[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] and everybody else.

Hey. Do you guys think magic or being psychic would work against computers?

I'm REALLY beginning to wonder. Like with playing riichi mahjong. I get these feelings where I somehow know what to do. If I don't follow them, I lose in horrible ways. It happens time and time again "Don't throw this tile. Don't throw it! DON'T THROW IT!" *throws tile - ron gets called* "WELL SHIT I told you!"

After my Rinshan Kaihou that I posted in the gaming thread earlier... I really started to think about it. The way I built that hand was totally illogical and poor. But I was not going by logic, I was following my inner voice. It told me what tiles to throw away and to anybody else they'd look stupid, but they were the right tiles. And when I made the kan before the rinshan kaihou, I had a really strong feeling that I should make the kan! It didn't tell me that I'd pull the 7 from the dead wall for sure, but it really felt important to make the kan and get that dead wall draw. So I did and won the hand and won the match.

What the hell is going on?

This is a really interesting question!!

Actually, I wondered about this a few weeks ago when [MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] posted a link to an online site where you could test and build up your psychic power...and I wondered the implications for that - how does our mind interacting with technology differ from interacting with humans?

In once sense, the human mind is a computer....if we can interact with that computer, but also connect with animals - which is also another 'type' of computer...it makes sense that we could do the same with technology. But then I wonder, especially when there's someone on the other end of the technology, would we be manipulating the 'computer' or the 'computer user'? How can our minds influence others at the end of our communications?

I don't know at all! But i think it's such an interesting thing to consider!!

What kind of meditation? Hmmm..... the kind where you go into the center of your mind and then totally inhabit your body kind.
I don't know what to call what I do these days. I started out with Vipassana Meditation/Mindfulness back in 2009 and I can see the benefits of it today.

Many of the youtube videos of the channeled extra-terrestrials contain energy communications in them and I resonate with a few of them. I have let my intuition guide me as to whether I will listen or not. For example I seem to find videos of Arcturian messages that make sense to me and make me feel good. I discovered Bashar years ago - put him down for a while - and have now picked him back up. My frequency changes during the listening process and my energy field expands...?...yes....that's what it does....it expands. There are others I listen to and have had expansive energy field kinds of experiences. it's hard to explain in words...:(

Have you ever run across the graphic of the human sitting in meditation and they show the mind immersed in to the field? I can't find it now.... but it's a good representation of what it feels like whenever I focus my awareness in the center.

This picture grabbed my attention. I often find myself experiencing this where the energy is flowing through me from above and below and my body fills with my awareness. Sometimes it gets so sensitive I feel as if my skin is too small and I'm bumping up against it. The color I see is different from this....it's gold/silver - ish...

create-blue-energy-meditation-from-body-mind-soul-to-spirit-to-heavens-to-outerspace-surround-earth-with-your-powers.jpg
That is really awesome...I used to meditate more...I haven’t done it now for quite some time...it’s an easy habit to break unfortunately.
Especially when you get ill or busy with shit in your life...those are probably the times when you need to meditate the most and yet it is the most difficult.

@Skarekrow and everybody else.

I'm REALLY beginning to wonder. Like with playing riichi mahjong. I get these feelings where I somehow know what to do. If I don't follow them, I lose in horrible ways. It happens time and time again "Don't throw this tile. Don't throw it! DON'T THROW IT!" *throws tile - ron gets called* "WELL SHIT I told you!"

After my Rinshan Kaihou that I posted in the gaming thread earlier... I really started to think about it. The way I built that hand was totally illogical and poor. But I was not going by logic, I was following my inner voice. It told me what tiles to throw away and to anybody else they'd look stupid, but they were the right tiles. And when I made the kan before the rinshan kaihou, I had a really strong feeling that I should make the kan! It didn't tell me that I'd pull the 7 from the dead wall for sure, but it really felt important to make the kan and get that dead wall draw. So I did and won the hand and won the match.

Yes. While I do not play a lot anymore, I used to play COD 1 - whatever and BF 2-whatever after getting home from work. There were times that I would "zone out", look up and at the end of the match be #1. Thinking back, I did not really remember the matches at all. When I would focus on one thing like going after someone because they did something I didnt like, like kill me, I wouldnt be #1 anymore. Zoning out, not paying attention to the game always netted me the #1 spot.

Of course these are the times that 8 hours would go by in the blink of an eye. So.... I had to stop this for fear of the time warping effect.

This is a really interesting question!!

