The "Aw FRACK" ebola thread | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

The "Aw FRACK" ebola thread

I dont think that saying this news station isnt giving accurate information for x reason is helpful.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/

All news stations love sensationalism. In terms of reports based on real data and whole data there is no doubt in my mind foxnews can be trusted and certainly compared to other news stations like cnn etc that deliberately tell only ONE side of a story or simply dont report on what they dont want to report on. Case in point the IRS scandal. Yes today they are talking about it but only after foxnews wouldnt let the story die. Today we see there has clearly been a cover up. Something that regardless which political ideal you support, should be a concern to everyone.

Concerning fear mongering. The reason Obama has cited we need to use the US military to help control the outbreak is so that it has less of a chance of mutating and becoming a serious threat to the US. His words.

That's not how it is supposed to work anyway. The idea of quarantine is to separate potentially sick people from healthy people but what you're describing is potentially doing the opposite.

If they were to quarantine you it would either be you by yourself or with the people you were already with, not with a different batch of people. Mixing up unverifiable people who aren't already connected by contact would be counterproductive - not only might they infect you but you might infect them and what'd happen is maybe they had a bunch of healthy people and they just gave them all ebola by shoving you in there with them. It makes no sense.
True but quarantine can mean many different things. Lets quarantine an entire city so that no one gets out before we can decide who has it and does ot... something they already tried to do.

Even so my point was not that. My point was regardless of the best intention I am a fairly intelligent person and I would be highly unwilling to accept someone telling me I must go with them or stay in an area not to leave just because they said so. I understand the reasoning but sorry, I dont just accept anyones competence to know what they are doing in a way that doesnt help me die.

Thinking about this. Quarantine means you are being placed in an area with other people suspected of having ebola with no protective gear. How many people here would actually abide by that?

I have to say that I think it highly likely I would not unless a doctor told me that yes there was no doubt I had ebola. If there were any doubt at all I would say f off and leave. Just looking at this truthfully.

That seems reasonable, how about not pissing on the nurses when they tell you that you might have ebola though, and if you're going to liberate a quarantine maybe don't take all of the blood soaked sheets and mattresses actually thats a good rule in general when raiding a facility stay away from bloody objects or maybe just stay away from bloody objects in general.

That seems reasonable, how about not pissing on the nurses when they tell you that you might have ebola though, and if you're going to liberate a quarantine maybe don't take all of the blood soaked sheets and mattresses actually thats a good rule in general when raiding a facility stay away from bloody objects or maybe just stay away from bloody objects in general.

I think there's a very powerful natural selection working in this scenario, this is the state in which they could not prevent the mass kidnapping of children by muslim rapists who planned forced mass "conversions", with that kind of track record you are either going to have terrorist biochemists cooking up trash and inadvertantly releasing it or some equally sinister anti-muslim faction doing the same.

I dont think that saying this news station isnt giving accurate information for x reason is helpful.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/

All news stations love sensationalism. In terms of reports based on real data and whole data there is no doubt in my mind foxnews can be trusted and certainly compared to other news stations like cnn etc that deliberately tell only ONE side of a story or simply dont report on what they dont want to report on. Case in point the IRS scandal. Yes today they are talking about it but only after foxnews wouldnt let the story die. Today we see there has clearly been a cover up. Something that regardless which political ideal you support, should be a concern to everyone.
I won’t argue with you on the merit of CNN because I think of them about as highly as I do of FOX. But I have to point out that those stories run on each network are not comparable (they both have their favorite things to exaggerate)…the only thing I have seen come close is when I accidentally leave the TV on in the morning and the 700 Club comes on….those are some really twisted bastards…far beyond the mainstream media (yes, Fox is part of that group as is CNN etc.).
It is inaccurate because of the headline alone - "Ebola Airborne, A nightmare that could happen"…yes, yes it could…just like HIV could become airborne, or any number of diseases and viruses that would be incredible devastating to the human race in general no matter the culprit.
It is sensationalism just like you said and all the news outlets play up what amount to as “lies” with hints of truth in it to vomit in the ears of the masses.
It’s the same thing with fucking asteroids lately…WTF? Yes, we could get creamed by one…no, we wouldn’t survive so who cares?
Why do we accept blatant lies told to us? The news should either be factual information or it is no longer news…it's tabloid nonsense crap.
But…what are people to do? It takes time to look up and find out who is lying and who isn’t…people don’t want to do that…they just want the news told to them.
And that is why we have so many misinformed people, who really have no idea about how our politics are being run…you know I saw a good Meme the other day…it read - “If you think once Obama is out of office then everything will be fine, you haven't been paying attention.” I agree he leaves much to be desired…and sadly the only thing 100 years from now that he’ll be remembered for is being the first black president, not because he hasn’t done anything worthwhile…although that is highly personally subjective, lol.
Sadly, I do think that if Ebola made it here on it’s own through the normal routes of travel that it could take hold in the most impoverished areas of the US, much the same way that in the early 1900’s “Pellagra” was a disease of the impoverished and those “infected” were treated like modern day lepers. Diseases like this spread on misinformation and ignorance faster than the diseases can mutate into more deadly versions of itself.

