You just explained why humans are better at go then asked me why humans are better at go. This reminds of kindergarten where the teacher would explain why yellow and red make orange. Then ask "What does yellow and red make"..."That's right, orange."

This sort of stuff confuses people. Someone will come across a fact like "A human's entire genetic makeup can be stored on a cd". This makes people think that computers are far more complicated than humans. Then they'll read about the Human Brain Project which talks about the time, money and complexity of the machines involved. So it seems like we're being told that homo-sapiens are both simple and complex.

I've know people to completely disregard what comes from scientific studies because things aren't as straightforward as they would like them to be.

Well I explained why computers are worse at it, but not why humans are better at it.

Computers suck at certain forms of logic. The question I'm asking is how humans manage to not suck at these forms of computation when computers are vastly more powerful in memory and processing speed.

Edit:
Or look at it this way. In general terms you can see why a heavier race car with less horsepower loses to a lighter car with more power, so you can see why the slower car is worse. This doesn't give you insight into why the faster car is better - or in other words how it is making more horsepower and what aspects of it's design make it lighter.

Last edited:
Well I explained why computers are worse at it, but not why humans are better at it.

Computers suck at certain forms of logic. The question I'm asking is how humans manage to not suck at these forms of computation when computers are vastly more powerful in memory and processing speed.

Edit:
Or look at it this way. In general terms you can see why a heavier race car with less horsepower loses to a lighter car with more power, so you can see why the slower car is worse. This doesn't give you insight into why the faster car is better - or in other words how it is making more horsepower and what aspects of it's design make it lighter.

I know, I was just joking. What you said reminded me of kindergarten. I get a bit delirious when I have the flu and go off on tangents. Last time I thought I was The Doctor and tried to give a logical explanation to Amy as to why the sonic screwdriver doesn't work on wood.

I'm not an idiot, alright sprinkles. Jesus. That was another tangent. It was hilarious to me as it's a bit (a bit being a short comedic scene) from a podcast I listen to.

I know, I was just joking. What you said reminded me of kindergarten. I get a bit delirious when I have the flu and go off on tangents. Last time I thought I was The Doctor and tried to give a logical explanation to Amy as to why the sonic screwdriver doesn't work on wood.

I'm not an idiot, alright sprinkles. Jesus. That was another tangent. It was hilarious to me as it's a bit (a bit being a short comedic scene) from a podcast I listen to.

Haha well I'd already been looking at what I wrote and said to myself "Self, you wrote that in a really stupid way. You said why humans are better at Go, and then asked why humans are better at Go."

I was too lazy to change it but I was already ahead of you before you posted, which is why I explained it. For my own sake more than anything. :P

Haha well I'd already been looking at what I wrote and said to myself "Self, you wrote that in a really stupid way. You said why humans are better at Go, and then asked why humans are better at Go."

I was too lazy to change it but I was already ahead of you before you posted, which is why I explained it. For my own sake more than anything. :P

I do that all the time. I had to write (a bit being a short comedic scene) in case you thought I literally meant a bit (as in a piece not a basic unit of information). Did it again.

I read a book a while ago in which the author explorate and investigate the link between 'aliens' and 'the ocult'.
He claim in his book that when a 'e.t. interaction' was happening, many times the investigators would discover important ocult/paranormal activity in link with the aliens event.

Yeah the occult is ahead of the game on a number of scores

Yeah the occult is ahead of the game on a number of scores
So do you think the ocult is real?
Statanists, witches, priests and so on?

Occult just means concealed. The occult is usually hidden in plain sight

I'd like to talk more on this but i need to go do some stuff this morning.

Can we pick this up again later today? have a good one, speak soon!

That is such huge broad subject LucyJr., can you narrow it down a bit more?

That is such huge broad subject LucyJr., can you narrow it down a bit more?
Sure, I'll try to expand a bit later, cause my laptop has a "break-down" and needs to be fixed:)

The phenomen is very interesting to me because IN grew up in a religious enviroment and I met all kinds of people, from exorcists to people that were supposed to be demon-possesed and members of the ocult world, like satanists. Just two kilo from where I live there is a satanist church. They had a lot of troubles with police most of the time. Suppoaedly there were crimes and sacrifices in their meetings. That's why I'm so interested.