Actually, I wondered about this a few weeks ago when @Skarekrow posted a link to an online site where you could test and build up your psychic power...and I wondered the implications for that - how does our mind interacting with technology differ from interacting with humans?

In once sense, the human mind is a computer....if we can interact with that computer, but also connect with animals - which is also another 'type' of computer...it makes sense that we could do the same with technology. But then I wonder, especially when there's someone on the other end of the technology, would we be manipulating the 'computer' or the 'computer user'? How can our minds influence others at the end of our communications?

I don't know at all! But i think it's such an interesting thing to consider!!

I used to play Unreal Tournament online after it first came out (I just dated myself I realize) I was really good at it too...I was part of a clan that was ranked in the top ten for a while. Anyhow, I get what you are all saying...I too would just “zone” out and would find myself randomly turning around to shoot someone that I had no reason to know was there...but is it intuition or psi....and what is the line that separate the two? Are they even separate?
So here is a couple of links to the Institute of Noetic Sciences online research programs...including the Psi-Arcade I have posted before mentioned by [MENTION=10252]say what[/MENTION].

Online Games

Blending scientific research with internet technology, IONS Chief Scientist Dean Radin has developed online games that test individuals' psi abilities. By participating in these 3 games below, you can help provide data that is used in our research on consciousness.

The Halls of Healing

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 20%"]
click to visit the Halls of Healing[/TD]
[TD="width: 5%"][/TD]
[TD="width: 75%"]The Halls of Healing are three free online games that test the roles of intention, attention, and intuition in intentional healing.

• The intention game asks you to mentally "heal" a cartoon person.
  • The attention game tests your ability to perceive when and where something happens, or is about to happen.
  • The intuition game sees how well you can guess a cartoon patient's "medical condition."
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

The Garden of Dreams

[TR]
click to visit Garden of Dreams[/TD]
[TD="width: 75%"]The Garden of Dreams is a suite of free online psi tests, embedded within an adventure-type game, that allows web users to test and explore their psi abilities. The game tracks individual performance and provides a Hall of Fame with which to compare each person's ability against all other players.
The tests are designed so they can be automatically adjusted to match the performance level of each user, thus providing a constantly challenging game that may be useful in training intuitive skills.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Gaia's Dreams

[TR]
Click to visit Gaia's Dreams
[/TD]
[TD="width: 75%"]Gaia's Dreams is an experiment based on Carl Jung's concept of the collective unconscious. It is designed to gather and analyze collective dream quality and content, and to provide reports on emerging trends based on aspects of those dreams.
This site will eventually perform daily automated cross-dream linquistic and quality analyses. Ultimately the goal is to correlate collective dreams with world events, including natural and unnatural disasters, to see if collective dreams are predictive.
This experiment was partially motivated by reports of unusual dreams prior to 9/11 and the tsunami of December 2005, and by hundreds of historical cases of precognitive dreams. Data collected on this site will help us discern whether such dreams are truly precognitive.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Share Your Experiences

Contribute to IONS research by sharing your experiences using the online surveys listed below.
Transformation Survey

[TR]
click to take the Transformation Survey[/TD]
[TD="width: 75%"]This survey is part of ongoing studies by researchers at the Institute of Noetic Sciences looking into the nature of transformations in consciousness, and experiences, practices, and other factors involved in the transformative process. Your responses to this survey will be used to help researchers learn more about how people transform, and the practices and activities that foster transformation.
We hope that responding to this questionnaire will be an interesting experience for you and will provide an opportunity to reflect in depth on your experiences and insights. We estimate it will take between 30 and 60 minutes to complete, depending on how detailed your responses are and how much time it takes you to answer the multiple-choice questions. The survey will ask you to describe a transformative experience, and will ask you many questions about your thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and background.
To read other people's Transformational Stories, go here.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Awe Survey

[TR]
click to go to the Awe Survey[/TD]
[TD="width: 75%"]Are you familiar with the feeling of awe? If yes, then the IONS research team would like to know about your experience. If you'd like to share your experience of awe, please go here to fill out our awe survey.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Shaktipat / Spiritual Transmission Survey

[TR]
click to go to the Shaktipat Survey[/TD]
[TD="width: 75%"]Have you ever been the recipient of a shaktipat energy transmission from a recognized spiritual teacher? If you'd like to share your experience of spiritual transmission with our research team, pleasego here to fill out our shaktipat survey.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Participate in an Online Experiment

Contribute to IONS research and our understanding of consciousness by participating in these online experiments.