Last edited:
I won’t argue with you on the merit of CNN because I think of them about as highly as I do of FOX. But I have to point out that those stories run on each network are not comparable (they both have their favorite things to exaggerate)…the only thing I have seen come close is when I accidentally leave the TV on in the morning and the 700 Club comes on….those are some really twisted bastards…far beyond the mainstream media (yes, Fox is part of that group as is CNN etc.).
It is inaccurate because of the headline alone - "Ebola Airborne, A nightmare that could happen"…yes, yes it could…just like HIV could become airborne, or any number of diseases and viruses that would be incredible devastating to the human race in general no matter the culprit.
It is sensationalism just like you said and all the news outlets play up what amount to as “lies” with hints of truth in it to vomit in the ears of the masses.
It’s the same thing with fucking asteroids lately…WTF? Yes, we could get creamed by one…no, we wouldn’t survive so who cares?
Why do we accept blatant lies told to us? The news should either be factual information or it is no longer news…it's tabloid nonsense crap.
But…what are people to do? It takes time to look up and find out who is lying and who isn’t…people don’t want to do that…they just want the news told to them.
And that is why we have so many misinformed people, who really have no idea about how our politics are being run…you know I saw a good Meme the other day…it read - “If you think once Obama is out of office then everything will be fine, you haven't been paying attention.” I agree he leaves much to be desired…and sadly the only thing 100 years from now that he’ll be remembered for is being the first black president, not because he hasn’t done anything worthwhile…although that is highly personally subjective, lol.
Sadly, I do think that if Ebola made it here on it’s own through the normal routes of travel that it could take hold in the most impoverished areas of the US, much the same way that in the early 1900’s “Pellagra” was a disease of the impoverished and those “infected” were treated like modern day lepers. Diseases like this spread on misinformation and ignorance faster than the diseases can mutate into more deadly versions of itself.

The news should only give factual information and nothing else.... ah yes a point I absolutely agree with. In fact I remained naive longer than most I think concerning the news. Up until I was 22 or so I for some reason believe there was some law they had to follow in telling only yhe truth. I know how crazy that sounds but I was not a big news watcher. I started really paying attention to what was going on in the world because of the first Iraq war. My eyes have been opened ever since.

So potentially airborne or not, "mutation" is being uttered by our current president as something we need to be very concerned about. I have to assume this and other words are not used lightly because if anyone knows that people can run with words, they certainly do.

True but quarantine can mean many different things. Lets quarantine an entire city so that no one gets out before we can decide who has it and does ot... something they already tried to do.

Even so my point was not that. My point was regardless of the best intention I am a fairly intelligent person and I would be highly unwilling to accept someone telling me I must go with them or stay in an area not to leave just because they said so. I understand the reasoning but sorry, I dont just accept anyones competence to know what they are doing in a way that doesnt help me die.

Well if worse came to worst I think they'd have to physically imprison you or just shoot you. Quarantine isn't optional especially not when it comes to this. When they do it with an entire town it is not a mere suggestion.

A whole city is really not the way to do it but they're getting desperate. And remember who was talking about nuking the place anyway? This is just the slow version of a nuke.

Well if worse came to worst I think they'd have to physically imprison you or just shoot you. Quarantine isn't optional especially not when it comes to this. When they do it with an entire town it is not a mere suggestion.

A whole city is really not the way to do it but they're getting desperate. And remember who was talking about nuking the place anyway? This is just the slow version of a nuke.
No doubt one of the reasons we are sending military down there. They arernt just to look pretty. I like how they say its for cdc security when really its about containment.

No doubt one of the reasons we are sending military down there. They arernt just to look pretty. I like how they say its for cdc security when really its about containment.

In a case like this one could say those two things could be the same mission.

In a case like this one could say those two things could be the same mission.

True again! They just happen to be leaving the bit about containment off. No reason to get people to view it that way just in case it happens here right?

True again! They just happen to be leaving the bit about containment off. No reason to get people to view it that way just in case it happens here right?

Maybe, I'm sure they do consider things like that. Not that it means anything but with how people are and how the news likes to grab everything exciting and run with it, they have to be careful with the words they choose.

If they say their mission, people panic. If they don't say it, people panic. Main problem is people.

Maybe, I'm sure they do consider things like that. Not that it means anything but with how people are and how the news likes to grab everything exciting and run with it, they have to be careful with the words they choose.

If they say their mission, people panic. If they don't say it, people panic. Main problem is people.
Always.

That's not how it is supposed to work anyway. The idea of quarantine is to separate potentially sick people from healthy people but what you're describing is potentially doing the opposite.

If they were to quarantine you it would either be you by yourself or with the people you were already with, not with a different batch of people. Mixing up unverifiable people who aren't already connected by contact would be counterproductive - not only might they infect you but you might infect them and what'd happen is maybe they had a bunch of healthy people and they just gave them all ebola by shoving you in there with them. It makes no sense.

