that being said, we must also understand that the Platonic Solids have their place in all planes as well, represented as Elemental forces in various degrees of manifestation.

Let us delve deeper into these various degrees of Elemental expression so we may further understand the Universe we inhabit and create.

(Information is taken from a variety of sources as well as intuitively gathered.
To explore more about these Platonic Solids from a mathematical point of view, click here.
Also know that the Sense associations are only representative as fractal manifestations and are not the exclusive means to access these energies.)

Earth:
Platonic Solid- Hexahedron (Cube)
# of Faces/Vertices/Edges- 6/8/12
Sense- Touch
Matter- Solids
Sustenance- Food
Gender- Feminine
Qualities- Dry, Cold, Heavy, Passive
Associations- Action, Stability, Foundation, Strength, Prosperity
Great Plane- Physical (Focus 1)

Water:
Platonic Solid- Icosahedron
# of Faces/Vertices/Edges- 20/12/30
Sense- Taste
Matter- Liquids
Sustenance- H20
Gender- Feminine
Qualities- Moist, Cold, Heavy, Passive
Associations- Emotion, Dreams, Fluidity, Dissolution, Cleansing
Great Plane- Mental (Personal) (Focus 2)

Air:
Platonic Solid- Octahedron
# of Faces/Vertices/Edges- 4/8/6
Sense- Smell
Matter- Gas
Sustenance- Oxygen
Gender- Masculine
Qualities- Hot, Moist, Light, Active
Associations- Freedom, Movement, Intellect, Communication, Thought
Great Plane- Mental (Collective) (Focus 3)

Fire:
Platonic Solid- Tetrahedron
# of Faces/Vertices/Edges- 4/4/6
Sense- Sight
Matter- Plasma, Electricity
Sustenance- Light
Gender- Masculine
Qualities- Hot, Dry, Light, Active
Associations- Essence, Expansion, Radiance, Creativity, Purification
Great Plane- Spiritual (Causal) (Focus 4)

Akasha(Aether):
Platonic Solid- Dodecahedron
# of Faces/Vertices/Edges- 12/20/30
Sense- Hearing
Matter- Quanta
Sustenance- Prana (vital energy)
Gender- Neither and Both
Qualities- Omnipresence, Omnipotence, Omniscience
Associations- Unification, Change, Alchemy, Divinity
Great Plane- Spiritual (Pure Infinite Consciousness) (All Foci)

Now that we have a basic understanding of the Elements, I’d like us to look at the cosmological makeup of the Great Physical Plane.
This will reveal a corresponding arrangement relative to that element’s vibrational frequency.

The closest element to our physical bodies is Earth, it is directly under our feet and makes up our physical bodies as well.

Then we have Water, filling up the veins of our bodies and rushing through every vein and valley of the Earth, providing a crucial component to the mediation of nutrients and efficient lubrication for all functions throughout life.

Air then permeates above and around these elements, being inhaled by the majority of lifeforms as an essential form of sustenance and playing an important role in the biosphere’s natural dispersion of temperature, weather, pressure.

Then we have Fire, the Sun, being the center point that these other elements orbit around, providing light (and thus knowledge), the only source of heat (which is essential in this extremely cold vacuum) and energy which is directly absorbed by all life in some manner.
It also heats water so that it will precipitate, rise and create clouds(something to take note of for later spiritual correlations).

Now Aether or Akasha can be viewed as the Dark matter and Vacuum space that exists everywhere, in and around all things, making up 99.99999% of everything.
This is the Quantum Waveform or Zero-Point Field which allows for reality to be created through conscious observation.

It is the Divine Feminine presence manifest.

Some scientists have even found evidence that our universe might be in the shape of a Dodecahedron.
Do you now see how these Elements are all absolutely essential aspects of life and creation?

This is only on the matter aspect of this Great Plane, let’s look deeper into our Energy bodies to see the correlation we can draw there.

Our Root chakra is also considered the Earth chakra, because it’s associated with physical manifestation and action.
It connects directly with the Earth through our feet and other energy pathways.

The Sacral chakra is considered the Water chakra, as it deals with the flow of our emotions and is associated with bodily fluids.

The Solar Plexus chakra is associated with Fire, because it deals with the self image or personal essence, and is said to be a storehouse of powerful will energy.
It also is considered the source of bodily heat.