Double-Slit Experiment

[TR]
click to learn more and participate in the online double-slit experiment[/TD]
[TD="width: 75%"]The double-slit experiment is a long-term, multi-phase project that is exploring the role of consciousness in shaping the nature of physical reality.
You can now participate in this experiment online »
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Telephone Telepathy Experiment

[TR]
click to learn more and participate in the telephone telepathy experiment[/TD]
[TD="width: 75%"]Can you sense who's on the line when you receive a call? Many people claim to be able to know who's calling them before they answer the call. Is this just coincidence or is some other factor involved? The Telephone Telepathy Experiment attempts to answer this question empirically.
You can now participate in this experiment »

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

@Skarekrow and everybody else.

What?!?!?!?

I thought you knew??? You are a creator god...Master of your Universe.... of course you can use your intuition to influence anything you desire - as long as you're in your zero point/still point/center of your vortex/completely in tune with your higher Self.

LOL....that said.... There is research and ongoing research to show how the collective consciousness influences randomly generated numbers from a computer. http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

What?!?!?!?

I thought you knew??? You are a creator god...Master of your Universe.... of course you can use your intuition to influence anything you desire - as long as you're in your zero point/still point/center of your vortex/completely in tune with your higher Self.

LOL....that said.... There is research and ongoing research to show how the collective consciousness influences randomly generated numbers from a computer. http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

That is such a great program...I have linked them many, many times on this thread!
I especially like the ability to watch the real-time data come in from the different visualizations they have set up.
They have conclusively proven that there is a collective consciousness...the chance that the data collected is just random and there isn’t something significant going on would have to be about a hundred billion to one.
I would say that is pretty conclusive.

TEDx Talk

Thomas Insel: Toward a new understanding of mental illness

Today, thanks to better early detection, there are 63% fewer deaths from heart disease than there were just a few decades ago. Thomas Insel, Director of the National Institute of Mental Health, wonders: Could we do the same for depression and schizophrenia? The first step in this new avenue of research, he says, is a crucial reframing: for us to stop thinking about “mental disorders” and start understanding them as “brain disorders.” (Filmed at TEDxCaltech.)

http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_insel_toward_a_new_understanding_of_mental_illness#t-1937

10155637_459793470818644_2083208586547605837_n.jpg

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION]

Yeah I became famous for that too in several FPS games like Quake, Combat Arms and America's Army. I'd get kicked off servers for it in the first two of those.

In AA my name became a verb in my clan. e.g. if my AA name were sprinkles, to get sprinkled would mean to have me suddenly just know where you are, whip around, and shoot you in the head because I did it ALL the time. People couldn't hide from me very often and even if they did manage to trick me, more often than not I was so fast that as soon as the first bullet left their gun I'd whip around and headshot them and maybe only receive a body shot.

Edit: Q2 and Q3 arena earned me some kicks too. The first because I'd corner shoot people and dodge rockets shot from behind me, and the second because railgun.

Last edited:
@Skarekrow and @Eventhorizon

Yeah I became famous for that too in several FPS games like Quake, Combat Arms and America's Army. I'd get kicked off servers for it in the first two of those.

In AA my name became a verb in my clan. e.g. if my AA name were sprinkles, to get sprinkled would mean to have me suddenly just know where you are, whip around, and shoot you in the head because I did it ALL the time. People couldn't hide from me very often and even if they did manage to trick me, more often than not I was so fast that as soon as the first bullet left their gun I'd whip around and headshot them and maybe only receive a body shot.

Edit: Q2 and Q3 arena earned me some kicks too. The first because I'd corner shoot people and dodge rockets shot from behind me, and the second because railgun.
Same with me...I used to play low-grav. sniper capture the flag...I would get accused of using an aim-bot all the time...I was pretty hard to kill lol.
I would piss some folks off...there is a high level of intuition in such games I believe.

Here are a couple of articles exploring some aspects of computing and intuition -

A new computer game prototype combines work and play to help solve a fundamental problem underlying many computer hardware design tasks.

The online logic puzzle is called FunSAT, and it could help integrated circuit designers select and arrange transistors and their connections on silicon microchips, among other applications.
Designing chip architecture for the best performance and smallest size is an exceedingly difficult task that's outsourced to computers these days. But computers simply flip through possible arrangements in their search. They lack the human capacities for intuition and visual pattern recognition that could yield a better or even optimal design. That's where FunSAT comes in.