I going to agree with you, but add an addendum, Most African countries probably don't have the best quarantine procedures.

Which is exactly why there's a problem right now, actually.

That and the crazy amount of distrust towards the government and modern medicine from the more rural/tribal/impoverished people in these governments.

Edit: Who are exactly the people most likely to catch Ebola.

The news should only give factual information and nothing else.... ah yes a point I absolutely agree with. In fact I remained naive longer than most I think concerning the news. Up until I was 22 or so I for some reason believe there was some law they had to follow in telling only yhe truth. I know how crazy that sounds but I was not a big news watcher. I started really paying attention to what was going on in the world because of the first Iraq war. My eyes have been opened ever since.

So potentially airborne or not, "mutation" is being uttered by our current president as something we need to be very concerned about. I have to assume this and other words are not used lightly because if anyone knows that people can run with words, they certainly do.
Yeah…our own government and media is guilty…either of spreading bunk science that is sensationalized…or of knowingly spreading false information in order to effect the response that they want from the people of this nation.
It is probably a bit of both….I would imagine that when you are in such a political position as the POTUS is then everything has a potential use for leverage.
Kind of like that flat out lies that Dick Cheney and Bush told again and again about WMDs and chemical weapons…it became a moot point that it was false…the language switched from “they have them…” to “we prevented them from building them” which is bullshit.
Any disease can mutate…hell, we can mutate as humans when it suits us and the conditions are correct.
But to fear monger by saying that any moment it will go airborne is a bald-face lie…as is suggesting that the kids crossing our border from central america could be carriers of Ebola…or worse is false! (Dum-dum da! *ominous music*)

Yeah…our own government and media is guilty…either of spreading bunk science that is sensationalized…or of knowingly spreading false information in order to effect the response that they want from the people of this nation.
It is probably a bit of both….I would imagine that when you are in such a political position as the POTUS is then everything has a potential use for leverage.
Kind of like that flat out lies that Dick Cheney and Bush told again and again about WMDs and chemical weapons…it became a moot point that it was false…the language switched from “they have them…” to “we prevented them from building them” which is bullshit.
Any disease can mutate…hell, we can mutate as humans when it suits us and the conditions are correct.
But to fear monger by saying that any moment it will go airborne is a bald-face lie…as is suggesting that the kids crossing our border from central america could be carriers of Ebola…or worse is false! (Dum-dum da! *ominous music*)
Agree mostly. :) The information I have read from the news is that there are currently a few suspected cases of airborne ebola infection in lab monkeys. True? I suppose time will tell.

Agree mostly. :) The information I have read from the news is that there are currently a few suspected cases of airborne ebola infection in lab monkeys. True? I suppose time will tell.
Yes, I have read those articles…the tests they conducted show little concrete data on it being suddenly airborne.
Droplet precautions and airborne precautions are very similar in certain instances…but there are still HUGE differences.
Droplet precautions is the same type of precautions that you take for something like the flu or the MMR diseases…so it’s not to say that you shouldn’t worry that you can catch it…because people certainly do catch the flu from one another…but you can prevent it by wearing a mask and washing your hands. But even easier to prevent is to put a mask on the person who is ill.
A true airborne virus requires special masks or respirators rated for the extremely tiny size of the virus and is EASILY spread. Like one person walks into the Mall with the virus, and hundreds catch it through the air-conditioning type of thing.
Idk…I have worked around infectious diseases my whole working life and I guess it just doesn’t scare me like it does someone else.
Not worried that it goes airborne AT ALL…even if somehow it does…nothing we can do…probably be good for the overpopulation of the Earth.
Actually…as we overpopulate more and more…we will probably see more and more obscure diseases pop up to “control” things.

Yes, I have read those articles…the tests they conducted show little concrete data on it being suddenly airborne.
Droplet precautions and airborne precautions are very similar in certain instances…but there are still HUGE differences.
Droplet precautions is the same type of precautions that you take for something like the flu or the MMR diseases…so it’s not to say that you shouldn’t worry that you can catch it…because people certainly do catch the flu from one another…but you can prevent it by wearing a mask and washing your hands. But even easier to prevent is to put a mask on the person who is ill.
A true airborne virus requires special masks or respirators rated for the extremely tiny size of the virus and is EASILY spread. Like one person walks into the Mall with the virus, and hundreds catch it through the air-conditioning type of thing.
Idk…I have worked around infectious diseases my whole working life and I guess it just doesn’t scare me like it does someone else.
Not worried that it goes airborne AT ALL…even if somehow it does…nothing we can do…probably be good for the overpopulation of the Earth.
Actually…as we overpopulate more and more…we will probably see more and more obscure diseases pop up to “control” things.

I do nit know that you could say I am scared. I certainly dont care about dying though I would like to avoid it if possible. Also, I have been very sick already and I can say I am not a fan of what it does to your mind. Mostly though I am scared about seeing people I care about potentially die. Physical death is one thing, mental death is quite another.