Sure, I'll try to expand a bit later, cause my laptop has a "break-down" and needs to be fixed:)

The phenomen is very interesting to me because IN grew up in a religious enviroment and I met all kinds of people, from exorcists to people that were supposed to be demon-possesed and members of the ocult world, like satanists. Just two kilo from where I live there is a satanist church. They had a lot of troubles with police most of the time. Suppoaedly there were crimes and sacrifices in their meetings. That's why I'm so interested.
Well you sort-of answered your own question asking if their were occultists, witches, satanists, etc...
Yes there are.
Do the commit crimes...yes they do.
Human sacrifice...it has happened I’m sure.

But I think a distinction needs to be drawn between someone who considers him or herself an occultist and someone who is a criminal.
They are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
Occultism is conceived of as the study of the inner nature of things, as opposed to the outer characteristics that are studied by science.
A lot of occultist groups have been offshoots of most major religions...many famous scientists such as Sir. Isaac Newton practiced things like Alchemy, which by some is considered to be occultist behavior.
It’s all in peoples' perception of things when you boil it down...what is a normal and generally accepted as religious practice in a society?
If you feel that strapping antlers onto your head while running around naked through a forest at night brings you in touch with nature and brings you a sense of inner knowledge, then who am I to tell you that you are a bit looney?
It is no more looney than eating bread and wine representing the sacrificial flesh and blood of a deity’s child while thinking that it will free you from sin and give you eternal life.
If you really wish to know the long history of occultism then I’m sure between @muir and myself, we could give you a fairly accurate picture.

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]

In addition to that there's paradigms where people aren't even sure if it's serious or not, e.g. Discordianism or the Church of the SubGenius.

@Skarekrow

In addition to that there's paradigms where people aren't even sure if it's serious or not, e.g. Discordianism or the Church of the SubGenius.
True...
I think that there are probably more people who are involved with the occult who take it seriously as opposed to not.
There are of course groups out there just to make a statement and you have to question their motives.
Such as....lol....and I find this quite hilarious actually because it’s kind of the right wing evangelical Christians own fault for setting a precedent lololol -

0108-satanic-statue-630x420.jpg

A satanic group unveiled designs Monday for a 7-foot-tall statue of Satan it wants to put at the Oklahoma state Capitol, where a Ten Commandments monument was placed in 2012.
The New York-based Satanic Temple formally submitted its application to a panel that oversees the Capitol grounds, including an artist's rendering that depicts Satan as Baphomet, a goat-headed figure with horns, wings and a long beard that's often used as a symbol of the occult. In the rendering, Satan is sitting in a pentagram-adorned throne with smiling children next to him.
"The monument has been designed to reflect the views of Satanists in Oklahoma City and beyond," temple spokesman Lucien Greaves said in a statement. "The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."
The Satanic Temple maintains that the Oklahoma Legislature's decision to authorize a privately funded Ten Commandments monument at the Capitol opened the door for its statue. The Ten Commandments monument was placed on the north steps of the building in 2012, and the Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has sued to have it removed.
Similar requests for monuments have been made by a Hindu leader in Nevada, an animal rights group and the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
In response, the Oklahoma Capitol Preservation Commission recently placed a moratorium on considering any new requests.
"Anybody can still make their request, but we'll hold off on considering them until the lawsuit is adjudicated," commission Chairman Trait Thompson said.
The push by the Satanic Temple has rankled elected leaders in this conservative state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt, who say such a proposal would never be approved by the commission.
"I think you've got to remember where you are. This is Oklahoma, the middle of the heartland," said Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon. "I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here."
While Greaves acknowledges the Satanic Temple's effort is in part to highlight what it says is hypocrisy of state leaders in Oklahoma, he says the group is serious about having a monument placed there.
The group already has raised nearly half of the $20,000 it says it needs to build the monument.
"We plan on moving forward one way or another," Greaves said.
Another Oklahoma legislator, Rep. Earl Sears, called the group's effort "an insult to the good people of the state."
"I do not see Satanism as a religion, and they have no place at the state Capitol," said Sears, R-Bartlesville.
On its website, the Satanic Temple explains that it "seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we construct a narrative context for our goals and works.
"Satan stands as the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness," the website says.