Here is a mystery that I have been contemplating for some time.
Why are these elements vibrationally aligned in other systems so that Fire comes after Air, but in the human system, Fire comes before Air?

I have meditated on this and asked for guidance, and so far I have learned that even though these elements are aligned the way they are throughout the higher planes, there is a sort of spiraling of energy between certain elements in the way they are directed to manifest as species.

Different combinations of elements create different forms of consciousness expression, being arranged in a way that brings about a certain unique type of spiritual progression for every species.

Our particular expression as a human race is through the progression of ego, self control and will coming before our Nature of freedom, love, intellect and open communication are unlocked in the Heart and Throat Chakras.

Other orders may be different for other species, but we must understand where we are relative to the unfolding Cosmic plan.

Akasha is represented in the Third Eye and Crown chakras as they act as our connection to the Cosmos and the Divine realms of Consciousness.
It connects us to the quantum ocean of possibilities.

Practical Application

When we visualize a Platonic Solid in our minds, especially with the knowledge of their corresponding element, we are subconsciously infusing that thought with an elemental vibration.

Since our thoughts have actual form on a higher plane, this is very practical for doing energy work and all forms of higher dimensional creation.

Because each Element is vibrationally representative of a Focus, we may also use these geometries as conceptual gateways into higher realms of existence.
Using the Cube as a symbolic Gateway will allow you to phase into the Real-Time Zone, while using the Icosahedron will allow you to phase into Focus 2.

The Octahedron will take you to Focus 3, The Tetrahedron and the Star Tetrahedron will take you to Focus 4, and The Dodecahedron will connect you with the Akashic Records or Zero-point Field.

We will be discovering the methods to go about doing this in our next Phase of Mastery.

Another method of invoking these elemental energies is through the use of Mudras or hand positions.
Our fingers can each be associated with an element, as the very 5-ness of our physical bodies is a direct unfolding of the 5 archetypal fractal throughout the planes of existence.

Each limb can be associated with an element as well but there are many interpretations of how these energies can flow.
In most instances, those who believe in their interpretations will be right as the belief structure will direct the flow of these energies in this way.

For now, let’s just focus on agreeing with a default association for the fingers.

The thumb is always Akasha, as when it connects with another finger element, it produces that elemental force through transferring the Prana into it.
From there, it will be Index associated with Air(as it directs mental attention), Middle with Fire(as the human energy system appoints it one lower than air), Ring with Water(as it’s vein connects directly to the heart, allowing it to be most tuned to the bloodstream), and the pinky with Earth(as it is the ‘lowest’ in vibration).

Here’s a quick technique to balance all the elemental energies within you:

Take your thumb and connect it with your pinky, take 5 deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth.
Do the same with your ring finger, then your middle finger, then your index finger.
Then finally, bring all 5 fingers together and take 5 deep breaths. Do this 1-5 times a day, 5 for optimal balance.

Thank you for reading this article, and if you have not read the articles prior to this one, please search Ascend Academy in the search bar, reading bottom to top in succession as you see fit.

New Survey Reveals More Mysteries At Stonehenge

by Stephen Luntz

galleryswstonehenge09cropped.jpg

photo credit: Heritage UK. Stonehenge is surrounded by previously unsuspected monumemnts
Stonehenge, perhaps the world's most famous neolithic monument, is like an iceberg, with unsuspected monuments now revealed beneath the surface.
The discoveries have expanded the range of potential astronomical uses to which the builders could have used the mighty structure.

It has taken four years for The Stonehenge Hidden Landscape Project to reveal 15 potential henges, pits and barrows using ground penetrating radar and 3D laser scanning.

Some of these objects were known to exist beforehand, but little was known about them, while others were completely unexpected.

University of Birmingham archaeologist Professor Vince Gaffney didn't just study the area within the circle and immediate surrounds.
He surveyed 10km2 around the standing stones.

“There was sort of this idea that Stonehenge sat in the middle and around it was effectively an area where people were probably excluded,” Gaffney told The Smithsonian, “a ring of the dead around a special area–to which few people might ever have been admitted....Perhaps there were priests, big men, whatever they were, inside Stonehenge having processions up the Avenue, doing...something extremely mysterious.”

Heritage UK. Stonehenge retains many hidden secrets

Perhaps it is not surprising that the might henge was actually the center of plenty of activity.
The 4-8 tonne bluestones were brought from North Wales, almost 300km away, by methods unknown; an astonishing feat in any circumstances and particularly so if most people were excluded from their destination.