Developed by University of Michigan computer science researchers Valeria Bertacco and Andrew DeOrio, FunSAT is designed to harness humans' abilities to strategize, visualize and understand complex systems.
"Computer games can be more than a fun diversion," said Bertacco, an associate professor in computer science and engineering. "Humans are good at playing games and they enjoy dedicating time to it. We hope that we can use their strengths to improve chip designs, databases and even robotics."
DeOrio, a doctoral student in Computer Science and Engineering, will present a paper on the research on July 30 at the Design Automation Conference in San Francisco.

A single-player prototype exists at http://funsat.eecs.umich.edu, implemented in Java by U-M undergraduate Erica Christensen. Bertacco and DeOrio are working on growing it to a multi-player game, which would allow more complicated problems to be solved.
By solving challenging problems on the FunSAT board, players can contribute to the design of complex computer systems, but you don't have to be a computer scientist to play. The game is a sort of puzzle that might appeal to Sudoku fans.

The board consists of rows and columns of green, red and gray bubbles in various sizes. Around the perimeter are buttons that players can turn yellow or blue with the click of a mouse. The buttons' color determines the color of bubbles on the board. The goal of the game is to use the perimeter buttons to toggle all the bubbles green.
Right-clicking on a bubble tells you which buttons control its color, giving the player a hint of what to do next. The larger a bubble is, the more buttons control it. The game may be challenging because each button affects many bubbles at the same time and in different ways. A button that turns several bubbles green will also turn others from green to red or gray.

The game actually unravels so-called satisfiability problems—classic and highly complicated mathematical questions that involve selecting the best arrangement of options. In such quandaries, the solver must assign a set of variables to the right true or false categories so to fulfill all the constraints of the problem.
In the game, the bubbles represent constraints. They become green when they are satisfied. The perimeter buttons represent the variables. They are assigned to true or false when players click the mouse to make them yellow (true) or blue (false).
Once the puzzle is solved and all the bubbles are green, a computer scientist could simply look at the color of each button to gather the solution of that particular problem.

Satisfiability problems arise not only in complex chip design, but in many other areas such as packing a backpack with as many items as possible, or searching for the shortest postal route to deliver mail in a neighborhood.
"When solving these problems, humans can use their intuition and visualization skills. For instance, by just glancing at the neighborhood map they can gain an intuition of where to begin in the case of the postal route," Bertacco said. "FunSAT can leverage these human skills that computer-based solvers do not have."
The paper is called "Human Computing for EDA."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Feeling Fast: The Role of Intuitive Thinking in Video Games
Video games constitute an important part of the lives of children and youth in today’s
world. The PEW Internet and American Life Project claims that as many as 97% of American youth play video games and 50% play games daily for an hour or more (Lenhart et al., 2008).
A growing body of research suggests that video games contribute to epistemic literacy (Gee, 2003), mimic proven and effective learning environments (Stevens, Satwicz, & McCarthy, 2008), positively impact learning motivation (Orvis, Horn, & Belanich, 2008), alter quantitative reasoning (Satwicz & Stevens, 2008), and can be effective at leveraging expertise in formallearning environments (Shaffer, 2006).

Although much has been written about the ability of video games to act as powerful learning environments in science (Gee, 2003; Green & Bavelier, 2003; Kafai, 1996; Satwicz &Stevens, 2008; Shaffer, 2006; Squire, 2006) , studies that investigate learners’ intuitive knowledge structures involved in playing video games are lacking in the field. To address this issue, the goal of this pilot study is to investigate the intuitive thinking involved in the learners’minds based on their interactions with a popular racing video game. Specifically I investigate how young physics novices interpret situations within the games that involve canonical concepts such as velocity and acceleration in terms of their intuitive knowledge structures identified by other researchers (diSessa, 1993; Roschelle, 1991).

Theoretical Framework
The analytical framework used in this study is based on the following constructs:
registrations (Roschelle, 1991) and sense-of-mechanism (diSessa, 1993). Roschelle (1991) states,“by registrations, I refer to the way students carve up their sensory experience, give labels to parts, and assign those labelled parts significance” (p. 9). While playing a video game the player notices patterns on the screen related to the way they interact with the controller. The combination of action on screen and controller use, identified as “significant” to the player, is a registration. Registrations are interpretive acts, and can be best understood as ways in which the player labels salient game features.

To analyze how players label registrations, I utilize diSessa’s (1993) notion of sense-of-mechanism. Core components of this sense-of-mechanism are hypothetical knowledge elements called phenomenological primitives, or p-prims. P-prims are very basic schematizations that help us explain phenomenon we experience in the real world and make predictions about situations we cannot see or are unfamiliar with.