Well I didn't say they don't take it seriously, I said people aren't sure. :p

Like what you just posted with the Satan/Baphomet statue. That's called culture jamming. It's very serious, yet not serious, yet serious and consequential as well.

Much similar to tactical frivolity.

@Skarekrow

Like what you just posted with the Satan/Baphomet statue. That's called culture jamming. It's very serious, yet not serious, yet serious and consequential as well.

Well, I find it very entertaining! lol
Especially given who it is supposed to expose and “jam”.
I’m awfully tired of people in this country who are totally ignorant to the founding father’s ideals of what they wanted this country to represent.
There are direct quotes by the founding fathers...in fact, here are 35 from a saved page I had in my bookmarks PROVING they did NOT intend the US to be a Christian nation.

1. “If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution.”
~George Washington, letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789

2. “Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by a difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought to be deprecated. I was in hopes that the enlightened and liberal policy, which has marked the present age, would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so far that we should never again see the religious disputes carried to such a pitch as to endanger the peace of society.”
~George Washington, letter to Edward Newenham, October 20, 1792

3. “We have abundant reason to rejoice that in this Land the light of truth and reason has triumphed over the power of bigotry and superstition… In this enlightened Age and in this Land of equal liberty it is our boast, that a man’s religious tenets will not forfeit the protection of the Laws, nor deprive him of the right of attaining and holding the highest Offices that are known in the United States.”
~George Washington, letter to the members of the New Church in Baltimore, January 27, 1793
4. “The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.”
~John Adams, “A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America” 1787-1788
5. “The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
~1797 Treaty of Tripoli signed by John Adams
6. “Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.”
~John Adams, “A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America” (1787-88)
7. “We should begin by setting conscience free. When all men of all religions shall enjoy equal liberty, property, and an equal chance for
honors and power we may expect that improvements will be made in the human character and the state of society.”
~John Adams, letter to Dr. Price, April 8, 1785
8. “I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.”
~Thomas Jefferson, letter to the Baptists of Danbury, Connecticut, 1802
9. “In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”
~Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to Horatio Spofford, 1814
10. “Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, then that of blindfolded fear.”
~Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787
11. “I am for freedom of religion and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.”
~Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, January 26, 1799
12. “History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes.”
-Thomas Jefferson: in letter to Alexander von Humboldt, December 6, 1813
13. “Because religious belief, or non-belief, is such an important part of every person’s life, freedom of religion affects every individual.
State churches that use government power to support themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths undermine all our civil rights. Moreover, state support of the church tends to make the clergy unresponsive to the people and leads to corruption within religion. Erecting the “wall of separation between church and state,” therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society. We have solved … the great and interesting question whether freedom of religion is compatible with order in government and obedience to the laws. And we have experienced the quiet as well as the comfort which results from leaving every one to profess freely and openly those principles of religion which are the inductions of his own reason and the serious convictions of his own inquiries.”
~Thomas Jefferson: in a speech to the Virginia Baptists, 1808
14. “Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.”
~Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,
15. “The civil government functions with complete success by the total separation of the Church from the State.”
~James Madison, 1819, Writings, 8:432, quoted from Gene Garman, “Essays In Addition to America’s Real Religion”
16. “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
~James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822
17. “Every new and successful example of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters is of importance.”
~James Madison, letter, 1822
18. “Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion and Government in the Constitution of the United States, the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history.”
~James Madison; Monopolies, Perpetuities, Corporations, Ecclesiastical
Endowments