Some of the newly found items, such as burial barrows, started off underground, but others have been covered by the gradual production of soil by earthworms, a process whose operation was demonstrated by Darwin himself at this site.

Heritage UK. Artist's reconstruction of how Stonehenge looked when first completed.

Debate continues as to the purposes for which Stonehenge was built.
One of the finds from the project is a gap in the Cursus, a 3km long structure of parallel banks built 700m north of the henge itself and dated hundreds of years earlier.

This would have allowed access to what Gaffney says was previously thought of as “a bloody great barrier to the north of Stonehenge.”

Gaffney thinks gaps like these were “channels through the landscape” guiding people's movement north and south, probably during rituals.

A huge pit revealed at each end of the Cursus adds to this impression, with a line from the eastern pit to the henge running along the final stretch of The Avenue, along the path the stones were dragged from the River Avon, and along which the sun rises exactly on the summer solstice.

The Stonehenge site's newly revealed layout.

As revealing as the remote technologies have been, Gaffney says “Until you dig holes, you just don't know what you've got.”
Unfortunately, turning one of Britain's favorite venues into an excavation site carries serious risks to both the site itself and its popularity with tourists.

Heritage UK. Stonehenge and surrounding monuments were carefully placed in relation to the sun.

Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay

Theory: Lesbians get it from their fathers, gay men from their mothers.

Has the riddle of human sexuality finally been cracked? A few scientists think so.

Scientists may have finally solved the puzzle of what makes a person gay, and how it is passed from parents to their children.
A group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuals get that trait from their opposite-sex parents: A lesbian will almost always get the trait from her father, while a gay man will get the trait from his mother.

The hereditary link of homosexuality has long been established, but scientists knew it was not a strictly genetic link, because there are many pairs of identical twins who have differing sexualities. Scientists from the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis say homosexuality seems to have an epigenetic, not a genetic link.

Long thought to have some sort of hereditary link, a group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuality is linked to epi-marks – extra layers of information that control how certain genes are expressed. These epi-marks are usually, but not always, "erased" between generations. In homosexuals, these epi-marks aren't erased – they're passed from father-to-daughter or mother-to-son, explains William Rice, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California Santa Barbara and lead author of the study.

"There is compelling evidence that epi-marks contribute to both the similarity and dissimilarity of family members, and can therefore feasibly contribute to the observed familial inheritance of homosexuality and its low concordance between [identical] twins," Rice notes.
Rice and his team created a mathematical model that explains why homosexuality is passed through epi-marks, not genetics. Evolutionarily speaking, if homosexuality was solely a genetic trait, scientists would expect the trait to eventually disappear because homosexuals wouldn't be expected to reproduce. But because these epi-marks provide an evolutionary advantage for the parents of homosexuals: They protect fathers of homosexuals from underexposure to testosterone and mothers of homosexuals from overexposure to testosterone while they are in gestation.

"These epi-marks protect fathers and mothers from excess or underexposure to testosterone – when they carry over to opposite-sex offspring, it can cause the masculinization of females or the feminization of males," Rice says, which can lead to a child becoming gay. Rice notes that these markers are "highly variable" and that only strong epi-marks will result in a homosexual offspring.
Though scientists have long suspected some sort of genetic link, Rice says studies attempting to explain why people are gay have been few and far between.

"Most mainstream biologists have shied away from studying it because of the social stigma," he says. "It's been swept under the rug, people are still stuck on this idea that it's unnatural. Well there are many examples of homosexuality in nature, it's very common." Homosexual behavior has been observed in black swans, penguins, sheep, and other animals, he says.
Rice's model still needs to be tested on real-life parent-offspring pairs, but he says this epigenetic link makes more sense than any other explanation, and that his team has mapped out a way for other scientists to test their work.

"We've found a story that looks really good," he says. "There's more verification needed, but we point out how we can easily do epigenetic profiles genome-wide. We predict where the epi-marks occur, we just need other studies to look at it empirically. This can be tested and proven within six months. It's easy to test. If it's a bad idea, we can throw it away in short order."

"Spooky" Quantum Entanglement Reveals Invisible Objects

In a physics first, a quantum camera captures images with two-colored light that never "saw" the object.

quantum-cats-1_83007_990x742.jpg

These cat outline etchings are normally invisible to the wavelength of light that made the pictures.