Method
This study is based on ethnographic observations of three participants (Jason 12, Allen
10, and Justin 12) playing Burnout Paradise on the XBox 360, and Mario Kart Wii on the Nintendo Wii. Since the goal of this study was to identify learner’s unschooled, intuitive thinking, this age group was selected as the participants had not yet been exposed to formal physics education.
During the observations I conduced informal semi-clinical interviews, during which I would typically ask them to explain their actions in situations that involved changing velocity or acceleration of the cars in the video games. In some cases, I would ask them further questions inorder to clarify their initial responses. These interactions were videotaped. The data was then transcribed and coded inductively in an iterative process over multiple passes. Codes were verified and discussed with colleagues in an effort to minimize variability and maximizeinterpretation validity.

Results
During the observations velocity was the most discussed topic.
While observing Allen and Justin playing Mario Kart Wii, 58% of all conversations focused on velocity. In addition, 62% of all velocity discussions directly concerned the spatial relationships between the player’s vehicle and the competition (see Figure 1). For example, early in the interview Allen began talking about how fast he was going.

When asked how he knew he was going fast he quickly responded, “I’m in first! That pretty much tells me I’m going fast!” (5/7/09, Transcript). While playing with his brother Justin, the two continually referenced their ordinal position and their spatial separation as they argued about who was the better player. Statements such as “Oh man I’m in 4th! [...] this car isn’t going that fast!” (5/7/09, Transcript) were common. When asked how he knew he was going fast, Jason claimed, “You can tell like oh they’re going the speed limit and I’m going like 80 times faster than they are... See that guy all the way up there? And I just pass him like really quickly which proves that he was going really slow” (1/31/09,Transcript).

Players also suggested that the visual movement of the surroundings past their vehicle gave them an indication of their speed. Justin claimed he determines speed “from like stuff on the sidewalks and stuff on the streets like stop lights” (1/31/09, Transcript). This feature that was so salient to the players is likely an intentional game design choice--consistently spaced objects near the edge of the track were present in nearly all races. Justin references these objects when asked again about how he knew he was moving fast stating, “by comparing to other people, and by how fast the landscape is moving by” (5/7/09, Transcript).

Acceleration, a difficult topic for novices to identify, was rarely discussed explicitly. Typically participants identified it as either a static property of the chosen vehicle, or something that is intentionally enacted by the player through the use of games items, specific buttons, or by driving over a specific section of the track.
When playing Mario Kart Wii, Justin had a difficult time identifying acceleration as a dynamic quantity--talk typically involved speed as either fast or slow, but not a quantity that changes. However, when pushed to give an explanation of acceleration he put down his controller and acted out acceleration by referencing a static object (a stuffed fish) in the room.Justin states, “Well say...I’m running...that stuff is passing faster. Like I’m walking, see the fish is still there...but when I run, the fish passes by really fast. It’s kinda the same like that” (5/7/09,Transcript). When explicitly asked to define acceleration Justin simply stated, “acceleration is like how fast you speed up” (5/7/09, Transcript).

Players also referenced the game’s use of car attributes when discussing acceleration. Both games allow the player to select their vehicle. Each vehicle has a distinct list of “properties” complete with a bar representation of the property’s value (see Figure 2). Included in this list of properties are speed and acceleration. When selecting cars, Allen claims he chooses his car because, “this one has the best speed and acceleration” (5/7/09, Transcript). Later Justin suggests the importance of these static properties, “with bowser and his worse car you’ll probably be 12, where with baby mario and your fast car you’re in 1st” (5/7/09, Transcript).

Discussion
The purpose of this study was to identify video games features players registered as velocity and acceleration and to then connect these registrations to an intuitive interpretation. Players typically create registrations of velocity based on both spatial relationships between vehicles and the movement of the landscapes around the vehicle. Acceleration registrations were more vague, but seemed to involve intentional player actions (such as pressing a “boost” button) and the notion of acceleration as a static vehicle attribute (see Table 1).

In his work on phenomenological primatives, diSessa (1993) identifies a number of children’s p-prims which may account for some of the intuitive interpretations of velocity and acceleration enacted by players in this study. As seen in Table 2, the primitives “being ahead means going fasters,” and “getting to a goal first means having gone faster” (diSessa, 1993, p.224) account for the importance of spatial relationships and ordinal position. Justin and Allen’s tendency to continually reference their race position and make statements such as “I’m in 4th [...] so slow, what’s going on?” (5/7/09, Transcript) directly indicate these children’s p-prims. In addition, the importance of the moving surroundings in determining velocity is likely related to the “Passing means going faster” (diSessa, 1993, p. 224) p-prim. This primitive could also be relevant to the importance of the spatial relationship between players.