19. “It is only when the people become ignorant and corrupt, when they degenerate into a populace, that they are incapable of exercising the sovereignty. Usurpation is then an easy attainment, and an usurper soon found. The people themselves become the willing instruments of their own debasement and ruin. Let us, then, look to the great cause, and endeavor to preserve it in full force. Let us by all wise and constitutional measures promote intelligence among the people as the best means of preserving our liberties.”
~James Monroe, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1817
20. “When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obligated to call for help of the civil power, it’s a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one.”
~Benjamin Franklin, letter to Richard Price, October 9, 1780
21. “Manufacturers, who listening to the powerful invitations of a better price for their fabrics, or their labor, of greater cheapness of provisions and raw materials, of an exemption from the chief part of the taxes burdens and restraints, which they endure in the old world, of greater personal independence and consequence, under the operation of a more equal government, and of what is far more precious than mere religious toleration–a perfect equality of religious privileges; would probably flock from Europe to the United States to pursue their own trades or professions, if they were once made sensible of the advantages they would enjoy, and were inspired with an assurance of encouragement and employment, will, with difficulty, be induced to transplant themselves, with a view to becoming cultivators of the land.”
~Alexander Hamilton: Report on the Subject of Manufacturers December 5,

22. “In regard to religion, mutual toleration in the different professions thereof is what all good and candid minds in all ages have ever practiced, and both by precept and example inculcated on mankind.”
~Samuel Adams, The Rights of the Colonists (1771)
23. “That religion, or the duty which we owe to our Creator, and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence; and therefore all men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience; and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forebearance, love, and charity towards each other.”
~George Mason, Virginia Bill of Rights, 1776
24. “It is contrary to the principles of reason and justice that any should be compelled to contribute to the maintenance of a church with which their consciences will not permit them to join, and from which they can derive no benefit; for remedy whereof, and that equal liberty as well religious as civil, may be universally extended to all the good people of this commonwealth.”
~George Mason, Virginia Declaration of Rights, 1776
25. “A man of abilities and character, of any sect whatever, may be admitted to any office or public trust under the United States. I am a friend to a variety of sects, because they keep one another in order. How many different sects are we composed of throughout the United States? How many different sects will be in congress? We cannot enumerate the sects that may be in congress. And there are so many now in the United States that they will prevent the establishment of any one sect in prejudice to the rest, and will forever oppose all attempts to infringe religious liberty. If such an attempt be made, will not the alarm be sounded throughout America? If congress be as wicked as we are foretold they will, they would not run the risk of exciting the resentment of all, or most of the religious sects in America.”
~Edmund Randolph, address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June
10, 1788

26. “I never liked the Hierarchy of the Church — an equality in the teacher of Religion, and a dependence on the people, are republican sentiments — but if the Clergy combine, they will have their influence on Government”
~Rufus King, Rufus King: American Federalist, pp. 56-57
27. A general toleration of Religion appears to me the best means of peopling our country… The free exercise of religion hath stocked the Northern part of the continent with inhabitants; and altho’ Europe hath in great measure adopted a more moderate policy, yet the profession of Protestantism is extremely inconvenient in many places there. A Calvinist, a Lutheran, or Quaker, who hath felt these inconveniences in Europe, sails not to Virginia, where they are felt perhaps in a (greater degree).”
~Patrick Henry, observing that immigrants flock to places where there is no established religion, Religious Tolerance, 1766
28. “No religious doctrine shall be established by law.”
~Elbridge Gerry, Annals of Congress 1:729-731
29. “Knowledge and liberty are so prevalent in this country, that I do not believe that the United States would ever be disposed to establish one religious sect, and lay all others under legal disabilities. But as we know not what may take place hereafter, and any such test would be exceedingly injurious to the rights of free citizens, I cannot think it altogether superfluous to have added a clause, which secures us from the possibility of such oppression.”
~Oliver Wolcott, Connecticut Ratifying Convention, 9 January 1788
30. “Some very worthy persons, who have not had great advantages for information, have objected against that clause in the constitution
which provides, that no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States. They have been afraid that this clause is unfavorable to religion. But my countrymen, the sole purpose and effect of it is to exclude persecution, and to secure to you the important right of religious
liberty. We are almost the only people in the world, who have a full enjoyment of this important right of human nature. In our country every man has a right to worship God in that way which is most agreeable to his conscience. If he be a good and peaceable person he is liable to no penalties or incapacities on account of his religious sentiments; or in other words, he is not subject to persecution. But in other parts of the world, it has been, and still is, far different. Systems of religious error have been adopted, in times of ignorance. It has been the interest of tyrannical kings, popes, and prelates, to maintain these errors. When the clouds of ignorance began to vanish, and the people grew more enlightened, there was no other way to keep them in error, but to prohibit their altering their religious opinions by severe persecuting laws. In this way persecution became general throughout Europe.”
~Oliver Ellsworth, Philip B Kurland and Ralph Lerner (eds.), The Founder’s Constitution, University of Chicago Press, 1987, Vol. 4, p.