Like twins separated at birth who are later reunited, two laser beams revealed invisible objects in a display of their weird quantum connection, researchers reported on Wednesday.

The images, of tiny cats and a trident, are an advance for quantum optics, an emerging physics discipline built on surprising interactions among subatomic particles that Einstein famously called "spooky."

A conventional camera captures light that bounces back from an object. But in the experiment reported in the journal Nature, light particles, or photons, that never strike an object are the ones that produce its picture.

"Even other physicists say 'you can't do that' at first, but that is quantum behavior for you, very strange," says Gabriela Barreto Lemos of the Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information in Vienna, Austria, who led the study.

A 2009 University of Glasgow experiment with a divided laser beam first demonstrated such "ghost imaging." But experts say the new technique, which uses two laser beams of different colors, offers new visualization advantages.

The two laser beams are "entangled" in quantum physics terms, meaning their photons share characteristics even when far apart. So broadly speaking, altering one alters the other.

"What they've done is a very clever trick. In some ways it is magical," says quantum optics expert Paul Lett of the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, Maryland, who was not part of the experiment team. "There is not new physics here, though, but a neat demonstration of physics."

Optics Goes Quantum

The new imaging technique may allow for improved medical imaging or silicon chip lithography in hard-to-see situations, the team suggests.

In medicine, for instance, doctors might probe tissues using invisible wavelengths of light that won't damage cells, while simultaneously using entangled visible light beams to create clear images of the tissues.

"The two-color advantage is a cool idea," Lett says. "It happens a lot in imaging that the best wavelength of light for a probe is not the one that makes for the best picture. You can imagine tuning light colors like this to get the best advantages of both."

In particular, the experiment's approach could create images in visible light of objects that normally can be seen only under infrared light, says quantum optics expert Miles Padgett of Scotland's University of Glasgow, who headed the 2009 "ghost imaging" experiment.

Ironically, the idea of entanglement owes something to Einstein, who in 1935 criticized it as an unlikely (in his view) mathematical shortcoming of quantum physics, which treats subatomic particles as both point-like and as waves.

Manipulating these wavy particles, quantum physics predicted, would alter other seemingly unconnected particles far away. Einstein called this interference (in translation), "spooky action at a distance," which he saw as unlikely.

But it turns out to work.

83006_990x742-cb1409084603.jpg

These cat cutout pictures were created from light particles that never saw the shape.

Undetected Photons

In the new experiment, the physicists entangled photons in two separate laser beams with different wavelengths, and hence color: one yellow and one red.

The team passed the red light beam through etched stencils and into cutouts of tiny cats and a trident, about 0.12 inches (3 millimeters) tall.

The yellow beam traveled on a separate line, never hitting the objects.

What's more, the etched shapes were designed to be invisible to yellow light.

The cat shape is a nod to physicist Erwin Schrödinger, who invented the famous "Schrödinger's cat" paradox, a thought experiment in which a notional cat is simultaneously dead and alive.

Subatomic particles do seem to behave in this peculiar way sometimes, occupying many places at once.

After the red light passed by the objects, the physicists ran it together with the yellow laser beam at both parallel and right angles.

The red light was then discarded, and the yellow light headed for a camera.

There, that yellow light revealed a picture of the object.

And a negative of the picture emerged from the light that had interfered at a right angle.

"The phenomena really arises from the interference of the photons together," Lemos says. "It's not that the red photons have changed the yellow ones, it's that quantum mechanics says they have to share [wavelength] phases which we can detect to see a picture."

Although the experiment team has applied for a patent, Lemos acknowledges that practical applications may take awhile.

"This is a long-standing, really neat experimental idea," says Lett. "Now we have to see whether or not it will lead to something practical, or will remain just a clever demonstration of quantum mechanics."

Freaky Physics Experiment May Prove Our Universe Is A Two-Dimensional Hologram

n-HOLOMETER-large570.jpg

Everyone knows the universe exists in three dimensions, right?
Maybe not.

For some time now serious physicists have been pondering the seemingly absurd possibility that three-dimensional space is merely an illusion--and that we actually live in a two-dimensional "hologram."

And now scientists at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois have launched a mind-blowing experiment to show once and for all what sort of universe we live in.

"We want to find out whether space-time is a quantum system just like matter is," Dr. Craig Hogan, director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics, said in a written statement. "If we see something, it will completely change ideas about space we've used for thousands of years."