While players seem to be able to give a “text book” definition when asked explicitly about acceleration, their interpretation of acceleration in the game focuses on static vehicle attributes and the player’s use of the controller. While there are analog buttons for both “gas” and “brake” that read varying pressures applied, players typically “mash” button. When I asked Justin if the game had a “brake” button he stated, “Yeah but I never use it [...] mostly I hold the gas down. Maybe once or twice I’ll let go but I never brake” (5/7/09, Transcript). It’s possible this could be an enactment of Ohm’s p-prim, that “an agent or casual impetus acts through aresistance or interference to produce a result” (diSessa, 1993, p. 217). Wanting to make the car accelerate faster they intuit that they must press the button as hard as they can.

Conclusions
This study highlights the complex nature of intuitive thinking involved while participants
play these games. Due to the exploratory nature of this study and the limited diversity in participants, findings may not necessarily be generalizable. An expanded version of this study currently underway will utilize a larger and more diverse participant pool and alternate analogous activities to identify unique differences in intuitive ideas of velocity and acceleration in the game environment.

It’s clear that player’s intuitive ideas about velocity, acceleration, and momentum are involved during their interactions with these video game environments. Player’s ideas of velocity and acceleration in the game world are shaped by their conception of the spatial relationship between their car and competition cars. In addition, players typically identify the“movement” of structures surrounding their car as another indicator of velocity and acceleration. Unfortunately, player descriptions seemed to indicate that they think of velocity and acceleration in the game as static quantities. While descriptions of velocity and acceleration were difficult to distinguish, the idea of velocity and acceleration as static attributes of a car seemed to be at least somewhat related to typical controller use and the video game’s design of cars quickly reaching their top speed.

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]
I tried the Garden of Dreams and I think maybe I just have incredibly good intuition rather than actually sensing what's going to happen. I couldn't really seem to connect with it.

Then I made the connection that in games like mahjong, or an FPS, there is a meta game there and I actually have a vast amount of information to make intuitive decisions. After playing thousands of games, I can just know things I suppose. Maybe I'm receiving incredibly subtle and subconscious information somehow.

With that browser game I was just straight up guessing. I didn't get any feelings at all, not even wrong ones.

@Skarekrow
I tried the Garden of Dreams and I think maybe I just have incredibly good intuition rather than actually sensing what's going to happen. I couldn't really seem to connect with it.

Then I made the connection that in games like mahjong, or an FPS, there is a meta game there and I actually have a vast amount of information to make intuitive decisions. After playing thousands of games, I can just know things I suppose. Maybe I'm receiving incredibly subtle and subconscious information somehow.

With that browser game I was just straight up guessing. I didn't get any feelings at all, not even wrong ones.

Well...it would be interesting to actually see the parameters of the algorithm they use for those “games”. At the same time too...perhaps it doesn’t have to do with intuition and more with the “psi” regions of our brains...part of the reason for those “games” according to the description is to see if there is a change in the results over an extended period of time...by actively trying to use the “psychically”-based intentions in our minds...such as trying to get the butterfly to the bush against the wind...yes...it does seem randomly effected by whatever the game’s parameters are...but perhaps those can be altered with practice. Just because we may consider ourselves “above-average” when it comes to our psychic abilities doesn’t mean that such “games” should be a piece of cake for us....it is essentially asking our minds to actively, as opposed to intuitively participate.

Also here is a rather fun game that I tend to do well at and can win
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/bamboo/bamboo.html

The goal is to make a hand with four sequences and a pair before the opponent does. You have to check that it is a valid hand for yourself, the game won't automatically tell you that you can win like other mahjong games do - the buttons are always there and if you get it wrong you are penalized.

It is pretty simple compared to four player mahjong. It only has one suit, no honors, you cannot call melds off the opponent and there's no particular score requirement to go out, you just have to be first. You can still win on the opponents discarded tile as usual.

To win you have to get 300,000 points. If you're reduced to 0 points you lose.

Also I wonder if there's anything to do with the fact that I'm so fascinated by chaos. I seem to have a thing with random elements.

I don't always pick right but if I'm in good form I will at least avoid picking the worst kind of wrong usually. So I don't always win but most of the time I don't lose terribly either unless I'm way off my game.

But some times I just know I'm going to win and can just throw stuff around and it falls into place. Like it is preordained and I really have little to do with it, I'm just carrying it out. That is what it feels like to me.