31. “Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is always the strongly marked feature of all religions established by law. Take away the law-establishment, and every religion re-assumes its original benignity.”
~Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man, 1791
32. “God has appointed two kinds of government in the world, which are distinct in their nature, and ought never to be confounded together; one of which is called civil, the other ecclesiastical government.”
~Isaac Backus, An Appeal to the Public for Religious Liberty, 1773
33. “Congress has no power to make any religious establishments.”
~Roger Sherman, Congress, August 19, 1789
34. “The American states have gone far in assisting the progress of truth; but they have stopped short of perfection. They ought to have given every honest citizen an equal right to enjoy his religion and an equal title to all civil emoluments, without obliging him to tell his religion. Every interference of the civil power in regulating opinion, is an impious attempt to take the business of the Deity out of his own hands; and every preference given to any religious denomination, is so far slavery and bigotry.”
~Noah Webster, calling for no religious tests to serve in public office, Sketches of American Policy, 1785
35. “The legislature of the United States shall pass no law on the subject of religion.”
~Charles Pinckney, Constitutional Convention, 1787

So if anyone has been cultured jammed it has been the majority of America by the Christians.
Even if they represent the majority now...they love to take the side of anything synonymous with freedom, from things imposed upon them by those believing differently than they do...such as birth-control mandates, legalized abortion, right to die laws, etc.
People in this country are ignorant bigots who have no clue as to the true nature of our history.
If for one am keeping my fingers crossed that the statue must be legally put up...or at the very least, the 10 commandments statue must come down much to their distress.
You want to impose your religion and shove it down the throats of everyone no matter what they believe...then you must be inclusive.
I especially like this one -
14. “Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.”
~Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

I love this line:

"I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here."

Sure people need to be accepting and open minded, but in Oklahoma(?) in my town? F**k no.

That's the point of culture jamming - to shock people awake. Christianity does not count as culture jamming because it's part of the status quo establishment.

Culture jamming basically takes an established meme that is so ingrained in the populace that it is a household name, such as the Ten Commandments monument there, and breaks it and smacks you in the face with the result.

It's more than a statement, it's designed to shock people out of their comfort zone and hopefully start doing some actual autonomous thinking rather than continuing to go along with the illusion that they actually have their own ideas about things.

I love this line:

"I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here."

Sure people need to be accepting and open minded, but in Oklahoma(?) in my town? F**k no.
I know....isn’t that great....what a douche....lol.
@Skarekrow

That's the point of culture jamming - to shock people awake. Christianity does not count as culture jamming because it's part of the status quo establishment.

Culture jamming basically takes an established meme that is so ingrained in the populace that it is a household name, such as the Ten Commandments monument there, and breaks it and smacks you in the face with the result.

It's more than a statement, it's designed to shock people out of their comfort zone and hopefully start doing some actual autonomous thinking rather than continuing to go along with the illusion that they actually have their own ideas about things.
Yes...I know what it is...I’m saying at one point in time...the Christians thrust their religion so deep down the throat of America that one could call it that and "culture jammed" the US into what it has become. Because that isn’t what was intended nor was it what it used to be.

I have a lot to say on this but need a bit of time to formulate a decent response

@Skarekrow

I think the people behind it are 100% serious

I think it is more than just an attempt at 'reality hacking'...i think its part of a rise of satanism in the US. Popular culture is now full of satanic references

I'm not a fan of the church as an institution but the majority of christians are probably pretty decent people

I am certainly not a fan of satanism

I think 'black' magick is essentially when people use magick to empower themselves, whilst 'white' magick is when people empower others

There is most definately a struggle going on within our society right now between these two currents...you can even see it manifest on this forum

[MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION]

I'm not a fan of either, but the sad fact is that when you say the word 'god' to a person, 99 times out of 100 they will not ask you "which one?" and I think that's a problem, which might be at least subverted to an extent by the above actions.

Back