According to quantum theory’s uncertainty principle, it's impossible to know both the precise location and the exact velocity of a subatomic particle.

If the same uncertainty principle applies to space as well as to matter, space too should have built-in fluctuations--a.k.a. "quantum jitter" or "holographic noise," according to the statement.

The 21 scientists involved in the experiment will look for the jitter with the help of an exquisitely sensitive device known as a Holometer.

It produces laser beams 200,000 times brighter than a laser pointer and, with the help of an optical technique known as interferometry, measures jitter in the beams as small as a few billionths of a billionth of a meter.

(Story continues below images.)
o-HOLO-570.jpg

A close-up of the Holometer at Fermilab.

o-HOLOMETER-DIAGRAM-570.jpg

The holometer includes two interferometers in 6-inch steel tubes about 40 meters long. Optical systems (not shown here) in each one “recycle” laser light to create a steady, intense laser wave. The outputs of the two photodiodes are correlated to measure holographic jitter.

"If we find a noise we can't get rid of, we might be detecting something fundamental about nature--a noise that is intrinsic to space-time," Dr. Aaron Chou, the experiment's lead scientist and project manager for the Holometer, said in the statement. "It's an exciting moment for physics. A positive result will open a whole new avenue of questioning about how space works."

The prospect of making a discovery that would not only defy common sense but also overturn centuries of scientific thinking has Chou thinking in philosophical, almost mystical terms.

"I have always believed that if indeed there is a creator, then the mechanism by which the world was created is not necessarily unknowable, and if we delve deeply enough we might reach some very interesting and inescapable conclusions," Chou told The Huffington Post in an email. "This topic brings up all sorts of interesting philosophical and theological questions which are perhaps better discussed over a beer or a nice cup of tea.
In the meantime, we scientists have a job to do."

Watch a series of seven brilliant lectures by Richard Feynman

17gy5pbk9hgt7jpg.jpg
EXPAND

Richard Feynman was obviously famous for his work as a physicist, but he's also widely regarded as one of the most lucid and effective lecturers to ever address an audience.

So renowned, so readily accessible were his presentations, that his introductory physics lectures (which he delivered to undergraduates at Caltech) have since been immortalized in the form of a three-volume set called, quite simply, The Feynman Lectures.

The set is a phenomenal resource to anyone with even a passing interest in the physical world and the laws that govern it – but even these lectures cannot capture the essence of what it might have been like to attend a presentation given by Feynman himself.

Fortunately for all of us, in 1964, Feynman delivered a series of seven hour-long lectures at Cornell University.
Those lectures were recorded by the BBC, and in 2009 (with a little help from Bill Gates), they were released to the public.

You'll find all seven of them featured below, but you'll also want to check out the lectures on Microsoft's Project Tuva, where they have been carefully edited to include closed captioning and annotations.

Lecture 1: Law of Gravitation – An Example of Physical Law
[video=youtube;j3mhkYbznBk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j3mhkYbznBk[/video]

Lecture 2: The Relation of Mathematics and Physics
[video=youtube;kd0xTfdt6qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kd0xTfdt6qw[/video]

Lecture 3: The Great Conservation Principles
[video=youtube;r_IfV9fkBhk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r_IfV9fkBhk[/video]

Lecture 4: Symmetry in Physical Law
[video=youtube;zQ6o1cDxV7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zQ6o1cDxV7o[/video]

(Lectures 5 - 8 will be posted immediately after this one as you can only post 4 at a time..thanks)

And now you can also -
Read Richard Feynman's physics lectures for free online

190723qtlyl63png.png
EXPAND

Physicist Richard Feynman was particularly famous for his lectures, which were known for being an engaging and accessible introduction to a number of scientific topics.
Now Volume One of The Feynman Lecturesis available in its entirety online.

Videos of several of Feynman's lectures are already online, but now Caltech and The Feynman Lectures Website have made the text of the first volume of his textbook, authored by Feynman, Robert B. Leighton, and Matthew Sands based on the lectures Feynman delivered at Caltech, for free.

Huge thanks to everyone involved for making this valuable work more accessible to the general public.

17gy5pbk9hgt7jpg.jpg

The first volume is 52 chapters long and focuses mainly on mechanics, radiation, and heat.
The team that brought us this volume also hopes to bring us Volumes 2 and 3 at some point in the future.

In the meantime, dig in!

Link - The Feynman Lectures on Physics