@Skarekrow

Also I wonder if there's anything to do with the fact that I'm so fascinated by chaos. I seem to have a thing with random elements.

I don't always pick right but if I'm in good form I will at least avoid picking the worst kind of wrong usually. So I don't always win but most of the time I don't lose terribly either unless I'm way off my game.

But some times I just know I'm going to win and can just throw stuff around and it falls into place. Like it is preordained and I really have little to do with it, I'm just carrying it out. That is what it feels like to me.

I gotcha...
I actually feel like I use my intuition ALOT at work during surgery...part of my job is to know the procedures well enough to know what is going to happen next, also to know the patterns and surgical style of the surgeon well enough to predict their next move.
But sometimes it goes beyond that...as if I can read their mind...which perhaps I can do to a certain extent (at least that is what I believe) this is part of what makes me extremely good at what I do...I am not just being pretentious...I AM good at surgery...I am one of only four at the hospital where I work that can first assist open heart surgery...they don’t just let any old slob in the heart room...lol.
Speaking of reading the minds of the surgeons though...there are one or two who I simply cannot read whatsoever, and it is funny what a difference it makes...everything still goes smoothly since I have been scrubbing for around 12 years now, but the precognition that seems to be there is lacking...it’s noticeable to me anyhow.
It’s funny sometimes because very often I am two or three steps beyond what the surgeon is focused on doing...I will have 2-3 instruments lined up in my hand and will pass them in the subsequent order...sometimes the surgeon won’t even notice that we have gone for 10-15 minutes without him ever having to specifically ask for something...lol.
They will finally look up with a quizzical look and compliment me...lol. There have even been instances where I have directed the surgeon to do this instead of that because it seems to be the “correct” thing to do...that is a thin line to walk though since most of them are egomaniacs and feel the need to always be correct....lol.
But once they know me and that I am competent, it isn’t an issue.

I gotcha...
I actually feel like I use my intuition ALOT at work during surgery...part of my job is to know the procedures well enough to know what is going to happen next, also to know the patterns and surgical style of the surgeon well enough to predict their next move.
But sometimes it goes beyond that...as if I can read their mind...which perhaps I can do to a certain extent (at least that is what I believe) this is part of what makes me extremely good at what I do...I am not just being pretentious...I AM good at surgery...I am one of only four at the hospital where I work that can first assist open heart surgery...they don’t just let any old slob in the heart room...lol.
Speaking of reading the minds of the surgeons though...there are one or two who I simply cannot read whatsoever, and it is funny what a difference it makes...everything still goes smoothly since I have been scrubbing for around 12 years now, but the precognition that seems to be there is lacking...it’s noticeable to me anyhow.
It’s funny sometimes because very often I am two or three steps beyond what the surgeon is focused on doing...I will have 2-3 instruments lined up in my hand and will pass them in the subsequent order...sometimes the surgeon won’t even notice that we have gone for 10-15 minutes without him ever having to specifically ask for something...lol.
They will finally look up with a quizzical look and compliment me...lol. There have even been instances where I have directed the surgeon to do this instead of that because it seems to be the “correct” thing to do...that is a thin line to walk though since most of them are egomaniacs and feel the need to always be correct....lol.

Yeah that is a great sign.

A lot of times people know what they're doing but just get a little caught up and need a nudge in a new direction.

Nobody should be expected to be perfect 100% of the time. This of course isn't an excuse for negligence or profound incompetence, but you're in a situation where you have to do it right so some times it may be better to work together than go it entirely alone. Somebody who is rigid and always dependent on their own accumulated knowledge and disregards their peers might be a liability waiting to happen.

See this thing here? It is a clearing barrel. You might know all about these.
imjles.jpg

They are used to ensure a clear weapon without putting other people or property in danger if there's a discharge. Nobody should be putting bullets into one of these. If the weapon is handled properly it should be clear. So why do these exist?

Because if you knew an accident was going to happen, it wouldn't be an accident, it'd be an on purpose.

That is such a great program...I have linked them many, many times on this thread!
I especially like the ability to watch the real-time data come in from the different visualizations they have set up.
They have conclusively proven that there is a collective consciousness...the chance that the data collected is just random and there isn’t something significant going on would have to be about a hundred billion to one.
I would say that is pretty conclusive.

Agreed!

I was astounded at the research conclusions. This led me to look for more kinds of mass consciousness research. I was so excited to find the studies where 100 meditators influenced the crime in Washington DC. Then there was the very large group who influenced the fighting during the Lebanon war(i think it was that one) by reducing acts of terrorism and violence.

I do know my meditation improved greatly by meditating with a group of people.

Skarekrow....find yourself a meditation group. There's am American Buddhist temple there in Portland and they have 2 groups who sit together. I almost attended one while I was there.
It gets you out of your element where all the habits are entrenched. PLUS you get the added benefit of becoming entrained with others who can get into their center. The same power of the collective in those large group studies are there in small groups as well.

I gotcha...

This is so cool to read! You are channeling the love(energy) of the universe through you to aid the patient during surgery. You are a healer. :love:

I wonder if those surgeons you cannot get a read on have closed off their energy fields so no one can "get in"?

Agreed!

I was astounded at the research conclusions. This led me to look for more kinds of mass consciousness research. I was so excited to find the studies where 100 meditators influenced the crime in Washington DC. Then there was the very large group who influenced the fighting during the Lebanon war(i think it was that one) by reducing acts of terrorism and violence.

I do know my meditation improved greatly by meditating with a group of people.

Skarekrow....find yourself a meditation group. There's am American Buddhist temple there in Portland and they have 2 groups who sit together. I almost attended one while I was there.
It gets you out of your element where all the habits are entrenched. PLUS you get the added benefit of becoming entrained with others who can get into their center. The same power of the collective in those large group studies are there in small groups as well.
I would like to attend something like that...I’ll have to ask my older brother...he’s Buddhist so there is a good chance he has been there while he lived in Portland.
Thanks for the suggestion!
This is so cool to read! You are channeling the love(energy) of the universe through you to aid the patient during surgery. You are a healer. :love:

I wonder if those surgeons you cannot get a read on have closed off their energy fields so no one can "get in"?
You know, it is VERY easy for people in my profession to forget that it is a person underneath all the surgical drapes...they don’t move...you see a square of skin for the surgical site...etc. I always try to remember...even for me though it can be hard to keep that in the forefront of your mind.
Those surgeons who I cannot read I think may be of a specific MBTI type...there is one, I swear she is an ISTJ...there is just no connection there at all.

Yeah that is a great sign.

A lot of times people know what they're doing but just get a little caught up and need a nudge in a new direction.

Nobody should be expected to be perfect 100% of the time. This of course isn't an excuse for negligence or profound incompetence, but you're in a situation where you have to do it right so some times it may be better to work together than go it entirely alone. Somebody who is rigid and always dependent on their own accumulated knowledge and disregards their peers might be a liability waiting to happen.

See this thing here? It is a clearing barrel. You might know all about these.
imjles.jpg

They are used to ensure a clear weapon without putting other people or property in danger if there's a discharge. Nobody should be putting bullets into one of these. If the weapon is handled properly it should be clear. So why do these exist?

Because if you knew an accident was going to happen, it wouldn't be an accident, it'd be an on purpose.
You speak the truth Oh wise one!

A Sideways Look at the Neurobiology of Psi: Precognition and Circadian Rhythms

David Luke, Karolina Zychowicz, Olga Richterova, Inna Tjurina, Jelena Polonnikova

Theory suggests that the chemicals made in the pineal gland follow a circadian rhythm and may be important in the processes of sleeping and dreaming, and it is speculated that these chemicals may also be important in the mediation of spontaneous mystical and visionary states, and in the mediation of psi (clairvoyance, telepathy, precognition or psychokinesis).

The abundance of one such chemical, melatonin, is known to fluctuate cyclically, nevertheless very little research has been conducted to test whether peak melatonin periods (3am) are more conducive to psi than lower melatonin periods (e.g., 8am). The present study tested for precognition among ten participants across ten nights each, both during the night and first thing in the morning. Two types of test were used on each occasion: A 10-trial forced-choice precognition task and a single-trial free-recall dream precognition task, and it was predicted that dream psi performance would be better than forced-choice psi, particularly in the middle of the night when compared to performance in the morning.

A number of other factors were also monitored for the possible relationship to psi performance, including belief in psi, belief in the paranormal and openness to experience. Both precognition task overall sample scores were non-significant, but dream precognition performance was significantly better at 3am than 8am, whereas the reverse was true for forced choice task, as predicted, although the interaction was not significant. None of the personality measures were found to correlate with precognition task performance, as might be expected with such a small sample size. The findings point to the importance of exploring circadian cycles in the research of psi, and offer tentative support for the psi-pineal gland hypothesis.

Full text - PDF http://www.neuroquantology.com/index.php/journal/article/download/614/546

Last edited:
Back